Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

FAQ: Cancel award ticket / cancellation (time frame, taxes, etc.) (merged threads)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 27, 2015, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
FAQ: Cancel / canceling an award ticket
Time frame, miles redeposit fees, refund of fees and taxes, permitted changes, etc.

In progress. Please feel free to add.

Q. Will I incur a cost to cancel my award and redeposit my miles?

Maybe. Executive Platinum members are redeposit fee exempt if they're redepositing awards, and significant changes in flight scheduling may also allow fee-free redeposit.

One award from one account incurs a $150 redeposit fee; every other award re deposited to the same account will additionally cost $25. For a family of four with awards from one account, that means $225; from separate accounts, $600.

Q. Don't I have 24 hours to cancel my award flight without charge (like paid tickets)?

Yes. You now have the option of putting an award on five day hold, and once you purchase there's a (strictly 24 hours) 24 hour free cancellation period for award tickets.

Q. What if the airline canceled my flight / changed my schedule / changed my equipment?

If the airline or partner canceled a flight, or changed equipment, you can negotiate for / agree to reaccommodation, or ask to cancel the award and redeposit the miles free.

If there is a significant change, over 120 minutes or more internationally, for example, you may also be able to redeposit your miles free of charges. ANY Equipment Swap counts as significant change per this thread wiki: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/945200-aa-schedule-changes-free-flight-change-cancelation-refund-consolidated.html

Q. What if my plans necessitate the cancellation?

If you think you'll be taking this trip in the future (within the award expiration period), you could change the dates without penalty. If an airline cancels a flight or the trip affected by is significant changes in the future, you can cancel without redeposit fees.

Q. How long are awards good for?

Awards are good for one year after they are taken out.

You can request to have your AAdvantage mileage reinstated for an unused AAdvantage flight award if your ticket has not expired. Partially used awards cannot be reinstated.

Changes other than cancellations/ miles redeposit

Please see: Award Change for date, time, routing, co-terminal, cost, etc. all changes
Print Wikipost

FAQ: Cancel award ticket / cancellation (time frame, taxes, etc.) (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2015, 1:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

What date did you book the ticket? I would make sure to request the mileage redeposit no more than 1 year from date of ticketing

There is nothing in the fare rules that I am aware of that has a no-show penalty , so should be able to cancel and redeposit with no issue after date of travel

I assume you will know before date of travel that you wont be travelling though, so would do it once know for certain
Old Jul 4, 2015, 7:02 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Might you still be taking that trip, but on different dates?
As long as the dep and arrival cities are the same, you can change dates--so no redeposit is necessary.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 9:12 pm

Won't know for sure if I can make the date til later in the year, but don't look likely currently. I guess I'll wait til closer to the date and cancel if I have to. From whats mentioned here, looks like there won't be another $75 fee added if i cancel within 21 days of the flight. That's good to know.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 9:21 am

Programs: Continental
Cancel award ticket?

Quick question...I may need to cancel an award ticket.
Is there a penalty or fee to get the miles back.
No status on AA
Thanks
Old Aug 27, 2015, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Yes: $150, unless there is a significant (> 120 minutes) schedule change, in which case the re-deposit fee is waived.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 12:02 pm

Can you still cancel without fee if AA accommodates you on a different flight?

Say AA123 is DFW-ORD departing at 10am. AA123 is changed to depart at 1pm. But they put you on AA321 departing at 10.15am. They did this automatically.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 12:26 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by bmchris

Say AA123 is DFW-ORD departing at 10am. AA123 is changed to depart at 1pm. But they put you on AA321 departing at 10.15am. They did this automatically.
Most likely no, as you are within 15 minutes of original schedule. You can always try to call and see what they say. You may find an agent who is more amenable to bending the rules. A definite YMMV.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 12:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP - Marriott LT Platinum - National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by bmchris

Very doubtful as AA is getting you to your destination at roughly the same time. You need at least 60 mins to make a good case for trip in vain as an elite.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 12:34 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
You will have to pay $150 to reinstate the miles.

But, if you might be taking this flight set in the future (awards are good for one year from when you secure them) there would be no change fees. And if they changed the schedule significantly (120 minutes or more) or canceled one of the flights, you could then cancel that award and redeposit the miles without paying a redeposit fee.

You will notice we've merged your query into the existing thread. This prevents information fragmentation, makes finding answers easier for those who search as recommended, and honors those members who have taken the time and effort to share their knowledge.

/Moderator
Old Sep 9, 2015, 4:13 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Jetblue Mosaic, Alaska MVP Gold, National Executive Elite
An additional data point -

I have 2 separate award reservations on 2 separate PNRs but using miles from the same account. AA would not let me redeposit both for $150 + $25. Instead, they wanted $150 + $150 as they are on separate PNRs (flights are 6 months apart and have nothing to do with each other).

Has anybody else had this same experience? I might try calling back and trying my luck with another agent
Old Sep 9, 2015, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by zhaofa90
An additional data point -

I have 2 separate award reservations on 2 separate PNRs but using miles from the same account. AA would not let me redeposit both for $150 + $25. Instead, they wanted $150 + $150 as they are on separate PNRs (flights are 6 months apart and have nothing to do with each other).

Has anybody else had this same experience? I might try calling back and trying my luck with another agent
HUACA.

As long as both awards came from the same account and are re-deposited at the same time, the fee should be $150 for the first award + $25 for each additional award.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 1:57 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
I have a question about this multiple awards from same account redeposit.

I have to more or less undo a section of a RTW trip, most of the part in question is booked with AA miles and while all miles were from my account, it's lots of pax (5) on several separate segments, dates and classes of travel. I'd like to minimize the redeposit fees. What are chances these can benefit from this rule or how many fees do you think I will have to pay? In other words, any chance I can get all of these redeposited all at once for just the $150 fee (plus $25 for each additional pax)?

HKG-SIN (4 J and 1 Y on 2 itineraries)
SIN-BKK (5 J all 1 itin)
BKK-DOH (2 F and 3 J on 2 intins)

Originally Posted by guv1976

HUACA.

As long as both awards came from the same account and are re-deposited at the same time, the fee should be $150 for the first award + $25 for each additional award.
Old Sep 22, 2015, 1:25 pm

Programs: AA CK / Marriott Worthless Ambassador
another question--- if i book awards as a Platinum, then become EP can i cancel and redeposit those awards with no fee? or do they have to be booked as an EP?
Old Sep 22, 2015, 1:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by JBauer
another question--- if i book awards as a Platinum, then become EP can i cancel and redeposit those awards with no fee? or do they have to be booked as an EP?
Status at time of cxl/re-deposit it what applies. I booked 1 award trip when I dropped back down to Plat for 3 months. Once I regained EXP I cancelled it and got full refunds of miles & $.
Old Sep 26, 2015, 4:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: HHonors Diamond, AA EXP
Had a suspended (change of schedule and no award space available on the days travel required) award ticket which has since expired, any previous experience in getting the miles back? Any info much appreciated!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.