Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

DFW and the AA / C. R. Smith Museum in Dallas (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 2, 2015, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
C. R. Smith Museum
American Airlines history, 1940 DC-3 "Flagship Knoxville" NC-21798

American Airlines C.R. Smith Museum
4601 Texas Highway 360
Fort Worth, Texas 76155
817-967-1560
Online store: http://store.crsmithmuseum.org/store/

Hours: The Museum is open Tuesday through Saturday from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. The Museum is closed on Sundays and Mondays. See site for exceptions (summer Sundays)

Guides: most are volunteers, retired AA employees.

Tickets: Museum Members: No Charge
Adult – $7;
Senior Citizens 65+, Military, Students (with ID), Children 2-17: $4:, Infants: No Charge

The C.R. Smith Museum takes visitors on a flight through American Airlines history, with interactive exhibits that entice participation by all age groups. The museum features hundreds of historical artifacts, photographs, full-scale aircraft engines and a rare Douglas DC-3 airliner. In addition, the museum’s state of the art 4K digital theater features Pursuit of Flight, a film, featuring the history and physics of aviation from ancient times through today.(Some memorabilia from TW, US, HP as well.)

Flyable AA Douglas DC-3 NC-21798 "Flagship Knoxville" - c/n 2202, built NOV 1940

More photos: link to Airways Magazine photos of C. R. Smith Museum

Link to Brendan Healey's photos of museum

Getting there:

From DFW airport: taxi (three miles, $19.50 each way due to taxi minima)

Über.

Unofficial: look for crew bus area, take AA Training and Conference Center / Flight Academy shuttle bus (half-hourly) and get dropped off at Museum. N. B. Transport is space available only (employees on business have priority).

Originally Posted by JonNYC
These are directions for free van transport to the American Airlines Training and Conference Center, which I think is right on the same plot (and same side of the highway, I think.)

And generic driving instructions (but not to the Museum specifically-- to AATCC):
"From D/FW Airport:
Take the South exit out of DFW. Take the Highway 360 South Arlington exit, which bears to the right. Exit 1/4 mile onto the access road to FAA Road. Continue to the three-way stop sign. Go straight through intersection. "

Address of the Smith Museum:
4601 Texas Highway 360 at FAA Road
Fort Worth, Texas
Originally Posted by Aldoman
I'll be having a 6 hour stopover at DFW and I really want to go to the museum, but I'm a cheap student not willing to spend more than a couple of bucks to go there so I made some googling and what I could get was:

1.- You take the shuttle from your terminal to the South Remote Parking Lot. (I believe it's free, and every 15min)
2.- You take the shuttle from the South Remote Parking Lot to the "Centreport/DFW" TRE Station. (I believe it's free, and every 15 min)
3.- You take the "T 30 Centreport Circulator" which costs $1.50 o/w from the Centerport/DFW TRE Station to the AA Flight Academy. The catch: It's only Monday through Friday, 1 bus every 45 minutes and it just works during commuting time (6:00 to 8:00 and 15:00 to 18:00)...

Update: 2 Aug 2015 JDiver
Print Wikipost

DFW and the AA / C. R. Smith Museum in Dallas (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2008, 11:41 pm
Suspended

I did not want to chance being refused entry on the bus back to the airport because they wouldn't let me get on at the airport. I hired a cab and asked the driver to meet me again in an hour. The cabbie then went to lunch. He later said that if he knew it was free, he would have gone to the museum instead of eating a greasy taco.
Old Aug 15, 2008, 12:25 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards/AAdvantage
is it free again?? if so I will take my son.....
Old Aug 15, 2008, 3:47 am

Programs: AAdvantage PLT, AA 2MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Paint Horse
miamigrad is correct. It is just past the south entrance to the airport. Should be an easy cab ride. However, I do not know about getting back to the airport. From the outside it looks interesting, but I have yet to go in.
codeshare on YellowCab, perhaps?
Old Aug 15, 2008, 6:52 am

Programs: SWA - A-list, AA Gold, Hilton Gold
One other thing to factor in, if you take a cab, is that there is a minimum $20 (or so) charge if the cab leaves the airport grounds.
Old Aug 15, 2008, 8:09 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
JDiver doesn't live here.

I have used (semi-shhh!) the crew bus from the AA terminals to the AA Academy right next to the museum, as long as there is plenty of space on the shuttle, and back as well. But, yep, it is a pricey cab ride if it's full or they decide we might get too litigious or whatever and refuse us "geese."

American Airlines
C.R. Smith Museum
817-967-1560

WEBSITE

American Airlines C.R. Smith Museum
4601 Texas Highway 360 at FAA Road

MUSEUM HOURS
Tuesday-Saturday, 10 a.m. - 6 p.m.
Closed Sunday and Monday
Holiday Hours

MUSEUM GIFT SHOP
Tuesday-Saturday, 10 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.

MUSEUM ADMISSION
Museum Members: Free

Non-members:
Adult: $4
Senior Citizens Age 55+: $2
Students (with ID): $2
Children 2-12: $2
Children Under 2: Free

Organized Group Rate
$1 per person (10 or more)

"The museum is a non-profit organization publicly funded by the generous gifts of corporate partners, AMR employees, AMR retirees and museum friends. The museum is operated by the C.R. Smith Aviation Museum Foundation and emphasizes learning through hands-on displays."

I think the admission is a bargain. They run a retrospective of AA in the theatre periodically, the DC-3 ("Flagship Knoxville," but no Flagship Suites here!) is amazingly and beautifully restored (and an abject lesson in "How AA used to be") and they have some nice displays of things old Americana, from uniforms to engines, simulators, instruments, etc. There's a gift shop as well.

I'm a sucker for spending a two dollar bill here - my bum became flat from riding AA (and my family's) DC-3s when MEX-MTY-SAT took the entire day, and one or two of the volunteers go back to those days.

I do not know if there is anything remotely resembling public transit to get there, and it is not near a car rental facility so you could Hertz rental shuttle or the like, but perhaps one of our more informed DFW (or Euless or Hurst?) folks knows better.

Originally Posted by 777GalE
I'm, actually, surprised JDiver isn't on this. He has all the information. And, quite knowledgeable re: the Museum. <snip>
Old Aug 15, 2008, 8:26 am
Suspended

I went there last year and was in DFW specifically for this! (and the JFK museum) and think it is really good for the price.

They have many exhibits (including a pair fo F Class seats (similar to the coffins, but I think maybe slightly different).

Also there is a shop there with many interesting stuff. Unfortunately some things such as the Sabre gudie if for staff only!
Old Aug 15, 2008, 9:06 am

Programs: Lifetime Plat/4mm miles, Starwood, HiltonHonors
Smith's whiskey

The lite version is marveling at C. R. Smith's whiskey collection at the LGA AC. http://www.winespectator.com/Wine/Fr...739,59,00.html
Old Aug 15, 2008, 9:31 am
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by JDiver
I do not know if there is anything remotely resembling public transit to get there
Closest you can get is to take Remote South bus to Remote South lot and transfer to the bus to TRE CentrePort/DFW Airport Station. From there, you could take a long walk across the overpass to the museum.

Recommended only for the very motivated on a cool Fall or Spring Day.
Old Aug 15, 2008, 9:36 am

Programs: American Airlines British Airways
Quote from JDiver says:

I do not know if there is anything remotely resembling public transit to get there, and it is not near a car rental facility so you could Hertz rental shuttle or the like, but perhaps one of our more informed DFW (or Euless or Hurst?) folks knows better.

To which a native Texan responds:

Son, this is Texas. Public transit? We don't need any stinkin public transit. However, you could ride your horse there and back without much trouble. Except for crossing HWY 183 I suppose. I think you are stuck with a cab or sneaking on a shuttle, which I had not thought of.
Old Aug 15, 2008, 9:41 am
Suspended

For people who want to drive there, there is a car park opposite the museum (across the road).

From DFW, it takes around 10-15 mins (depend on the traffic)
Old Aug 15, 2008, 10:32 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
ROTFLMAO! I shoulda thought about that when the shuttle was sidelined by the herd of longhorns as we were approaching... the Texas Republic don't need no steenkeen' busses.

But I could live with dayone's solution if it's under 90 F and my boots ain't feelin' too tight; ¡gracias!, amigo.

Originally Posted by Paint Horse
Quote from JDiver says:

To which a native Texan responds:

Son, this is Texas. Public transit? We don't need any stinkin public transit. However, you could ride your horse there and back without much trouble. Except for crossing HWY 183 I suppose. I think you are stuck with a cab or sneaking on a shuttle, which I had not thought of.
Old Aug 15, 2008, 11:18 am

Programs: DL PM
Visited the museum today, and it was a good time. Spent about 45 minutes looking at the exhibits and going through the gift shop

I am not the best photographer, but took a few shots if anyone is interested:

http://picasaweb.google.com/flyskyte...AirlinesMuseum

Enjoy!

-FlySkyTeam
Old Aug 15, 2008, 11:36 am

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum & Million Miler. Hilton Diamond
If its $20 there and $20 back you may be able to priceline a rental car for less than the cab fare. This would be one of the most ridiculous rental car uses ever though (total trip, 2 miles maybe??).

I've had good luck with priceline rental cars to the point where it is often the case in my travels that its cheaper to rent a car than take a cab from the airport. Cabs have gotten ridiculous in many cities.

Sean
Old Aug 15, 2008, 11:53 am

Programs: DL PM
Not sure if this place is worth all of that, but it was nice. Now maybe if it was the Delta Museum....
Old Aug 15, 2008, 12:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
If AA is scrapped for cash, they should move this museum within the DFW airport compounds or at least in a location that can be accessible with the Skylink like the Grand Hyatt. It'd be a great way to earn extra revenue from bored passengers who have long layovers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.