Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2018 HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: 2018 HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2018, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by alphaeagle
I just called and placed an AA+BA award on hold. The reason I called was the exact combination of flights wasn't available online. Is that a good enough reason to have the phone fee waived, since while AA and BA could be booked online the flights I wanted couldn't be?

The agent suggested I use multi-city to force the option, but I had tried that. It never said the correct price on the initial screen (after selecting the flights, where you fill in your name). And after that screen I'd get an error message saying the page can not be found.

Thought I could just ticket it online after being placed on hold, but I guess they closed that loophole since it requires me to call in.
Use the multi-city award-booking engine to place your desired flights on hold. Note the PNR, and then call AA to have an agent re-price the itinerary as a single award. Then, go back to the held award -- which should now be priced correctly -- at aa.com, and purchase the award.

If aa.com is not letting you hold a multi-city itinerary (even one that is incorrectly priced), inform an agent of the problem. If the agent is not willing to be waive the phone-booking fee because of malfunction of aa.com, ask to be transferred to Internet support, where an agent should be able to help you out.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 10:06 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by guv1976
Use the multi-city award-booking engine to place your desired flights on hold. Note the PNR, and then call AA to have an agent re-price the itinerary as a single award. Then, go back to the held award -- which should now be priced correctly -- at aa.com, and purchase the award.

If aa.com is not letting you hold a multi-city itinerary (even one that is incorrectly priced), inform an agent of the problem. If the agent is not willing to be waive the phone-booking fee because of malfunction of aa.com, ask to be transferred to Internet support, where an agent should be able to help you out.
Thanks, I couldn't get it to hold, or any other random flights I tried, when doing multi-city. Always would get a page saying "this page has flown away" or something like that. Maybe that's a temporary issue, but I seem to recall it happening before. Tried different browsers in case that was the issue with the same result.

I already have it on hold and took the last seat on one of the flights, not ready to ticket it quite yet but I'll try your advice about internet support if the first agent is unable to waive it.

Last edited by alphaeagle; Jul 27, 2018 at 10:13 pm
Old Jul 28, 2018, 12:45 am

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Plat
I tried looking for an award from AUS-MCO in the first week of October and some of the flights had a 12 hr layover in DFW. Is this normal now?
Old Jul 28, 2018, 4:01 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by living near shamu
I tried looking for an award from AUS-MCO in the first week of October and some of the flights had a 12 hr layover in DFW. Is this normal now?
I see various options on October 1, 2, 3, and 6 with short layovers (~1 hour, or longer if you want longer).
Old Jul 28, 2018, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold

Place an itinerary on hold and call AA to see if they can find something that doesn't have a 12-hour layover.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 5:29 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Increasingly so when you're looking for domestic saver awards. Of course as Platinum you would get free standby so if you can't find anything else you want you can book what they're offering and hope for a schedule change or just go standby that day.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 3:42 pm

Looking at LAX-CPH next year on either May 5 or May 29, 2019. Is AA typically stingy in the month of May? I've never seen so few LAX-LHR nonstops, even when willing to spend more miles and willing to consider the BA surcharge if absolutely needed.

I though Finnair might have better options to Denmark, but they don't. Any other One World partners to try?

thanks
Old Jul 31, 2018, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by cheaptom
Looking at LAX-CPH next year on either May 5 or May 29, 2019. Is AA typically stingy in the month of May? I've never seen so few LAX-LHR nonstops, even when willing to spend more miles and willing to consider the BA surcharge if absolutely needed.

I though Finnair might have better options to Denmark, but they don't. Any other One World partners to try?

thanks
You're looking way too far in advance. Lots of options will open up between now and then, just keep an eye on it.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by cheaptom

thanks
Not oneworld, but call AA and see if they can construct a routing with Air Tahiti Nui LAX-CDG.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Not oneworld, but call AA and see if they can construct a routing with Air Tahiti Nui LAX-CDG.
Thanks, 3C. I hadn't thought of Tahiti. They have great itineraries that work for me via CDG, but No award seats available on Expert Flyer, but it won't hurt to call and ask AA.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 1:10 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, Marriott Silver
This may be related to "phantom" availability, but EF is showing "Yes" to Business sAAver seats on IB 6274 ORD-MAD on May 17, 2019 but I can't find it bookable online anywhere. Phone agents have also been unable to find this availability either. Any tips or something else I can try? Ultimately trying to end up in FLR (which is also showing "Yes" in business on IB)

Currently have this itinerary booked in coach but want to avoid that on the TATL segment if at all possible. Not really concerned about any connecting domestic legs.

TIA!
Old Aug 5, 2018, 3:29 pm

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by gradboozer
This may be related to "phantom" availability, but EF is showing "Yes" to Business sAAver seats on IB 6274 ORD-MAD on May 17, 2019 but I can't find it bookable online anywhere. Phone agents have also been unable to find this availability either. Any tips or something else I can try? Ultimately trying to end up in FLR (which is also showing "Yes" in business on IB)

Currently have this itinerary booked in coach but want to avoid that on the TATL segment if at all possible. Not really concerned about any connecting domestic legs.

TIA!
FWIW BA and JL award searches show no J award availability ORD-MAD on IB that day. QF does show J award availbility.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gradboozer
Phone agents have also been unable to find this availability either.
Phone agents in which country?

I thought I just read something the other day (in some thread on this forum) where someone was unable to do an award booking on some OW airline using AA's domestic agents, and then reached AA agents in another country where they're using Amadeus and there they were able to book it (because the OW airline they were trying to book uses Amadeus instead of Sabre which is what AA uses).

FYI: Sabre and Amadeus are two different airline reservation systems. I don't know why AA agents based somewhere else have access a different airline reservation system than AA uses, but apparently they do.

But sorry, I don't know the trick to getting AA agents using Amadeus vs agents using Sabre.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 10:31 am

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by cheltzel
FWIW BA and JL award searches show no J award availability ORD-MAD on IB that day. QF does show J award availbility.
I was able to find it on QF as well. Does that mean I should be able to book it via AA?

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Phone agents in which country?

I thought I just read something the other day (in some thread on this forum) where someone was unable to do an award booking on some OW airline using AA's domestic agents, and then reached AA agents in another country where they're using Amadeus and there they were able to book it (because the OW airline they were trying to book uses Amadeus instead of Sabre which is what AA uses).

FYI: Sabre and Amadeus are two different airline reservation systems. I don't know why AA agents based somewhere else have access a different airline reservation system than AA uses, but apparently they do.

But sorry, I don't know the trick to getting AA agents using Amadeus vs agents using Sabre.
This is interesting. I called the US number.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 9:24 pm

AA Miles

Hi,

I am trying to book 4 coach award tickets to Venice.
i was online at 331. There was nothing on AA only a combination of BA with AA. But if I go forward to Sunday they do have. Will they open flights? Trying to fly on a Wednesday of June 2019.

thank you!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.