Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AirPass Prepaid Travel (ne AAirpass, not Lifetime Airpass) Master Thread

AirPass Prepaid Travel (ne AAirpass, not Lifetime Airpass) Master Thread

    Hide Wikipost
Old May 25, 22, 7:47 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: Shawn02139
Wiki Link
American Airlines AirPass PrePaid Travel

NOTE: The program is Airpass; no longer named "AAirpass"
Link to AirPass front page

Link to aa.com AirPass contact and links page.

Prepaid, Unrestricted Air Travel at a Fixed Rate

As an AirPass member, you wont have to search for fares or pay extra for last-minute trips. Your airfare is pre-paid at a fixed rate and your account is ready when you need to travel to any of the more than 350 destinations in the combined American Airlines and US Airways network.
AirPass offers significant savings on fares (as well as guaranteed last seat availability) for flyers who know they will fly a lot but find themselves buying expensive last minute walk-up level fares.

AirPass, depending on level of purchase, includes status and may include up to Executive Platinum status and Admirals Club membership, or even Concierge Key, which includes both.

AirPass members get a courtesy drink and a snack if they're traveling in Coach, much as Executive Platinums do; unlike Executive Platinums, their traveling companion does also.

14 Jan 2016 jmappleby said: "...they take credit via wire transfer at $10k (Gold), $20k (Platinum), $30k (EP). Concierge Key is available for $50k individual spend or $75k team spend."
AirPass can be for different classes of service, and except for "PlanAAhead Economy", book into Y, J or F classes (and in 2016 will earn AA Elite Qualifying Miles at Y, J or F levels) and for Economy AirPass flyers offers "instant upgrade" fares that book into A for First or D for Business. These may not be available on all routes, however, and the legal routes may change during your contract.

Contact AirPass

AirPass Customer Service
800-433-6355
817-931-9029 - Fax

Monday - Friday
8 a.m. - 5 p.m. (CT)

Send us a letter
FedEX / UPS / Overnight mail
American Airlines
AirPass Customer Service
4255 Amon Carter Blvd.
MD 4106
Fort Worth, TX 76155

U.S mail
American Airlines, Inc.
AirPass Customer Service
P.O. Box 619616
MD 4106
DFW Airport, TX 75261-9616
You can get indicative pricing here: https://airpass.aa.com/vt-customer/c...ervations.html
The best deal seems to be the -UP fares, where you pay the standard economy, but book a confirmed seat into business
Print Wikipost

Old Nov 6, 22, 9:24 am
  #916  
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: DCA
Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Ambassador, B6 Mosaic, SBUX Gold, Best Buy Elite
Posts: 1,829
Is it possible today before purchasing airpass if a yup fare is available? Is there. a particular bucket I can search for on expertflyer? Also, how are LQPs earned on air pass tickets? Is it based on fare paid and the multiplier for my status?
ellinj is offline  
Old Nov 6, 22, 10:24 am
  #917  
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Programs: AA: CK
Posts: 1,908
Originally Posted by ellinj View Post
Is it possible today before purchasing airpass if a yup fare is available? Is there. a particular bucket I can search for on expertflyer? Also, how are LQPs earned on air pass tickets? Is it based on fare paid and the multiplier for my status?
Airpass YUP books into D, R or I at the price of Airpass Y. Some unique international routings require I, but 99% of the time, it will book into any of the three, whichever is lower and available. No price difference.

LQP are earned the same way. $ times elite multiplier.
BlooJoo is offline  
Old Nov 6, 22, 3:49 pm
  #918  
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: DCA
Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Ambassador, B6 Mosaic, SBUX Gold, Best Buy Elite
Posts: 1,829
Originally Posted by BlooJoo View Post
Airpass YUP books into D, R or I at the price of Airpass Y. Some unique international routings require I, but 99% of the time, it will book into any of the three, whichever is lower and available. No price difference.

LQP are earned the same way. $ times elite multiplier.

So if I see D or R inventory for a domestic flight, that should mean I can get the YUP paying Airpass Y?
ellinj is offline  
Old Nov 6, 22, 3:55 pm
  #919  
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Programs: AA: CK
Posts: 1,908
Originally Posted by ellinj View Post
So if I see D or R inventory for a domestic flight, that should mean I can get the YUP paying Airpass Y?
Yup. If connecting, youll need D, R or I for all flights.
BlooJoo is offline  
Old Nov 8, 22, 7:19 am
  #920  
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Washington DC
Programs: BA GLD, AA GLD 1MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LT Titanium
Posts: 1,518
Can AirPass tickets be credited to another program? Found a thread with this question in 2014 but no recent information.

