Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

"Your Elite Status" email from AA: No soft landing 2014 onward (Confirmed)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 22, 2013, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
AA has confirmed that there will be no "soft landings" (whereby elite members will drop a maximum of one elite level regardless of miles flown) for 2014:
Originally Posted by AmericanAirlines
To clarify, the Soft Landing policy will be going away at the end of the year.

However, this does not change how an AAdvantage member can earn Elite status. If you currently hold Executive Platinum status (through February 28, 2014), but only earn enough Elite qualifying miles to qualify for Gold status by December 31, 2013, then you will receive the status that you meet the criteria for (as opposed to receiving a soft landing exception to Platinum status), which would go into effect March 1, 2014.

Status earned as a result of Double EQM promotions and Elite status challenges will, of course, be honored. Additionally, customers who have earned AAdvantage Gold or Platinum status as a result of the Million Miler program will continue to receive their benefits for the lifetime of those programs
Print Wikipost

"Your Elite Status" email from AA: No soft landing 2014 onward (Confirmed)

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2013, 5:18 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
What a completely rude email and a lousy way to do business. I guess we can see how the "New American" is going to treat customers.
Old May 22, 2013, 5:35 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Interesting. I've always qualified with 100k+ BIS miles or 100k+ points. Never did a challenge nor received any complimentary bump. Didn't receive an email.
Old May 22, 2013, 5:58 am

Programs: AA EXP & 1MM (Lifetime Gold); Marriott Gold; National Exec Emerald's
Originally Posted by ExpatExp
Interesting. I've always qualified with 100k+ BIS miles or 100k+ points. Never did a challenge nor received any complimentary bump. Didn't receive an email.
Same here.
Old May 22, 2013, 6:17 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT PLT 2.6MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by bzbdewd
What a completely rude email and a lousy way to do business. I guess we can see how the "New American" is going to treat customers.
The "New American" looks like it's going to give the level of elite status to those who actually earn it. And they let us know in CYQ2. I think this is a fine business move, frankly.

I see it that AA has given out higher elite status to too many people over the past few years with DEQM promotions (or triple if you took advantage of the SFO & LAX offers from DFW/ORD), status matches to the highest tier, etc., some that are still going on. They're going to have a wave of new FF's joining the pool without enough increased capacity to accommodate those FF's who upgrade to J or F. They need to trim their elite pool somehow, and if this does indeed eliminate the soft landing policy, while that really sucks for us knowing that the "cushion" was there, it is a business move that needs to be made.

This is no different then when many of us come on here and complain about the travesty of not being upgraded at T-100 or at all. If you want F, pay for it (I've paid for F one time in the past 200 segments). The bottom line is that the "New American" is running a business, not a charity, and while I included feel as entitled as ever being EXP, the reality is that at some point, AA has to make money, or there will be no AA. Then EXP won't be taking me anywhere.
Old May 22, 2013, 6:29 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
I just got it too...maybe they are sending to everyone?
Old May 22, 2013, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
I didn't get the email.. but am Lifetime Platinum. Does that mean that AA will rescind this next year?
Old May 22, 2013, 6:42 am

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, UA Platinum, others
US doesn't do soft landings.

Sometimes, they don't even land with wheels: http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...94H0AT20130518
Old May 22, 2013, 6:42 am

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
"Your Elite Status" email from AA; end of soft landing?

I am happy to see this finally happen. Alaska does not have a soft landing policy, either and you don't hear too much hand wringing and wailing there.
Old May 22, 2013, 6:53 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
I just hope for your sake you never have a year that for whatever reason you don't fly as much... just one year. Then, you are back to ground zero. We have flown AA a great deal - mrbzbdewd is about 20K from MM and I'm about 50K away but I'm betting that will get the ax next.

But, the bright side of this is we will now choose more based on product and price. AA is certainly NOT the leader in either one and with the merger likely to be less so. We have remained loyal because having status makes things a little easier if there are problems, and the product is generally consistent (though generally not great). There have been several times when a business class fare on another carrier was within $150-200 of coach on AA. Guess which one I'm choosing now?
Old May 22, 2013, 7:01 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT PLT 2.6MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
There have been several times when a business class fare on another carrier was within $150-200 of coach on AA. Guess which one I'm choosing now?
Suit yourself. Ill still stick by AA out of ORD.
Old May 22, 2013, 7:03 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by dayone
But if a new third tier (75K?) with a lifetime threshold (4-5M?) is added, it could offer some benefit.
It = third tier or it = soft-landing elimination?

With regard to just the third tier, probably not in context of the post from which you snipped a partial quote. With regard to just the soft landing elimination, then perhaps yes in the same context.
Old May 22, 2013, 7:12 am

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
FWIW, as LT Plat I have not receive any email with respect to this thread's topic.

Last edited by aaupgrade; May 24, 2013 at 6:17 am
Old May 22, 2013, 7:51 am

Programs: AA LT Plat, 6.0 MM, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by gooseman13
I just got it too...maybe they are sending to everyone?
I haven't, probably because I'm LT Platinum? This year I wouldn't even make Gold.

Or, like others up-thread, perhaps because I've never had a challenge or a soft landing.
Old May 22, 2013, 7:55 am

Programs: AA EXP CONKEY, HYATT GLOB, SPG PLAT
I am thankful for this. It's about time that the people who actually earned it are rewarded with less members of that elite group.
Old May 22, 2013, 8:05 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
No email here. Qualification through 1+ of miles/points/segments. No bump up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.