Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Award ticket and MCE / Main Cabin Extra or Premium seat: possible? (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 10, 2015, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Award Ticket and Main Cabin Extra / MCE or Premium Seat

From aa.com:

Award and MCE & Premium Seat FAQ on MCE, on aa.com: Link

Originally Posted by bdemaria
On aa.com, FAQ on MCE:

Q: Can I purchase the new seat product if I am traveling on an AAdvantage MileSAAver Award ticket or Business Extra PlanAAhead ticket?

A: Elite status members may select Main Cabin Extra seats when traveling on MileSAAver or PlanAAhead Award tickets. However, Main Cabin Extra is not available for purchase by non-elite customers traveling on MileSAAver or PlanAAhead Award tickets.
Q: Can I purchase a Main Cabin Extra seat if I am traveling on an AAdvantage AAnytime Award ticket or a Business ExtrAA Anytime Award?

A: Yes. Main Cabin Extra is complimentary to passengers traveling on AAnytime Award tickets.

On a related note: link

Elite member access (purchased ticket)

Main Cabin Extra seats are complimentary for:
  • AAdvantage® Executive Platinum and AAdvantage Platinum members*
  • oneworld® Sapphire and oneworld Emerald members*
  • Customers who purchase a full-fare Main Cabin ticket
  • Alaska Airlines MVP® Gold and MVP® Gold 75K customers*
  • *and up to eight traveling companions on the same reservation
AAdvantage Gold, oneworld Ruby members and Alaska Airlines MVP® customers* may:
  • Purchase Main Cabin Extra seats for 50% off or
  • Enjoy complimentary access within 24 hours of departure when seats are available
*and up to eight traveling companions on the same reservation

Updated 5 Dec 2016 by JDiver

Wikipost: Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)
Print Wikipost

Award ticket and MCE / Main Cabin Extra or Premium seat: possible? (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2016, 7:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I seem to recall that there was potentially some issue with flights that should AA charge for the seating , that taxes would become applicable on US journeys, so would need to recalculate taxes as well as the seat fee
Old Jun 30, 2016, 1:26 am

FTC Act, unfair/deceptive

Someone replied, asking where is the unfair or deceptive bit.

https://www.federalreserve.gov/board...l/cch/ftca.pdf

Basically, when the customer has no real choice (i.e. effectively the whole industry behaves a certain way and/or there is not real competitive choice in a market), and a promised value is not delivered or is meaningfully reduced (read, pretty much all "loyalty" programs in recent years), it is within the FTC's authority to declare the practice unfair or deceptive.

Except I'm not sure that the FTC (one of the world's most powerful and most active regulators) has competence over air travel; that might be the DOT, which is not a hugely effective regulator.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 1:28 am

Originally Posted by CPRich
OP doesn't get to do what (s)he wants, therefore unfair....
I respectfully disagree. What the OP (me) wants is to pay for something. What the OP gets is an unexplained, not apparently sensible restriction on being able to give a business more money in return for more service.

That's hardly "OP wants, OP doesn't get, wah wah wah!".
Rather, as I posted, it's "Why would a business reject extra income?" A fairly legitimate business theory question, I believe
Old Jun 30, 2016, 2:42 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by SpammersAreScum
I keep reading that, and have parroted it myself, but I have to wonder: Is the claim based on any real knowledge, or is it just an assumption that the fault lies with IT as opposed to policy?
I originally made the claim and I know it for a fact.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 8:52 am

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by libove
... and a promised value is not delivered or is meaningfully reduced ...
Here's the part I don't understand. AA never promised that you could buy MCE on an award ticket.

Sure, you can maybe make a case concerning the overall changes. But your specific claim that AA's no-buying-MCE-on-award is "unfair and deceptive" baffled me and still does.

Originally Posted by libove
I respectfully disagree. What the OP (me) wants is to pay for something. What the OP gets is an unexplained, not apparently sensible restriction on being able to give a business more money in return for more service.

That's hardly "OP wants, OP doesn't get, wah wah wah!".
Rather, as I posted, it's "Why would a business reject extra income?" A fairly legitimate business theory question, I believe
That's not what you posted. It is a legitimate question, though, and has been given an answer which doesn't support an "unfair and deceptive" view.

Originally Posted by JonNYC
I originally made the claim and I know it for a fact.
Ok, thanks.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 1:39 am

Apologies if I was unclear. My intent was to say that the whole way the airlines are operating loyalty programs might fall into the unfair and/or deceptive area. Not that, specifically, not selling paid upgrades from sh*t award seats to slightly less sh*tty coach seats is unfair or deceptive. (Just sucky :) ). The overall picture.

cheers,

Originally Posted by SpammersAreScum
Here's the part I don't understand. AA never promised that you could buy MCE on an award ticket.

Sure, you can maybe make a case concerning the overall changes. But your specific claim that AA's no-buying-MCE-on-award is "unfair and deceptive" baffled me and still does.

That's not what you posted. It is a legitimate question, though, and has been given an answer which doesn't support an "unfair and deceptive" view.

Ok, thanks.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 2:29 am

Programs: AA EP
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I seem to recall that there was potentially some issue with flights that should AA charge for the seating , that taxes would become applicable on US journeys, so would need to recalculate taxes as well as the seat fee
Ding. Ding. Ding. Winner.
Once new merchandising and a fee can be charged outside of the ticket with a non-ticket (why does the term eVoucher come to mind) then we might see this ability.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 8:19 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Dave Noble

This was where:
Originally Posted by JonNYC
It's a limitation whereby if they can't charge on an award lest it lead to other taxes/fees and the system can't work with it. It's most definitely officially in the category of "something we want to fix and will fix, but haven't as of yet."
Old Jul 1, 2016, 8:39 am

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Thank you all for the explanations.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 7:38 am

Programs: AA & jetBlue
Originally Posted by AAExecPlatFlier
Ding. Ding. Ding. Winner.
Once new merchandising and a fee can be charged outside of the ticket with a non-ticket (why does the term eVoucher come to mind) then we might see this ability.
I flew an award Delta ticket on AF to Thaiti, purchased a preferred seat after booking with no issues, could even do it on Delta's site for the AF flight, unlike AA's inability to have seat selection for other carriers as well.

Just booked an award to LHR and would have gladly paid the extra dollars for a two seat row on the 77W. If its a tax reason, why can Delta figure it out, but not AA?
Old Oct 19, 2016, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They have different IT systems.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 10:11 pm

Programs: AA & jetBlue
Originally Posted by ijgordon
They have different IT systems.
So, its not a tax issue. Its an AA has a far inferior system issue.
Old Oct 29, 2016, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flymia
So, its not a tax issue. Its an AA has a far inferior system issue.
Well, it's sort of both, in that it's an AA inferior system issue regarding tax.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 12:07 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
MileSAAver - ask or buy MCE / Main Cabin Extra?

Trying to book a First/Business MileSAAver award ticket - on one leg there is no Z inventory right now, so it puts you into coach - that's fine, but I'm curious how this doesn't let you choose MCE (or even Preferred) seats in coach at this award level.

Am I missing something? Seems a bit not-so-cool.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 12:11 pm

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
Originally Posted by engineroom
Trying to book a First/Business MileSAAver award ticket - on one leg there is no Z inventory right now, so it puts you into coach - that's fine, but I'm curious how this doesn't let you choose MCE (or even Preferred) seats in coach at this award level.

Am I missing something? Seems a bit not-so-cool.
Plat and EXP can pick MCE at booking. Gold MCE window opens at T-24hrs I believe. It's irrelevant that your other flights are in J.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.