Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2018 HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: 2018 HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2018, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Does anyone know the latest Exception Rule for Europe to South Pacific?

The old exception table says:
Europe to/from South Pacific can connect in Singapore or Bangkok only. Note: this may have been updated to include Bangkok, Doha, Hong Kong, Osaka, Singapore or Tokyo.

Can we now go thru DOH, HKG, and NRT?

Is there any exception rule for Europe to Africa?
Old Jan 22, 2018, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Happy

Europe to/from South Pacific can connect in Singapore or Bangkok only. Note: this may have been updated to include Bangkok, Doha, Hong Kong, Osaka, Singapore or Tokyo.

Europe to South Pacific can connect in DOH, DXB (QF to QF), or pretty much anywhere in Asia 1 or Asia 2. In addition to the 'usual' points of HKG, SIN, BKK, etc, I've seen routings via NRT, PVG, PEK, KUL, ICN, you name it. AA.com will show you these if you can find availability.

No 3rd region exceptions for Europe to Africa that I'm aware of, unfortunately.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Happy

Europe to South Pacific can connect in DOH, DXB (QF to QF), or pretty much anywhere in Asia 1 or Asia 2. In addition to the 'usual' points of HKG, SIN, BKK, etc, I've seen routings via NRT, PVG, PEK, KUL, ICN, you name it. AA.com will show you these if you can find availability.

Old Jan 22, 2018, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
I forgot we actually flew QR to QR ZAG-DOH-SYD in June 2016. Need to call if flying QR or CX though.
Bummer. AA chart is already more expensive than UA chart - last night when I checked randomly, there are plenty of SA availability on the long leg at 55K and the taxes are reasonable depending on departing and connecting airports. The lowest I saw was in $50ish.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I forgot we actually flew QR to QR ZAG-DOH-SYD in June 2016. Need to call if flying QR or CX though.
Bummer. AA chart is already more expensive than UA chart - last night when I checked randomly, there are plenty of SA availability on the long leg at 55K and the taxes are reasonable depending on departing and connecting airports. The lowest I saw was in $50ish.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 2:33 pm

For award tickets (saver level awards), are routing changes that involve co-terminals possible?
For example, if I have YYZ-JFK-LAX, and want to change it to YYZ-LGA/JFK-LAX (the schedule for YYZ-LGA works better for me), is this change allowed, and if it is, am I expected to pay a change fee/change in miles?
Thank you -!
Old Jan 23, 2018, 2:33 pm

For award tickets (saver level awards), are routing changes that involve co-terminals possible?
For example, if I have YYZ-JFK-LAX, and want to change it to YYZ-LGA/JFK-LAX (the schedule for YYZ-LGA works better for me), is this change allowed, and if it is, am I expected to pay a change fee/change in miles?
Thank you -!
Old Jan 23, 2018, 3:47 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by agjil
Thank you -!
No charge as long as it remains YYZ-LAX.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 3:47 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Thank you -!
No charge as long as it remains YYZ-LAX.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thank you -!
No change fee if the change of co-terminal is at the connection point, but there is no free change of co-terminal if it is either at the Origin or at the Destination.

Keep in mind you would need to have ample time to make your way from LGA to JFK. Can be a stressful situation when things do not go as hoped for. (your YYZ flight delay, the traffic between LGA and JFK... etc etc)
Old Jan 23, 2018, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thank you -!
No change fee if the change of co-terminal is at the connection point, but there is no free change of co-terminal if it is either at the Origin or at the Destination.

Keep in mind you would need to have ample time to make your way from LGA to JFK. Can be a stressful situation when things do not go as hoped for. (your YYZ flight delay, the traffic between LGA and JFK... etc etc)
Old Jan 23, 2018, 5:24 pm

Programs: AA, BA
Economy Milesaaver Help

I'm trying to fly from DFW to OGG on March 12 using Milesasaver points for four tickets. There are no Milesaaver flights (direct or connecting). When I search DFW to HNL, there is a flight from DFW to LAX that arrives at 12:27 pm. When I search SFO to OGG, there are available flights from SFO to LAX to OGG. The LAX to OGG leaves at 2:27 pm. I called American and asked if they could put the two flights together. Itinerary would be:

DFW to LAX AA 2404 (this is the first portion of the DFW to HNL flights)
LAX to OGG AA 205 (this is the second portion of the SFO to OGG flights)

The AAdvantage rep could not help me. Checked with his help desk and they couldn't either. Anyone have experience with this? Any advice? I know I can fly DFW to HNL then OGG, but I'm trying to get DFW to OGG without going through HNL (which is either extra miles or paid tickets). Thanks.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 5:24 pm

Programs: AA, BA
Economy Milesaaver Help

I'm trying to fly from DFW to OGG on March 12 using Milesasaver points for four tickets. There are no Milesaaver flights (direct or connecting). When I search DFW to HNL, there is a flight from DFW to LAX that arrives at 12:27 pm. When I search SFO to OGG, there are available flights from SFO to LAX to OGG. The LAX to OGG leaves at 2:27 pm. I called American and asked if they could put the two flights together. Itinerary would be:

The AAdvantage rep could not help me. Checked with his help desk and they couldn't either. Anyone have experience with this? Any advice? I know I can fly DFW to HNL then OGG, but I'm trying to get DFW to OGG without going through HNL (which is either extra miles or paid tickets). Thanks.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by kentleytx

The problem you are running into is called "married-segment availability." The LAX-OGG award seats are available to passengers originating at SFO, but not to passengers originating at DFW.

Keep in mind that AA now permits up to 18 hours to connect between the Mainland and Hawaii on an all-AA itinerary, but aa.com might not show such connections even if they are available. Search for segments individually, and if you find anything suitable, put them on hold; then call AA and ask the agent to re-price the held itinerary as a single award, reminding the agent of the special 18-hour connection rule.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by kentleytx

The problem you are running into is called "married-segment availability." The LAX-OGG award seats are available to passengers originating at SFO, but not to passengers originating at DFW.

Keep in mind that AA now permits up to 18 hours to connect between the Mainland and Hawaii on an all-AA itinerary, but aa.com might not show such connections even if they are available. Search for segments individually, and if you find anything suitable, put them on hold; then call AA and ask the agent to re-price the held itinerary as a single award, reminding the agent of the special 18-hour connection rule.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.