Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Change FFN / frequent flyer number on AA booking? (master thread)

Old Jul 5, 2017, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Changing a Frequent Flyer Number on AA Bookings
You may find the Frequent Flyer Number area grayed out, or be unable to change FFN online via aa.com. Alternatives:

Call AA reservations at 800-433-7300.

Tweet @AmericanAir and ask the Twitter team to do it - though the best way is to have them follow you first and then send them a DM to keep your information private.

Request the FFN change at the check-in counter or, if you arrive before they get very busy, the gate.

Using the Finnair or Royal Jordanian website to change your FFN seems to no longer work. (AA use Sabre, several other one world airlines use Amadeus.)

NOTE: If switching from AAdvantage to another scheme's FFN, please be aware: Benefitting from a privilege granted for your AAdvantage status and changing your FFN to earn on another airline is generally prohibited by AAdvantage Terms and Conditions. Doing so might risk that benefit (e.g. upgrade).

From the AAdvantage Terms and Conditions (link)

Earning AAdvantage Miles

"You cannot accrue partner airline miles with your partner frequent flyer number if you have already used your AAdvantage number to obtain AAdvantage program benefits such as First or Business Class upgrades, baggage fee waivers or complimentary access to Preferred/Main Cabin Extra seats. Additionally, you cannot redeem partner airline miles with your partner frequent flyer number and obtain AAdvantage program benefits such as priority boarding and access to preferred seats."

Older and obsolete posts have been moved to ARCHIVE: Changing FFN / Frequent Flyer Number on AA Bookings

Updated 5 Jul 2017 by JDiver
Print Wikipost

Change FFN / frequent flyer number on AA booking? (master thread)

Old Jul 24, 2018, 6:12 pm

And you called AA?
Old Jul 24, 2018, 7:02 pm
mgm

Originally Posted by Tommys888
I am wondering, if I use BA miles to get a flight on JAL, can I still add my AA to enjoy OWE benefits?
Currently, you can change your FF# via the JAL website Manage Booking page. I did this recently to change my AA# to my QF#.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by decerbod
And you called AA?
Yes. I did that yesterday. Called AA to change my AA# to my BAEC# (for AA flights, booked through AA.)
decerbod likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 5:08 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, Aadvantage, Skymiles, Marriott, Priority Club, SPG, Amtrak, Hertz
Well I managed to change my add my AA# to an avios booked ticket about a month ago. The ticket is associated with my AA# everywhere (qantas, royal jordanian, finnair, ba) except for AA, which still shows by BAEC#. Not sure if I should wait and see or try to change it back. Thoughts?
Old Aug 5, 2018, 3:18 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Kay_nyc
Well I managed to change my add my AA# to an avios booked ticket about a month ago. The ticket is associated with my AA# everywhere (qantas, royal jordanian, finnair, ba) except for AA, which still shows by BAEC#. Not sure if I should wait and see or try to change it back. Thoughts?
How were you able to do that? I just tried via Twitter and was told no.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 4:15 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, Aadvantage, Skymiles, Marriott, Priority Club, SPG, Amtrak, Hertz
Originally Posted by justhere
How were you able to do that? I just tried via Twitter and was told no.
I used one of the other OneWorld Airlines (Finnair, I think). That said, on AA.com, it still has my BAEC number, so it did not work.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 8:48 am

Programs: BA Silver, VIPorter, VIA Preference: Privilčge, Air Canada Aeroplan
Seem to be experiencing a similar issue here. Booked on an AA flight and mis-entered my BAEC number - one wrong digit. Now seems impossible to change it?
Old Aug 19, 2018, 12:48 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by williamn78
Seem to be experiencing a similar issue here. Booked on an AA flight and mis-entered my BAEC number - one wrong digit. Now seems impossible to change it?
You booked an award ticket or a revenue ticket?
Old Aug 24, 2018, 8:18 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
That didn't work

Booked a mileage run back in March 2018, for August 22, LAX-MIA-SJU-MIA-LAX.

Three hours before the LAX-MIA segment, inside the Flagship Lounge, asked the representative to replace the AAdvantage FFN with the BAEC FFN, so the trip credited to BA. Confused expression, brought over second representative, task completed (so I thought).

While boarding that first flight, telephoned EXP desk, and confirmed that entire itinerary was linked to my BAEC FFN, for credit to that program. EXP agent confirmed.

Morning of August 24, noticed that LAX-MIA-SJU portion of journey credited to AAdvantage. Argh. Telephoned EXP desk; agent said both AA and BA FFN's shown on itinerary. After confirming that I had not used upgrades to get into the next class of service (purchased a discount "I" ticket), EXP agent removed the AAdvantage credit and sent note to BA regarding the necessary credit to BAEC.

EXP agent said in the future, best way to ensure success is to construct flight itinerary on AA.com as a guest, then add BAEC number at the very end. Hmmmmmm. What I don't like about that is the fact that the itinerary does not show up automatically when you login to AA.com in the future. You have to search for the itinerary to make it appear.
Venezuela-Miami likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 2:13 pm

Success changing from BA to AA number at Finnair

Data point... just booked CX biz award intra-Asia with BA avios at BA website. Went to Finnair and was able to change my FF number to AA (OneWorld sapphire). Both the BA and CX manage-my-booking sites now show my AA number.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 8:07 am

Programs: Lawl COVID
Anybody had any success at all getting American to credit to another FFP after the segments have posted to AA?

My situation: "Paid" F (actually a Y-UP ), thought I'd put in the FFP I wanted it to credit to (Cathay), but apparently that didn't take. At the end of the flight, the AA miles/EQS/EQD showed up.

On the return, I asked the check-in agent to switch to the correct FFP number. It took, and shows up on my printed boarding pass, but AA credited the miles to AAdvantage anyway.

I know the right answer is "call" (unless it's "you're SOL"), but what should I say? I didn't use any FF perks, I only fly AA because they're in OneWorld and their EQS/EQD are absolutely meaningless to me.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 2:47 pm

If the boarding pass shows CXthen contact Cathay and request the miles including copy of the BP

DAK
Old Nov 30, 2018, 6:18 pm

Apparently they've taken "Additionally, you cannot redeem partner airline miles with your partner frequent flyer number and obtain AAdvantage program benefits such as priority boarding and access to preferred seats" to include "Per the rules of the AAdvantage program, you're not allowed to attach your AAdvantage number to an Other Airline award ticket". Note, that the initial flight was booked through a partner airline, using a AA #, not added after the fact.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 4:44 pm

Programs: United 1MM 1K, KLM/AF Plat, BA Gold, Marriott Plat
Changing to Avios FF Number on an AA reservation

How hard is it to change the frequent flyer associated with an AA booking to another one world carrier like BA/IB Avios? Can't seem to change that online by logging into my AA account. I'm hoping this is something I can do at the airport during checkin?

Because of a lot of European travel I've decided that I'd rather be a frequent flyer in BA/IB's program than AA.

Thanks!
Old Feb 17, 2019, 5:02 pm

Programs: BA- blue, BD,DL
Have you tried doing it on the Finnair site. That can work. Or try Qatar or Royal Jordanian.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.