FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   ARCHIVE: AA MagsForMiles / Magazines for Miles (ended March? 2020) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1458625-archive-aa-magsformiles-magazines-miles-ended-march-2020-a.html)

Vitaforce Jun 19, 2017 4:31 am

Originally Posted by arollins (Post 28450040)
This is not operated by AA at all, you should be asking this to the company giving the offer. Regarding the magazine subscription, I myself have used them in the past with no problems. However, if it ask for a credit card #, I back out. Miles are debited immediately and subscription typically start soon, within a couple of weeks or so.

My miles have not debited after 5 days and the receipt for the order transaction indicates I should be receiving the first issue is 6-12 weeks. That's a long time.

arollins Jun 19, 2017 5:22 am

Originally Posted by Vitaforce (Post 28460022)
My miles have not debited after 5 days and the receipt for the order transaction indicates I should be receiving the first issue is 6-12 weeks. That's a long time.

What did MagsforMiles said when you called them?

Vitaforce Jul 27, 2017 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by arollins (Post 28460109)
What did MagsforMiles said when you called them?

After almost six weeks, the miles for my order have not been debited, nor has a magazine been received. Another letter from MagsforMiles came in the mail entitled "second notice" with another link to redeem miles for magazine subscriptions. I placed another order today and received an email confirmation with my zip code being shown as 0000, (despite entering it properly on the checkout page) same as what happened in June.

What I noticed in the checkout area of the website to redeem miles is that it did not ask for my AAdvantage account number. It only asked for my name, mailing address, email address and reference ID noted in the letter received in the mail. Perhaps because it didn't ask for my AAdvantage account number, it wasn't able to debit my account, so the order from June never was processed/completed and perhaps the order from today won't be either.

I want to note that the link given in the letter from MagsforMiles does not require you to login to AA's website.

When one redeems AA miles for magazines by logging into AA's website, it also goes to Magsformiles however, in the checkout area it asks you to enter your AAdvantage account number. I'm assuming redeeming miles this way ensures that your miles are debited and your order gets completed.

The redemption levels when redeeming for magazines via AA's website are higher on some magazines vs redeeming via the link in the letter I received that has an offer expiration date, hence the whole reason for using the link in the letter in the first place.

Has anyone else experienced what I have explained?

After what I have explained, I don't get a good feeling about this company and don't wish to call or email them, because they don't seem professional. There is no way that I would give out my AA Account number to their customer service reps via phone or email as well. In the future, I will ignore letters from this company and just redeem miles by logging into AA's website, where I have more confidence that my miles will be debited and orders processed with correct information.

card1953 Jul 27, 2017 2:51 pm

Used the service successfully

I used magsformiles to get a subscription using orphaned United miles. When the subscription did not start after 1-2 months I did call them and received a very professional response. The subscription successfully started shortly thereafter and I probably did not need to call.
I had no problems with this company thus far.

Vitaforce Aug 1, 2017 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by Vitaforce (Post 28615934)
After almost six weeks, the miles for my order have not been debited, nor has a magazine been received. Another letter from MagsforMiles came in the mail entitled "second notice" with another link to redeem miles for magazine subscriptions. I placed another order today and received an email confirmation with my zip code being shown as 0000, (despite entering it properly on the checkout page) same as what happened in June.

What I noticed in the checkout area of the website to redeem miles is that it did not ask for my AAdvantage account number. It only asked for my name, mailing address, email address and reference ID noted in the letter received in the mail. Perhaps because it didn't ask for my AAdvantage account number, it wasn't able to debit my account, so the order from June never was processed/completed and perhaps the order from today won't be either.

I want to note that the link given in the letter from MagsforMiles does not require you to login to AA's website.

When one redeems AA miles for magazines by logging into AA's website, it also goes to Magsformiles however, in the checkout area it asks you to enter your AAdvantage account number. I'm assuming redeeming miles this way ensures that your miles are debited and your order gets completed.

The redemption levels when redeeming for magazines via AA's website are higher on some magazines vs redeeming via the link in the letter I received that has an offer expiration date, hence the whole reason for using the link in the letter in the first place.

Has anyone else experienced what I have explained?

After what I have explained, I don't get a good feeling about this company and don't wish to call or email them, because they don't seem professional. There is no way that I would give out my AA Account number to their customer service reps via phone or email as well. In the future, I will ignore letters from this company and just redeem miles by logging into AA's website, where I have more confidence that my miles will be debited and orders processed with correct information.

I'd like to report that my AA miles were deducted after the redemption last week. Don't know why it worked this time and not in June, but at least it's positive news.

travelmonster Aug 4, 2017 6:28 am

Mags for Miles - not ending?!

Hello all,

The summer of 2015 I've subscribed to Mags for Miles utilizing my miles for a 12-month magazine subscription. To this date I'm still receiving these magazines and not being charged for them! How could this be? I never gave them my credit card information or anything so they're definitely not charging me. I just don't know how they get away with it? I get a new magazine ever two weeks! For over two years now.

Anyone have any any information on why?

