Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

DFW and the AA / C. R. Smith Museum in Dallas (consolidated)

Old Aug 2, 2015, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
C. R. Smith Museum
American Airlines history, 1940 DC-3 "Flagship Knoxville" NC-21798

American Airlines C.R. Smith Museum
4601 Texas Highway 360
Fort Worth, Texas 76155
817-967-1560
Online store: http://store.crsmithmuseum.org/store/

Hours: The Museum is open Tuesday through Saturday from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. The Museum is closed on Sundays and Mondays. See site for exceptions (summer Sundays)

Guides: most are volunteers, retired AA employees.

Tickets: Museum Members: No Charge
Adult – $7;
Senior Citizens 65+, Military, Students (with ID), Children 2-17: $4:, Infants: No Charge

The C.R. Smith Museum takes visitors on a flight through American Airlines history, with interactive exhibits that entice participation by all age groups. The museum features hundreds of historical artifacts, photographs, full-scale aircraft engines and a rare Douglas DC-3 airliner. In addition, the museum’s state of the art 4K digital theater features Pursuit of Flight, a film, featuring the history and physics of aviation from ancient times through today.(Some memorabilia from TW, US, HP as well.)

Flyable AA Douglas DC-3 NC-21798 "Flagship Knoxville" - c/n 2202, built NOV 1940

More photos: link to Airways Magazine photos of C. R. Smith Museum

Link to Brendan Healey's photos of museum

Getting there:

From DFW airport: taxi (three miles, $19.50 each way due to taxi minima)

Über.

Unofficial: look for crew bus area, take AA Training and Conference Center / Flight Academy shuttle bus (half-hourly) and get dropped off at Museum. N. B. Transport is space available only (employees on business have priority).

Originally Posted by JonNYC
These are directions for free van transport to the American Airlines Training and Conference Center, which I think is right on the same plot (and same side of the highway, I think.)

And generic driving instructions (but not to the Museum specifically-- to AATCC):
"From D/FW Airport:
Take the South exit out of DFW. Take the Highway 360 South Arlington exit, which bears to the right. Exit 1/4 mile onto the access road to FAA Road. Continue to the three-way stop sign. Go straight through intersection. "

Address of the Smith Museum:
4601 Texas Highway 360 at FAA Road
Fort Worth, Texas
Originally Posted by Aldoman
I'll be having a 6 hour stopover at DFW and I really want to go to the museum, but I'm a cheap student not willing to spend more than a couple of bucks to go there so I made some googling and what I could get was:

1.- You take the shuttle from your terminal to the South Remote Parking Lot. (I believe it's free, and every 15min)
2.- You take the shuttle from the South Remote Parking Lot to the "Centreport/DFW" TRE Station. (I believe it's free, and every 15 min)
3.- You take the "T 30 Centreport Circulator" which costs $1.50 o/w from the Centerport/DFW TRE Station to the AA Flight Academy. The catch: It's only Monday through Friday, 1 bus every 45 minutes and it just works during commuting time (6:00 to 8:00 and 15:00 to 18:00)...

Update: 2 Aug 2015 JDiver
Print Wikipost

DFW and the AA / C. R. Smith Museum in Dallas (consolidated)

Old Jul 29, 2009, 4:45 am

Programs: AA EXP, AAirpass, & CK 2MM, MR Plat Premier, DL Plat, US Plat, UA RECOVERING GS
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.1; U; en-us) AppleWebKit/413 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/413 es61i)

Originally Posted by JDiver
The Museum staff and volunteers are really friendly, hospitable and helpful people; You should not have any trouble. I think asking them to keep it in the cargo compartment of the DC-3 might be a bit over the top, though.

DO check the facilities - lav, galley, seats, etc. and think how it was in the day - my first revenue flights were MEX-MTY-SAT on an AA DC-3 and it took the better part of a day at low, bumpy flight levels.
Hey mister! Some of us lucky enough to check out on the DC-3 think the personality of the aircrafy negate those issues making it the best and sexiest airliner ever. If you want to read about someone literally picking the DC-3 over mating, google Martha Lunken, a former FAA DE (or read her flyingmag.com column).
Old Jul 29, 2009, 8:06 am

Programs: Lifetime Plat/4mm miles, Starwood, HiltonHonors
CR Smith @ LGA

...And for those not able to get over to CR Smith's museum at DFW, there's always his pre-Prohibition whiskey collection, on display in the AC at LGA, to marvel at. And they'll happily store your luggage.
http://www.winespectator.com/Wine/Fr...739,59,00.html
Old Mar 9, 2010, 3:20 pm

Programs: AA-GLD; DL-SLVR
Shuttle to C.R. Smith Museum?

Originally Posted by JDiver
As Ive said before, the employee shuttle is faster, more direct and also free (as you exit a terminal they usually stop at one extreme or the other - ask.) But if it is close to full (never seen that,) it's definitely time to take an alternative mode of transport. Back is easier - go to the Academy and catch it there (ask the gate guard - they're usually helpful,) and one time a museum volunteer drive me back.)

But be prepared in case you are going to be close on departure time.
Does anyone know if the "employee shuttle" is still an option for getting to the museum from DFW? I am arriving DFW on 3/16 at around 3pm, most likely Terminal D, and would like to visit the museum during a 4 hour layover. Also, is the "employee shuttle" referenced the same thing as the shuttle that goes to the AA Training & Conference Center?
Old Mar 9, 2010, 4:46 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
The shuttle is not an official thing we can use, and would depend on occupancy - crew will always get preference. And yes, the training center is next door to the museum. The shuttles stop at specified areas - ask and people will not usually give you a second glance, because a number of people must sue them - interviewees, trainees, employees, conferees... museum gawkees?

Originally Posted by wbhurley
Does anyone know if the "employee shuttle" is still an option for getting to the museum from DFW? I am arriving DFW on 3/16 at around 3pm, most likely Terminal D, and would like to visit the museum during a 4 hour layover. Also, is the "employee shuttle" referenced the same thing as the shuttle that goes to the AA Training & Conference Center?
Old Mar 9, 2010, 5:34 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
I went to CR Smith about 6 months ago. I rode the shuttle over, just getting on with the rest of the crew. On the way back, the driver refused to take me since I wasn't AA crew.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 10:42 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Just finished curating this thread for "Combined" forum use. (Yes, old thread, but there's no reason for a new one with the impressions, advice and links here now that theres a wiki as well.) /Moderator

I've heard the occasional shuttle driver can turn passengers down, but have never experienced it myself. I've always been courteous, always understood those on AA business and employees have priority.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 1:44 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
I just booked my flights to DFW for next month, and the CR Smith museum is on my to-do list. In the event that the shuttle refuses to take me there, are there any alternative transportation options? Does Über charge any sort of fees to/from the airport, or any sort of flat charges? If not, then I'd rather grab and Über and not chance it with the shuttle.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 5:27 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
I don't see any mention of evil taxicab minimums departing DFW via Uber. YMMV.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 6:20 am

Programs: AA EXP
I visited the museum in June, but had my own rental car as I had business in Dallas. It is a bit of a drive to the terminals, so I imagine you could get a cab (it's not so close they wouldn't want to do it)...not sure about other bus options.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 4:07 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
I checked Uber and Lyft and found my answer! I'll share it here in case someone else has the same question (this thread is pretty high up on the Google search for the CR Smith Museum)

Uber and Lyft no longer charge any sort of extra fees to/from DFW. At the time of writing, Uber's app quoted me $10-15 to get from the terminals to the museum. Lyft quoted me $9-10 for the same on their website.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.