AirPass pricing seems attractive to me, however I would probably only want the $10k level. I already have BA Silver (soon to be Gold) so would prefer to use and maintain that status.

If I were to buy AirPass, does anyone have any experience crediting to another program like BA?
River in Sight is offline  
Old Nov 8, 22, 8:34 am
  #921  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: STL/ORD/SAN
Programs: AA CK, AC SE100K, BA Silver, accidental DL FO, Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, AmEx PLT
Posts: 1,890
Originally Posted by River in Sight View Post
Can AirPass tickets be credited to another program? Found a thread with this question in 2014 but no recent information.

AirPass pricing seems attractive to me, however I would probably only want the $10k level. I already have BA Silver (soon to be Gold) so would prefer to use and maintain that status.

If I were to buy AirPass, does anyone have any experience crediting to another program like BA?
Airpass flights credit to your AAdvantage account.

When you go through the booking process for Airpass, there is no option to change the frequent flyer number to another airline's loyalty program. The boxes for program and FF number are greyed out and cannot be modified.

I'm not sure what would happen if you tried to change your AA to BA number some other way (like asking an agent to do it at the airport just prior to departure), but I'm fairly certain AA's intention is not to allow that. I'd have to double check my contract, but there may even be some language there about the flights crediting to AA. (As an aside, previously, companion tickets would also be credited to the primary Airpass account holder's AA frequent flyer account, but now all passengers on a reservation earn their own miles/loyalty points, but those are still earned solely with AA.)

So, short answer, no -- everything credits to the respective personal AAdvantage account(s) of the individual(s) flying on Airpass, and you cannot change it to another airline during the booking process.

Originally Posted by ellinj View Post
So if I see D or R inventory for a domestic flight, that should mean I can get the YUP paying Airpass Y?
Generally, yes. Just make sure that, if it's a connecting itinerary, you're looking at the whole itinerary on EF, rather than individual flights (basically the opposite of what you'd do if you were searching SWU availability), because married segment logic does still apply to Airpass reservations.

In other words, you could pull up each flight of a two flight itinerary and might see J2D1I1 or something like that, but when you look at the whole connection, the same flight might be J2D0I0, and only full fare J (Airpass Business / domestic First, but not Instant Upgrade) will be available for purchase.

Last edited by Microwave; Dec 2, 22 at 12:06 pm Reason: Merged consecutive posts for readability
metallo is online now  
Old Nov 8, 22, 8:45 am
  #922  
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Programs: AA: CK
Posts: 1,908
Originally Posted by metallo View Post
Generally, yes. Just make sure that, if it's a connecting itinerary, you're looking at the whole itinerary on EF, rather than individual flights (basically the opposite of what you'd do if you were searching SWU availability), because married segment logic does still apply to Airpass reservations.

In other words, you could pull up each flight of a two flight itinerary and might see J2D1I1 or something like that, but when you look at the whole connection, the same flight might be J2D0I0, and only full fare J (Airpass Business / domestic First, but not Instant Upgrade) will be available for purchase.
Yes, good point.

Originally Posted by metallo View Post
Airpass flights credit to your AAdvantage account.

When you go through the booking process for Airpass, there is no option to change the frequent flyer number to another airline's loyalty program. The boxes for program and FF number are greyed out and cannot be modified.

I'm not sure what would happen if you tried to change your AA to BA number some other way (like asking an agent to do it at the airport just prior to departure), but I'm fairly certain AA's intention is not to allow that. I'd have to double check my contract, but there may even be some language there about the flights crediting to AA. (As an aside, previously, companion tickets would also be credited to the primary Airpass account holder's AA frequent flyer account, but now all passengers on a reservation earn their own miles/loyalty points, but those are still earned solely with AA.)

So, short answer, no -- everything credits to the respective personal AAdvantage account(s) of the individual(s) flying on Airpass, and you cannot change it to another airline during the booking process.
That's right. If you tried to change to a BA number at the gate/lounge, it may work, but you're violating your contract, and putting your funds at risk, even if it works. Not worth the risk.

