Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

2013-15 77W / 777-300ER First award seat disruptions and downgrades (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2013-15 77W / 777-300ER First award seat disruptions and downgrades (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2013, 8:58 am

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by guy999
well i wrote on facebook, but the message is gone now.
I see it on there. You just have to go to "Posts by Others" to view it.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 9:08 am

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Gold Elite, Lowly kettle across every other loyalty program.
OP: You have options to get to LHR in F in time for the MXP flight, and I'd just insist that AA rebook you at their expense. You can go via JFK or MIA on BA codeshares, and as pointed out earlier, ORD via AA. Please continue to keep us posted.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 9:10 am

Programs: AA Ex Plat, Bonvoy Ambassador, Alaska MVP Gold, UA Silver
AA DFW-LHR in F award seats, AA cancelled seats 2 days before flight

If the poster is reacommodated on the same flight in a lower cabin at the airport, would they be able to claim involuntary bump and be able to collect a travel voucher for the difference in ticket costs? I seem to recall that this was valid even for award tickets as recently as a few years ago.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 9:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by Psyclone*Jack
One anecdote to share:

A few months ago I was on a DFW - MIA - SJU itinerary with my wife, I was paid on a SWU and she was an award ticket in First. When we arrived at the airport to check in Ticket Agent pulled her itinerary and said it showed as cancelled. I, like the OP, had checked seat assignments and itineraries as recently as few days prior and all was in place. Strange thing was her original seat was show as available but "not bookable." After much discussion and checking with the EXP Desk it was discovered that during a schedule change and rebooking a few months prior the award miles had been accidentally refunded to her account when a new routing was booked.

So the ticket showed as cancelled, but the seat was still reserved, like it was being held until the miles were applied back to the reservation. The ticket agent did exactly that, re-applied the miles to the reservation and we were good to go. All parties noted that it was very odd that the miles were refunded, ticket showed as cancelled, but the seats were still held and viewed as reserved through the PNR as I saw online a few days before.

So you may want to check to see that the original seats, while showing as unavailable, are actually booked....they may be held for someone...you! Also check to see if the miles are still in your account, though at 500k I imagine you would notice if they were.

they haven't given the miles back, i checked that last night. nope just checked again, they are all still gone.

I don't know how to check to see if the original seats are booked to me. How can I tell that?

twitter tells me"We're showing that you're booking in First Class, but there are no seats available to assign. ", but I already had seats booked in first class before and now they are gone.

twitter is going to check with dfw, and I'm going to try and check in early. if I can go at lunch I will

Can I check in at the airport without my wife since we are both traveling together or do we both need to go over?

Also can I check in and then bring my bags tomorrow? I haven't finished packing and don't really want to leave my bags for 24 hours, I'm afraid they would get lost?
Old Jun 24, 2013, 9:13 am

Programs: AA GLD, Marriott PLT, Hilton Diamond
If he gets bumped down to J, I would certainly expect the difference in miles to be refunded.

It's still not totally clear to me if his itinerary was totally CANCELLED and he has no reservation and no valid ticket anymore, or if he simply has no seat assignment.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 9:14 am

Hang on folks - I don't think OP has ever said his reservation has been cancelled. Only that he's lost his seat assignments. That sometimes happens, though it's unusual in international F, and it's annoying, but it doesn't mean the reservation has been cancelled and/or he won't get to fly.
OP doesn't seem to be hugely experienced with AA and may be panicking unduly. He may find that seats will be assigned when he tries to check-in at T-24, or ultimately at the airport.
Hope things go smoothly and he has a great trip.

Happy Travels.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Can I check in at the airport without my wife since we are both traveling together or do we both need to go over?
Also can I check in and then bring my bags tomorrow? I haven't finished packing and don't really want to leave my bags for 24 hours, I'm afraid they would get lost?
Stop agonizing. You are not going to get on that flight in F or even J (J1).
Just rebook using the numerous options already suggested and pursue compensation after the fact.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 9:19 am

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
Originally Posted by dmsdfw
Is this likely a case of some AA executive deciding they need to be on that flight and bumping the lowest hanging fruit? I seem to recall that at least some senior execs have the power to do that and it would explain the use of word "corporate".
So it seems. Poor guy is looking so forward to flying this particular service and paid full price to do it. It's a bad story.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 9:19 am

I'd suggest online check-in.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 9:26 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by NDFan
Hang on folks - I don't think OP has ever said his reservation has been cancelled. Only that he's lost his seat assignments. That sometimes happens, though it's unusual in international F, and it's annoying, but it doesn't mean the reservation has been cancelled and/or he won't get to fly.
OP doesn't seem to be hugely experienced with AA and may be panicking unduly. He may find that seats will be assigned when he tries to check-in at T-24, or ultimately at the airport.
Hope things go smoothly and he has a great trip.

Happy Travels.
Yes to this.

Originally Posted by SFO777
Stop agonizing. You are not going to get on that flight in F or even J (J1).
Just rebook using the numerous options already suggested and pursue compensation after the fact.
Likely No to this. It seems that the OP is on the flight. Just seat assignments gone. AA do not overbook the top cabin. Most likely is that there are seats open, but that are under airport control and showing as "taken."

OP should go to the airport to check-in today. But mrs. OP will need to be there as they will want to see a passport at check-in, AFAIK.

Cheers.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Nothing I read here surprises me anymore but I'm floored at the constant drumbeat (from the OP, no less) that AA has "taken" his seats to accommodate a VIP or Executive or someone from "corporate" with no evidence to support those fanciful claims. And like moths to bug lights, several have chimed in to denounce that terrible behaviour.

Nothing the OP has posted indicates that his reservations have been cancelled, only that his seat assignments have gone AWOL.

Anybody remember the glitch two weeks ago that affected the LAX-MIA 777s? And how it was a glitch that was remedied? My money is on a glitch that, unfortunately, has needlessly worried the OP.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 9:36 am
Original Poster

ok my wife and i are going at lunch to the airport.

do we have to take our bags?

just as an addendum, I got global entry just for this trip and I'm approved and everything( I did have 5 months to plan) for global entry too. kinda sucks I just wish things were going right.

I am still optimistic for the reasons in the post above, and hope that it's just a glitch.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 9:37 am

ok my wife and i are going at lunch to the airport.

do we have to take our bags?

just as an addendum, I got global entry just for this trip and I'm approved and everything( I did have 5 months to plan) for global entry too. kinda sucks I just wish things were going right.

I am still optimistic for the reasons in the post above, and hope that it's just a glitch.
No, you should be able to check them upon arrival the second time.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 9:40 am
Original Poster

also I can't check in early online, at least not yet right now.

and I am very hopeful for computer glitch. It's just been a bad few months at work. Pretty much every day for about 90 days and every weekend( one day or the other) for about the last 6 months, so I was really looking forward to the trip and when I noticed that the weather was good in dallas for the flight, I figured nothing could go wrong.

Last edited by guy999; Jun 24, 2013 at 9:46 am
Old Jun 24, 2013, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by brp
It seems that the OP is on the flight. Just seat assignments gone. AA do not overbook the top cabin. Most likely is that there are seats open, but that are under airport control and showing as "taken."
OP should go to the airport to check-in today. But mrs. OP will need to be there as they will want to see a passport at check-in, AFAIK.
Cheers.
If OP is indeed still on the flight, then hopefully it is just a glitch.
Agree about going to DFW and checking in today.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.