Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Airbus A321 Transcon / A321T / "32B" 3 class (master thread)

Old Feb 8, 2015, 6:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AA Transcontinental Three Class Service Airbus A321 "A321T"

NOTE: The "32B" designation is used by ICAO for A321 (-100 and -200) family with "Sharklet" wingtips; the use of "32B" by AA has been applied to "321T", the three class aircraft described here and used on transcon service, and for the "A321", the two class A321S used in "normal" service as well as the A321H ETOPS version used on West Coast-Hawai'i service. ("321" is used by AA to describe non-Sharklets equipped LUS A321s.)

A subset of A321-200 aircraft has a three class configuration (with First and Business with horizontal full flat seats, as well as Main Cabin Extra and Main Cabin) for use on transcontinental JFK-LAX and JFK-SFO flights. First delivery was N101NN, Fleet No. 783, 21 Nov 2013. Inaugural flights were AA118 Lv LAX 0700 Ar JFK 1530 Tue 7 Jan 2014 and AA133 Lv JFK 1545 Ar LAX 1925. SFO-LAX began 6 Mar 2014.

These aircraft, referred to as "A321T" or "321T", have 10F in 1 + 1 layout, 20J in 2 + 2, and 72Y in 3 + 3 configuration (MCE rows 11-16); coded "321T" (32B in timetables). F has Zodiac Skylounge solo suite seats with shells similar to the 77W Business suites, J have B/E Aerospace Diamond Parallel horizontal lie flat seats; MCE and Main Cabin Recaro slimline seats. Pets have two small cabins flanking the aisle forward in F, called "Cuddle Class".

In Flight Entertainment is Audio-Video on Demand (AVOD), provided by Thales in its TopSeries system, with 15.4" touch screens offering "200 movies, 180 TV programs, more than 350 audio selections, up to 20 games, and 3-D moving maps" free in F and J, and $4.00 for most movies and TV in Y on an 8.9" touch screen. These are also controlled by universal remote controls. Bose QuietComfort headsets are provided in F and J; these are recovered by crew about an hour from your destination. (Unfortunately, the IFE system has turned out to be extremely unreliable; currently, do not expect to experience seamless AVOD on these aircraft. Some have reported successfully resetting by holding down "O" button over ten seconds on remote and the same procedure for the screen power on button.)

WiFi is provided by GoGo ATG-4 (cellular) service, and is not very fast.

At seat power includes USB 5 VDC and universal 110 VAC outlets. The outlets are awkwardly placed by your head in J, in the seatback in front of you in coach.

Also note: Airbus A320 family - 156 inches (395 cm) outside width
Boeing 737 /757 - 148 inches (380 cm) outside diameter.

Which transcontinental AA flights are operated by A321-200 "A321T" three class aircraft?
All transcontinental non-stop flights scheduled JFK <-> LAX
JFK<-> SFOare operated by three class Airbus A321-200 "32B" (A321-200 with "Sharklets" wingtip devices.

No other regularly scheduled transcontinental non-stop flights (e.g. MIA-LAX, PHL-LAX or -SFO, etc.) use the three class A321-200 "A321T" - even if a "32B" might be used in the future, it will merely be a two class LAA A321-200 aircraft (with Sharklets).

For further discussion on seats, service, etc. on three class A321T aircraft, please see:

Best Business / First seat on LAA transcon Airbus A321 / A321T / "32B" (consolidated)

Best Economy / MCE seat on LAA transcon Airbus A321 / A321T / "32B" (consolidated)

For older posts, see the Archive thread here.
Print Wikipost

Airbus A321 Transcon / A321T / "32B" 3 class (master thread)

Old Dec 9, 2017, 1:19 pm

Programs: AA Ex Plat United Premier Silver Hilton Diamond Marriott Gold
Looking at booking J on the 8:45PM LAX-JFK...can someone give me a sample menu? IDK if its still the LAX catering issue or what but website isn't showing meal options for basically any of these flights (I checked in Dec and early Jan)
Old Dec 9, 2017, 11:41 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by USAIRCHAIRMAN
Looking at booking J on the 8:45PM LAX-JFK...can someone give me a sample menu? IDK if its still the LAX catering issue or what but website isn't showing meal options for basically any of these flights (I checked in Dec and early Jan)
I think the Beef Quesadilla makes a frequent appearance for the evening show, but with the current "Listeria Hysteria" that has consumed LAX catering, who knows what will come crawling out of the galley once you reach cruising altitude.

