Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Seaborne / BB and AA codeshares, etc. in Caribbean END 1 MAR 2014 (consolidated)

Seaborne / BB and AA codeshares, etc. in Caribbean END 1 MAR 2014 (consolidated)

Hide Wikipost
Old Dec 13, 15, 1:20 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link
Seaborne / BB and AA codeshares Caribbean (ended 1 March 2014?)

Link to Seaborne page on aa.com.

AA codeshares on Seaborne Airlines / BB could be booked now (24 Jun 2013), with flights as of 27 June 2013. Miles are earned on AA codeshares, and AA miles were able to be used for redemptions "sometime" later in 2013. Codeshares operated between SJU and DOM, EIS, FTF, PTP, VIJ and VQS. STT and STX were not included.

Awards using Seaborne seem quite scarce, and are limited to:

Redeem miles with Seaborne

Regions

Earn (?) and redeem AAdvantage® miles for travel on Seaborne between San Juan, Puerto Rico (SJU) and:
  • Dominica (DOM)
  • Fort de France, Martinique (FDF)
  • Pointe a Pitre (PTP)
  • Tortola, British Virgin Islands (EIS)
  • St. Thomas, US Virgin Islands (STT)
  • St. Croix, US Virgin Islands (STX)
  • Anguilla, Anguilla (AXA)

Print Wikipost

Old Oct 23, 13, 11:36 am

Programs: AAdvantage PLT-Pro, Priority Club Plt, Hilton Gold, Hyatt
I just spent over an hour on the phone with Expedia, the first time I've ever used them as I usually just use AA.com, but I needed to use Seaborne from STX to SJU to connect with AA to MIA and beyond as the flights times were better. The original booking was made a month or so ago. Late last week I decided to use points/copay to upgrade my wife and myself on the return portion of the itinerary. Apparently the resulting re-issuing of the ticket caused Seaborne to cancel the STX-SJU portion. I was notified of this in an email from Expedia last night. After three calls and an hour on the phone it was all straightened out but I'm worried that if the SJU-MIA and beyond segments clear upgrades (the normal way-not miles/copay) this will all happen again OR it will happen so close to flight time that we won't know it till we check in at Seaborne. Only time will tell I guess.
Old Oct 26, 13, 5:57 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1k, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, CC Gold
Just so you know you can book BB/AA flights on AA.com, just need to use all carriers option. Really simplifies checking bags too as they can see the rest of the res as some of the agents here can be skeptical at times when your Seaborne and AA reservations are different. Since the agreement has been in place I've cleared all my upgrades out of or into SJU without any effect on the Seaborne segments so I wouldn't worry to much about that. When is your flight? If soon please let us know if Seaborne can issue AA boarding passes yet and vice versa.
Old Feb 6, 14, 9:29 am
Original Poster

