Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

GUIDE to get Detailed Fare Rules, receipt, taxes & fees, for ticket (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 28, 2015, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Do you need to read the detailed fare rules associated with your trip?

When you are booking:

As you near completion of your booking, near where it says “complete reservation “, you will be offered a link to review the Detailed Fare Rules.

These are worth looking over, if not actually printing or copying them for future reference (as this is often the only opportunity you’ll be able to do this).

Note that different segments may be coveted by different rules. Normally the most restrictive rules will actually apply to the entire ticket.
Do you need a receipt for reimbursement, proof of purchase? Do you need the total fees and taxes vs air fare on your ticket?

Securing a receipt:

1) If the itinerary is still active, go to aa.com, bring up the booking and click on "Print Receipt"; you should be able to print a receipt with ticket number. Or,

2) Using your e-ticket / ticket number, (begins with "001" on AA stock) you can find the receipt on the AA refunds page - click on "Request a Receipt" tab instead of "Request a Refund".

Determining fees and taxes, or detailed fare rules:

1) Request a refund, but prior to actually requesting the refund (use the Cancel button).

2) You can determine the fees and taxes paid, or see the detailed fare rules associated with that itinerary (for constructed tickets, the most restrictive fare rules apply to all segments).

Go to: https://prefunds.aa.com/refunds/

You can also check on the status of a requested refund using this page.

Note: with some tickets, Request a refund might only yield

Due to the status of your itinerary we are unable to complete your refund request. Your itinerary needs to be cancelled prior to requesting a refund. Please click here to cancel your reservation and return here to submit your request. You may also contact AA Reservations at 1-800-433-7300 or your Travel Agency to cancel.
As an alternative, once you secure your fare basis using above, you can use ExpertFlyer to search for and find detailed fare rules. See posts 121-124.

Receipt for inflight purchases:

Go here to print in flight purchase receipts
The German AA site uses Amadeus rather than Sabre. If purchasing via AA Germany, you can see the detailed fare rules presented in an easy to read format as you’re purchasing. Link.

Saudia site Manage My Booking: though some claim to have used it, it has not worked (Aug 2015) for this member.
(With thanks to QueenOfCoach for pointing out the new link and website tab)
Print Wikipost

GUIDE to get Detailed Fare Rules, receipt, taxes & fees, for ticket (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2018, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by kahdgar
Well, if memory serves, that information was available once upon a time (and clearly IS available per the shortcuts upthread), so I doubt it is a matter of investing much time or $$$. It seems like a matter of transparency, even if it's not critical after-the-fact.
Not really... it’s one thing to display what the live fare rules are at the time of booking. Entirely another to pull up a snapshot of what they were at some historical date when you were ticketed. Factor in any number of reasons why your ticket might have been reissued along the way (such as schedule changes) and it’s nowhere near as trivial.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 4:42 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
All kahdgar was asking for was fare rules at the time of booking. AA supplying the fare rules that you paid for and are readily available immediately prior to booking isn't a tall order to ask for. Neither should the fare rules that your current ticket abides by at the moment of user generation - since those are the very rules that the ticket is following. But I agree, a slider going through every instance and change throughout ticket history is impractical.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by javabytes

Not really... it’s one thing to display what the live fare rules are at the time of booking. Entirely another to pull up a snapshot of what they were at some historical date when you were ticketed. Factor in any number of reasons why your ticket might have been reissued along the way (such as schedule changes) and it’s nowhere near as trivial.
yet seemingly everyone else can produce it. It isnt that hard - AA just doesn't want to do it.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 11:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by Antarius
yet seemingly everyone else can produce it. It isnt that hard - AA just doesn't want to do it.
Who is “everyone else”? It sure isn’t AA’s US-based peers.

I agree, they don’t want to do it. In general, airlines don’t want to spend time and money doing things for a minute set of power users. The dollars spent delivering features will always go elsewhere.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 6:41 am

Originally Posted by javabytes
I agree, they don’t want to do it. In general, airlines don’t want to spend time and money doing things for a minute set of power users. The dollars spent delivering features will always go elsewhere.
I really don't believe that's the issue. They have decided its not in their economic interests for customers to have easy access to that information after purchase (which is the time they are compelled to provide it).
Old Aug 14, 2018, 12:34 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by millionmiler
I really don't believe that's the issue. They have decided its not in their economic interests for customers to have easy access to that information after purchase (which is the time they are compelled to provide it).
The less transparent you can get away with being, the more shifty things you can pull behind the scenes. Their online support (email) is also unable to supply this information when asked.
Old Oct 6, 2018, 2:15 pm

Hello, can anyone please advise on how to interpret this bit:

"VOLUNTARY CHANGES - ENTER RD*31 OR RD'LINE NUM'*31 FOR VOLUNTARY CHGS."

