Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Seaborne / BB and AA codeshares, etc. in Caribbean END 1 MAR 2014 (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 25, 2013, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Seaborne / BB and AA codeshares Caribbean (ended 1 March 2014?)

Link to Seaborne page on aa.com.

AA codeshares on Seaborne Airlines / BB could be booked now (24 Jun 2013), with flights as of 27 June 2013. Miles are earned on AA codeshares, and AA miles were able to be used for redemptions "sometime" later in 2013. Codeshares operated between SJU and DOM, EIS, FTF, PTP, VIJ and VQS. STT and STX were not included.

Awards using Seaborne seem quite scarce, and are limited to:

Redeem miles with Seaborne

Regions

Earn (?) and redeem AAdvantage® miles for travel on Seaborne between San Juan, Puerto Rico (SJU) and:
  • Dominica (DOM)
  • Fort de France, Martinique (FDF)
  • Pointe a Pitre (PTP)
  • Tortola, British Virgin Islands (EIS)
  • St. Thomas, US Virgin Islands (STT)
  • St. Croix, US Virgin Islands (STX)
  • Anguilla, Anguilla (AXA)

Print Wikipost

Seaborne / BB and AA codeshares, etc. in Caribbean END 1 MAR 2014 (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2013, 2:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Too many to list. Since the early 90's.

I'm hearing from others in the airline industry that Seaborne Airlines, which recently was supposed to be taking the place of American Eagle in USVI and BVI, started removing all award class availability. Has anyone else heard this. Even AA reps are wondering what's going on. I really thought they were going to be a great partner for AA to replace the Eagle flights, but if they don't care about partner frequent flier business this will change many people's plans to even visit certain islands like St. Croix, Tortola and others. I hope this is not true and that any transition they are experiencing in beginning to partner with a big airline that they will realize you can't ignore the frequent fliers of your partner. I, like many others, plan my vacations and resort stays on where my miles take me.
Old Apr 12, 2013, 2:24 pm
Original Poster

Anyone else finding out that Seaborne Airlines, which is working with AA now in place of the American Eagle flights in USVI and BVI, wiped out their avail award seats for AA and partners? I've got BA and AA looking into this, but so far no answers. We were booked on an Eagle flight from Tortola, then when AA cancelled the Eagle flights and went with Seaborne we were booked by AA on an earlier flight with Seaborne. That was already a hinderance since it shortened our plans that day, but then this week we were bumped from that flight to an even earlier one even though AA was able to confirm there were award seats available on the afternoon flight. Then BA looked and saw the same thing and wondered why they bumped us. We have our e-tickets, but now we're hearing someone removed all award seats from any flights they can see on Seaborne. Hopefully, this is a transition glich and not Seaborne not wanting to give AA/One World partner award seats at all. That would be a blow to tourism in St. Croix, BVI and some others.

Any others out there know what's going on with the Seaborne Airlines/AA partnering? Is this a watered down arrangement?
Old Apr 12, 2013, 2:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1M
We were in a similar situation. Had a return award ticket in J from EIS - SJU - DFW in late April. AA cancelled the EIS - SJU flight and had no replacement for a few days. I had to call them a few times to open up Award Availability on the EIS - SJU Seaborne flight, they finally did it but it took some time and repetitive calls.

I fly on Seaborne next Friday from SJU, hope it goes well.
Old Apr 13, 2013, 10:11 am
Original Poster

If you feel like it, please inquire with them when you fly if they are trying to avoid allowing AA and One World partners from booking award seats with them. Are they wanting all the financial benefits of having a big airline booking flights for them as part of code sharing yet being stingy in giving up a couple seats per flight for partner awards? They are going to do quite well with AA, but they need to be fully committed to the whole program. Some of us flying to the Caribbean will forget AA all together. Award seats make money too and bring in new customers who will then pay for other flights in future if they like the service.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 7:10 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG GLD, HH GLD, CC GLD, Hyatt PLT, IHG PLT Amb
Seaborne Airlines: New codeshare/award partner

Surprised this hasn't been posted yet:

http://aviationblog.dallasnews.com/2...greement.html/

Unfortunately STT and STX are kept out of it, just like with the Cape Air partnership
Old Jun 24, 2013, 7:16 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Don't both of these airlines have an incredibly horrid seat width/pitch when compared to domestic average Y? I seem to recall reading this a while back on FT, and it's a major concern for us tall people. It effectively rules out these destinations for us, unless we can find another airline flying mainline or RJ type service.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 9:51 am
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
Probably, but these are short hop flights on Saab340s. Were you expecting lie-flat beds?
Old Jun 25, 2013, 11:45 am

Programs: AA- EXP 3mm, Marriott Titanium(Lifetime), *wood Plat, Hertz Pres. Circle, *bucks Gold, Joan Ranger
Originally Posted by g_leyser
Probably, but these are short hop flights on Saab340s. Were you expecting lie-flat beds?
They'll have a spa with free pre-take off massage & post-flight spa to make up for that 30 min Saab flight.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 11:57 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
It's been under discussion hereabouts (advanced search, search titles only, return as threads, keyword seaborne) for a while.

