Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Unrefitted Boeing 738 / 737-800 First / Business seat (not 7M8 or Oasis)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 10, 2016, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA Boeing 737-823 airframes are currently configured 16F, 144Y (including 30 MCE), but a Cabin refit has begun.

NOTE: in accordance with AA “Project Oasis” all Boeing 737-800 aircraft are being retrofitted between 2018 and 2021. The first refitted aircraft of 304 738 airframes, N979AN, re-entered Service 13 May 2018.

Business / First cabins use 16 seats like those found today in the AA A319, with reduced seat pitch and recline. Lavatories are ultra-slim Rockwell Collins Spacewall lavs. See Oasis: New seats & less pitch, WiFi IFE & power all 737 and A321 2019-21 for further information.

As conversion has begun we have started a new thread at https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1912327-aircraft-guide-738-737-800-oasis-reconfigured-first-business-seat.html for Business / First (A319 Seat with reduced pitch and recline) seating in the new Project Oasis

You should be able to see which configuration a particular aircraft has by referencing the (unofficial) American Airlines Fleet Site here.

Pre-Oasis 737-800 / 738 First / Business Cabin Seating

All 738s delivered prior to 10 Dec 2013 are equipped with center ceiling mounted drop down screens. N939NN and N941NN and others delivered on or after 10 Dec 2013 have seat-back AVOD and 110 VAC plus 5 VDC USB seat power.

Please refer to the (unofficial) AA 737-800 Fleet Page Link for 737-800 configuration information by registration ("tail") numbers.
Print Wikipost

Unrefitted Boeing 738 / 737-800 First / Business seat (not 7M8 or Oasis)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2015, 11:40 am

Programs: National Executive Elite, IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Gold, SW A List, Marriott Gold
Seating Questions in F on LAA 737-800

Flying in F on ORD-SJU this winter and wondering what the best seats are? Currently in 6AB as I figured it would be nice to be able to recline back with no backlash and have a row in front of us for under seat storage.

Where is the IFE monitor? Is it in the seat back in front or does it pop out of the arm rest?

How is food served? FEBO or always from the front?

Are the bulkheads cramped with less legroom?

Thanks!
Old Oct 17, 2015, 11:48 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
The majority of 738s have no PTVs--if you are lucky, you may get a new 738 with PTVs in the seatback. I usually prefer row 4 or 5. Row 6 has the bulkhead behind it, as well as everyone's coats and jackets, and I always feel has slightly less recline.
Old Oct 17, 2015, 1:48 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by MSP_Monopoly
Flying in F on ORD-SJU this winter and wondering what the best seats are? Currently in 6AB as I figured it would be nice to be able to recline back with no backlash and have a row in front of us for under seat storage.

Where is the IFE monitor? Is it in the seat back in front or does it pop out of the arm rest?

Thanks!
"FEBO" was discontinued over a year ago. See: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...-sep-14-a.html

NOTE: Now that this has become a "mega-forum", you will probably notice there is a trend to keep what some call "mega-threads" on some topics. We try to keep these current and of reasonable length by curating annually (or more frequently if needed) by archiving older posts.

Why do we do this? Because we keep wikis with the critical information in them for members to quickly gain information, which is amplified considerably with members' experiences and knowledge (which is often used to modifybthevwikis), and to prevent information fragmentation. (Imagine a forum in which one either searches and has to pick through dozens - or more! - of threads with bits of information, or where people keep posting the same questions over and over again, dishonoring those members who have contributed their answers whilst further adding to the information fragmentation problem).

We hope you will find this approach helpful, and that you will feel comfortable contributing and even updating the wiki information - wikis are community owned, and nobody - not moderators - is tasked with establishing, maintaining or updating wikis.

Thanks for reading!

/Moderator
Old Oct 17, 2015, 3:52 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by MSP_Monopoly

Thanks!
No more FEBO - now based on direction and timezone crossing.

Bulkheads seem to have about the same legroom.

I always prefer the last row, so long as recline is not limited. It is not limited on AA.

If there is a PTV, it is seatback.

Originally Posted by flyingeph12
The majority of 738s have no PTVs--if you are lucky, you may get a new 738 with PTVs in the seatback. I usually prefer row 4 or 5. Row 6 has the bulkhead behind it, as well as everyone's coats and jackets, and I always feel has slightly less recline.
There are quite a few PTV planes around now, but their seats are noticeably less comfortable.

Originally Posted by camachinist
Recently flew a 738 PHX-DFW which had the Boeing Sky Interior and, other than the difference in how the F seat reclined (the bottom slid forward as the back tilted) it was overall a comfortable ride. Wide seat, OK recline and the BSI interior gives an open feel. Also, I liked the way the additional drink shelves folded out of both the seat itself and from the armrest back of the seat in front.

Short flight mid-morning so we only had a snack and it was hearty salad with a nice fillet of cold salmon on the side.

