Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

GUIDE: AA Flagship Check-In at JFK, LAX, LHR, MIA, ORD (rev)

GUIDE: AA Flagship Check-In at JFK, LAX, LHR, MIA, ORD (rev)

Hide Wikipost
Old Nov 28, 19, 3:09 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link
GUIDE to Flagship® First Check-In - Who, When, Where

At JFK New York, LAX Los Angeles, LHR London Heathrow, MIA Miami, ORD Chicago

Link to Flagship® First Check-In on aa.com.

(DFW Dallas-Ft. Worth is said to be coming, but is not open at this time.)

What is Flagship Check-in?

"Let our Flagship® Check-In service help you start your journey on the right foot. This exclusive service offers customers a private check-in experience, including:
  • [Customer service representatives who can personally assist with your individual travel requirements - from check-in and baggage check to seat or itinerary changes as well as dedicated self-service kiosks

• An expedited security line, offering you premium access through security checkpoints" (does not include TSA PreCheck unless you’re qualified)

Access / Who can use

Qualifying First class* (long haul international and transcontinental on three class First Class - see below)

ConciergeKeySM (any AA flight, any class of service)

Qualifying AAdvantage® Executive Platinum* (on qualifying flights, regardless of class of service cabin - American Airlines AAdvantage Executive Platinum customers traveling solely on North American itineraries do not qualify for Flagship® First Check-In access. North America is defined as the United States (including Hawaii and Alaska), Canada, Mexico (except MEX), Bermuda, the Bahamas and the Caribbean.)

oneworld® EmeraldSM other than AAdvantage Executive Platinum (any AA flight, any class of service)

Five Star ServiceSM customers (regardless of destination or class of service - but not available for Coach)

* Qualifying international flights: Flights between the U.S. and:

Asia
Australia
Central America
Europe
Mexico City (MEX) (not other México airports)
New Zealand
South America

Qualifying transcontinental flights: 3-class non-stop flights between:

New York (JFK) and Los Angeles (LAX)
JFK and San Francisco (SFO)
LAX and Boston (BOS) – traveling on A321T aircraft only
LAX and Miami (MIA) – traveling on B777-300 aircraft only (through October 26, 2019)

Where You'll Find It - Airport, Location

Chicago O'Hare International Airport (ORD): Near the First Class Check-In at Checkpoint 8 on upper level of Terminal 3

London Heathrow Airport (LHR): Terminal 3, Zone D, shared space with British Airways. Look for signage. (as of 27 Nov 2019; access rules now the same as all other Flagship First Check-in facilities.)

Los Angeles International Airport (LAX): Curbside entrance, exclusive to Flagship Check-In customers, in Terminal 4, just east of American Priority.

Miami International Airport (MIA): Look for designated signage in Concourse D of the North Terminal

New York John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK): Departure level closest to the AirTrain access and look for a sign right outside the entrance[/indent]
These offer kiosk and personal services, and expedited TSA security access.

Wikipost may be edited or updated by members with 90 days and 90 posts; wiki may be printed using the icon (lower right corner).

For previous posts, please see: ARCHIVE: All About AA Flagship Check-In at JFK, LAX, MIA, ORD (master thread) — link

Print Wikipost

Old Jan 7, 18, 10:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Surely it's buried somewhere in the previous 50 pages of this thread, but allow me the question nevertheless: for a departure from MIA, does the Flagship check-in area lead to a dedicated security lane or a shortcut to security check (like in JFK)? Or is Flagship check-in just a set of dedicated counters in the middle of all others, and for security Flagship pax just join the "normal" (priority? TSAPre?) queue and stand in line behind other non-Flagship passengers?

Since I'll be arriving at the airport with no luggage to check and a boarding pass on my phone, is there any point in passing by the Flagship check-in area?

Thank you.

Last edited by San Gottardo; Jan 7, 18 at 10:56 am
Old Jan 7, 18, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by San Gottardo View Post
Surely it's buried somewhere in the previous 50 pages of this thread, but allow me the question nevertheless: for a departure from MIA, does the Flagship check-in area lead to a dedicated security lane or a shortcut to security check (like in JFK)? Or is Flagship check-in just a set of dedicated counters in the middle of all others, and for security Flagship pax just join the "normal" (priority? TSAPre?) queue and stand in line behind other non-Flagship passengers?

Since I'll be arriving at the airport with no luggage to check and a boarding pass on my phone, is there any point in passing by the Flagship check-in area?

Thank you.
No it is not a separate security. They walk you to the front of the Pre-check line (or priority line if you don't have PC.)
Old Jan 7, 18, 3:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinium
Originally Posted by San Gottardo View Post

Thank you.
You will shortcut the line at Miami, is advise to use the Flagship Check-in if the PreCheck line is long, otherwise go directly to PreCheck line at Checkpoint #2 .
Old Jan 7, 18, 6:45 pm
Original Poster

Thank you very much fedechat and Globa321! Very useful information, just what I was looking for. ^
Old Jan 7, 18, 10:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP
The wiki and aa.com state that EXPs can using Flagship check in on eligible international flights. I'm assuming I can use this when flying LAX-MIA-EZE even though my first flight is domestic, right?