The article refers to the announcement of the codeshare update: "The agreement allows American to offer connecting flights from San Juan’s Luis Muńoz Marín International Airport on Seaborne to: Dominica; Fort-de-France, Martinique; Pointe-a-Pitre, Guadeloupe; Tortola, British Virgin Islands; Vieques, Puerto Rico; and Virgin Gorda, British Virgin Islands." and the ability to earn, and burn "later this year", AAdvantage miles.

The video shows a Fairchild SAAB 340, and the seats seem to be leather covered in a 1 x 2 configuration - perhaps not so uncomfortable for a short duration flight, or at least better than the old Eagle Fairchild Swearingen Metroliner, AKA "San Antonio Sewerpipe", fully equipped to seat fourth grades throughout the cabin.

Originally Posted by usviflyer
Surprised this hasn't been posted yet:

http://aviationblog.dallasnews.com/2...greement.html/

Unfortunately STT and STX are kept out of it, just like with the Cape Air partnership
Old Jun 25, 2013, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bchandler02
Don't both of these airlines have an incredibly horrid seat width/pitch when compared to domestic average Y? I seem to recall reading this a while back on FT, and it's a major concern for us tall people. It effectively rules out these destinations for us, unless we can find another airline flying mainline or RJ type service.
It's a 34 seat SAAB; seat pitch/legroom will be identical to the pitch/legroom on AA's old SAABs (formerly found at DFW, LAX and various NE hubs). Just book the exit row (front row) and you'll survive.
Old Jun 26, 2013, 7:04 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat 2.3MM
"San Antonio Sewerpipe" that's hillarious.........hadn't heard that one before.
Old Jul 12, 2013, 8:25 am

Programs: AA 1MM Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Does anyone know if awards with Seaborne work normally then? I am not able to find any available at all on the AA site when trying to book SJU-FDF.

"There are currently no awards available on AA.com for your requested Origin and Destination. Please modify your request or contact AAdvantage Reservations for award opportunities on all AAdvantage participating airlines."
Old Oct 4, 2013, 3:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Lifetime Marriot Plt, Avis 1st
after 30 min on phone with EXP desk, there are no award seats from now till the end of the current AA booking calendar for flights to or form SJU to EIS.

what a joke
Old Oct 11, 2013, 12:59 pm
Original Poster

Update:

Forgive me for taking so long to update my experience with Seaborne from this past July. We originally booked our award seats using BA points on AA. At that time AA was still using AA Eagle from San Juan to Beef Island (Tortola). Then, they made the deal with Seaborne and we were placed on that with similar departure time. All was fine until Seaborne booted us off the more desirable afternoon departure and put us on in the morning. This messed up our plans. AA, BA nor Seaborne would change it back to our preferred departure even though there was plenty of room many months in advance (they claimed the seats on the afternoon flight were a higher cat and not for our award, but their is only coach on that plane, it was just a better departure time). So we made adjustments with the resort and other plans.

When we departed by boat from the resort to Beef Island to check-in early for the flight back to San Juan, Seaborne couldn't find our names on any of their flights nor our booking reference!! We were very fortunate that my always prepared wife had her ipad and opened it up to prove to them that we were ticketed on that Seaborne flight (image on screen). But, they had already sold out the seats. So, we were stuck in limbo. The Seaborne agent finally booked us on the later flight. We called the resort to see if they could send the taxi van back to the airport to pick us up and return us to the dock. They said sure, but we lost our room (was being prepped for someone else). The taxi never showed so we ran with our luggage from the airport to the dock and just made it as the boat was leaving (yelled and they came back).

Seaborne and AA really messed things up on this one. In compensation, of which I had to ask for later, AA gave us two $100 vouchers for future travel. I would have preferred points since I never buy tickets, but at least they tried to compensate a little for the troubles.

I really hope Seaborne and AA can get their systems synced up properly.
Old Oct 11, 2013, 7:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1k, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, CC Gold
Originally Posted by Churnman
I really hope Seaborne and AA can get their systems synced up properly.
This has been the issue from day 1 and 99% of the issues have been on Seaborne's side from discussions with employees both here and in SJU. They are more than a month delayed in being able to issue boarding passes on one another's flights and AA is waiting anxiously.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.