Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

FAQ: Cancel award ticket / cancellation (time frame, taxes, etc.) (merged threads)

Old Aug 27, 2015, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
FAQ: Cancel / canceling an award ticket
Time frame, miles redeposit fees, refund of fees and taxes, permitted changes, etc.

In progress. Please feel free to add.

Q. Will I incur a cost to cancel my award and redeposit my miles?

Maybe. Executive Platinum members are redeposit fee exempt if they're redepositing awards, and significant changes in flight scheduling may also allow fee-free redeposit.

One award from one account incurs a $150 redeposit fee; every other award re deposited to the same account will additionally cost $25. For a family of four with awards from one account, that means $225; from separate accounts, $600.

Q. Don't I have 24 hours to cancel my award flight without charge (like paid tickets)?

Yes. You now have the option of putting an award on five day hold, and once you purchase there's a (strictly 24 hours) 24 hour free cancellation period for award tickets.

Q. What if the airline canceled my flight / changed my schedule / changed my equipment?

If the airline or partner canceled a flight, or changed equipment, you can negotiate for / agree to reaccommodation, or ask to cancel the award and redeposit the miles free.

If there is a significant change, over 120 minutes or more internationally, for example, you may also be able to redeposit your miles free of charges. ANY Equipment Swap counts as significant change per this thread wiki: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/945200-aa-schedule-changes-free-flight-change-cancelation-refund-consolidated.html

Q. What if my plans necessitate the cancellation?

If you think you'll be taking this trip in the future (within the award expiration period), you could change the dates without penalty. If an airline cancels a flight or the trip affected by is significant changes in the future, you can cancel without redeposit fees.

Q. How long are awards good for?

Awards are good for one year after they are taken out.

You can request to have your AAdvantage mileage reinstated for an unused AAdvantage flight award if your ticket has not expired. Partially used awards cannot be reinstated.

Changes other than cancellations/ miles redeposit

Please see: Award Change for date, time, routing, co-terminal, cost, etc. all changes
Print Wikipost

FAQ: Cancel award ticket / cancellation (time frame, taxes, etc.) (merged threads)

Old Oct 30, 2018, 8:24 pm

Programs: AA P4L, WN, BA, DL, UA, HHonors, IHG
Question Cost to Cancel International Award Travel (Two One-Ways)? (to merge)

How much will it cost to cancel a January trip from North America to Argentina? I've been waiting for months for AA to do a schedule change, so I could cancel free, but that hasn't happened.

I have two separate reservations, one outbound AUS to EZE and the other return. Both are Business-class award travel. I'm Platinum.

So, if I cancel what will the cost be?

Thank you.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 8:52 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Middle_Seat
How much will it cost to cancel a January trip from North America to Argentina? I've been waiting for months for AA to do a schedule change, so I could cancel free, but that hasn't happened.

I have two separate reservations, one outbound AUS to EZE and the other return. Both are Business-class award travel. I'm Platinum.

So, if I cancel what will the cost be?

Thank you.
Two awards from the same account will normally cost you $150 for the first, $25 for the second award. This is really the redeposit fee, as cancelling itself costs nothing.

Cancelling is easy, and can be done online. You must call to sequester request miles redeposit separately.

Last edited by JDiver; Oct 31, 2018 at 9:57 am
Old Oct 30, 2018, 8:53 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
deleted
Old Oct 30, 2018, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's an award ticket. @:-)
The cost will be $175 assuming the miles originally came from the same frequent flyer account.
JDiver likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by Acid
$150 to refund miles for each ticket. You can change dates for free if you plan to make the trip upto 1 yr from original ticketing date. And if you are on the east coast, a good chance that winter storms in Jan can allow free reinstatement(I've been lucky few times)
Nope. $150 for the first award, $25 for the second to redeposit miles (not cancel, which is free), as long as they’re from the same account - regardless of separate PNRs or not. If they’re cancelled separately, $300.

You’re correct about winter weather, and the cancellation can be up to the time if departure.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 9:00 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by JDiver
Nope. $150 forbthe first award, $25 forbthe second to redeposit Miles (not cancel, which is free), as long as they’re from the same account - regardless of separate PNRs or not.
My bad! If OP doesn't need the miles right away, I would suggest to hold off for any weather waivers/schedule changes.
JDiver likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 5:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Another option is to take advantage of AA's free date and time changes on awards, and switch both flights to another date way off in the future, and keep watching for the inevitable schedule change.
JDiver likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by JDiver
You must call to sequester request miles redeposit separately.
Thank you JDiver and other responders. I don't understand the underlined text. All the miles came from my AAdvantage account.

In the event of a schedule change, I wonder if I would be able to cancel both the outbound and return reservations (different PNRs) without penalty.

Last edited by JDiver; Oct 31, 2018 at 9:56 am
Old Oct 31, 2018, 8:33 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Thank you JDiver and other responders. I don't understand the underlined text. All the miles came from my AAdvantage account.

In the event of a schedule change, I wonder if I would be able to cancel both the outbound and return reservations (different PNRs) without penalty.
Not just PNR's but tickets.

The by-the-book answer is that if you are on two tickets and a change which would warrant a cancellation occurs, you may cancel and refund that ticket without cost. That is true no matter how you paid for the ticket, e.g., cash vs. redemption, In theory, the second ticket is unaffected. But, some agents will cancel and refund the second ticket too (without fee). If an agent won't, you would pay $150 to redeposit those miles as well. But, I would not cancel that second ticket until closer in because you might luck into a change or cancellation permitting a fee free redeposit for that ticket as well.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think that was an autocorrect: sequester => request. Technically, canceling the reservation is a separate act from re-depositing the award/miles. You need to request both, although of course you can do it at the same time with the same agent.

Technically no, it's one drawback of booking separate one-ways, but you may find an agent willing to waive the fee.
JDiver likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by ijgordon
I think that was an autocorrect: sequester => request. Technically, canceling the reservation is a separate act from re-depositing the award/miles. You need to request both, although of course you can do it at the same time with the same agent.

Technically no, it's one drawback of booking separate one-ways, but you may find an agent willing to waive the fee.
Yes, thanks; typo now corrected. When the lighting isn’t great, my autocowrecked gets the best of me - at least until my near vision improves with my pending cataract surgeries.

Fortunately, we’ve had a number of people who had the 150+25 redeposit fees even when the awards redeposited were on separate PNRs.
ijgordon likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 10:26 am

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Somewhat related - If four are traveling on the same award ticket (four passengers, single PNR) and we cancel/redeposit, is it $150 or $150 + $75?
Old Nov 1, 2018, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by geo1005
Somewhat related - If four are traveling on the same award ticket (four passengers, single PNR) and we cancel/redeposit, is it $150 or $150 + $75?
$150+75 single pnr or not, The charge amount is determined by whether the miles are from the same account, and you redepositing at the same time, not whether they are from the same PNR
Old Jan 11, 2019, 3:59 pm

I'm the OP. Here is how it finally went down:

On my first call in to the Plat line, the CSR told me the cost would be $150 * 2 = $300. I told her I needed to think about it and waited several weeks, hoping the schedule would change...it did not.

On my second call, the CSR told me that, since it was a single trip, the cost would be $150. I said OK, let's do it. After a few moments she said the computer wouldn't let her charge $150, it forced her to $150 + $25 = $175. She completed the cancellation and began the process of returning AAdvantage miles to my account. Several days later the miles were reinstated.

Thanks to all who responded!
Old Feb 22, 2019, 2:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, SPG Platinum, National Executive
Would a nonelite get the $75 close in fee refunded if they opt to redeposit the miles ($150 fee)?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.