Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

GUIDE: AA Flagship Check-In at JFK, LAX, LHR, MIA, ORD

Old Jul 25, 2013, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Microwave
Please feel free to update with the latest information; previous Wiki content was out of date.
Print Wikipost

GUIDE: AA Flagship Check-In at JFK, LAX, LHR, MIA, ORD

Old Oct 11, 2021, 12:56 pm
  #181  
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Brooklyn, NYC
Programs: QR PC Platinum, TK M&S elite, UA silver, ITA Voltaire Executive (lol), Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Posts: 1,250
Just want to confirm, that as a OWE flying tatl J, I can technically use the flagship check in at JFK, but they probably wonít let me because of agentsí unfimilarity with the rules, correct?
fender5787 is offline  
Old Oct 11, 2021, 1:04 pm
  #182  
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Posts: 216
Originally Posted by fender5787
Just want to confirm, that as a OWE flying tatl J, I can technically use the flagship check in at JFK, but they probably wonít let me because of agentsí unfimilarity with the rules, correct?
It's been a mixed bag according to reports over the years. Flying tatl with emerald status certainly helps your cause and will probably increase likelihood that you are already on their "list" especially so long as your FF# is on your itinerary in advance. I recommend having the aa.com Flagship First Check-in site handy on your phone when you approach the entrance: https://www.aa.com/i18n/plan-travel/...t-check-in.jsp just so you have something to point to quickly. Good luck and let us know how it goes!
fender5787 likes this.
jamabam is offline  
Old Oct 11, 2021, 1:10 pm
  #183  
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: So Cal
Programs: AA Platinum
Posts: 2,862
Any suggestions for JfK FFCI this week going to Miami then onward same day to LaX in FF

is it just going to be hit or miss ? I canít find any rules to have ready on phone, nothing that speaks of being able to use it one flight away from the qualifying
happiest_at_40000 is offline  
Old Oct 11, 2021, 6:08 pm
  #184  
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: So Cal
Posts: 953
Originally Posted by happiest_at_40000
Any suggestions for JfK FFCI this week going to Miami then onward same day to LaX in FF

is it just going to be hit or miss ? I canít find any rules to have ready on phone, nothing that speaks of being able to use it one flight away from the qualifying
I'm not sure, but curious if you have flagship first dining with your ticket? If so, it would be interesting to report back on your impressions of both JFK and MIA. JFK's dining has internally received bad reviews since reopening, and MIA had a ton of corporate staff on hand on their reopening day in order to ensure it was not a repeat. I was at MIA for reopening day as well as a week later and had a great experience both times. The skirt steak was really good and the staff was on point. Only wish they still had the Krug as an option.
brodielayne is offline  
Old Oct 12, 2021, 8:31 am
  #185  
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Miami Beach FL, Philadelphia PA, and Oxfordshire UK
Programs: BA Gold, AA Executive Platinum, PriorityPass, Global Entry, Marriott Platinum
Posts: 737
I turned up at Flagship checkin at MIA last week, flying MIA to LHR in F on AA. I was turned away, and told I must be executive platinum to enter. I was like - ummmm I’m flying First to London, I don’t need to be. The bloke manning the entrance was having none of it. Eventually I had had enough and showed him my AA app showing I’m EP, and he let me in, and once in I told the check in lady I was unimpressed with the lack of knowledge of the rules, and she agreed and said she would remind him of the entry rules.

Just basic rules not being followed, and kind of annoying.

By the way Flagship first dining was awesome. When we arrived at the AC, we were escorted from checkin at the lounge desk downstairs, all the way up to the FF dining area by a lovely agent. And the food n drink and service really excellent. Wished I had arrived 30 mins earlier to enjoy it a bit more.
jamabam likes this.

Last edited by Jet Ranger; Oct 12, 2021 at 9:07 am
Jet Ranger is offline  
Old Oct 12, 2021, 8:49 am
  #186  
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: So Cal
Programs: AA Platinum
Posts: 2,862
Originally Posted by brodielayne
I'm not sure, but curious if you have flagship first dining with your ticket? If so, it would be interesting to report back on your impressions of both JFK and MIA. JFK's dining has internally received bad reviews since reopening, and MIA had a ton of corporate staff on hand on their reopening day in order to ensure it was not a repeat. I was at MIA for reopening day as well as a week later and had a great experience both times. The skirt steak was really good and the staff was on point. Only wish they still had the Krug as an option.
For sure will post back. Excited to try both. Hope I can do FFCI @ JFK. But really Iím not exactly sure if Iím technically supposed to but should be able to cause if Iím allowed at MIA but need to check @ JFK what do they expect l. It should be available. Just hope once @ FFD no issues being let in. I have an email from AAC saying I have access based on the same day itinerary.

my JFK exp 3 days ago began well but went a little downhill and service was slow as they were understaffed. This time will be there breakfast but then lunch in MIA
happiest_at_40000 is offline  
Old Oct 12, 2021, 8:50 am
  #187  
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: So Cal
Programs: AA Platinum
Posts: 2,862
Originally Posted by Jet Ranger
I turned up at Flagship checkin at MIA last week, flying MIA to LHR in F. I was turned away, and told I must be executive platinum to enter. I was like - ummmm Iím flying First to London, I donít need to be. The bloke manning the entrance was having none of it. Eventually I had had enough and showed him my AA app showing Iím EP, and he let me in, and once in I told the check in lady I was unimpressed with the lack of knowledge of the rules, and she agreed and said she would remind him of the entry rules.

Just basic rules not being followed, and kind of annoying.

