FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Award ticket and MCE / Main Cabin Extra or Premium seat: possible? (master thd) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1447525-award-ticket-mce-main-cabin-extra-premium-seat-possible-master-thd.html)

JDiver Feb 2, 2017 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by jiffer21225 (Post 27856616)
I used miles to book 2 economy seats for my husband and myself to Italy. We will be flying PHL-VCE-FCO-PHL in the fall. When I made the reservation he gave me the option of reserving our seats. But it will not let me pick a window seat even at an additional cost. I would gladly pay the additional cost so my husband and myself will have the 2 seats to ourselves.

Any idea why I cant pick these seats? I am wondering is it because I don't have status it will not allow me to pick those seats.

We have merged your query into the existing master thread on this topic. Please read the Wikipost at the top of the page for further information.

/Moderator

Tariq Babieh Feb 2, 2017 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by jiffer21225 (Post 27856616)
I used miles to book 2 economy seats for my husband and myself to Italy. We will be flying PHL-VCE-FCO-PHL in the fall. When I made the reservation he gave me the option of reserving our seats. But it will not let me pick a window seat even at an additional cost. I would gladly pay the additional cost so my husband and myself will have the 2 seats to ourselves.

Any idea why I cant pick these seats? I am wondering is it because I don't have status it will not allow me to pick those seats.

You booked fairy early, so I am suprised they don't have seats towards the back of the plane wide open. those are usually not "preferred seats"

jiffer21225 Feb 3, 2017 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by Tariq Babieh (Post 27857137)
You booked fairy early, so I am suprised they don't have seats towards the back of the plane wide open. those are usually not "preferred seats"

I looked at the seats options it will let me choose and it doesn't give me any options for the 2 seats next to the window. Only the 4 seats in the middle. Any idea when I check in online for my flight it will let me choose the seats next to window?

alien Feb 3, 2017 2:52 pm

At the 24 hour mark you should see the actual seating chart with all of the -hidden- non MCE seats. Hopefully at that point you'll have better choices. You can see this on AA.com by looking at your flight # before and after the 24 HR mark for something before the date your actual flight. If it's a seasonal route not operating now, just look at something operating now. Good luck.

turkeyRIOO Feb 19, 2017 8:06 am

Seeing some interesting options on the app this morning for MCE. I can purchase MCE seats on a 763 OGG-DFW for $64-$70 on a milesaver award. No other award reservations have the option and it is only on the app.

Terico Mar 18, 2017 1:36 pm

AA Economy MileSAAver USA to Europe award = only middle rows

Hello, In recent past I've used lowest level R/T award redemption from USA to Europe with United (Star Alliance). No problems, plenty of seats (minus premium) selection ahead of time. Decent connections.

This time I used AA Economy MileSSaver (60K R/T) CLT to MAD. When booked, the only seats I am offered are in the middle of the plane. So, all window seats and aisle seats on the sides are blocked (not occupied). I called, they explained it is due to my low level award used (MileSSaver). And I cannot pay to reserve a seat nor upgrade, due to the MileSSaver level redemption. Wow! This is bold!

Wondering if this is a trend or just an AA award thing? This is a trip for Sept 2017! Agent told me at times they release last few rows window seats, to check a few weeks ahead.

Amazing how I've worked years to earn miles by charging purchases on the AAdvantage credit card, to be surprised now by this seat restriction + long layover connections itinerary (to get to CLT from DCA, and then LIS from MAD.

Also, another issue with OneWorld is that award flying with BA from USA to Heathrow averages $350 in airport and other fees, each way! I think I will stick to Star Alliance.

Is it worth using the airline loyalty credit cards? Thanks.

Mrp Alert Mar 18, 2017 1:50 pm

Do you have AA elite status? If not, it's not unheard of for all preferred seats to be reserved for elite and/or lying pax.

guv1976 Mar 18, 2017 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by Mrp Alert (Post 28053907)
Do you have AA elite status? If not, it's not unheard of for all preferred seats to be reserved for elite and/or lying pax.

What lie do you have to tell to get a preferred seat on award travel?

:D

turkeyRIOO Mar 18, 2017 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by Terico (Post 28053876)

Wondering if this is a trend or just an AA award thing? This is a trip for Sept 2017! Agent told me at times they release last few rows window seats, to check a few weeks ahead.

