Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2018 HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: 2018 HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2018, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by david55
I just discovered that I can put on hold an award reservation for the two of us even if all the miles are not in one account. Can I do that and then call CS to ask that the miles be deducted for each ticket from each of our own AA accounts? ( we each have just enough miles in each account for a ow ticket). Thanks
Yes you can do that. But they will have to split the PNR to take miles from separate accounts. Alternatively you can both put separate reservations on hold and just book the tix separately online from each of your accounts.
Old May 14, 2018, 7:01 am

I booked saavers flights Lax-HI 12,500 each leg- booking code T used Avios to book (thru BA site) what does this mean for baggage allowance? I can't find info anywhere- I suspect it might mean no carryon in overhead allowance?-thanks
Old May 14, 2018, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by hsmama
I booked saavers flights Lax-HI 12,500 each leg- booking code T used Avios to book (thru BA site) what does this mean for baggage allowance? I can't find info anywhere- I suspect it might mean no carryon in overhead allowance?-thanks
Awards on AA are still treated as normal economy, so no problem to bring a carry on bag plus personal item with overhead bin use. Its only the paid Basic Economy fares that do not have a carry on allowance outside of an underseat personal item.
Old May 14, 2018, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Awards on AA are still treated as normal economy, so no problem to bring a carry on bag plus personal item with overhead bin use. Its only the paid Basic Economy fares that do not have a carry on allowance outside of an underseat personal item.
What? This is way better than I expected! So I can safely expect to bring my carryon and stow it with these fares!?! (I don't check bags unless I absolutely have no other choice)
Old May 14, 2018, 8:38 am

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by hsmama
What? This is way better than I expected! So I can safely expect to bring my carryon and stow it with these fares!?! (I don't check bags unless I absolutely have no other choice)
1 carry on and 1 personal item, consistent with paid ticket (except B fare)
Old May 15, 2018, 2:51 pm

I have the following options for returning from an international trip in business. I need to end up in AUS (or SAT worst case). I can't find a single domestic flight that I think will work from those cities to AUS/SAT. Am I missing something or is AA award space just garbage? If I understand everything correctly, I can't search segment by segment (ex: ORD-DFW then DFW-AUS) due to married segment rules and I can't have a connection longer than 4 hours... is that all correct? Thanks

JFK 7/3 18:10
SFO 7/28 13:30
LAX 7/8 11:40
ORD 6/25 8:50
Old May 15, 2018, 3:22 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by omghaxcode
I have the following options for returning from an international trip in business. I need to end up in AUS (or SAT worst case). I can't find a single domestic flight that I think will work from those cities to AUS/SAT. Am I missing something or is AA award space just garbage? If I understand everything correctly, I can't search segment by segment (ex: ORD-DFW then DFW-AUS) due to married segment rules and I can't have a connection longer than 4 hours... is that all correct? Thanks

JFK 7/3 18:10
SFO 7/28 13:30
LAX 7/8 11:40
ORD 6/25 8:50
On an international award, you have 24hrs to connect, even for domestic legs.
Old May 15, 2018, 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by flyingeph12

On an international award, you have 24hrs to connect, even for domestic legs.
Can I build the connections though? Basically I still can't find anything so I was wondering if I can do X-Y then Y-AUS even if X-Y-AUS doesn't show in results.
Old May 15, 2018, 5:00 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Can I build the connections though? Basically I still can't find anything so I was wondering if I can do X-Y then Y-AUS even if X-Y-AUS doesn't show in results.
Yes, you can. If you see availability separately for X-Y and Y-AUS, you can put X-Y on hold then call AA to have them tack on Y-AUS. As long as Y is in the US, it should be the same award miles. Assuming the 24-hr constraint as noted, of course.
Old May 16, 2018, 12:38 am

Yes, you can. AA.com will only show you results with 4-hour connections if you search X-AUS, but you can actually spend up to 24 hours at any connection point on an international award, so searching individual segments may be fruitful.
Old May 16, 2018, 7:52 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Yes, you can. AA.com will only show you results with 4-hour connections if you search X-AUS, but you can actually spend up to 24 hours at any connection point on an international award, so searching individual segments may be fruitful.
I may not be completely understanding your answer but I have been watching AA awards from ATH -SEA on BA and the connection options through LHR have been offered online with as much as 22 hours in between flights giving us a whole day in London to play.
Old May 16, 2018, 7:53 am

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Biz/First seats not available one leg of saaver award

I have noticed an increasing trend for 1-stop domestic/Mexico Biz/First saaver awards, where the premium cabin is immediately available from the hub to/from the ultimate destination, but not the origin to/from the hub - despite the fact that all/most of the premium cabin seats show as available on the seat map.
Example: SAN-CUN in July 2018, January 2019. For CUN-CLT-SAN, Saaver award offered CUN-CLT in biz/first, but CLT-SAN in coach; SAN-DFW-CUN offered SAN-DFW in coach, DFW-CUN in biz first (787-9 !?!). Similar situation SAN-EYW in October 2018.
This has been quite common for connections through LUS hubs, first time I have noticed for DFW, not yet seen for other LAA hubs.

From a practical perspective, this makes Expert Flyer much less effective, as it does not send alerts for such mixed itineraries - and at the same time more important, for notification when origin to/from hub seats are released.

Safe to assume the premium cabin seats will ultimately become available?
Old May 16, 2018, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Safe, as in 95% probability? I wouldn't assume that. See the 'more availability/married segments' thread that notes availability to/from hubs can be reserved for longer itins. If saver coach is available on one segment and business/first the other, risk a booking and set an EF alert on the coach segment.
Old May 16, 2018, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by david55
I may not be completely understanding your answer but I have been watching AA awards from ATH -SEA on BA and the connection options through LHR have been offered online with as much as 22 hours in between flights giving us a whole day in London to play.
I was responding specifically to the OP's situation of trying to find a domestic leg as part of a larger international award. My understanding is that OP was trying to find X-AUS, where X = one of AA's gateways, in which case any search of X-AUS on AA.com will reveal only itineraries with 4-hour connections, even though when part of an international award, up to 24 hours is permitted. When searching for something like ATH-SEA, AA will show itineraries with connections of up to 24 hours. Hope that clarifies.
Old May 16, 2018, 12:20 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

I was responding specifically to the OP's situation of trying to find a domestic leg as part of a larger international award. My understanding is that OP was trying to find X-AUS, where X = one of AA's gateways, in which case any search of X-AUS on AA.com will reveal only itineraries with 4-hour connections, even though when part of an international award, up to 24 hours is permitted. When searching for something like ATH-SEA, AA will show itineraries with connections of up to 24 hours. Hope that clarifies.
Thanks.... it does....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.