Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA downgrade - compensation? What else? [merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA downgrade - compensation? What else? [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2017, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by Often1
OP has simply ignored every piece of advice and analysis, leaving one to wonder why she posted here in the first place.

1. She refuses to read the COC because if she did she would learn that she (or her husband as to his ticket) agreed that there is nothing due beyond a refund of the fare difference if seated in a less expensive cabin, e.g. downgraded.

2. She need not do any suing unless she likes paying lawyers, because AA will pay out #1 for the asking without a lawsuit and most judges frown on frivolous lawsuits.

3. On the off-chance that AA does deny a refund, it won't be hard for OP to win the refund above. But, a retroactive change in the contract is not in the cards.

Finally, it doesn't matter whether OP was bumped for a CK or a FAM. But, I wouldn't go tossing unfounded allegations around without clear evidence.

So, once again, I would ask why OP doesn't ask to be rerouted on BA or on another service with F?
Just as an FYI:
"She" is actually "He".

Dave
Old Sep 28, 2017, 6:19 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
I always thought it was a blatant lie, rather than a patent lie. However, it seems that the former tends to be malicious rather than just obvious! Thank you FT - you learn something new every day
Old Sep 28, 2017, 6:49 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by bhrubin
My husband and I were ticketed in Nov 2016 for F on AA136 from LAX-LHR today. We were on separate locators.

In June 2017, I noticed that both our reservations had been adjusted to J--with no notice. There had been an equipment swap on our 6:05 pm LAX-LHR flight with a 7:555 pm LAX-LHR. Our 6:05 pm LAX-LHR flight was 2 classes lacking F, while the 7:55 pm LAX-LHR was the original 3 classes including F.

I changed both of our reservation to the 7:55 pm flight so we could maintain our F seats. We both received an email confirmation for the change on July 10, 2017, showing we both were ticketed in F on the 7:55 pm flight in seats 2A and 2G.

Today, I checked in and was seated in 1A, and the rest of the F cabin appeared full. I didn't worry too much. I just assumed my husband was one of those other seats in F.

Until I checked in my husband. He wasn't assigned a seat at all. Calling in, they tried to give him J and explained there had been an equipment swap.

That was a patent lie, as the swap clearly occurred in/before June 2017 and we had both switched to the 77W with F after that swap. There clearly had been no further swap since our re-ticketing that was confirmed on July 10, since I was still ticketed in F and we were ticketed and confirmed at the same time on July 10 for F on the same 77W flight at 7:55 pm.

As far as I can tell, this is a blatant violation of the Contract of Carriage, but AA doesn't want to admit its error. It changed my husband's ticket from F to J AFTER the swap. That is illegal.

What are my courses of action for reimbursement from AA? There are no F seats left, so he has no choice but to fly today in J.
Your husband should request, and get, compensation. Fare difference if it was purchased F, or returned SWU if upgrade from J, or miles returned if on award, and undoubtedly some miles.

But... if your husband was displaced by a Federal Air Marshal they must lie to you, because it is a violation to tell him he was displaced by a FAM. And, no, that's not illegal, as a FAM will take precedence - legally. FAM can trigger musical chairs and wreak havoc on some (most likely award abd upgrade passengers, least likely on high status full F fare passengers, AFAIK). And a FAM is more likely to displace you closer to flight time than some time out. But, you'll never know nor have verification if it was a FAM issue.

Last edited by JDiver; Sep 28, 2017 at 7:04 pm
Old Sep 28, 2017, 6:51 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Originally Posted by lobo411

Frankly, I'll never fly AA on the LAX-LHR route again. It seems to me that AA is extremely ruthless in how they manage their inventory on this route--they'd dash a baby's brains against the wall if it would get them an extra buck of revenue.
Wow! We agree on something for the 2nd time! DFW now clearing porcine units onto final approach.

Strike One-UK/BA attitude

Strike Two-LHR LHR LHR=Cesspool Cesspool Cesspool

Strike Three-AA UK staff totally composed of jumped up comprehensive dropouts doing only what will protect their jobsworth jobs with not one iota of customer service. There is a reason they have signs behind them saying in essence "Verbal assault is still assault".

YMMV and if it does, God bless you!
Old Sep 28, 2017, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by Thunderroad
1. You might want to make clear here whether these are mileage or revenue tickets, as that could affect the advice you get.
Just to be clear, award tickets are revenue tickets; but they use a different currency.

Originally Posted by Antipode
That the seat assignments changed indicates to me that there was likely some other change that caused seats to be reassigned.
Is it possible that there was a subsequent change? Perhaps from a 77W to a 772? Even switching tail numbers to the same type of equipment has been known to cause the loss of all seat assignments.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 6:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
We have no hope for a change in his seat from J to F. We are expecting that AA will refund more than the fare difference or award miles in recognition of the bad treatment. When you contract for a service and get something less, you should get compensation beyond the difference--or else business has no incentive to ever deliver on what was contracted.

We don't expect AA will do either. Which is why we expect to never fly AA again. A real shame, but then that seems to be the story around AA these days: just USAir in even worse disguise.
I'm confused. Was this an award ticket or not?

Does husband have status? You seem to be Plat on AA. Is this right?

