Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AA MagsForMiles / Magazines for Miles (ended March? 2020)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 11, 2013, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
MagsForMiles was a program that allowed you to subscribe to magazines using AAdvantage miles. This program no longer works with American Airlines as of early 2020.

AA has a Newspaper Rewards program, allowing miles to be used for newspaper subscriptions. See the relevant thread here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...ewspapers.html

Note:
"Selections offered for miles plus cash come with automatic renewal features." Your subscription will be automatically renewed at non-discounted prices with the credit card of record without any further contact with the subscriber; the subscription service is difficult to contact for cancellation. (A one time pad virtual credit card number is possibly the easiest way to avoid automatic renewal.)

"About Us
Magazines for Miles, commonly referred to as MagsforMiles, is a program run by CAP Systems, a division of Synapse Group, Inc. Magazines for Miles invites frequent flyer members to redeem their unused, orphan, or expiring miles for popular magazines. CAP Systems partners with airlines and publishers to offer this valuable redemption option. Members may select magazines from categories including entertainment, business, sports, travel and more."

"Synapse Group, Inc. is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Time Inc. "

www.magsformiles.com

Magsformiles is not an affiliate of AA.
[/FONT]
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: AA MagsForMiles / Magazines for Miles (ended March? 2020)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2019, 2:39 pm

Programs: AA, WN
I called MagsforMiles again and they said the order didn't go through because of a problem with the payment card and that I should contact AA. I then called AAdvantage Customer Service and was told my miles would be refunded. Hardly any hold time and was surprised how fast the resolution was compared to email.

I now notice that the WSJ is available without the need to input a credit card. Am I asking for more problems and hassle if I redeem my miles again for the WSJ?
Old Mar 3, 2019, 4:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG PLAT, HYATT PLAT, HH GOLD, AA GOLD, MR GOLD
Originally Posted by Vitaforce
I called MagsforMiles again and they said the order didn't go through because of a problem with the payment card and that I should contact AA. I then called AAdvantage Customer Service and was told my miles would be refunded. Hardly any hold time and was surprised how fast the resolution was compared to email.

I now notice that the WSJ is available without the need to input a credit card. Am I asking for more problems and hassle if I redeem my miles again for the WSJ?
How is it available WITHOUT a credit card? When I select WSJ and redeem it wants a Credit Card AND TURNS RED and I cannot get past that page....ideas?
Old Mar 3, 2019, 7:04 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Vitaforce
Do you know why it takes 10 business days for a response to an email sent to AAdvantage? Do they even usually reply?
Because their customer service is often AAwful, with no response or with boilerplate unrelated to your issue.
Old Jun 10, 2019, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Has anyone been double-charged (in miles) for this?

Recently placed an order to use a few lingering UA miles. Got a Travel+Leisure/Food & Wine combination for 800 miles (confirmed via email as well as looking again on the magsformiles site. Clearly shows 800 total miles for the combo, not 800 each.

Looking at my UA account today, it was debited on the day I placed the order for 1600 total miles (400+400+800). I haven't received my first issues yet, but it's only been a month so not too worried about that.

While these miles would have been going unused anyway - I don't really like the idea of just dumping 800 miles into the wind. Should I be calling/emailing UA or MagsForMiles about this?

(Also, I'm aware this is the AA forum but there didn't seem to be an active magsformiles dicsussion over in UA that I could find. )
Old Sep 2, 2019, 10:37 am

A couple months ago, I placed a Mags for Miles order against my husband's AA account to keep it from expiring. The miles were drawn immediately and his expiration date extended. Still no magazine, but I wasn't really wanting it anyway. I did not have to give a credit card and declined an option for any upsell.

A few days ago, I placed a Mags for Miles order against my own AA account to keep it from expiring. I received the Mags for Miles email confirmation, but the miles have still not been withdrawn from my AA account and my account is still showing that it expires in a few days. How long is reasonable to wait for the order to be processed? Again, I was not required to give a credit card.

I'm wondering if I need to do something else to keep my account from expiring like buying miles.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 8:16 am

Has anyone ordered Barron's from Magsformiles, and did you receive access to the digital subscription? I asked magsformiles, but they basically couldn't answer. Thanks.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 11:04 am

AA Miles for Magazines Subscriptions Ended?

I noticed today on the Mags for Miles website that American Airlines is no longer listed as a participating airline. Do you think this is temporary or permanent? It seems odd that all the other major airlines allow miles redemptions for magazines, but not AA.
Old Mar 2, 2020, 12:14 pm

I noticed on the Mags for Miles website that American Airlines is no longer on the participating airline list for Mags for Miles. Is this temporary or permanent?
Old Mar 2, 2020, 1:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
I , am just wondering, if mags for miles was ever a great thing.
maybe if you had some miles expiring etc? but today, I see so many magazines, basically giving themselves away for almost free
CMTinPHL likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by fotographer
I , am just wondering, if mags for miles was ever a great thing.
maybe if you had some miles expiring etc? but today, I see so many magazines, basically giving themselves away for almost free

Some of the magazines offered were less expensive to acquire via mileage redemption compared to the publisher's subscription price. If anyone at AA is reading this, please bring back magazines as a mileage redemption option.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 10:01 am

Programs: Former Dividend Miles Chairman's, Marriott Rewards
Mile redemption for the Wall Street Journal was a great deal when that offer was around.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
It appears that AA is now offering miles for newspapers, but not miles for magazines.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 11:15 am

The magsformiles.com page

The current AA publications promo is, as guv1976 mentioned, is newspaper subscriptions for miles. See https://www.newspaperrewards.com/ame...stomization=AA
Old Mar 3, 2020, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by TPA us ff
Mile redemption for the Wall Street Journal was a great deal when that offer was around.
And the Journal is still available under the Miles for Newspapers option. (Not sure if the redemption rate has changed.)
JDiver likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2020, 11:37 am

A new thread has been started to discuss Newspaper Rewards: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...ewspapers.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.