Unfortunately, it still looks like Seaborne wants nothing to do with AA frequent flyers so obviously they aren't a full partner airline (no AA award seats available...ever). I hope the new AA will get a different partner in the near future (whenever the Seaborne/AA contract expires) for the jump flights from San Juan to EIS (Beef Island, Tortola), STX and STT. Looks like our next trip to VI will be just in and out of STT and possibly eliminate visiting BVI altogether unless just day trips. We enjoyed staying in BVI last time, but we also had award seats out of EIS since we had booked them prior to the deal with Seaborne. I refuse to pay for a Seaborne jumper flight when I can just use AA/BA miles out of STT. We did enjoy staying at Scrub Island, BVI, but I think we'll just stay in St. John since the ferry ride back to St. Thomas is quick. Ferry from Scrub to Tortola to St. Thomas is too long. We really liked the convenience of using the EIS airport. Oh well.
Old Feb 9, 14, 9:47 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1k, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, CC Gold
Churnman - sorry to hear about the hassles. Seaborne is a mess IMO. They are now in the middle of relocating the ops and admin from STX to SJU, they can finally issue AA boarding passes but frequently these BPs have issues when you get to an AA gate. I flew home this morning and the seat was broken, FA said its been broken for weeks and laughed it off. I'm still very unhappy that USVI was left out of the AA codeshare deal and avoid them as much as possible for that reason (among many others) I also don't think STT or STX are even options for award tix. Let me know if you need any VI info, good luck
Old Feb 9, 14, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Churnman View Post
Unfortunately, it still looks like Seaborne wants nothing to do with AA frequent flyers so obviously they aren't a full partner airline (no AA award seats available...ever). I hope the new AA will get a different partner in the near future (whenever the Seaborne/AA contract expires) for the jump flights from San Juan to EIS (Beef Island, Tortola), STX and STT. Looks like our next trip to VI will be just in and out of STT and possibly eliminate visiting BVI altogether unless just day trips. We enjoyed staying in BVI last time, but we also had award seats out of EIS since we had booked them prior to the deal with Seaborne. I refuse to pay for a Seaborne jumper flight when I can just use AA/BA miles out of STT. We did enjoy staying at Scrub Island, BVI, but I think we'll just stay in St. John since the ferry ride back to St. Thomas is quick. Ferry from Scrub to Tortola to St. Thomas is too long. We really liked the convenience of using the EIS airport. Oh well.
And, AA is about to discontinue codeshares with Cape Air (which duplicates a couple of Seaborne destination.)

As of March 1, American Airlines will no longer codeshare on Cape Air flights to the Caribbean, including travel from San Juan, Puerto Rico (SJU) to Anguilla (AXA), Mayaguez, Puerto Rico (MAZ), Nevis (NEV), Tortola, British Virgin Islands (EIS) and Vieques, Puerto Rico (VQS). We are working with Cape Air to ensure that our customers with codeshare travel already booked on these routes will be able to keep their reservations, and will provide updates should there be any changes.

American will maintain its codeshare relationship with Cape Air on flights out of St. Louis, Mo. (STL) to Quincy, Ill., Cape Girardeau, Mo., Marion/Herrin, Ill., Ft. Leonard Wood, Mo., and Kirksville, Mo. In addition, customers will continue to have access to Tortola and Vieques through American's codeshare with Seaborne, and can reach Nevis via direct service to St. Kitt's Robert L. Bradshaw International Airport (SKB) from American's hub in Miami (MIA).

American constantly evaluates its overall network and codeshare partnerships to ensure we are meeting customer demand and as a result, we have determined to discontinue our codeshare with Cape Air in the Caribbean. We value our relationship with Cape Air and look forward to continuing to codeshare with them out of St. Louis.
Old Feb 10, 14, 9:13 am
Original Poster

What other local Caribbean airlines are an option for the future AA if they also want to stop codesharing with Seaborne (if Seaborne continues to thumb their nose at AAdvantage members)? I'm particularly interested in San Juan to Beef Island, Tortola.

Did Seaborne EVER allow AA award bookings? This is in reference to the note at the beginning of this thread which states "AA codeshares on Seaborne Airlines / BB can be booked now (24 Jun 2013), with flights as of 27 June 2013. Miles are earned on AA codeshares, and AA miles will be able to be used for redemptions "sometime" later in 2013. Codeshares will fly between SJU and DOM, EIS, FTF, PTP, VIJ and VQS. STT and STX are not included at this time."

Sorry for beefing about Seaborne more, but it's been a real let down since AA initially promoted their new relationship with Seaborne.

Last edited by Churnman; Feb 10, 14 at 10:09 am
Old Feb 10, 14, 6:04 pm

Programs: HH Gold, SPG Gold, AA Plat, Avis PC and lots of other plastic cards with logos on them.
What other local Caribbean airlines are an option for the future AA if they also want to stop codesharing with Seaborne (if Seaborne continues to thumb their nose at AAdvantage members)? I'm particularly interested in San Juan to Beef Island, Tortola.

