Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

DFW and the AA / C. R. Smith Museum in Dallas (consolidated)

Old Aug 2, 2015, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
C. R. Smith Museum
American Airlines history, 1940 DC-3 "Flagship Knoxville" NC-21798

American Airlines C.R. Smith Museum
4601 Texas Highway 360
Fort Worth, Texas 76155
817-967-1560
Online store: http://store.crsmithmuseum.org/store/

Hours: The Museum is open Tuesday through Saturday from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. The Museum is closed on Sundays and Mondays. See site for exceptions (summer Sundays)

Guides: most are volunteers, retired AA employees.

Tickets: Museum Members: No Charge
Adult $7;
Senior Citizens 65+, Military, Students (with ID), Children 2-17: $4:, Infants: No Charge

The C.R. Smith Museum takes visitors on a flight through American Airlines history, with interactive exhibits that entice participation by all age groups. The museum features hundreds of historical artifacts, photographs, full-scale aircraft engines and a rare Douglas DC-3 airliner. In addition, the museums state of the art 4K digital theater features Pursuit of Flight, a film, featuring the history and physics of aviation from ancient times through today.(Some memorabilia from TW, US, HP as well.)

Flyable AA Douglas DC-3 NC-21798 "Flagship Knoxville" - c/n 2202, built NOV 1940

More photos: link to Airways Magazine photos of C. R. Smith Museum

Link to Brendan Healey's photos of museum

Getting there:

From DFW airport: taxi (three miles, $19.50 each way due to taxi minima)

ber.

Unofficial: look for crew bus area, take AA Training and Conference Center / Flight Academy shuttle bus (half-hourly) and get dropped off at Museum. N. B. Transport is space available only (employees on business have priority).

Originally Posted by JonNYC
These are directions for free van transport to the American Airlines Training and Conference Center, which I think is right on the same plot (and same side of the highway, I think.)

And generic driving instructions (but not to the Museum specifically-- to AATCC):
"From D/FW Airport:
Take the South exit out of DFW. Take the Highway 360 South Arlington exit, which bears to the right. Exit 1/4 mile onto the access road to FAA Road. Continue to the three-way stop sign. Go straight through intersection. "

Address of the Smith Museum:
4601 Texas Highway 360 at FAA Road
Fort Worth, Texas
Originally Posted by Aldoman
I'll be having a 6 hour stopover at DFW and I really want to go to the museum, but I'm a cheap student not willing to spend more than a couple of bucks to go there so I made some googling and what I could get was:

1.- You take the shuttle from your terminal to the South Remote Parking Lot. (I believe it's free, and every 15min)
2.- You take the shuttle from the South Remote Parking Lot to the "Centreport/DFW" TRE Station. (I believe it's free, and every 15 min)
3.- You take the "T 30 Centreport Circulator" which costs $1.50 o/w from the Centerport/DFW TRE Station to the AA Flight Academy. The catch: It's only Monday through Friday, 1 bus every 45 minutes and it just works during commuting time (6:00 to 8:00 and 15:00 to 18:00)...

Update: 2 Aug 2015 JDiver
Print Wikipost

DFW and the AA / C. R. Smith Museum in Dallas (consolidated)

Old Sep 5, 2001, 6:39 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by PAUL PALMER:
... (the smell insied took me right back to my first flight)...</font>
When I visited, the smell inside almost took me to the bathroom! That thing bakes out in 100 degree weather, and sometimes it takes a few tries before you can stand inside it for short periods of time. None the less, great place to visit!

------------------
preez mine da pratform gahp.
Old Sep 5, 2001, 4:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP/4MM, QF PLT, Marriott PLT
You really need to go back, ChuckDEE! It's been inside and much more comfortable for a couple of years now.

------------------
Party in the Metroplex -- September 21-23, 2001
Old Sep 5, 2001, 8:24 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
[/B][/QUOTE]
Your best bet would be to seek out the AA shuttle going to the Conference & Training Center. It leaves from the upper level of the AA terminals and drops you off adjacent to the museum.

[/B][/QUOTE]
Does this shuttle run on a scheduled basis and can anyone ride on it?