Any way you can come to the airport early and walk over to the Oneworld lounge at the Tom Bradley International Terminal? You can enjoy a decent meal there, then board the transcontinental, have a drink, and sleep.

If your trip is in late December or anytime in January, the Flagship Lounge in T4 should be open by that time.
flyingeph12 likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 12:14 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by jcatman
I think the Beef Quesadilla makes a frequent appearance for the evening show, but with the current "Listeria Hysteria" that has consumed LAX catering, who knows what will come crawling out of the galley once you reach cruising altitude.

Any way you can come to the airport early and walk over to the Oneworld lounge at the Tom Bradley International Terminal? You can enjoy a decent meal there, then board the transcontinental, have a drink, and sleep.

If your trip is in late December or anytime in January, the Flagship Lounge in T4 should be open by that time.
LOL...

Agree. Eat in the lounge.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 8:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Any idea if the A321T 3-class flights being offered on LAX-BOS in December will come with Flagship Lounge (when opened) access for F/J (similar to LAX-JFK)?

-FlyerBeek
Old Dec 11, 2017, 12:03 am

Programs: Alaska Gold 75K, AA EXP, United 1K
Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
Any idea if the A321T 3-class flights being offered on LAX-BOS in December will come with Flagship Lounge (when opened) access for F/J (similar to LAX-JFK)?

-FlyerBeek
doubt it officially comes with, but wouldn't be surprised if they let you in with some friendly asking/explaining.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 4:39 pm

Programs: AS Gold 75K and Delta PM, former AA EXP
Originally Posted by FlyerBeek

-FlyerBeek
Per AA Twitter team no. The only differentiation will be that F gets 3 entree choices, whereas J will only get two. Both cabins will have duvet's and pillows, but lounge access rules will remain unchanged.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 6:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by KBOS777
Per AA Twitter team no. The only differentiation will be that F gets 3 entree choices, whereas J will only get two. Both cabins will have duvet's and pillows, but lounge access rules will remain unchanged.
Thanks for checking with the Twitter team and reporting back. Was going to use miles or BXP1 to upgrade to F in FL access was included, but that makes the decision easier!

-FlyerBeek
Old Dec 13, 2017, 9:19 am

Programs: Lifetime Plat/4mm miles, Starwood, HiltonHonors
Domestic J entitles a pax to Flagship Lounge access?
Old Dec 13, 2017, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by Danwriter
Only on the magical JFK-LAX/SFO routes.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Danwriter
Under the new Flagship Lounge access rules it does, for JFK-LAX & JFK-SFO.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 10:01 am

Programs: AA: ExPlat & 3MM; UA: 1k; KL: Plat 4 Life; Hyatt: Plat; SPG, Marriott, Hilton: Gold
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Under the new Flagship Lounge access rules it does, for JFK-LAX & JFK-SFO.
I thought only for EXP pax and not all but sounds like for all no wonder gets so busy. Also get access to FL dining with F on those routes. Was quite impressed with menu and quality
Old Dec 13, 2017, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by anandrag

I thought only for EXP pax and not all but sounds like for all no wonder gets so busy. Also get access to FL dining with F on those routes. Was quite impressed with menu and quality
Yeas, that is basically the plan here - rolling up the pax with class-of-service and status-related lounge access to the FL, with the AC becoming just a membership club.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 12:47 pm
formerly RZachSmith

Originally Posted by arlflyer
Yeas, that is basically the plan here - rolling up the pax with class-of-service and status-related lounge access to the FL, with the AC becoming just a membership club.
As I recall, this is pretty similar to what Qantas has had for the lounges in Australia for a long time. My one experience in them would say their quality is a bit higher, but I think the concept works pretty well.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 1:55 am

Programs: Alaska Gold 75K, AA EXP, United 1K
Great! Just show BP I assume?
Small tip, a few months ago the iOS mobile boarding passes started to expire which makes it hard to use on arrival. Either take a screenshot or get a paper boarding pass to make lounge access on arrival easier.
smitty06 likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 11:48 am

Programs: AA EXP/1mm, Marriott Titanium/LT Gold, UA Silver

Are you pretty sure that this is the case in regards to FL Dining? Debating upgrading a LAX-JFK redeye from J to F - I have a decent length layover at JFK. If I could use FL Dining upon landing at JFK that would seal the deal for me!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.