Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

2013-15 77W / 777-300ER First award seat disruptions and downgrades (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2013-15 77W / 777-300ER First award seat disruptions and downgrades (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2013, 11:36 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Yes, this.

If the OP has TICKET NUMBERS and they are confirmed (not merely seeing "purchased" or even "ticketed", but actually seeing the receipt with 001- ticket number) it's not such a panic IMO.

Originally Posted by NDFan
Hang on folks - I don't think OP has ever said his reservation has been cancelled. Only that he's lost his seat assignments. That sometimes happens, though it's unusual in international F, and it's annoying, but it doesn't mean the reservation has been cancelled and/or he won't get to fly.
OP doesn't seem to be hugely experienced with AA and may be panicking unduly. He may find that seats will be assigned when he tries to check-in at T-24, or ultimately at the airport.
Hope things go smoothly and he has a great trip.

Happy Travels.

Last edited by JDiver; Jun 24, 2013 at 12:11 pm Reason: edit / add
Old Jun 24, 2013, 12:01 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
I am assuming that when the OP goes to aa.com to view the reservation, all the flight details are still there, OP sitll in F, and on the right hand side it says "STATUS:TICKETED". The only problem is that next to "SEAT" it says "UNASSIGNED", instead of what OP selected at booking.

If that's the case, I think the title of this thread should be changed to something like , AA UNASSIGNED seats 2 days before flight.
IF this was clear from the beginning, this thread would have been not longer than one page.

My answer would have been: OP, these things sometimes happen. You still have a valid ticket. The airport can resolve this in many ways. Rebooking on another flight in F, asking for volunteers to give up their seats...and the most likely one, IMO, magically, two seats will free up when you go to check-in at the airport. Annoying, yes.

Last edited by carlosdca; Jun 24, 2013 at 12:23 pm
Old Jun 24, 2013, 12:11 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
At the risk of speculating (which I am), I made up my mind when I read the "seat is broken" with no explanation for his wife's seat. That tells me that it is a FAM problem.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 12:21 pm

We could guess more accurately about that if we knew what seats had originally be assigned. But the airline is strictly prohibited from stating a FAM seat assignment would be the reason.

("Broken seat" days out? Hmmmm. LAAme, if you ask me. )

Originally Posted by sbrower
At the risk of speculating (which I am), I made up my mind when I read the "seat is broken" with no explanation for his wife's seat. That tells me that it is a FAM problem.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 12:28 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
The fact that this happened to a reservation with 2 pax/seats and both seats are not assigned makes me wonder if it is a FAM problem. First, I don't think they travel in pairs and, if they did, would they sit next to each other. Given 773 F Suites, no way is this a "jumbo" FAM issue (if some such FAM even existed). If it was for the FAM, wouldn't they have unassigned a single F pax?
Old Jun 24, 2013, 12:33 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by JMN57
The fact that this happened to a reservation with 2 pax/seats and both seats are not assigned makes me wonder if it is a FAM problem. First, I don't think they travel in pairs and, if they did, would they sit next to each other. Given 773 F Suites, no way is this a "jumbo" FAM issue (if some such FAM even existed). If it was for the FAM, wouldn't they have unassigned a single F pax?
It is my understanding that they ONLY travel in pairs.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 12:57 pm
Original Member

<redacted>

Back on the OP - can someone who has "good" access to the actual GDS system tell us if there are any "out of service" seats on the flight?

Last edited by JDiver; Jun 24, 2013 at 1:24 pm Reason: redacted deleted post content and reply
Old Jun 24, 2013, 1:01 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HH Diamond
Makes me concerned for my confirmed seats later this year on same flight in Z category for my wife and I.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 1:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
I do have a ticket number #0012xxxxxxxxx...

I can change the thread title if you want. i was just using the verbiage from AA agent's that i spoke to on the phone, i apologize for the confusion.

I am hopeful for a good resolution as well.

I just wanted all advice that I could get and yes flyertalk was very helpful... I have found my travel agent on here, and hopefully you guys saved my seats, but I still get to go on vacation.

I don't know if the wifi on the plane is good enough to send a pic, but if it is,i will include a pic of my seat.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 1:23 pm

(Actually, you can not change a thread title - but we have. )

OK, good, you have ticket numbers - that's the "gold standard", and now you will play "seat assignment lottery". Maybe you will have a very famous person, or an AA exec or two, in the cabin? Regardless, we'll be interested to hear how this all works out. Bon voyage.

Originally Posted by guy999
I do have a ticket number #0012xxxxxxxxx...

I can change the thread title if you want. i was just using the verbiage from AA agent's that i spoke to on the phone, i apologize for the confusion.

I am hopeful for a good resolution as well.

I just wanted all advice that I could get and yes flyertalk was very helpful... I have found my travel agent on here, and hopefully you guys saved my seats, but I still get to go on vacation.

I don't know if the wifi on the plane is good enough to send a pic, but if it is,i will include a pic of my seat.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 1:30 pm

Programs: AA PLT, AAdv since Day One
I just read this thread from beginning to this point for the first time. First, I really hope it works out for the OP and his wife. Sounds like the trip means more to them than we know. I also admire the OP for his patience in this matter.

My question, if it can be answered, is whether or not there are now 8 F ticketed passengers *none* of whom are the OP and his wife. The OP may want to ask it of AA. If that is the case, then they have 10 F pax ticketed (including OP and wife) and either they are hoping (or have reason to believe) that 2 pax will be no-shows or the OP is going to be in for surprise at check-in.

If there are 8 ticketed pax and the OP and his wife are in fact two of the 8 then all will be good and the loss of seat assignment might very well be the "glitch" previously mentioned.

Good luck!
Old Jun 24, 2013, 1:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by inlanikai
I just read this thread from beginning to this point for the first time. First, I really hope it works out for the OP and his wife. Sounds like the trip means more to them than we know. I also admire the OP for his patience in this matter.

My question, if it can be answered, is whether or not there are now 8 F ticketed passengers *none* of whom are the OP and his wife. The OP may want to ask it of AA. If that is the case, then they have 10 F pax ticketed (including OP and wife) and either they are hoping (or have reason to believe) that 2 pax will be no-shows or the OP is going to be in for surprise at check-in.

If there are 8 ticketed pax and the OP and his wife are in fact two of the 8 then all will be good and the loss of seat assignment might very well be the "glitch" previously mentioned.

Good luck!

I did ask that about how many ticketed F passengers and they kinda avoided the question. But they did say that all of the seats were assigned, and then when I said but we have no seat assignments they said we needed to check at the gate.

I did followup with if all of the seats are assigned and we don't have seats how exactly are we going to get into a F seat and they once again said you need to ask at the gate.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 1:34 pm

My guess is that an "employee" did a seat swap for himself or a "friend".

They can certainly see WHO changed your seats in the system and when. They will tell you they cannot, however, as it just takes too much of their time.

My guess is they will do an involuntary downgrade of someone to business class if all takers come. Hopefully for the op, they won't.

Last edited by Flyingfox; Jun 24, 2013 at 1:40 pm
Old Jun 24, 2013, 1:45 pm

I hope this isn't a sign of SOP for AA. maybe DP wanted to fly to LHR in the new bird.
Not DP's style, he and his family are usually in coach, even though he is given positive space FC seats. I think he sits in first only if they are available last minute.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 1:46 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, HH Diamond
Employee, friend of employee, or FAM? Maybe OP you'll get to meet who is in your original seat while on the plane. I for one am looking forward to the end of the story. Have a great trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.