Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Unrefitted Boeing 738 / 737-800 First / Business seat (not 7M8 or Oasis)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 10, 2016, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA Boeing 737-823 airframes are currently configured 16F, 144Y (including 30 MCE), but a Cabin refit has begun.

NOTE: in accordance with AA “Project Oasis” all Boeing 737-800 aircraft are being retrofitted between 2018 and 2021. The first refitted aircraft of 304 738 airframes, N979AN, re-entered Service 13 May 2018.

Business / First cabins use 16 seats like those found today in the AA A319, with reduced seat pitch and recline. Lavatories are ultra-slim Rockwell Collins Spacewall lavs. See Oasis: New seats & less pitch, WiFi IFE & power all 737 and A321 2019-21 for further information.

As conversion has begun we have started a new thread at https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1912327-aircraft-guide-738-737-800-oasis-reconfigured-first-business-seat.html for Business / First (A319 Seat with reduced pitch and recline) seating in the new Project Oasis

You should be able to see which configuration a particular aircraft has by referencing the (unofficial) American Airlines Fleet Site here.

Pre-Oasis 737-800 / 738 First / Business Cabin Seating

All 738s delivered prior to 10 Dec 2013 are equipped with center ceiling mounted drop down screens. N939NN and N941NN and others delivered on or after 10 Dec 2013 have seat-back AVOD and 110 VAC plus 5 VDC USB seat power.

Please refer to the (unofficial) AA 737-800 Fleet Page Link for 737-800 configuration information by registration ("tail") numbers.
Print Wikipost

Unrefitted Boeing 738 / 737-800 First / Business seat (not 7M8 or Oasis)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2017, 7:02 am
formerly PHLGrump

Bulkheads are usually a no-go for me. I like to be able to slide my briefcase under the seat.
deeruck likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 9:24 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by CyndiT
I have the chance to fly First Class on American on a Boeing 737..should I choose bulk head (Row 3) or what would you recommend?

Which side of the plane is better ? I think it's A-B and E-F

Thanks for any information.
Having flown all the seats, there's nothing particularly special or bad about any of them. Do you like bulkheads in coach? If so, go for row 3. Otherwise...
Old Nov 28, 2017, 2:19 pm

This is quite the longshot, but I was wondering if anyone can please measure the distance from the edge of the bulkhead seat to the wall - I'd really appreciate it! My memory is fading me as it's been over a year since I've flown on the 737.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 8:27 am

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Been quite a while since I flew on a 738 with AA, and my memory is a little hazy. A couple of quick questions:
  • Are First and Main Cabin Extra (between row 6 and 7) separated by a curtain or a proper bulkhead?
  • Any downside of row 6? I've read the last few pages of posts in this thread and couldn't see anything obvious, but thought I'd double check. I have a choice of an aisle in row 6 or a window in row 4/5. For this flight I'm leaning towards an aisle seat, if there is no disadvantage to row 6. Not massively concerned about full recline, though it seems that this isn't an issue with the articulated seats.
Thanks in advice for any advice.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
There's a bulkhead behind the last row on the LAA 738.(The MAX doesn't have a bulkhead)

If there is reduced recline behind row 6 it isn't very noticeable, but there is room for coat(s) or other items to be hung behind row 6 which may affect the ability to recline fully if there's something bulky back there. I generally try to avoid the first row because I like somewhere to stow my bag, and the last row too, but for not great reason.
Oaxaca likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 4:43 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
You can make out the bulkhead and get an idea of the recline in this picture:

railmatt and Oaxaca like this.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by Fraser
There's a bulkhead behind the last row on the LAA 738.(The MAX doesn't have a bulkhead)

If there is reduced recline behind row 6 it isn't very noticeable, but there is room for coat(s) or other items to be hung behind row 6 which may affect the ability to recline fully if there's something bulky back there. I generally try to avoid the first row because I like somewhere to stow my bag, and the last row too, but for not great reason.
The coat rod was removed and the bulkhead moved forward when the 738s went to 160 seats a couple of years back.
Fraser and Oaxaca like this.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by Djokison
The coat rod was removed and the bulkhead moved forward when the 738s went to 160 seats a couple of years back.
Good to know, thanks!

Unfortunately one of my flights a month out only has row 6 available...grr!
Old Jan 11, 2018, 11:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
[QUOTE=Fraser;29282226]Good to know, thanks!

Unfortunately one of my flights a month out only has row 6 available...grr!]

Row 6 will still beat any seat in Y!
Old Jan 12, 2018, 6:32 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Plat, NK $9 fare club
I always book row 6 when available, because I like the private feel that the bulkhead provides. Trust me when I say this--they recline the same as the other seats. Full recline (1) doesn't even touch the bulkhead & (2) slides the butt cushion out towards row 5. Same recline as other rows.
Oaxaca likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 7:43 am

Programs: AA EXP, Delta, Amtrak, Hertz PC
It is not obvious in CMK10's picture, but the bulkhead behind row 6 has an angle in it that allows row 6 to recline while allowing slightly more legroom for the folks in row 7.
Oaxaca likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2018, 8:01 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Spanish
I always book row 6 when available, because I like the private feel that the bulkhead provides. Trust me when I say this--they recline the same as the other seats. Full recline (1) doesn't even touch the bulkhead & (2) slides the butt cushion out towards row 5. Same recline as other rows.
It might just be me, but I do feel that Row 6 reclines less than the other rows. I generally try to avoid Row 6, so my experience is somewhat dated perhaps. I would take Row 6 over Row 3, however.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 6:27 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by KBMIFlyer
It is not obvious in CMK10's picture, but the bulkhead behind row 6 has an angle in it that allows row 6 to recline while allowing slightly more legroom for the folks in row 7.
I can confirm this is correct, I ended up in 6A twice last weekend and the recline was no different than it was on previous flights in rows 3-5.
zpaul likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 2:01 pm

Programs: Walmart Super Elite
Originally Posted by lobo411
The nice thing about the bulkhead is that it feels a lot more open because nobody's in front of you, and if you're in the window seat you can get out to use the lav without disturbing your seatmate.

The side you pick doesn't matter...that's a throwback to the best aircraft ever produced, the MD-80.
I'm a bulkhead, aisle guy. On the 738's, is the space in one of the bins above the bulkhead seats typically occupied by safety equipment? Is it always on one side of the aisle -- snd if so, which side?
Old Apr 25, 2018, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Bago'peanuts
I'm a bulkhead, aisle guy. On the 738's, is the space in one of the bins above the bulkhead seats typically occupied by safety equipment? Is it always on one side of the aisle -- snd if so, which side?
IIRC it is a little bin on the AB side. There is bin space pretty much above row 3 on both sides though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.