Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Award ticket and MCE / Main Cabin Extra or Premium seat: possible? (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 10, 2015, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Award Ticket and Main Cabin Extra / MCE or Premium Seat

From aa.com:

Award and MCE & Premium Seat FAQ on MCE, on aa.com: Link

Originally Posted by bdemaria
On aa.com, FAQ on MCE:

Q: Can I purchase the new seat product if I am traveling on an AAdvantage MileSAAver Award ticket or Business Extra PlanAAhead ticket?

A: Elite status members may select Main Cabin Extra seats when traveling on MileSAAver or PlanAAhead Award tickets. However, Main Cabin Extra is not available for purchase by non-elite customers traveling on MileSAAver or PlanAAhead Award tickets.
Q: Can I purchase a Main Cabin Extra seat if I am traveling on an AAdvantage AAnytime Award ticket or a Business ExtrAA Anytime Award?

A: Yes. Main Cabin Extra is complimentary to passengers traveling on AAnytime Award tickets.

On a related note: link

Elite member access (purchased ticket)

Main Cabin Extra seats are complimentary for:
  • AAdvantage® Executive Platinum and AAdvantage Platinum members*
  • oneworld® Sapphire and oneworld Emerald members*
  • Customers who purchase a full-fare Main Cabin ticket
  • Alaska Airlines MVP® Gold and MVP® Gold 75K customers*
  • *and up to eight traveling companions on the same reservation
AAdvantage Gold, oneworld Ruby members and Alaska Airlines MVP® customers* may:
  • Purchase Main Cabin Extra seats for 50% off or
  • Enjoy complimentary access within 24 hours of departure when seats are available
*and up to eight traveling companions on the same reservation

Updated 5 Dec 2016 by JDiver

Wikipost: Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)
Print Wikipost

Award ticket and MCE / Main Cabin Extra or Premium seat: possible? (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2014, 1:23 pm

Programs: AA GOLD
The people I talked to didn't say anything about 24 hours. They just said I can't get it on a Milesaaver ticket.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 2:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

With an award ticket , purchase of MCE seating is not permitted. The wording on the website was not adjusted properly when Gold members no longer had complimentary access

If you are entitled to access it for no charge, then you can select it

A gold member can get complimentary access to MCE seating at 24 hours prior to departure , so if you go online at that point, you can select from remaining open seats

The wording issue was something that you had queried here and been accurately informed before calling; why would you expect compensation for an hour that you spent with prior knowledge of the issue?
Old Jun 6, 2014, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
With an award ticket , purchase of MCE seating is not permitted. The wording on the website was not adjusted properly when Gold members no longer had complimentary access

If you are entitled to access it for no charge, then you can select it

A gold member can get complimentary access to MCE seating at 24 hours prior to departure , so if you go online at that point, you can select from remaining open seats

The wording issue was something that you had queried here and been accurately informed before calling; why would you expect compensation for an hour that you spent with prior knowledge of the issue?
Because I do not understand why American is not liable, in some form, for the errors it makes (and acknowledges to have made).
Old Jun 6, 2014, 2:29 pm

Also, the point of this post was to address what I perceived to be a customer service failure, not to question the actual policy itself. That is why I posted it separately and wish that it had not been buried here.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by dupinort
Because I do not understand why American is not liable, in some form, for the errors it makes (and acknowledges to have made).
If you had been wanting to cancel based upon inability to get seating and were wanting the redeposit fee waived I could understand that, however I do not see why would expect compensation if you choose to continue travel based on the rules that actually were in place

You have suffered no loss; you haven't purchased something and not been provided it, just not allowed to purchase it
Old Jun 13, 2014, 11:51 am

what I was told

Hi,

I have Economy MileSAAvers booked for an international trip. Still hoping for Business to open up, as there are very few seats taken. Two weeks ago, an AAdvantage CSR told me that the only way for me to reserve seats in Main Cabin Extra was to have at least Gold Status, which I entertained purchasing with AA Business Extra Points (currently I don't have Status). She then told me that 24 hours prior to my trip all of the seats are released to all passengers and I *may* have a chance at securing those seats if they're still available.

I searched this topic and found this Thread because I wanted to know what the best method of trying to get those seats is: being online and selecting the seats OR calling a representative just before the 24 hour window?