IMO you should try to figure out what the fare difference (or difference in miles if this was an award ticket) should be, comparing the price you paid to what you would have paid for a J ticket (not FULL J unless you purchased FULL F and FULL J was all that was available on the date of purchase) on the date you booked your ticket(s). In cases of downgrade refunds, airlines are notorious for using fares for the new class that are the most disadvantageous to the customer, for instance comparing a discounted business class fare with restrictions purchased fare in advance to a walkup FULL Y fare on nthe day of departure so that the carrier can conclude that (almost) no refund is due.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Sep 28, 2017 at 7:03 pm
Old Sep 28, 2017, 7:07 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
...<snip>
Is it possible that there was a subsequent change? Perhaps from a 77W to a 772? Even switching tail numbers to the same type of equipment has been known to cause the loss of all seat assignments.
Originally Posted by LBJ
While not an equipment type swap, there was an aircraft swap last night --

Sep 28 1:08 AM Gate Adjustment Tail Number Changed From N728AN To N717AN
Old Sep 28, 2017, 7:40 pm

Programs: AA EP
99% sure it is an air Marshall.

Why don't u ask for a re route through another city?

After the swap to the plane without F, we BOTH were moved to the second flight with F. We both got confirmed and ticketed. There has been no swap since, since I'm obviously still in F and yet my husband isn't even though we were and are on the same darn flight! There is only ONE type of aircraft that has international F in the entire AA inventory--the 77W. We both were moved after the swap back to the 77W in F at the different/later time. We both still are on the 77W at that same different/later time. The fact that we had different locators is the only reason that I managed to stay in F and my husband got downgraded to J.

The reason my husband was downgraded has nothing to do with an aircraft swap. That is a patent lie. It has no valid justification--other than someone at AA chose to downgrade him as a mistake in order to placate someone else, despite his being already confirmed and ticketed.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 7:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Antipode
That the seat assignments changed indicates to me that there was likely some other change that caused seats to be reassigned. Perhaps there was an additional schedule change or equipment change, and maybe one that even reverted back to the original rebooked schedule. In addition to some of the ideas of what happened suggested above, it's also possible that somehow during that process only one seat got assigned and the other one remained unassigned. Then, when AA oversold F, it left the husband being the odd one out with no seat assignment and the cabin full.

That said, I agree that at this point it doesn't really matter what happened, and it's a matter of how you're going to deal with it. Trying to get rebooked on another flight in F is an option, but getting AA to fork over for BA F seems like a hard sell (can't hurt to ask though).

Would I be upset in the same situation? You bet! But that doesn't mean AA violated its Contract of Carriage as OP keeps claiming over and over. I suggest taking a look at it, particularly sections on oversales and denied boarding, before going nuclear and wasting time and money on fruitless for legal action. There's some pretty good advice here about what to ask for, what is reasonable to expect, and what AA is actually obligated to provide. I would listen to it instead and make the best of it instead of railing on about how AA is out to get you.
Rerouting onto BA should not be difficult. I'm pretty sure that the route is covered by the JV.

In addition, staying on AA, there are easy reroutes in F via JFK (premium lie flat) and DFW, not to mention ORD.

All comes down to what OP wants to do. Suffer in J or rearrange the itinerary.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 8:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I don't think OP wants to do anything other than vent and then sue AA for damages after travel.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 9:09 pm

... As far as I can tell, this is a blatant violation of the Contract of Carriage, but AA doesn't want to admit its error. It changed my husband's ticket from F to J AFTER the swap. That is illegal.
As others have pointed out it is not 'illegal'.

...The reason my husband was downgraded has nothing to do with an aircraft swap. That is a patent lie. It has no valid justification--other than someone at AA chose to downgrade him as a mistake in order to placate someone else, despite his being already confirmed and ticketed.
As others have told you, it could easily and most likely be an Air Marshall.

Originally Posted by CloudCoder
I suspect they had to give the seat to a FAM (Federal Air Marshall). When that happens, they are not _allowed_ to tell you why. If you ask them why, they _must_ tell you a lie...
Originally Posted by JDiver
...But... if your husband was displaced by a Federal Air Marshal they must lie to you...
There is NO regulation or rule anywhere that says the airline must lie to you. I think what you both mean to say is they cannot tell you why. The airline is under no obligation to tell you who took your seat... ever.

Originally Posted by muishkin
I don't think OP wants to do anything other than vent and then sue AA for damages after travel.
^^^
Old Sep 28, 2017, 11:46 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by AAExecPlatFlier

Why don't u ask for a re route through another city?
I’d say the odds are even better... Generally it’s pretty easy to spot a FAM on the plane if you know where to look (e.g. what seat was involuntarily vacated), though I suspect it’s too late now.

NB: FAMs are Marshals, not Marshalls.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 3:50 am
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Although there is some excellent advice in here, I am somewhat shocked by how much awful advice (on both "sides") has been posted in the last 24 hours. I realize that not everyone knows everything (certainly including me), but the number of "definitive" statements, which are total crap, seem to exceed the usual even on FT.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 4:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by AAExecPlatFlier
I think that this is FT lore that has been passed down through the generations and perpetuated by this thread. I've never seen any evidence that this occurs with the frequency claimed here. Moreover, how would that explain why both seats were changed (one downgraded, one moved to a different seat)?
Old Sep 29, 2017, 6:17 am

Originally Posted by Blumie
I think that this is FT lore that has been passed down through the generations and perpetuated by this thread. I've never seen any evidence that this occurs with the frequency claimed here. Moreover, how would that explain why both seats were changed (one downgraded, one moved to a different seat)?
I believe OP seat was not changed. OP selected their seat, but, OP did not select a seat for their husband. (I think, but not sure.)

Even if not true, the FAM theory still works. FAM wanted OP seat. OP seat moved. Because there is a FAM, one less seat. OP husband did not assign a seat. Therefore in the now oversold cabin, OP husband is odd man out. Also, the easiest way to not have to explain a FAM took a seat.

Having said that, it could easily be that they oversold the cabin betting on a no-show. Again, OP husband did not have a seat, so they get bumped. Maybe not the correct procedure, but the easiest way out for an airline. (Only one person upset.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.