Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

DFW and the AA / C. R. Smith Museum in Dallas (consolidated)

Old Aug 2, 2015, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
C. R. Smith Museum
American Airlines history, 1940 DC-3 "Flagship Knoxville" NC-21798

American Airlines C.R. Smith Museum
4601 Texas Highway 360
Fort Worth, Texas 76155
817-967-1560
Online store: http://store.crsmithmuseum.org/store/

Hours: The Museum is open Tuesday through Saturday from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. The Museum is closed on Sundays and Mondays. See site for exceptions (summer Sundays)

Guides: most are volunteers, retired AA employees.

Tickets: Museum Members: No Charge
Adult – $7;
Senior Citizens 65+, Military, Students (with ID), Children 2-17: $4:, Infants: No Charge

The C.R. Smith Museum takes visitors on a flight through American Airlines history, with interactive exhibits that entice participation by all age groups. The museum features hundreds of historical artifacts, photographs, full-scale aircraft engines and a rare Douglas DC-3 airliner. In addition, the museum’s state of the art 4K digital theater features Pursuit of Flight, a film, featuring the history and physics of aviation from ancient times through today.(Some memorabilia from TW, US, HP as well.)

Flyable AA Douglas DC-3 NC-21798 "Flagship Knoxville" - c/n 2202, built NOV 1940

More photos: link to Airways Magazine photos of C. R. Smith Museum

Link to Brendan Healey's photos of museum

Getting there:

From DFW airport: taxi (three miles, $19.50 each way due to taxi minima)

Über.

Unofficial: look for crew bus area, take AA Training and Conference Center / Flight Academy shuttle bus (half-hourly) and get dropped off at Museum. N. B. Transport is space available only (employees on business have priority).

Originally Posted by JonNYC
These are directions for free van transport to the American Airlines Training and Conference Center, which I think is right on the same plot (and same side of the highway, I think.)

And generic driving instructions (but not to the Museum specifically-- to AATCC):
"From D/FW Airport:
Take the South exit out of DFW. Take the Highway 360 South Arlington exit, which bears to the right. Exit 1/4 mile onto the access road to FAA Road. Continue to the three-way stop sign. Go straight through intersection. "

Address of the Smith Museum:
4601 Texas Highway 360 at FAA Road
Fort Worth, Texas
Originally Posted by Aldoman
I'll be having a 6 hour stopover at DFW and I really want to go to the museum, but I'm a cheap student not willing to spend more than a couple of bucks to go there so I made some googling and what I could get was:

1.- You take the shuttle from your terminal to the South Remote Parking Lot. (I believe it's free, and every 15min)
2.- You take the shuttle from the South Remote Parking Lot to the "Centreport/DFW" TRE Station. (I believe it's free, and every 15 min)
3.- You take the "T 30 Centreport Circulator" which costs $1.50 o/w from the Centerport/DFW TRE Station to the AA Flight Academy. The catch: It's only Monday through Friday, 1 bus every 45 minutes and it just works during commuting time (6:00 to 8:00 and 15:00 to 18:00)...

Update: 2 Aug 2015 JDiver
Print Wikipost

DFW and the AA / C. R. Smith Museum in Dallas (consolidated)

Old Jul 11, 2007, 8:46 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
Originally Posted by rtwdone4
So the 10 million dollar question, where should I stay?
I stayed at the Grand Hyatt DFW for one night last summer. The room was quiet, well-appointed and clean. It was definitely worth the money they charged.

We (myself, my girfriend, and a guest) all had dinner in the hotel restaurant and it was pretty good for something within throwing distance of airplanes.
Old Jul 11, 2007, 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by terrysalmi
Be careful in downtown Dallas. I was with a friend the day after the Cotton Bowl this year in early January on a weekday morning walking around downtown Dallas. We stopped at the JFK Memorial (less than a block from the park/museum's/etc) and were snapping some pictures of the memorial when a Dallas police cruiser pulled up next to us, asked us what we were doing, and told us that office security cameras in the high-rises saw us with cameras and had 911 calls placed on us (showing us the different calls on the car's computer). We were informed that picture taking was not allowed in downtown Dallas.

Me and my friend are both active duty military and were clearly dressed as tourists in sports team clothing with cameras around our necks, at a public memorial.
Your names not Abraham Zapruder is it?
Old Jul 11, 2007, 9:35 pm

Programs: Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by AA Novice
Your names not Abraham Zapruder is it?
Sorry, nope
Old Jul 11, 2007, 11:27 pm

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by terrysalmi
... a Dallas police cruiser pulled up next to us, asked us what we were doing, and told us that office security cameras in the high-rises saw us with cameras and had 911 calls placed on us (showing us the different calls on the car's computer). We were informed that picture taking was not allowed in downtown Dallas.
There's just gotta be something else to this story. I've taken pictures in downtown Dallas lots of times, and just might do it again on Saturday for the pure heck of it.
Old Jul 12, 2007, 7:23 am

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, OW Sapphire, QF Bronze, Marriott Silver, Starwood Gold; National Emerald
Any further intel if the bus to the DFW museum is available to non-crew/employees?