Did Seaborne EVER allow AA award bookings? This is in reference to the note at the beginning of this thread which states "AA codeshares on Seaborne Airlines / BB can be booked now (24 Jun 2013), with flights as of 27 June 2013. Miles are earned on AA codeshares, and AA miles will be able to be used for redemptions "sometime" later in 2013. Codeshares will fly between SJU and DOM, EIS, FTF, PTP, VIJ and VQS. STT and STX are not included at this time."

Sorry for beefing about Seaborne more, but it's been a real let down since AA initially promoted their new relationship with Seaborne.

Anyone have any luck booking an award ticket with Seaborne? Trying to get off the rock (DOM) and back stateside for Valentine's Day Weekend and no dice yet.
Old Feb 11, 14, 2:08 am

Location: Juneau, Ft Lauderdale, Whitehorse, and mostly 2A or 3C. Never, EVER 4 though.
Programs: AS MVPG + BR, DL GM, Hertz Pres Circle, Natl Emerald Exec, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Silver
Its an issue with Seaborne's system - Videcomm -- and not that AA and BB do NOT want to work together, its a question of if their booking engine CAN work with Sabre.
Old Feb 11, 14, 9:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by UAPremierExec View Post
Its an issue with Seaborne's system - Videcomm -- and not that AA and BB do NOT want to work together, its a question of if their booking engine CAN work with Sabre.
BB actually bumped us off a flight because it was award seats that AA originally had for us before they switched from Eagle to Seaborne. These tickets were confirmed on Seaborne. And, because my wife could show them proof at the counter, they then seemingly were able to get AA to buy our seats so we could get on the next plane out. At this point I see no intention of Seaborne wanting to allow AA redemption on their metal, yet they enjoy the codeshare business they are receiving. At some point I hope AA forces them to accept award redemptions or AA gets another Caribbean carrier to do business with. Try talking to Seaborne and they'll tell you "sorry but we don't have any seats available at that rate (AA award)." They even told me AA would have to agree to pay more in order for them to allow an AA award seat on Seaborne planes.
Old Jul 20, 14, 11:44 am

Programs: HH Gold, SPG Gold, AA Plat, Avis PC and lots of other plastic cards with logos on them.
I am flying out on Seaborne from DOM-SJU then overnight then continue on AA SJU-DFW-SNA in J on the same itinerary.

Does anyone know even with the layover, am I entitled to the full 70lbs and 3 checked bags on the Seaborne leg as I am on the AA legs?

Thanks
Old Aug 1, 14, 11:25 am
Original Poster

Is Seaborne still not accepting AA miles for their flights even though they are supposed to be a partner, codeshare or whatever? I understand in the past the plan was that Seaborne would accept AA miles for award seats, but has that changed? I haven't looked into this in a while.
Old Aug 1, 14, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is Seaborne still not accepting AA miles for their flights even though they are supposed to be a partner, codeshare or whatever? I understand in the past the plan was that Seaborne would accept AA miles for award seats, but has that changed? I haven't looked into this in a while.
aa.com still says you can redeem on Seaborne on selected routes.
http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/ea...s/seaborne.jsp
Have you given aadvantage a call?
Old Aug 14, 14, 2:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska View Post
aa.com still says you can redeem on Seaborne on selected routes.
http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/ea...s/seaborne.jsp
Have you given aadvantage a call?
I should rephrase my inquiry. Has anyone here on FT in 2014 been able to book an AA award flight on Seaborne, particularly SJU to EIS (Beef Is. ) or vice versa?
Old Jan 16, 15, 2:36 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
what a crappy partnership! do AA execs know this is a mess?
Old Feb 19, 15, 8:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Just tried to book SJU to PTP for the entire month of March and no seats on any flight. I wonder if there is a trick (do the agents need to request old school style for example?) for getting award seats on BB?

Search this Thread