Welcome to flyertalk!

The outer 2 seats on AA widebodies with a 2 seat section (A33X, 763) are all listed as at least preferred even for revenue bookings. If there are any preferred seats left at ~T-26, they will be released for anyone to select.

Pat89339 Mar 18, 2017 11:21 pm

I'm moving this thread over to the AA forum.

Pat89339, Moderator Mileage Run Forum

rjw242 Mar 18, 2017 11:56 pm

Using them in isolation? No, not worth it in my opinion. To earn extra miles and/or gain benefits on an airline that you already fly somewhat regularly (but not extremely frequently), they can be really useful. But it doesn't sound like you were in that situation. A general-purpose program with transferable points, like Chase UR, might be more up your alley.

Enjoy Star Alliance. All of your complaints have been the case on AA for years, so I'm a little surprised you put in so much time and effort to earn AA miles without first getting a basic sense of the pros and cons of redeeming them.

andersonCooper Mar 19, 2017 6:38 am

Hello, In recent past I've used lowest level R/T award redemption from USA to Europe with United (Star Alliance). No problems, plenty of seats (minus premium) selection ahead of time. Decent connections.

This time I used AA Economy MileSSaver (60K R/T) CLT to MAD. When booked, the only seats I am offered are in the middle of the plane. So, all window seats and aisle seats on the sides are blocked (not occupied). I called, they explained it is due to my low level award used (MileSSaver). And I cannot pay to reserve a seat nor upgrade, due to the MileSSaver level redemption. Wow! This is bold!

Amazing how I've worked years to earn miles by charging purchases on the AAdvantage credit card, to be surprised now by this seat restriction + long layover connections itinerary (to get to CLT from DCA, and then LIS from MAD.

Also, another issue with OneWorld is that award flying with BA from USA to Heathrow averages $350 in airport and other fees, each way! I think I will stick to Star Alliance.

Just checked my upcoming Q fare RT trip from JFK to LHR and the taxes are $140 and carrier fees are $250. How did you get $350 each way?

JDiver Mar 19, 2017 7:28 am

Terico, welcome to FlyerTalk.

Unless you have oneworld Sapphire / AA Platinum or above, with a MileSAAver award you're limited to those seats. At T-26 or so you might have more selection.

Originally Posted by andersonCooper (Post 28055969)
Just checked my upcoming Q fare RT trip from JFK to LHR and the taxes are $140 and carrier fees are $250. How did you get $350 each way?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html

We will likely merge this into the "welcome newbie lounge" thread. /Moderator

andersonCooper Mar 19, 2017 7:39 am

Originally Posted by JDiver (Post 28056058)

Unless you have oneworld Sapphire / AA Platinum or above, with a MileSAAver award you're limited to those seats. At T-26 or so you might have more selection.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html

We will likely merge this into the "welcome newbie lounge" thread. /Moderator

Thanks! My bad for missing the " flying with BA from" part and compared it to a AA marketed and operated flight...

JDiver Mar 19, 2017 8:29 am

Originally Posted by andersonCooper (Post 28056084)
Thanks! My bad for missing the " flying with BA from" part and compared it to a AA marketed and operated flight...

IMO, BA's bad. Horrible, consumer unfriendly policy. Of course, it's exactly why SAAver awards are available so freely on BA.

ijgordon Mar 19, 2017 9:30 am

Originally Posted by JDiver (Post 28056058)

Gold gets you "preferred" (blocked, non-MCE) seats, and 50% off MCE (before T-24). Not sure about non-AA oneworld Ruby.

All the airlines block seats for elites, but I think AA is the worst offender of the domestics.

sdsearch Mar 19, 2017 10:59 am

This is not a "policy". It is limitation due to a technical quirk in AA's reservation system which appears to be hard for them to fix. AA is unable to process anything paid (ie, anything which could incur taxes) on an award reservation. So on an AA award reservation, only those seats you can get free (at booking, at online check-in, or at the gate) are available to you.

Even AA Gold, who normally can buy MCE for 1/2 price at booking time, cannot buy MCE at any price on an award reservation.

So this limitation affects a lot of people. And thus yours is far from the first post about this, and there's a big thread about it already:

sdsearch Mar 19, 2017 11:01 am

Originally Posted by ijgordon (Post 28056407)
Gold gets you "preferred" (blocked, non-MCE) seats, and 50% off MCE (before T-24). Not sure about non-AA oneworld Ruby.

