Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Award ticket and MCE / Main Cabin Extra or Premium seat: possible? (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 10, 2015, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Award Ticket and Main Cabin Extra / MCE or Premium Seat

From aa.com:

Award and MCE & Premium Seat FAQ on MCE, on aa.com: Link

Originally Posted by bdemaria
On aa.com, FAQ on MCE:

Q: Can I purchase the new seat product if I am traveling on an AAdvantage MileSAAver Award ticket or Business Extra PlanAAhead ticket?

A: Elite status members may select Main Cabin Extra seats when traveling on MileSAAver or PlanAAhead Award tickets. However, Main Cabin Extra is not available for purchase by non-elite customers traveling on MileSAAver or PlanAAhead Award tickets.
Q: Can I purchase a Main Cabin Extra seat if I am traveling on an AAdvantage AAnytime Award ticket or a Business ExtrAA Anytime Award?

A: Yes. Main Cabin Extra is complimentary to passengers traveling on AAnytime Award tickets.

On a related note: link

Elite member access (purchased ticket)

Main Cabin Extra seats are complimentary for:
  • AAdvantage® Executive Platinum and AAdvantage Platinum members*
  • oneworld® Sapphire and oneworld Emerald members*
  • Customers who purchase a full-fare Main Cabin ticket
  • Alaska Airlines MVP® Gold and MVP® Gold 75K customers*
  • *and up to eight traveling companions on the same reservation
AAdvantage Gold, oneworld Ruby members and Alaska Airlines MVP® customers* may:
  • Purchase Main Cabin Extra seats for 50% off or
  • Enjoy complimentary access within 24 hours of departure when seats are available
*and up to eight traveling companions on the same reservation

Updated 5 Dec 2016 by JDiver

Wikipost: Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)
Print Wikipost

Award ticket and MCE / Main Cabin Extra or Premium seat: possible? (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2017, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by jay_dubya
A 20k domestic coach ticket is a full fare Y ticket which entitles you to free MCE seats. The inability to choose mce seats is limited to saver awards
Ahhh...got it. Not a horrible consolation prize for having to pay 20k for coach I guess (it is Memorial Day weekend after all). Thanks!
Old May 2, 2017, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by monkeys
Ahhh...got it. Not a horrible consolation prize for having to pay 20k for coach I guess (it is Memorial Day weekend after all). Thanks!
20k actually seems like a pretty decent deal, especially since it includes MCE. I hadn't looked at the domestic chart in a while, I thought it was always 25k/50k r/t saver/anytime. Now I see the Anytimes were split into 40/60k. Somewhat surprised the holiday weekend didn't bump it up, IIRC, the different Anytime levels are predetermined for specific dates, and don't really change all that much (i.e., not dependent upon specific inventory availability).
Old Jun 13, 2017, 9:36 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by JonNYC
It's a limitation whereby if they can't charge on an award lest it lead to other taxes/fees and the system can't work with it. It's most definitely officially in the category of "something we want to fix and will fix, but haven't as of yet."
Couple 'a years later, onemileatatime reports this finally implemented.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 10:53 am

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Couple 'a years later, onemileatatime reports this finally implemented.
Do you mean that I (a lowlife status-less kettle) can book a main cabin award and purchase MCE now?
Old Jun 13, 2017, 11:24 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by cheltzel
Do you mean that I (a lowlife status-less kettle) can book a main cabin award and purchase MCE now?
oops, yes, sorry-- I forgot the link:
http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...award-tickets/
Old Jun 13, 2017, 3:31 pm

Programs: AA GLD Skymiles DM MM, a+ rewards lifetime elite, AS, Marriott plat, PC plat, HH gold
Thanks for the update, I can see it is active on the app.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 7:26 pm
Suspended

Used just now in booking milesaver travel for family, was glad to have the option!
Old Jul 6, 2017, 11:03 am

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
I bought Saver seats for my sister and brother-in-law; my parents bought and got placed in bulkhead seats because he's virtually wheelchair-bound. They are all non-status.

I got bulkhead aisle across from them for myself on the same flight. When I got upgraded yesterday, I contacted my sister so she could grab the seat; she was unable to see it as available. So I called and got her moved for $37; I questioned the fee but since I'm not on that PNR I guess I'm stuck with it?
Old Jul 6, 2017, 12:37 pm

Programs: A little bit of miles and points scattered everywhere
Used just now in booking milesaver travel for family, was glad to have the option!
how much does it cost to upgrade to MCE? is it a flat rate or based upon something else?
Old Jul 26, 2017, 6:51 pm

AA gold here.

Got a paid ticket for me -- DFW to SCL.
3 sAAver award tickets for my family.

If I am reading the wiki correctly, I need to link the PNRs, and then I can call in and pay for MCE seats for all of us? I assume this will be at half price. Can anyone confirm?
Old Aug 14, 2017, 6:13 am

Programs: AA EXP, 1865 Voyager, *G
As a data point, there's possibly some hinkiness going on with the system. AAnytime award booked for my GF, HKG/DFW/LGA (one flight #) -- it wouldn't allow selection of MCE, despite it being wide open. Figured I'd check again closer in and still nada.

Had to call in and the EXP desk couldn't fix it. They called help desk and help desk put THEM on hold to try and fix it. Was eventually fixed, but took about 15 minutes (well worth the time for my GF to hate me less for that flight!) and sounded like some unusual system shenanigans...

Also, unless I'm missing it (always possible) -- it's possible that the FAQ/MCE section regarding AAnytime awards getting it free is gone; I certainly can't seem to find it, only mention of "Full fare Economy tickets" which they may choose to not include AAnytime awards. I'm sure someone well more knowledgeable than I can determine this!
Old Sep 15, 2017, 9:04 am

Programs: AAdvantage
Looks like AA now offers upgrades on MileSaver bookings

I logged on to see my LAX/HTR reservation and looked at my seat assignments. I could see premium seats being offered. I bought the seats I wanted for $80 each.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 9:20 am
Original Member

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, IHG - Platinum
Confusion from non AA flyer

Deleted

Last edited by Larrude; Jan 11, 2018 at 1:12 pm
Old Mar 7, 2020, 12:02 pm

After I use BA miles or AS miles to book tickets on AA, would I be able to pay for "Main Cabin Extra" seats? Also, would I be able to pay for "Priority" check-in, security, and boarding?

(If it matters, I have no status on BA, AS, or AA.)

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.