I'm not sure if I'm reading too much into the verbiage saying "flights" instead of "itineraries".
Old Jan 8, 18, 7:14 am

Originally Posted by mcdullhk88 View Post
Anyone tried doing this at JFK to cut the PreCheck line, now that AA and CX are both in T8? Since CX F gets access to Flagship Dining maybe they might as well get access to Flagship Check-in?
Originally Posted by andersonCooper View Post
Have to be AA-operated. So no Flagship check-in for CX-operated flights. AA can't check in CX's system.
Originally Posted by Global321 View Post
I suppose you could try. I am not sure if AA can check you in without an AA flight. On connecting CX flights, such as in MIA, if you are connecting to CX first via AA flight, you can use Flagship check-in and they do print you CX BPs. But, I think the key is the first flight is AA. (I have never tried a direct check-in at NYC/LAX/etc.)
JFK T8 will have a First Class check in for CX pax. They need some lovin too.
Old Jan 8, 18, 8:42 am

Programs: Double OWE (AA EXP, QF Plat), FI Gold, UA 1K
Hi everyone, I think I know the answer to this question but I'd like to confirm - if I have access to Flagship Check-In as a Oneworld emerald, can I take a guest who is not on the same PNR but on an AA flight through with me?
Old Jan 8, 18, 8:28 pm
Original Poster

Yes you can. Just did exactly that at Flagship check-in In Miami today. And it wasn’t even really for me, as I already had my boarding pass, but the person I was travelling with needed to check in. Not a problem at all.
zpaul likes this.
Old Jan 9, 18, 2:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinium
Originally Posted by dciolli View Post
The wiki and aa.com state that EXPs can using Flagship check in on eligible international flights. I'm assuming I can use this when flying LAX-MIA-EZE even though my first flight is domestic, right?

I'm not sure if I'm reading too much into the verbiage saying "flights" instead of "itineraries".
You should be able to use it, they may ask you for the final destination or a printed itinerary/electronic BP to confirm you are eligible, at least in MIA it depends of the agent.
dciolli likes this.
Old Jan 11, 18, 6:42 am

Originally Posted by dciolli View Post

Yes, you can.
dciolli likes this.
Old Jan 11, 18, 9:25 am

Programs: AA EXP, 1865 Voyager, *G
I've been "turned away" (I probably could have pushed but not worth the hassle) at JFK before because I'm "not on the list" as EXP flying JFK/LAX/HKG -- so I'm not sure you end up on the "list" (what the checker at the Flagship Check-In area has as a printed list of the day's Flagship folk), even if you have qualified access if you originally check-in at the domestic leg...

So be prepared just in case!
Old Jan 11, 18, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by dp4m View Post
I've been "turned away" (I probably could have pushed but not worth the hassle) at JFK before because I'm "not on the list" as EXP flying JFK/LAX/HKG -- so I'm not sure you end up on the "list" (what the checker at the Flagship Check-In area has as a printed list of the day's Flagship folk), even if you have qualified access if you originally check-in at the domestic leg...

So be prepared just in case!
This is consistent with my experience in JFK, but nowhere else.

I have been denied access to Flagship Check-In at JFK exactly 50% of the times that I was eligible for it. At LAX, ORD, and MIA I have never had a problem, so it's specific to JFK. One of the times I was denied entry I was flying JFK-MIA-SCL in F, and I wasn't on the list, and the other three were for trying to access it via my Oneworld Emerald status with LATAM, but again I "wasn't on the list." I don't know why they can't get it right there when everywhere else functions without a hitch.
dp4m likes this.

Last edited by zpaul; Jan 11, 18 at 11:46 am
Old Jan 11, 18, 10:58 am
Suspended

Programs: DL GM, AAdvantage EXECPLAT, Hyatt Plat, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
I've always had issues with this at JFK......is it because those people are contract workers?
zpaul likes this.
Old Jan 11, 18, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by AANYC1981 View Post
I've always had issues with this at JFK......is it because those people are contract workers?
I was told that that is precisely the reason (they are CARs), but it's not an excuse.
AANYC1981 likes this.
Old Jan 11, 18, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by zpaul View Post
I was told that that is precisely the reason (they are CARs), but it's not an excuse.
Either way it’s ridiculous. I had not a whiff of pushback this morning at LAX FL check-in on a LAX-ORD-PEK itin (as EXP).
zpaul likes this.

Last edited by pmblinn; Jan 11, 18 at 4:04 pm Reason: clarified status

Search this Thread
Search Engine: