Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

LAA Boeing 757 (domestic config) first class cabin seats (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2013, 4:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, EY Gold.

Hey all,

I am a relative newbie to AA although I have a lot of upcoming flights within the US as I will be posted there with my job for six months.

Several have already been booked (F Class) and i'm in the process of selecting my seats on AA.com. Most of my flights are in the three to five hour range, many seemingly on the 757. My natural tendency on such flights with 'recliner seats' would be to choose row 1 given the choice. Always saves someone elses seat reclined in front of me and having to disturb them to negotiate my way to bathroom etc.

I notice on seatguru that they issue a 'caution' for all of row 1 with the message 'the proximity of the bulkhead may be bothersome'. I always check seatguru for assistance in choosing seats and have never noticed such a message....it generally lists the drawbacks of row 1 being the proximity to the bathroom or galley.

So my question is, is there a real disadvantage being at row 1 on the 757 because of the bulkhead? Is it some kind of 'unique' bulkhead lol that protudes into the cabin or something? Am I better off selecting a non row 1 seat?

Many Thanks guys!

Last edited by JDiver; Mar 10, 2013 at 11:29 am Reason: restore original post title
Old Mar 10, 2013, 6:16 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT PLT 2.6MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by duckied
Hey all,

I am a relative newbie to AA although I have a lot of upcoming flights within the US as I will be posted there with my job for six months.

Several have already been booked (F Class) and i'm in the process of selecting my seats on AA.com. Most of my flights are in the three to five hour range, many seemingly on the 757. My natural tendency on such flights with 'recliner seats' would be to choose row 1 given the choice. Always saves someone elses seat reclined in front of me and having to disturb them to negotiate my way to bathroom etc.

I notice on seatguru that they issue a 'caution' for all of row 1 with the message 'the proximity of the bulkhead may be bothersome'. I always check seatguru for assistance in choosing seats and have never noticed such a message....it generally lists the drawbacks of row 1 being the proximity to the bathroom or galley.

So my question is, is there a real disadvantage being at row 1 on the 757 because of the bulkhead? Is it some kind of 'unique' bulkhead lol that protudes into the cabin or something? Am I better off selecting a non row 1 seat?

Many Thanks guys!
I don't have a problem with it, but I am only 5'3 so I'm sure those who are taller than me may have a different opinion. Also, as far as row 1 is concerned, I am not sure if there is much of a difference between the domestic 757's that have gone through the cabin improvement program (CIP) and have 24F seats and those that have not (22F seats). I hardly ever sit in row 1 for FEBO reasons as well as the fact that you need to put everything in the overhead bin, and if I were you I would consider both. Selecting your meal online just isn't reliable at this point, (see other thread) so sitting in the first row of a six row F cabin on an odd numbered flight is almost guaranteeing that you won't get your meal choice.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 9:21 am

I can't say whether bulkhead on the 752 is good or bad. It is just like any other aircraft. If you do a search regarding the 752 that American uses, some love them, some hate them.

I would be more concerned with an aircraft change and losing my FC seat. Like every good airline, American does not start off with Row 1 on all of it's aircraft. Some start with Row 1, Row 2 or even Row 3. If you decide on the bulkhead seat, Row 1, on the 757 and there is an aircraft swap without a Row 1 you may or may not have a seat in the FC cabin. I have read this happens on occasion. More so if further back in the FC cabin.

It is all a game that is fun to play. If your interested in meal service, then you may want to pick your seat based upon FEBO. Like akarneboge mentioned, with the new meal selection prior to departure being worked into the system, FEBO may become a thing of the past.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 9:39 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
At 5'11", bulkheads don't have enough legroom. I'll sacrifice a FEBO-friendly position to avoid it. It's not really aircraft-specific. They pretty much all suck.

By the way, if you look in the FAQ (where it says "Please check here first") you'll find discussions of seats and plane and all AA aircraft. I would think that someone new to AA would want to check out the information FAQ where very basic questions like this might be expected to be covered. Certainly beats asking the same basic questions over and over again.

Cheers.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 10:48 am

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Originally Posted by brp
At 5'11", bulkheads don't have enough legroom. I'll sacrifice a FEBO-friendly position to avoid it. It's not really aircraft-specific. They pretty much all suck.

By the way, if you look in the FAQ (where it says "Please check here first") you'll find discussions of seats and plane and all AA aircraft. I would think that someone new to AA would want to check out the information FAQ where very basic questions like this might be expected to be covered. Certainly beats asking the same basic questions over and over again.

Cheers.
A rare event when I disagree with brp, but I prefer the bulkhead. Also at 5'11", my pros and cons of the 757 specifically, and bulkhead in general: CAVEAT-I may be one of 3 people on FT that actually likes the 757, also not-so-lovingly referred to as "galley slave ships".

Cons:
1. Bulkhead in the US requires nothing at your feet for take off and landing. Thus if one wants to have a reasonable assurance that one's carry ons will be in the same zip code (post code), be way towards the front of initial F boarding.
2. Legroom is a personal preference, perhaps based on how one sits. I tend to sit with my legs crossed, so leg room is not an issue.
3. TBA

Pros:
1a. One of the 1st to exit (with 757, there are 2-4 airport exceptions in the AA system, where 2L is used). Important if running behind, IRROPS w/no cell, ........

1b. This 1st to exit thing can become very important in those rare instances where egress is by slide, rather than jetway. (-Perhaps more of an experience based opinion-)

2. I don't fly to eat, so FEBO, for me, is irrelevant.

3. PDB-YMMV

4. FSLS (Beverages-First Served, Last Served).

5. TBA

Last edited by Dallas49er; Mar 10, 2013 at 10:55 am
Old Mar 10, 2013, 11:22 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
There was one configuration - maybe the TWA 757-231s that were sold off to DL because they had PW2037, not AA Rolls Royce RB211, engines? - that had an indented footbox contraption at floor level. These are long gone, and iirc they seemed to have slightly less seat pitch than the AA -223.

Doesn't show the foot box, but...

Dallas49er pretty much sums up the bulkhead issue. As a 6'3" / 193 cm guy, I prefer non-bulkhead so I can put my rollaboard in the overhead (I can't recall if the 757 has the forward overhead compartment is occupied by safety gear, but on many aircraft this is typical), and my "personal item" under the seat in front of me.

And unfortunately, seatguru is often not on the mark.

Another thread of interest to you: Boeing 757 (752) Refurb Domestic Config / New Seats as of Oct 2009 (consolidated) . This "CIP" (Cabin Improvement Program) has apparently not yet been completed - I have ridden two "Eisenhower" beige pleated leather no headrest seat F cabin 757-223s quite recently.

As there is no current thread on the 757 domestic First Class cabin / seats, this thread has been retitled and rededicated. /Moderator

Last edited by JDiver; Mar 10, 2013 at 3:02 pm Reason: add photo
Old Mar 10, 2013, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Dallas49er
1b. This 1st to exit thing can become very important in those rare instances where egress is by slide, rather than jetway. (-Perhaps more of an experience based opinion-)
Sounds like there is a story here.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've got the pick of the cabin on this AA domestic 757 in FC and I was thinking of Row 1 but I've read here the legroom is restricted and I'm 6'1 tall. To put it in perspective I would generally not sit in Row 3 on a 737 because the legroom is too tight and you don't have the little drinks tray which I find useful. Is it basically the same situation on the 757 so I should choose row 2? I was a little concerned that when the pax in front reclines his/her seat I would be stuck.

On a US 757 I can choose 1AC or 2DF or 4DF. Everything else taken. What would be the recommendation?

Thanks!
Old Mar 24, 2015, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by hugolover
I've got the pick of the cabin on this AA domestic 757 in FC and I was thinking of Row 1 but I've read here the legroom is restricted and I'm 6'1 tall. To put it in perspective I would generally not sit in Row 3 on a 737 because the legroom is too tight and you don't have the little drinks tray which I find useful. Is it basically the same situation on the 757 so I should choose row 2? I was a little concerned that when the pax in front reclines his/her seat I would be stuck.

On a US 757 I can choose 1AC or 2DF or 4DF. Everything else taken. What would be the recommendation?

Thanks!
Can't really speak for the US 757 as I don't fly that, ever. On the AA 757, I don't really care for the bulkhead. If you don't like it on the 737, I don't think you'll really find it much better on the 757. With that said, the 757 is definitely my favorite domestic aircraft. Anything from row 2 aft is fine. I generally don't like to sit in 6 on long flights, just because you have a constant slamming of the mid-cabin lav door behind you.

On the NGBC configured 757 (only 4 rows) I actually really like row 1, but you stated you're on the domestic aircraft. Also, there's an additional little drinks tray that folds out from the armrest (if you didn't already realize that).
Old Mar 25, 2015, 9:23 am

If this is a standard Eisenhower (brown) seat AA 757 then I would not choose the bulkhead seat. I am in the same boat as you height-wise and have the same dislike of the 737 bulkhead, and 757 is the same issue.

I flew the domestic 757 DFW-ANC, so pretty darn far, and had no issues with legroom due to pax reclining in front. I was in 4B. Here's a picture.

Ehh, no perfect choice there. I'd go last row over bulkhead but that's me. Is this a sleeping flight where recline is of essence? Definitely aisle.
Old Mar 25, 2015, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by arlflyer
If this is a standard Eisenhower (brown) seat AA 757 then I would not choose the bulkhead seat. I am in the same boat as you height-wise and have the same dislike of the 737 bulkhead, and 757 is the same issue.
It seems as though the last of the 22 F Eisenhower 757s may have been retired. All seat maps now seem to be showing the 24 F refurb aircraft.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 2:31 am

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by cmd320
It seems as though the last of the 22 F Eisenhower 757s may have been retired. All seat maps now seem to be showing the 24 F refurb aircraft.
There are still 8 in service.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 1:49 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt LT Global Elitist, Bonvyoed LT Titanium, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Do all Domestic 757's have Wifi?
Old Jun 9, 2015, 3:43 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by roder
Do all Domestic 757's have Wifi?
All but one, according to the inflight magazine.

There are currently 4 aircraft remaining with the Eisenhower-era premium cabin.

I was lucky enough to fly on one yesterday as a last-minute equipment swap from the original international 757!
Old Jun 9, 2015, 10:17 pm

Programs: UAL, AA, AS, CX
Even at 5ft 11 - Im not a fan of row 1 on the 757. Id prefer to stretch out my legs with no incumberances.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.