Thanks,

Steve
Old Jul 12, 2007, 6:34 pm

Programs: Ex-BA Silver; Ex-UA Premier
When I asked in a prior post, the only response was, "call the DFW Admirals club or the museum and ask?"

Typical AA forum answer nowadays!

Last edited by kappa; Jul 13, 2007 at 11:35 am
Old Jul 12, 2007, 7:24 pm

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by kappa
When I asked in a prior post, the only response was, "call the DFW Admirals club or the museum and ask?"
That seems like a reasonable answer. -I- would be glad to call the AC or the museum on behalf of someone, however, I'm not the one who wants to go to the museum!

Yet in the spirit of helpfulness, I just phoned my buddy in the DFW-AC. He said they used to have a shuttle to the AA Training Center, but "They took it away from us". He doesn't know of any way to get to the museum nowadays except taxi or rent-car.

(IME a one-day car rental at DFW is cheaper than two taxi fares.)

He did say there might be one other option. He'll check into it and call me back tomorrow.

(If that one other option is the employee bus, there's no way in the world I'm going there!)
Old Jul 12, 2007, 7:57 pm

Last time I was down there, there were two different buses. One runs from DFW to the Flagship University, the other runs to the pilot training center.

The FSU and the Museum are in two seperate adjoining areas with a road seperating them .The FSU bus runs right to the reception area of the FSU , the pilot bus (usually a small van ) runs to the Pilot training center which is attached to the CR Smith Museum. To get to the CR Smith museum from the FSU would be a little walk as you wouldnt be able to get through the FSU so you would have to walk back down to the main gates and walk around to the museum.

The pilot van goes straight past the front door of the Museum , but goes through security first, so you wouldnt be able to get on that bus.

Short answer, no non employees on the employee bus . Sorry.
Old Jul 12, 2007, 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by SquareDanceGuy
That seems like a reasonable answer. -I- would be glad to call the AC or the museum on behalf of someone, however, I'm not the one who wants to go to the museum!

Yet in the spirit of helpfulness, I just phoned my buddy in the DFW-AC. He said they used to have a shuttle to the AA Training Center, but "They took it away from us". He doesn't know of any way to get to the museum nowadays except taxi or rent-car.

(IME a one-day car rental at DFW is cheaper than two taxi fares.)

He did say there might be one other option. He'll check into it and call me back tomorrow.

(If that one other option is the employee bus, there's no way in the world I'm going there!)

I have never had to take a taxi anywhere from DFW but I can't imagine it being that much for, what, a four mile trip?
Old Jul 12, 2007, 8:24 pm

Programs: AA Plat (2MM), Hertz 5 star
Originally Posted by AA Novice
I have never had to take a taxi anywhere from DFW but I can't imagine it being that much for, what, a four mile trip?
$17 minimum charge

http://www.dfwairport.com/transport/taxis.html

google is your friend
Old Jul 12, 2007, 9:24 pm

Days Inn - Euless has free transportation to/from the hotel, and free courtesy transportation within 5 miles of the hotel. The museum is only half a mile from the hotel.

So there's your ticket. There's only one drawback: you hafta stay at a Days Inn.
Old Jul 13, 2007, 7:36 am

Programs: AA Plat (2MM), Hertz 5 star
Originally Posted by SquareDanceGuy
Days Inn - Euless has free transportation to/from the hotel, and free courtesy transportation within 5 miles of the hotel. The museum is only half a mile from the hotel.

So there's your ticket. There's only one drawback: you hafta stay at a Days Inn.
Based on the responses to some of the "upgrade strategy" posts, perhaps the OP would be better off getting a towncar and driver, and staying at the W or Za Za
Old Jul 16, 2007, 1:25 pm
Suspended

The W hotel looks nice.

I really dont' fancy driving in the US especially you guys drive on the wrong side fo the road: Also parking can be a potential problem?

or I am thinking staying near the hotel and then order a taxi (that way I can avoid the 16USD min charge?)
Old Nov 21, 2007, 7:26 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA ExPlt, Diamond HH, HY, BW, & Titanium Elite Marriott
Info on American Airlines Museum.

I am going to be in Fort Worth tomorrow and wondered if anyone might know how I can get my hands on some free passes for the museum for my children?
Old Nov 21, 2007, 7:44 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
CLOSED
Thanksgiving
Thursday, November 22 - Saturday, November 24
http://www.crsmithmuseum.org/directi...nsframeset.htm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.