Not on MileSAAver awards it doesn't. They can't handle the payment.

Happy Mar 19, 2017 11:26 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch (Post 28056685)
Not on MileSAAver awards it doesn't. They can't handle the payment.

You explained very well on the problem - because the paid fee would make the award ticket has value thus triggers at least 3 US taxes that otherwise would not be there had the ticket is indeed "free", i.e. no value.

For that matter, the award on CX ex HKG now has a lot more taxes due to CX opted to pass along the 3rd runway fee and that is NOT classified as tax, making the award ticket now has $50 or more (forgot the actual amount) taxes and fee than before the 3rd runway fee became in effect.

Happy Mar 19, 2017 11:28 am

Originally Posted by ijgordon (Post 28056407)

All the airlines block seats for elites, but I think AA is the worst offender of the domestics.

Does NOT apply to award tickets.

On an award ticket Gold can get to select the MCE after T-24 if there is still any available. Else there is NOTHING Gold could do about it even MCE is available for sale on a pay ticket.

It is Award Ticket we are talking about here so your comment is not even relevant, and frankly, misleading.

turkeyRIOO Mar 19, 2017 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by Happy (Post 28056774)
You explained very well on the problem - because the paid fee would make the award ticket has value thus triggers at least 3 US taxes that otherwise would not be there had the ticket is indeed "free", i.e. no value.

AS has buy up to premium on an award ticket. I think I recently upgraded a UA award to economy+ without any additional tax issues. The no MCE on award is an AA policy not a tax issue.

jay_dubya Mar 19, 2017 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by turkeyRIOO (Post 28057660)
AS has buy up to premium on an award ticket. I think I recently upgraded a UA award to economy+ without any additional tax issues. The no MCE on award is an AA policy not a tax issue.

It's a tax issue caused by IT incompetence, which in this instance doesn't plague UA

JonNYC Mar 21, 2017 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by turkeyRIOO (Post 28057660)

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22924059-post22.html

monkeys May 2, 2017 9:45 am

I CAN select a MCE seat for free on an award booking - why?

I'm probably completely missing something but I'm confused - from skimming over this thread, it seems that MCE seats should not be available on an award booking, but I *am* able to choose them (as well as the starred seats that are "for elite members").

I have no status at all with AA, and this is a coach award ticket (20k miles) from JFK to LAX. I do have the Aviator Red credit card.

On the seat selection screen I can choose between a couple "normal" (i.e. middle, rear) seats, a number of starred "for elite members" seats, and many MCE seats, including exit row.

After selecting my seat (MCE, for example), I'm brought to the payment screen, where I can hold or pay. I can go as far through the process as possible without actually buying the ticket, and at no point are extra charges added (it's just 20k + $5.60 regardless of what seat I pick).

1) Why can I choose these seats? Is this expected?

2) Will AA later change my seat if I book one of these?

jay_dubya May 2, 2017 9:54 am

Originally Posted by monkeys (Post 28256882)
I'm probably completely missing something but I'm confused - from skimming over this thread, it seems that MCE seats should not be available on an award booking, but I *am* able to choose them (as well as the starred seats that are "for elite members").

I have no status at all with AA, and this is a coach award ticket (20k miles) from JFK to LAX. I do have the Aviator Red credit card.

On the seat selection screen I can choose between a couple "normal" (i.e. middle, rear) seats, a number of starred "for elite members" seats, and many MCE seats, including exit row.

After selecting my seat (MCE, for example), I'm brought to the payment screen, where I can hold or pay. I can go as far through the process as possible without actually buying the ticket, and at no point are extra charges added (it's just 20k + $5.60 regardless of what seat I pick).

1) Why can I choose these seats? Is this expected?

2) Will AA later change my seat if I book one of these?

A 20k domestic coach ticket is a full fare Y ticket which entitles you to free MCE seats. The inability to choose mce seats is limited to saver awards

monkeys May 2, 2017 9:58 am

Originally Posted by jay_dubya (Post 28256934)
A 20k domestic coach ticket is a full fare Y ticket which entitles you to free MCE seats. The inability to choose mce seats is limited to saver awards

Ahhh...got it. Not a horrible consolation prize for having to pay 20k for coach I guess (it is Memorial Day weekend after all). Thanks!

ijgordon May 2, 2017 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by monkeys (Post 28256958)
Ahhh...got it. Not a horrible consolation prize for having to pay 20k for coach I guess (it is Memorial Day weekend after all). Thanks!