Overall ^

Most (all?) of the 738s have the forward sliding seat pans.
Old Oct 17, 2015, 4:28 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by N1120A
There are quite a few PTV planes around now, but their seats are noticeably less comfortable.
I suppose 39/260 (15%) is "quite a few." Personally, I've mostly been on the other 85% of 738s without AVOD.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 5:14 pm

Programs: delta dm
737-800s on American

I am a high tier elite on Delta who is testing the waters on American Airlines. I wanted to know what I should expect in first class on the 737 800 flying from Chicago O'Hare to Portland International Airport. What is the IFE like if any at all? How is the wifi? How is the food? Are there charging ports? Its been so long since ive flown american that american wasnt flying 737s at that time. Thanks.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 5:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by dzflyer
I am a high tier elite on Delta who is testing the waters on American Airlines. I wanted to know what I should expect in first class on the 737 800 flying from Chicago O'Hare to Portland International Airport. What is the IFE like if any at all? How is the wifi? How is the food? Are there charging ports? Its been so long since ive flown american that american wasnt flying 737s at that time. Thanks.
A small number of newer 738s have free AVOD in F. Those a/c circulate through the system so you never know ahead of time if you are going to get a new 738. Wifi is gogo, can't stream your own content. All F seats have power ports. Food is domestic airline food, probably not that much different from DL. However, getting a pre departure beverage on AA can be problematic, or its limited to water and (sometimes warm) OJ.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 5:38 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
AA has a lot of 738s, some as old as 1999, some so new they probably still have the new plane smell.

IFE: On most planes it will be drop down screens with common entertainment (perhaps a movie, otherwise it will NBC Universal shows). Newer planes (N939NN onward, I think) have in-seat IFE, but these planes are small percentage of the fleet. Plan to not have personal IFE.

Internet: All 738s have Gogo. I have used Gogo on both AA and Delta and find performance equivalent. Works fine generally, not lightning fast, and hangs or goes slow occasionally.

Charging: I believe all 738s have AC ports at each F seat, but someone else should confirm.

Food: AA food is not as good as it used to be pre-merger, but is probably relatively comparable with other airline's domestic F offerings. If the flight is in a meal window, you will get a meal (which you can preselect in advance, if you choose). If your flight departs in the lull between lunch and dinner (roughly 1-3:59pm departure I believe) you wont' get a meal but will get appetizers like hummus or cheese and fruit.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
A small number of newer 738s have free AVOD in F. Those a/c circulate through the system so you never know ahead of time if you are going to get a new 738. Wifi is gogo, can't stream your own content. All F seats have power ports. Food is domestic airline food, probably not that much different from DL. However, getting a pre departure beverage on AA can be problematic, or its limited to water and (sometimes warm) OJ.
Thanks. Looking forward to seeing how it goes. I flew american when the mainline aircraft was only 767 757 727 and mostly maddogs.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 5:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by dzflyer
Thanks. Looking forward to seeing how it goes. I flew american when the mainline aircraft was only 767 757 727 and mostly maddogs.
The MD80s are still around but are being retired over the next two years. You just have to hope there isn't an a/c switch from a 738 to an MD80 ahead of time (but highly likely this route will remain a 738). The 763s are down to 45 a/c with more retirements likely, same for many of the 757s. New 738, 788, 321, 350s on the way and IIRC a small number of more 773s.

Also of note is that LUS a/c no power ports and no IFE/AVOD. New LAA 319s (no more on order) and 321s have free AVOD in F.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 5:55 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
AMERICAN is far better, never gave looked back..
Old Jan 12, 2016, 6:15 pm

I have a samsung 6 droid phone that on delta i am unable to stream delta studio on. Only works for iphone or ipad. What are your guys experiences on streaming american inflight entertainmemt on a droid phone? If so is it free in first class? Im assuming worst case there should be an overhead movie to watch.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
AA uses Gogo for wifi and entertainment streaming, like DL. If you have a hardware/software combo not supported by Delta Studio don't expect things to work on AA, either.

Delta Studio can work on Android tablets but not phones. There are several Windows/web browser combos that work, too, all documented. It's far more than just iOs.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
AA uses Gogo for wifi and entertainment streaming, like DL. If you have a hardware/software combo not supported by Delta Studio don't expect things to work on AA, either.

Delta Studio can work on Android tablets but not phones. There are several Windows/web browser combos that work, too, all documented. It's far more than just iOs.
So i guess a droid phone is a no go to watch a movie via american entertainment. Bummer.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 8:59 pm

Programs: AA PLT Pro 2MM, DL Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Ambassador + LT Plat, COFC Venture X, HHonors Diamond
There's a decent chance your plane will be on a 73A (3LC/N939NN+). If not your seats will still have AC power, Gogo wifi and overhead IFE & audio will be available.

IMO the seats themselves on AA are much more comfortable than DL 738/73H, but I have spent considerably more time on AA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.