Last edited by Microwave; Dec 2, 22 at 12:03 pm Reason: Merged consecutive posts for readability
BlooJoo is offline  
Old Nov 9, 22, 7:08 am
  #923  
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Washington DC
Programs: BA GLD, AA GLD 1MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LT Titanium
Posts: 1,518
Originally Posted by metallo View Post
Airpass flights credit to your AAdvantage account.
Originally Posted by BlooJoo View Post
That's right. If you tried to change to a BA number at the gate/lounge, it may work, but you're violating your contract, and putting your funds at risk, even if it works. Not worth the risk.
Shoot, too bad. Thanks for the feedback. I typically buy discount first and it seems the Airpass pricing Y-Up is very similar to what I usually pay on my normal routes, except more broadly available (instead of hunting for availability at certain times of day). However, I don't think I want to give up my BA status in exchange.
River in Sight is offline  
Old Nov 9, 22, 8:48 am
  #924  
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Isle of Man/East Palo Alto
Programs: AA - CK/Airpass
Posts: 220
When did the guest start earning miles themselves? Ive mostly flown solo on my airpass bookings but this somewhat disappointing as Id prefer to get the LPs rather than my better half, whose primary airline is KLM.
wutlol is offline  
Old Nov 9, 22, 10:34 am
  #925  
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: STL/ORD/SAN
Programs: AA CK, AC SE100K, BA Silver, accidental DL FO, Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, AmEx PLT
Posts: 1,890
Originally Posted by wutlol View Post
When did the guest start earning miles themselves? Ive mostly flown solo on my airpass bookings but this somewhat disappointing as Id prefer to get the LPs rather than my better half, whose primary airline is KLM.
This change occurred when they switched to the Next Gen Airpass, which was maybe late 2020 or early 2021, if I recall correctly.

I actually had a couple of agents ticket Airpass reservations over the phone when I was traveling with someone around the time of the changeover, and they were still putting my AAdvantage number in for the companion, which resulted in the itineraries never ticketing properly (with Next Gen, ticketing also became instant, but these reservations ended up being stuck in ticketing limbo).

I think some more experienced agents had probably just been used to doing it that way for years, but the system apparently now detects if your AAdvantage number is duplicated for the companion and wont allow it.
metallo is online now  
Old Nov 9, 22, 6:54 pm
  #926  
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Isle of Man/East Palo Alto
Programs: AA - CK/Airpass
Posts: 220
Originally Posted by metallo View Post
This change occurred when they switched to the Next Gen Airpass, which was maybe late 2020 or early 2021, if I recall correctly.

I actually had a couple of agents ticket Airpass reservations over the phone when I was traveling with someone around the time of the changeover, and they were still putting my AAdvantage number in for the companion, which resulted in the itineraries never ticketing properly (with Next Gen, ticketing also became instant, but these reservations ended up being stuck in ticketing limbo).

I think some more experienced agents had probably just been used to doing it that way for years, but the system apparently now detects if your AAdvantage number is duplicated for the companion and wont allow it.
I think main reason Im bummed is when I will be flying with her soon, some of our flights will hit the 75k LP cap and the companion earning would have ameliorated some of the sting. Oh well - I suppose I should look at this as a way to ensure she now has top status in two air alliances!
wutlol is offline  
Old Nov 28, 22, 11:24 pm
  #927  
 
Join Date: Nov 2022
Posts: 1
Shared plan companion?

Does anyone with a business or shared plan know if a member can bring a companion (similar to the individual plans)? TIA!
Tapaphilly is offline  
Old Nov 29, 22, 4:03 pm
  #928  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Programs: AA Ck, Delta DM, Marriott ambassador , Hertz President, National EE, Hilton Diamond ,
Posts: 109
Originally Posted by Tapaphilly View Post
Does anyone with a business or shared plan know if a member can bring a companion (similar to the individual plans)? TIA!
the answer is it depends on the contract and contract manager.

say I have 10 people under the business plan. I have to click if that person can have a companion or if they cant. So I can allow 2 to have it but 8 cant. All depends on what you allow.
scott56 is offline  
Old Nov 30, 22, 9:07 am
  #929  
S.R
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Programs: EK Gold, AA EXP
Posts: 827
AirPass is reportedly being discontinued as of today

https://onemileatatime.com/news/amer...rogram-ending/
ceebee100 likes this.
S.R is offline  
Old Nov 30, 22, 9:20 am
  #930  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Programs: AA Ck, Delta DM, Marriott ambassador , Hertz President, National EE, Hilton Diamond ,
Posts: 109
Originally Posted by S.R View Post
AirPass is reportedly being discontinued as of today

https://onemileatatime.com/news/amer...rogram-ending/
very strange. Not sure if this is true. My renewal is up in January and I was asked to renew. I just spoke to my rep 2 weeks ago and I received the email yesterday for renewal

I should note this is for a business plan. Maybe personal is done
scott56 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread