Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

DFW and the AA / C. R. Smith Museum in Dallas (consolidated)

Old Aug 2, 2015, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
C. R. Smith Museum
American Airlines history, 1940 DC-3 "Flagship Knoxville" NC-21798

American Airlines C.R. Smith Museum
4601 Texas Highway 360
Fort Worth, Texas 76155
817-967-1560
Online store: http://store.crsmithmuseum.org/store/

Hours: The Museum is open Tuesday through Saturday from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. The Museum is closed on Sundays and Mondays. See site for exceptions (summer Sundays)

Guides: most are volunteers, retired AA employees.

Tickets: Museum Members: No Charge
Adult $7;
Senior Citizens 65+, Military, Students (with ID), Children 2-17: $4:, Infants: No Charge

The C.R. Smith Museum takes visitors on a flight through American Airlines history, with interactive exhibits that entice participation by all age groups. The museum features hundreds of historical artifacts, photographs, full-scale aircraft engines and a rare Douglas DC-3 airliner. In addition, the museums state of the art 4K digital theater features Pursuit of Flight, a film, featuring the history and physics of aviation from ancient times through today.(Some memorabilia from TW, US, HP as well.)

Flyable AA Douglas DC-3 NC-21798 "Flagship Knoxville" - c/n 2202, built NOV 1940

More photos: link to Airways Magazine photos of C. R. Smith Museum

Link to Brendan Healey's photos of museum

Getting there:

From DFW airport: taxi (three miles, $19.50 each way due to taxi minima)

ber.

Unofficial: look for crew bus area, take AA Training and Conference Center / Flight Academy shuttle bus (half-hourly) and get dropped off at Museum. N. B. Transport is space available only (employees on business have priority).

Originally Posted by JonNYC
These are directions for free van transport to the American Airlines Training and Conference Center, which I think is right on the same plot (and same side of the highway, I think.)

And generic driving instructions (but not to the Museum specifically-- to AATCC):
"From D/FW Airport:
Take the South exit out of DFW. Take the Highway 360 South Arlington exit, which bears to the right. Exit 1/4 mile onto the access road to FAA Road. Continue to the three-way stop sign. Go straight through intersection. "

Address of the Smith Museum:
4601 Texas Highway 360 at FAA Road
Fort Worth, Texas
Originally Posted by Aldoman
I'll be having a 6 hour stopover at DFW and I really want to go to the museum, but I'm a cheap student not willing to spend more than a couple of bucks to go there so I made some googling and what I could get was:

1.- You take the shuttle from your terminal to the South Remote Parking Lot. (I believe it's free, and every 15min)
2.- You take the shuttle from the South Remote Parking Lot to the "Centreport/DFW" TRE Station. (I believe it's free, and every 15 min)
3.- You take the "T 30 Centreport Circulator" which costs $1.50 o/w from the Centerport/DFW TRE Station to the AA Flight Academy. The catch: It's only Monday through Friday, 1 bus every 45 minutes and it just works during commuting time (6:00 to 8:00 and 15:00 to 18:00)...

Update: 2 Aug 2015 JDiver
Print Wikipost

DFW and the AA / C. R. Smith Museum in Dallas (consolidated)

Old Nov 21, 2007, 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by EasternTraveler
I am going to be in Fort Worth tomorrow and wondered if anyone might know how I can get my hands on some free passes for the museum for my children?
CLOSED
Thanksgiving
Thursday, November 22 - Saturday, November 24

MUSEUM HOURS
Tuesday - Saturday,
10 a.m.-6 p.m.

$4 entrance fee
Old Nov 21, 2007, 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by zman
CLOSED
Thanksgiving

MUSEUM HOURS
Tuesday - Saturday,
10 a.m.-6 p.m.

$4 entrance fee
Must be the only airline employees in the world that get three days off over Thanksgiving
Old Nov 21, 2007, 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by jrhone
Must be the only airline employees in the world that get three days off over Thanksgiving
I think most of the museum people are volunteers.
Old Nov 22, 2007, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by zman
CLOSED
Thanksgiving

MUSEUM HOURS
Tuesday - Saturday,
10 a.m.-6 p.m.

$4 entrance fee

That just shows how long it's been since I was there. The last time I went it was free.
Old Nov 22, 2007, 2:08 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by jrhone
I'm on vacation so I have three weeks off over Thanksgiving.
Old Nov 22, 2007, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by LarryJ
I'm on vacation so I have three weeks off over Thanksgiving.
Thats more than I get all year !
Old Nov 24, 2007, 10:42 am

Programs: Mediocre AA Stew
There is a winglet exhibit coming shortly. Just read about it in Ragship news. Looks pretty interesting.

I always take friends and family over to the CR Smith when they come to visit. They really enjoy it.

I imagine that most of the FT'ers would too given their high loyalty to AA.
Old Nov 24, 2007, 10:56 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by s80dude
I always take friends and family over to the CR Smith when they come to visit. They really enjoy it.

I imagine that most of the FT'ers would too given their high loyalty to AA.
Does anyone know of a decent (timely, cheap, convenient) way to get to the museum from DFW airport?
Old Nov 24, 2007, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SquareDanceGuy
Does anyone know of a decent (timely, cheap, convenient) way to get to the museum from DFW airport?
There's always the free Conference Center shuttle; right across the street from the museum.
Old Aug 14, 2008, 9:06 pm

Programs: DL PM
AA C R Smith Museum at DFW

I am leaving from DFW tomorrow and have some time. Does AA have a museum near the airport?

If so, is it worth going to?

(As a big DL guy, i am a bit scared posting here
Old Aug 14, 2008, 9:19 pm

Programs: AA 1.5 MM Exec Plat, WN A-List, DL Silver, UA nonrev
http://www.crsmithmuseum.org/home.htm

It's about 3 miles south of DFW. However, I've never gone to it so I can't comment on whether it's worth a trip or not (though, IMO, it looks like it is if you have the time)
Old Aug 14, 2008, 9:33 pm

Programs: American Airlines British Airways
miamigrad is correct. It is just past the south entrance to the airport. Should be an easy cab ride. However, I do not know about getting back to the airport. From the outside it looks interesting, but I have yet to go in.
Old Aug 14, 2008, 9:41 pm
us2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL
http://www.crsmithmuseum.org/home.htm

If you have the time, it's worth it, IMO. Last fall it was undergoing a big renovation, which is now completed. The main attraction is a restored AA DC-3, which you are completely free to poke around in, except for the cockpit. It's a very short hop from DFW.
Old Aug 14, 2008, 9:44 pm

C R Museum

I'm, actually, surprised JDiver isn't on this. He has all the information. And, quite knowledgeable re: the Museum.

Just for convenience sake. Depending on your time, I'd take a Cab over. Not far. I would think they would direct you to a shuttle back to the airport. As shuttles leave from the FU/Academy very frequently.

You were given a good link, possibly someone can direct you to better transportation options.

Hope you enjoy!
Old Aug 14, 2008, 10:08 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Definitely worth the time, IMHO.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.