This is a fare marketed as Premium Economy (Flexible).

Can I make it whatever I want?
Old Nov 27, 2018, 4:36 am

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
Where to find the detailed fare rules when booking?

Other airlines provide a link, during bookings to see the detailed fare rules for the reservation being made. Things like min,max stay, change fees, etc. can’t seem to locate the hyperlinks for these booking on aa.com. Wasn’t it there in the past?
Old Nov 27, 2018, 5:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by SFO_FT
Other airlines provide a link, during bookings to see the detailed fare rules for the reservation being made. Things like min,max stay, change fees, etc. can’t seem to locate the hyperlinks for these booking on aa.com. Wasn’t it there in the past?
When you're booking a ticket at aa.com, at the bottom of the very last page where you would click "complete reservation" you'll see a link just above that for "detailed fare rules"...
JDiver likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 11:18 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Fare Rules Not Available After Putting a Flight on Hold

Just wanted to post another brief rant. I put flights on hold, and when I go to purchase the flights, there's no fare basis and fare rules listed, I get the error in the attached image. Of course I know my flight is non-refundable and has a $200 change fee because I'm super familiar with American, but many do not. They already do a really poor job making the fare rules available, by hiding the link in small font in an obscure place and not showing this info after flights are purchased or on the receipt. I feel like this should be illegal. Is anyone else really bothered by this?

This was discussed in the now closed legacy forum and it's unbelievable that this hasn't been fixed over the years:
Hidden Fare Rules

JDiver likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 12:14 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by donotblink
Just wanted to post another brief rant. I put flights on hold, and when I go to purchase the flights, there's no fare basis and fare rules listed, I get the error in the attached image. Of course I know my flight is non-refundable and has a $200 change fee because I'm super familiar with American, but many do not. They already do a really poor job making the fare rules available, by hiding the link in small font in an obscure place and not showing this info after flights are purchased or on the receipt. I feel like this should be illegal. Is anyone else really bothered by this?

This was discussed in the now closed legacy forum and it's unbelievable that this hasn't been fixed over the years:
Hidden Fare Rules

In my opinion, you should be able to review detailed fare rules at any time, and it should be easy to do that. (They’re not listening to me.)
Old Jun 19, 2019, 2:06 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by JDiver
In my opinion, you should be able to review detailed fare rules at any time, and it should be easy to do that. (They’re not listening to me.)
Do you think this is worth complaining to CS and/or a DOT complaint? Would a bunch of people from FT want to do this en mass? In fairness, this isn't my personal biggest priority...I pay for ExpertFlyer (though I don't think I should have to, AA should provide me all that info for free), but it just really pissed me off today because I needed the info for my records and I also ended up having a hard time finding it in ExpertFlyer.

Quick Question, if someone had a Sabre Travel Agent Terminal that wasn't associated with AA, would they be able to pull up my PNR and see the fare basis code and details? Or is it restricted to AA only Sabre profiles?

After 24 hours, you can always get the fare basis from prefunds, but then you would need Expert Flyer to get the details.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 5:14 pm

Programs: BA GGL; AA LT Gold; AS 100K; DL MM GM; Hyatt G*list, Hilton Diamond; SQ silver
Originally Posted by donotblink
Do you think this is worth complaining to CS and/or a DOT complaint? Would a bunch of people from FT want to do this en mass? In fairness, this isn't my personal biggest priority...I pay for ExpertFlyer (though I don't think I should have to, AA should provide me all that info for free), but it just really pissed me off today because I needed the info for my records and I also ended up having a hard time finding it in ExpertFlyer.
I am willing to take part into a DOT complaint (or other agency). All the airlines make finding actual full fare rules very difficult. It shouldn't be. The airlines keep insisting that whenever you buy an airline ticket, you enter into a contract with them. But they want you not to read the contract! It should not be allowed.
donotblink likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2019, 10:07 am

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Ambassador, B6 Mosaic, SBUX Gold, Best Buy Elite
Fare Rules after purchase

Is there anyway on aa.com to get the fare rules for a purchased ticket?
Old Nov 1, 2019, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by ellinj
Is there anyway on aa.com to get the fare rules for a purchased ticket?
Nope, you have to call AA...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.