By reading this Thread, it would appear I may have been told inaccurate info. Advice?
Old Jun 13, 2014, 12:04 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
Originally Posted by miles4sheli
Hi,

I have Economy MileSAAvers booked for an international trip. Still hoping for Business to open up, as there are very few seats taken. Two weeks ago, an AAdvantage CSR told me that the only way for me to reserve seats in Main Cabin Extra was to have at least Gold Status, which I entertained purchasing with AA Business Extra Points (currently I don't have Status). She then told me that 24 hours prior to my trip all of the seats are released to all passengers and I *may* have a chance at securing those seats if they're still available.

I searched this topic and found this Thread because I wanted to know what the best method of trying to get those seats is: being online and selecting the seats OR calling a representative just before the 24 hour window?

By reading this Thread, it would appear I may have been told inaccurate info. Advice?
Hang up and call again. There sounds like a lot of misinformation there. 1) Gold members cannot book MCE ahead of time, only at the 24 hour point. 2) All MCE seats are not released to "everyone" at 24 hours....
Old Jun 13, 2014, 2:52 pm

Hi,

As a member with gold status, you would be able to select the MCE seats ( assuming that they are still available ) for no cost 24 hours before departure. You should, I believe, be able to do this online

MCE doesn't become free to those holding no status at 24 hours before departure
Old Jun 13, 2014, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hi,

Calling does not give you advantage. You can check right at the 24 hrs mark and if there are any MCE still available, you will see them and then select whatever you want if you have Gold status.
Old Jul 7, 2014, 2:17 am

Originally Posted by Often1
As I read the AA FAQ on freebie MCE, it is available only to AA elites on MileSaver. This does not include OW equivalents as those are specifically referred to in sections where OW status counts. As an AA Gold, OP would be able to select MCE if still available at T-24.

Q: Can I purchase the new seat product if I am traveling on an AAdvantage MileSAAver Award ticket or Business Extra PlanAAhead ticket?

A: Elite status members may select Main Cabin Extra seats when traveling on MileSAAver or PlanAAhead Award tickets. However, Main Cabin Extra is not available for purchase by non-elite customers traveling on MileSAAver or PlanAAhead Award tickets.
I don't believe that is the case. Also, although I remember when the AA site used to say that, it seems to have been updated.
https://www.aa.com/maincabinextra
Here are the most relevant parts.

Under "Complimentary Access":
AAdvantage® Executive Platinum, AAdvantage® Platinum members and their oneworld® equivalents, as well as Dividend Miles Preferred members* and customers who purchase a full-fare Main Cabin ticket receive complimentary access to Main Cabin Extra seats.
In the FAQs:
A: Yes, Main Cabin Extra is available for purchase when traveling on a Business Extra Plan AAhead ticket. However, Main Cabin Extra is not available to customers traveling on an AAdvantage MileSAAver Award ticket.
Old Jul 7, 2014, 12:20 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
I've done this within the last week, I booked an AA award using my miles, then called and had my FF number changed to my Dividend Miles # (Gold/OW Sapphire). Within minutes of the change I was able to go in and select MCE seats.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 7:58 am

Programs: AA-PLT, HH-GLD, PP
This is not the same situation, but I thought I would post my experience here in case anybody else has the same situation and is looking at this thread:

I booked my family on MileSAAver tickets and me on a revenue ticket, all on the same itinerary. MCE was not showing as available for my family. However, I called AA and they put my family in MCE. The agent said that it was standard practice as long as I was flying the same itinerary.

Just passing this along in case others were not aware.
Old Dec 27, 2014, 9:53 pm

Changing Seats to Preferred/Main Cabin Extra on Award booking - Not available?

Hi all - Just booked an award flight for my daughter and I (US Airways miles on American aircraft) from JFK to Paris to Philadphia.

I had to book it by calling in due to the multiple destinations, and the agent told me to log on to AA to change my seat.

I was interested in purchasing a preferred seat or a Main Cabin Select, however when I log on to AA these seats aren't showing available. I checked the seat chart to confirm that these seats were open for purchase if I did a brand new purchase on their website.

My question is can these seat upgrades be purchased on Award bookings? I appreciate any feedback. Thanks!
Old Dec 27, 2014, 9:57 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by FourSeasonsZach
...My question is can these seat upgrades be purchased on Award bookings?
Unfortunately, they cannot.
Old Dec 27, 2014, 10:06 pm

Thanks for such a quick reply. Is it possible to purchase at check in? That is unfortunate for sure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.