20k actually seems like a pretty decent deal, especially since it includes MCE. I hadn't looked at the domestic chart in a while, I thought it was always 25k/50k r/t saver/anytime. Now I see the Anytimes were split into 40/60k. Somewhat surprised the holiday weekend didn't bump it up, IIRC, the different Anytime levels are predetermined for specific dates, and don't really change all that much (i.e., not dependent upon specific inventory availability).

JonNYC Jun 13, 2017 9:36 am

Originally Posted by JonNYC (Post 22924059)
It's a limitation whereby if they can't charge on an award lest it lead to other taxes/fees and the system can't work with it. It's most definitely officially in the category of "something we want to fix and will fix, but haven't as of yet."

Couple 'a years later, onemileatatime reports this finally implemented.

cheltzel Jun 13, 2017 10:53 am

Originally Posted by JonNYC (Post 28437012)
Couple 'a years later, onemileatatime reports this finally implemented.

Do you mean that I (a lowlife status-less kettle) can book a main cabin award and purchase MCE now?

JonNYC Jun 13, 2017 11:24 am

Originally Posted by cheltzel (Post 28437363)
Do you mean that I (a lowlife status-less kettle) can book a main cabin award and purchase MCE now?

oops, yes, sorry-- I forgot the link:
http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...award-tickets/

turkeyRIOO Jun 13, 2017 3:31 pm

Thanks for the update, I can see it is active on the app.

JonNYC Jul 4, 2017 7:26 pm

Used just now in booking milesaver travel for family, was glad to have the option!

SpammersAreScum Jul 6, 2017 11:03 am

I bought Saver seats for my sister and brother-in-law; my parents bought and got placed in bulkhead seats because he's virtually wheelchair-bound. They are all non-status.

I got bulkhead aisle across from them for myself on the same flight. When I got upgraded yesterday, I contacted my sister so she could grab the seat; she was unable to see it as available. So I called and got her moved for $37; I questioned the fee but since I'm not on that PNR I guess I'm stuck with it?

koctail Jul 6, 2017 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by JonNYC (Post 28520298)
Used just now in booking milesaver travel for family, was glad to have the option!

how much does it cost to upgrade to MCE? is it a flat rate or based upon something else?

dc10forlife Jul 26, 2017 6:51 pm

AA gold here.

Got a paid ticket for me -- DFW to SCL.
3 sAAver award tickets for my family.

If I am reading the wiki correctly, I need to link the PNRs, and then I can call in and pay for MCE seats for all of us? I assume this will be at half price. Can anyone confirm?

dp4m Aug 14, 2017 6:13 am

As a data point, there's possibly some hinkiness going on with the system. AAnytime award booked for my GF, HKG/DFW/LGA (one flight #) -- it wouldn't allow selection of MCE, despite it being wide open. Figured I'd check again closer in and still nada.

Had to call in and the EXP desk couldn't fix it. They called help desk and help desk put THEM on hold to try and fix it. Was eventually fixed, but took about 15 minutes (well worth the time for my GF to hate me less for that flight!) and sounded like some unusual system shenanigans...

Also, unless I'm missing it (always possible) -- it's possible that the FAQ/MCE section regarding AAnytime awards getting it free is gone; I certainly can't seem to find it, only mention of "Full fare Economy tickets" which they may choose to not include AAnytime awards. I'm sure someone well more knowledgeable than I can determine this!

johnasmith Sep 15, 2017 9:04 am

Looks like AA now offers upgrades on MileSaver bookings

I logged on to see my LAX/HTR reservation and looked at my seat assignments. I could see premium seats being offered. I bought the seats I wanted for $80 each.

Larrude Jan 11, 2018 9:20 am

Confusion from non AA flyer

Deleted

alvn Mar 7, 2020 12:02 pm

After I use BA miles or AS miles to book tickets on AA, would I be able to pay for "Main Cabin Extra" seats? Also, would I be able to pay for "Priority" check-in, security, and boarding?

(If it matters, I have no status on BA, AS, or AA.)

Thanks!