By the way Flagship first dining was awesome. When we arrived at the AC, we were escorted from checkin at the lounge desk downstairs, all the way up to the FF dining area by a lovely agent. And the food n drink and service really excellent. Wished I had arrived 30 mins earlier to enjoy it a bit more.
i thought you meant on BA. On AA ... was the guy thinking. Iím going to be ready to call a supervisor in a couple weeks when Iíll be there and needing FFCI. Miami over Covid was the worst for knowing anything about lounge access coming off a Transcon.
GlobalMatt likes this.

Last edited by happiest_at_40000; Oct 12, 2021 at 9:50 am
happiest_at_40000 is offline  
Old Oct 12, 2021, 9:08 am
  #188  
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Miami Beach FL, Philadelphia PA, and Oxfordshire UK
Programs: BA Gold, AA Executive Platinum, PriorityPass, Global Entry, Marriott Platinum
Posts: 737
Originally Posted by happiest_at_40000
i thought you meant on BA. On AA ... was the guy thinking. Iím going to be ready to call a supervisor in a couple weeks when Iíll be there and needing FFCI. Miami over Covid was the worst for knowing anything about lounge access coking off a Transcon.
Edited to include that I was indeed on AA. I know my rules, and know I canít check in there flying on BA in F, sadly.
Jet Ranger is offline  
Old Oct 12, 2021, 9:17 am
  #189  
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: So Cal
Programs: AA Platinum
Posts: 2,862
Originally Posted by Jet Ranger
Edited to include that I was indeed on AA. I know my rules, and know I canít check in there flying on BA in F, sadly.
I donít get what he was thinking. Total incompetence ! What else is it for if itís not for an AA FF international flight.
happiest_at_40000 is offline  
Old Oct 12, 2021, 10:45 am
  #190  
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Posts: 216
Originally Posted by Jet Ranger
Edited to include that I was indeed on AA. I know my rules, and know I canít check in there flying on BA in F, sadly.
I'd also like to know why his "list" did not already include you based on actual ticketed passengers for the day. Totally unacceptable.
Global321 likes this.
jamabam is offline  
Old Oct 12, 2021, 8:35 pm
  #191  
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: So Cal
Programs: AA Platinum
Posts: 2,862
If I am coming in on AirTrain from
TWA will that leave me close to FFCI @ T8 ?

I may take an Uber though , walking from the plane is one thing when I was headed to the pool and for a work out but going to the airport for a flight last thing I want is to get sweaty.

The walk is long up an elevator from baggage level @ T8. Then up the escalator, wait time them down an escalator and then the actual walk to TWA. People w a lot of bags or someone who for any reason isnít one to wal much would find it a bit long Imo.

i may have missed the most direct way from T8. I went down to level 1 and then went back up an elevator.

At any rate if coming from AirTrain where do I find FFCI and If I take an Uber which door do I have them drop me at ?

be nice to just walk through the tube into jet blue and take the new airside shuttle but I donít believe we have a confirmation yet of being allowed airside @ T5 if flight is on T8.
happiest_at_40000 is offline  
Old Oct 17, 2021, 3:46 pm
  #192  
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Madison WI
Programs: AA Lifetime PLT - 2.9MM, Lifetime AC, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Hertz Precs Crcl
Posts: 2,237
Flagship Checkin at JFK

I know when I was EXP returing from Europe (in J, not F) I was allowed to use Flagship check-in after returning to ORD for continuing onward on a domestic flight. (Benefit was jumping to the front of the PreCheck queue.) Agents confirmed this was policy. However, now only PLT and will be returing to JFK from LHR in 4-class F and need to reclear heading onward. Technically, must I have an ONWARD segment in 4-class Intl F to use Flagship Checkin, or does the arrival count? (I understand I can use the FL and FFD on the return, but not so sure about checkin...)
Madison Guy is offline  
Old Oct 17, 2021, 10:11 pm
  #193  
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: WAS/TYO
Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Posts: 5,920
Originally Posted by Madison Guy
...will be returing to JFK from LHR in 4-class F and need to reclear heading onward. Technically, must I have an ONWARD segment in 4-class Intl F to use Flagship Checkin, or does the arrival count? (I understand I can use the FL and FFD on the return, but not so sure about checkin...)
Assuming it's a connection (and not stopover) in JFK, you should be fully entitled to use Flagship check-in. Whether your name will be on the list is a different question, but if you're stopped I would just politely remind the bouncer that you just arrived in Flagship/International F. Once you get to the actual check-in agent, you shouldn't encounter any resistance.

-FlyerBeek
FlyerBeek is offline  
Old Oct 18, 2021, 5:02 pm
  #194  
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Madison WI
Programs: AA Lifetime PLT - 2.9MM, Lifetime AC, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Hertz Precs Crcl
Posts: 2,237
Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
Assuming it's a connection (and not stopover) in JFK, you should be fully entitled to use Flagship check-in. Whether your name will be on the list is a different question, but if you're stopped I would just politely remind the bouncer that you just arrived in Flagship/International F. Once you get to the actual check-in agent, you shouldn't encounter any resistance.

-FlyerBeek
It is a connection - from about 1 - 4:30 PM. Many thanks!
Madison Guy is offline  
Old Oct 22, 2021, 9:41 am
  #195  
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Programs: AAdvantage
Posts: 41
Miami Flagship Check In

+1 on the Miami FF check-in. Fella at the front insisted I need to be EP or CK to enter although I was in F on MIA-LHR. Went back and forth a bit since I was wondering whether I had really confused myself with the rules. However, he then saw my name on the printed list for entry and I went through with no further issue.
AAmerican is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.