Old Sep 5, 2001, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
I had a 6-hour connection at DFW 3 or 4 years ago, so rented a car and headed to this museum, then completed the afternoon downat Arlington to tour the ballpark. The museum is a great place for nostalgia buffs. Do go. Unfortunately, you don't get AAdvantage points for your visit unless you use you CitiBank affinity card.
Old Sep 5, 2001, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by bollar:
Your best bet would be to seek out the AA shuttle going to the Conference & Training Center. It leaves from the upper level of the AA terminals and drops you off adjacent to the museum.</font>
Great idea -- will visit next time around!! Anyone knows the shuttle's schedule/frequency (or even better, an always up-to-date website with that info)? The museum's web site doesn't even mention this excellent option (maybe AA does not want to donate transportation to its visitors?)
Old Nov 29, 2001, 5:00 pm

ChuckDee wrote:
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">they have a wall with plaques of customers that have travelled 1 million miles or more</font>
Anyone know whether this means exactly what chuck says ("customers that have **TRAVELLED** 1 million miles") or the (more generous!) 1 million program miles to date? When I make 1MM, I'd consider dropping by the museum to see my name on the wall... but I surely don't want to go and find myself disappointed! (Not that the other aspects of the museum aren't worth it on their own, of course...)
Old Nov 30, 2001, 12:13 am
askworldtraveler

AA Museum in Dallas- the 1 million mile wall - I've heard several versions....

first is the wall for 1 million milers really there? My guess is yes given all the comments.

Is it 1 million flown miles - or 1 million miles from any source

do they keep it up to date....?

Is there recognition for other million mile milestones....

and finally

Why don't they mention this when a person gets there life time gold card - what a wonderful way to say thank you!

Thanks for the help everyone.

------------------
Askworldtraveler, EXP,4 million AA miles+++Hilton Gold (thanks to EXP)

Old Nov 30, 2001, 1:50 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
i must go to see it. also must see the cavanaugh{?} museum @ addison a/p. i guess the problem is no mi's for the trip!.....edit to add.... i will go and report back.

[This message has been edited by clacko (edited 11-30-2001).]
Old Nov 30, 2001, 5:51 am

Programs: AA EXP/4MM, QF PLT, Marriott PLT
There is none that I can find. The wall is of donors to the museum. Big donors.

[This message has been edited by bollar (edited 11-30-2001).]
Old Jan 24, 2002, 2:39 pm

New TWA Exhibit at AA CR Smith Museum

---HISTORIC TWA PHOTO SHOW OPENS AT MUSEUM---
An exhibition of outstanding photos from the TWA archives just opened at the C.R. Smith Museum. Thirty historic photos of TWA people and TWA aircraft through the years are now on display. Some of the prints will be sold after the show concludes at the end of March, with proceeds going to help support future TWA exhibits. Admission is free. The musuem hours are Tuesday through Saturday 10 a.m. to 6 p.m and Sunday noon to 5 p.m., which allows for an ideal day (or weekend) trip for those not in the area to visit the exhibit. The museum is located at 4601 Texas Highway 360 at FAA Road, Fort Worth, Texas. For additional information on the museum, the 2002 lecture series, or to shop online at the Museum Shop, visit www.crsmithmuseum.org.
Old Jan 24, 2002, 3:16 pm

Thanks, after moving here, i have never actually been to the Museum. Maybe wife and I will take a field trip during the week end
Old Jan 24, 2002, 5:32 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Island:
---HISTORIC TWA PHOTO SHOW OPENS AT MUSEUM---
An exhibition of outstanding photos from the TWA archives just opened at the C.R. Smith Museum. Thirty historic photos of TWA people and TWA aircraft through the years are now on display. Some of the prints will be sold after the show concludes at the end of March, with proceeds going to help support future TWA exhibits. Admission is free. The musuem hours are Tuesday through Saturday 10 a.m. to 6 p.m and Sunday noon to 5 p.m., which allows for an ideal day (or weekend) trip for those not in the area to visit the exhibit. The museum is located at 4601 Texas Highway 360 at FAA Road, Fort Worth, Texas. For additional information on the museum, the 2002 lecture series, or to shop online at the Museum Shop, visit www.crsmithmuseum.org.
</font>
Thanks for the info Island. I visited the museum in 1993. I have a brick in my name there
Old Aug 10, 2004, 1:55 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP 100K, Amtrak peon, Colbert Lifetime Platinum
Question CR Smith Museum Store

How come AA hasn't bothered to make the store's inventory for sale online? Wouldn't they rather get the revenues from company logo goods instead of giving it up to eBay sellers, pin stores, etc.?
Old Aug 10, 2004, 2:00 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold, Marriott LT Titanium
They used to be available online, as I bought numerous things from the CR Smith store. However, they have stopped selling online for some reason. I don't know why.
Old Feb 12, 2005, 7:44 am
formerly known as Frugal Travel Guy

Programs: UA Gold, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Platinum
DFW C R Smith Museum Questions HELP

The search function is down and I'm trying to buy the ticket today if possible. On a 4 hour layover Sunday afternoons can I get to the museum, see it and get back? How do you get there? cab, shuttle? How long does it take to browse the museum and it was it worth it to you? I'd appreciate your comments. Thanks Ingy

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.