Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Unrefitted Boeing 738 / 737-800 First / Business seat (not 7M8 or Oasis)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 10, 2016, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA Boeing 737-823 airframes are currently configured 16F, 144Y (including 30 MCE), but a Cabin refit has begun.

NOTE: in accordance with AA “Project Oasis” all Boeing 737-800 aircraft are being retrofitted between 2018 and 2021. The first refitted aircraft of 304 738 airframes, N979AN, re-entered Service 13 May 2018.

Business / First cabins use 16 seats like those found today in the AA A319, with reduced seat pitch and recline. Lavatories are ultra-slim Rockwell Collins Spacewall lavs. See Oasis: New seats & less pitch, WiFi IFE & power all 737 and A321 2019-21 for further information.

As conversion has begun we have started a new thread at https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1912327-aircraft-guide-738-737-800-oasis-reconfigured-first-business-seat.html for Business / First (A319 Seat with reduced pitch and recline) seating in the new Project Oasis

You should be able to see which configuration a particular aircraft has by referencing the (unofficial) American Airlines Fleet Site here.

Pre-Oasis 737-800 / 738 First / Business Cabin Seating

All 738s delivered prior to 10 Dec 2013 are equipped with center ceiling mounted drop down screens. N939NN and N941NN and others delivered on or after 10 Dec 2013 have seat-back AVOD and 110 VAC plus 5 VDC USB seat power.

Please refer to the (unofficial) AA 737-800 Fleet Page Link for 737-800 configuration information by registration ("tail") numbers.
Print Wikipost

Unrefitted Boeing 738 / 737-800 First / Business seat (not 7M8 or Oasis)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2016, 12:43 am

Programs: delta dm
Great service on the ord pdx leg tonight in F on the 737 800. AVOD great. Crew great. Seats great. I love the warm nuts and the ice cream sundaes. Havent had those in years. Took me back to the american of old. I could have done without the LUS priority check in agent who wanted to do everything but her job and no first class line where i began my journey but had a great last leg and end to my day.☺
Old Feb 20, 2016, 6:25 am

738 (old config)/row 6 recline

Hi. I'll be traveling on a 738--the old version--from EWR to DFW. I prefer an aisle seat, and only 3E and 6E are open.

Seatguru says 6EF do not recline, while all other sites say they are regular first class seats and, in fact, some reviewers say they like 6EF. And 3E seems to have mixed reviews, as well. Any insight as to which might be a better pick would be much appreciated!
Old Feb 20, 2016, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by nyc10036
Hi. I'll be traveling on a 738--the old version--from EWR to DFW. I prefer an aisle seat, and only 3E and 6E are open.

Seatguru says 6EF do not recline, while all other sites say they are regular first class seats and, in fact, some reviewers say they like 6EF. And 3E seems to have mixed reviews, as well. Any insight as to which might be a better pick would be much appreciated!
What do you mean by "old" config? The 150 seat (AVOD) version? Not that it matters.

Row 6 has good (feels like full) recline, even in the 160 seat config with the bulkhead divider moved forward. So no worries. Row 3 has good knee room, but worse legroom. Generally, people don't like row 3, but it depends what you're looking for.
Old Feb 20, 2016, 4:12 pm

Programs: JAL Global Club & oneworld Sapphire, ANA SFC & Star Alliance Gold
Originally Posted by nyc10036

Seatguru is wrong. I've sat in 6E and it reclines.
Old Feb 20, 2016, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Unimatrix One
Seatguru is wrong. I've sat in 6E and it reclines.
Same experience. To be fair though, the recline is equally bad throughout the F cabin on this aircraft. The seat bottom slides forward while the seatback slides down giving the illusion of recline without actually having much. It isn't pleasant, and I personally will not fly this aircraft on flights longer than 2-2.5 hours.
Old Jun 1, 2016, 3:47 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Hilton Gold, Alitalia STE+
Hello!

I'm booked onto MIA-PTY in business class on a 738 but I can't find any information about this cabin being sold as 'business'. All I find is information about First.

Am I losing the plot?

Thanks!
Old Jun 1, 2016, 3:53 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Its all domestic first....
Old Jul 5, 2016, 10:28 am

Hello,

Trying to decide on bulkhead vs. row 4 for some flights coming up. If the person in front of you feels the need to recline all the way, can you still use a laptop on your lap? Or does the back of the chair get in the way?
Old Jul 5, 2016, 10:30 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by kilton
Trying to decide on bulkhead vs. row 4 for some flights coming up. If the person in front of you feels the need to recline all the way, can you still use a laptop on your lap? Or does the back of the chair get in the way?
The seats articulate, so when the person in front reclines, that person's seat cushion also slides forward. There should be no problem using your laptop if the person in front reclines.
Old Jul 5, 2016, 10:32 am

Great, thanks!
Old Aug 27, 2016, 9:46 pm

Programs: AA, BA, Admirals, Accor, HHG, Global Entry
737-800 (738) First Row (3F) Seating Window Configuration

American 737-800 Seating configuration question

I am due to take an AA flight SFO to DFW and the ticketing agent believed that Seat 3F (Very front window seat) had either a partially obstructed window or was missing a window.

AA 1020 October 2016 DFW/PHL

Can anyone enlighten me? I would be okay with having a partial view of window than someone leaning a seat back in front of me, no matter the class of service. Not so sure about a totally missing window, however.

Last edited by JMGPhila; Aug 28, 2016 at 12:18 am
Old Aug 28, 2016, 1:25 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by JMGPhila

I am due to take an AA flight SFO to DFW and the ticketing agent believed that Seat 3F (Very front window seat) had either a partially obstructed window or was missing a window.
Not correct. See for example: http://www.ausbt.com.au/the-best-sea...boeing-737-800
Old Aug 28, 2016, 2:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1k, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, X Elite+
Originally Posted by JMGPhila

AA 1020 October 2016 DFW/PHL

Can anyone enlighten me? I would be okay with having a partial view of window than someone leaning a seat back in front of me, no matter the class of service. Not so sure about a totally missing window, however.
There are *2* windows for 3A and 3F, as well as all other windows on this plane. Sitting right next to them now :-)
Old Dec 29, 2016, 9:34 am

Programs: AA PLT, Marriott LTP
I have an upcoming Flight this weekend BOS-LAX. How do you determine if you're flying a 'new' version with AVOD or an 'old' version with the drop down monitors?
The seat map on AA shows the rows as FC 3-6 then Y starting row 7. According to seat guru, versions with Y starting row 7 look to be the old version while Y starting with row 8 are the new ones. I know seat guru isn't always correct.
Thanks
Old Dec 29, 2016, 11:31 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by BMWMOT
I have an upcoming Flight this weekend BOS-LAX. How do you determine if you're flying a 'new' version with AVOD or an 'old' version with the drop down monitors?
The seat map on AA shows the rows as FC 3-6 then Y starting row 7. According to seat guru, versions with Y starting row 7 look to be the old version while Y starting with row 8 are the new ones. I know seat guru isn't always correct.
Thanks
Unfortunately, the only way to determine if your plane will AVOD is 24 hrs prior to your flight check the tail number on FlightStats.com. If the tail number is N939NN through N998NN, N200NV, N301NW or N305NX then it will have AVOD. The seatguru map is out of date, as no 737's start with row 8 anymore.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.