Thanks! :)

arollins Aug 4, 2017 7:53 am

As long as nothing is being charged, and you are happy with the outcome, best not to draw attention to this. I'm not aware if anyone has commented on a similar problem. Have you checked the account balance from where you originally made this magazine redemption, perhaps you are being debited through mile redemptions and you are not aware. Various users have complained about Mags for Miles charging their credit card without their knowledge and how difficult it was for them to stop this. I manage the accounts of my immediate family and did a magazine redemption for one household member who is an infrequent traveler. Needless to say we received the magazine, but the miles where never debited from his account. YMMV.

travelmonster Aug 4, 2017 8:02 am

I'm honestly not sure. I'm not a frequent flier. I just took a round trip flight from Philadelphia to London and they asked me if I wanted to use my miles for magazines. I said sure and chose the magazines I wanted. I didn't have many miles to begin with so I'm not sure how they could still be debiting them from my account?

Then about a year ago they send me another mag for miles letter saying that I can get another subscription. So now I'm getting 3 different magazines having no idea where they're coming from and how they're paying for it? Like you said, I'm not entirely complaining since they're send it to me for free, but I don't even read the magazines and if they wind up sending a bill to my house I'd be pissed! I mean I could always fight that saying I'm not receiving them or want them - I suppose...

arollins Aug 4, 2017 8:22 am

Just an FYI, you might not be a frequent traveler, but the miles earned on your travel can also be used for other activity that might be more advantageous to you, such as hotel nights, car rental, travel, etc. Just because you get a card in the mail form Mags for Miles does not mean that you need to act on it. Miles do expire after 18 months of inactivity, so there is no rush to do this quickly, besides there are numerous way to keep your miles active with minimum cost/effort from your part. I'm not saying that mags for miles is bad, just that it would not be my preferred redemption. If I where you, I would double check my AA frequent flyer account just to verify all the particulars with it, and confirm the miles expiration, because if nothing has been charged against it & not being a frequent traveler, your expiration date might be closer than what you think.

nkedel Aug 4, 2017 8:06 pm

Originally Posted by arollins (Post 28647512)
If I where you, I would double check my AA frequent flyer account just to verify all the particulars with it, and confirm the miles expiration, because if nothing has been charged against it & not being a frequent traveler, your expiration date might be closer than what you think.

...among other things, there are a ton of small mile-earning opportunities (e.g. for purchases, or for tangential travel services like Supershuttle), and with a little effort, it's always better to earn a trivial number of miles to keep the account active than to burn off a few on something you don't need.

I miss the "do surveys, get a tiny number of miles" thing. It was a good time-waster.

Vitaforce Sep 1, 2017 12:22 am

In July, I received a letter in the mail from MagsforMiles with a reference ID and a link to a website to redeem my AA miles. I successfully redeemed some miles for two magazines and one has already arrived. I recently received another letter from MagsforMiles with another offer to redeem AA miles for magazine subscription, this time with a difference reference ID number and website link. In the fine print, it states "Multiple orders of the same title may not be approved." If were to redeem some AA miles for one of the same titles that I redeemed miles for in July, will the magazine company most likely renew/extend my subscription by one year, send me two copies of the magazine each month, or deny the transaction?

Vitaforce Mar 1, 2019 1:50 am

MagsforMiles and AA Customer Service

I redeemed 3200 miles for 304 issues of the WSJ about a month ago. Since I hadn't received any issues yet, I called MagsforMiles for assistance. At first they claimed, they had no record of my order. Then when I repeatedly told them my miles had already been deducted they somehow found my order and claimed there was an issue with my payment method. This offer required input of a credit card number, even though it stated 3200 miles plus $0 and the credit card would only be charged after the 304 issue period ended, unless cancelled. Don't know why there would be an issue with the payment method especially when $0 was being charged. They said someone in another department would contact me, but I am not holding my breath. If they do call back and ask for my credit card number, I am not giving it out over the phone to this company that I am not impressed with. I then sent an email to the Advantage Customer Service explaining the less then stellar customer service from MagsforMiles and how they don't make AA look good and requesting to begin receiving the WSJ or have my miles returned. I received an auto-reply indicating that it takes 10 business days to respond to an email!!!!

Are you serious? 10 business days to respond to a customer email? Why is AA so short staffed in the customer service department?

Since I think I just wasted 3200 miles, would an email or snail mail letter to VP of Customer Service Sean Bentel at AA be beneficial in achieving either a return of 3200 miles or receiving the WSJ?

apeortdz Mar 1, 2019 8:11 am

I had a similar issue about three months ago. It took about 60 days to get my first issue (of People magazine). But it did eventually work out okay. Hang in there!

JDiver Mar 1, 2019 8:43 am

MagsforMiles of course is not operated by American Airlines and is a contract / fulfillment house. And there have been complaints about them previously, iirc, both as to service and inflated rates charged after your miles paid subscription goes to automatic credit card payment. AA would take some time to check with the vendor, assuming they would and they’re not just kicking the can down the road while you sort it out with MagsforMiles.

I doubt your trying to involve AA is going to result in any significant action, frankly. Usually, their first reply is irrelevant boilerplate, in any case.

Good luck.

Vitaforce Mar 1, 2019 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver (Post 30835397)
MagsforMiles of course is not operated by American Airlines and is a contract / fulfillment house. And there have been complaints about them previously, iirc, both as to service and inflated rates charged after your miles paid subscription goes to automatic credit card payment. AA would take some time to check with the vendor, assuming they would and they’re not just kicking the can down the road while you sort it out with MagsforMiles.

I doubt your trying to involve AA is going to result in any significant action, frankly. Usually, their first reply is irrelevant boilerplate, in any case.

Good luck.

Do you know why it takes 10 business days for a response to an email sent to AAdvantage? Do they even usually reply?