Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

FAQ: Cancel award ticket / cancellation (time frame, taxes, etc.) (merged threads)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 27, 2015, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
FAQ: Cancel / canceling an award ticket
Time frame, miles redeposit fees, refund of fees and taxes, permitted changes, etc.

In progress. Please feel free to add.

Q. Will I incur a cost to cancel my award and redeposit my miles?

Maybe. Executive Platinum members are redeposit fee exempt if they're redepositing awards, and significant changes in flight scheduling may also allow fee-free redeposit.

One award from one account incurs a $150 redeposit fee; every other award re deposited to the same account will additionally cost $25. For a family of four with awards from one account, that means $225; from separate accounts, $600.

Q. Don't I have 24 hours to cancel my award flight without charge (like paid tickets)?

Yes. You now have the option of putting an award on five day hold, and once you purchase there's a (strictly 24 hours) 24 hour free cancellation period for award tickets.

Q. What if the airline canceled my flight / changed my schedule / changed my equipment?

If the airline or partner canceled a flight, or changed equipment, you can negotiate for / agree to reaccommodation, or ask to cancel the award and redeposit the miles free.

If there is a significant change, over 120 minutes or more internationally, for example, you may also be able to redeposit your miles free of charges. ANY Equipment Swap counts as significant change per this thread wiki: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/945200-aa-schedule-changes-free-flight-change-cancelation-refund-consolidated.html

Q. What if my plans necessitate the cancellation?

If you think you'll be taking this trip in the future (within the award expiration period), you could change the dates without penalty. If an airline cancels a flight or the trip affected by is significant changes in the future, you can cancel without redeposit fees.

Q. How long are awards good for?

Awards are good for one year after they are taken out.

You can request to have your AAdvantage mileage reinstated for an unused AAdvantage flight award if your ticket has not expired. Partially used awards cannot be reinstated.

Changes other than cancellations/ miles redeposit

Please see: Award Change for date, time, routing, co-terminal, cost, etc. all changes
Print Wikipost

FAQ: Cancel award ticket / cancellation (time frame, taxes, etc.) (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2017, 12:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by dislab
I haven't flied AA for a while. I booked an award flight and thought it has the 24-hour free cancellation. I need to cancel it but just found out there is a redeposit fee. This is so stupid. I would have been more careful if I had knew this policy. The flight costs me only 7500 miles, so it is not even worth the $150 fee. What is my option now? Just let it be wasted? United doesn't charge anything like this.
United does charge fees though https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...ticketing.aspx , though is to a max of $125

For a single redeposit AA is more expensive, but not by much for travel within 2 months. For multiple tickets, UA can be easily more expensive

There is no fee for date changes. Are you able to do the trip on another date within a year?
Old Jan 6, 2017, 12:26 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
United does charge fees though https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...ticketing.aspx , though is to a max of $125

For a single redeposit AA is more expensive, but not by much for travel within 2 months. For multiple tickets, UA can be easily more expensive

There is no fee for date changes. Are you able to do the trip on another date within a year?
I am pretty sure United doesn't charge any fee on award travel if it is cancelled within 24 hours.

I called AA and was told that I need to email the headquarter to see if they can waive the fee. Anyone tried before or is there some other ways? Any successful story? Thanks.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 7:34 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Each program has plus and minuses. UA charges on any type of change once ticketed.

AA lets your change date/routing/carrier (if original award is oneworld).

UA charges $200 to redeposit. AA - $150. If re-depositing multiple awards back to same AA account during the same call, each subsequent redeposit fee is $25 after the first $150. With UA, it adds up quickly if $200 per ticket.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 11:05 am

Who do I contact to get mileage reinstated for an award flight where the schedule change results in the first leg of my flight missing?

I had booked VCE-PHL-DTW and VCE-PHL is canceled, leaving my reservation just PHL-DTW. I called reservations and the rep canceled the flight and told me to go online and request a refund.

I filled out the form here, https://prefunds.aa.com/refunds/. My status lists as pending a week later. Now I notice the bottom of the page says "If you have an AAdvantage Award ticket, do not use this form for refunds. To reinstate mileage from AAdvantage Award tickets, please visit the AAdvantage section of AA.com or call 1-800-882-8880."

So was the rep wrong and I need to call again or is the webpage wrong?
Old Jan 6, 2017, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by seawolf

UA charges $200 to redeposit. AA - $150. If re-depositing multiple awards back to same AA account during the same call, each subsequent redeposit fee is $25 after the first $150. With UA, it adds up quickly if $200 per ticket.
For tickets issued from Oct 6, UA charges $125 for cancellations within 60 days of departure and $75 otherwise for general members.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 11:11 am

Originally Posted by Dom Bologna
Who do I contact to get mileage reinstated for an award flight where the schedule change results in the first leg of my flight missing?

I had booked VCE-PHL-DTW and VCE-PHL is canceled, leaving my reservation just PHL-DTW. I called reservations and the rep canceled the flight and told me to go online and request a refund.

I filled out the form here, https://prefunds.aa.com/refunds/. My status lists as pending a week later. Now I notice the bottom of the page says "If you have an AAdvantage Award ticket, do not use this form for refunds. To reinstate mileage from AAdvantage Award tickets, please visit the AAdvantage section of AA.com or call 1-800-882-8880."

So was the rep wrong and I need to call again or is the webpage wrong?
Cal and speak to AAdvantage - the agent gave incorrect advice regarding cancelligg award and getting the mileage reinstated
Old Jan 6, 2017, 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by seawolf
Each program has plus and minuses. UA charges on any type of change once ticketed.

AA lets your change date/routing/carrier (if original award is oneworld).

I am confused about UA award travel cancellation policy. I tried booking with miles and cancelled almost immediately. The miles went back to my account automatically and there was no redeposit fee. Why is there no fee? Thanks.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
I am confused about UA award travel cancellation policy. I tried booking with miles and cancelled almost immediately. The miles went back to my account automatically and there was no redeposit fee. Why is there no fee? Thanks.
Was it less then 24hrs from booking that you canceled? If so that's the reason.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Was it less then 24hrs from booking that you canceled? If so that's the reason.
yes, it is within 24 hrs. so AA charges mileage redeposit fee even within 24 hrs, but UA only charges it after 24 hrs, is this correct? Thanks.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 7:11 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
yes, it is within 24 hrs. so AA charges mileage redeposit fee even within 24 hrs, but UA only charges it after 24 hrs, is this correct? Thanks.
Correct. You can still cancel UA awards within 24hrs for no fee. Oftentimes this can even be done online without having to call UA.

-FlyerBeek
Old Jan 7, 2017, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Cal and speak to AAdvantage - the agent gave incorrect advice regarding cancelligg award and getting the mileage reinstated
Thanks! I called and the AAdvantage rep was much more helpful. The points have be reinstaged. Although, when I asked about the taxes being refunded, the rep said he had to check the code for it and put me on hold. Then I was disconnected. I'm hoping the refund is processed without having to make another call.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 8:35 am

Question Award reservation modification procedure?

Have business class award reservation for a TATL trip in summer using my award miles. Two passengers are on the itinerary. One suddenly passed away. The remaining person still wants to make the trip. Is there a particular number to call or service desk to contact to modify the reservation & get associated miles re-deposited?
Old Feb 12, 2017, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by worldwidetraveler
Have business class award reservation for a TATL trip in summer using my award miles. Two passengers are on the itinerary. One suddenly passed away. The remaining person still wants to make the trip. Is there a particular number to call or service desk to contact to modify the reservation & get associated miles re-deposited?
Sorry for your loss. Just call your normal AA reservations number, they will be able to cancel that ticket and redeposit the miles. Given the circumstances AA should waive the redeposit fee.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 9:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Not really a big deal, but just curious...

I had a DTW-PHL-DOH-DEL award booked for later this month, and recently called to drop the DTW-PHL segment. I was expecting to get $5.60 in taxes back, but instead had to pay an extra $4. Any reason why?
Old Apr 14, 2017, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by aacar
Not really a big deal, but just curious...

I had a DTW-PHL-DOH-DEL award booked for later this month, and recently called to drop the DTW-PHL segment. I was expecting to get $5.60 in taxes back, but instead had to pay an extra $4. Any reason why?
The $5.60 US Sep. 11 Security Fee will be due whether you are just flying DTW-PHL or DTW-PHL-DOH. That wouldn't change.

The extra $4 could be due to exchange rate differences in the Qatari or Indian taxes levied in the local currencies, or it could be a tax increase or add'l tax that was levied since you originally booked it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.