Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AirPass Prepaid Travel (née AAirpass, not Lifetime Airpass) Master Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 1, 2015, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Shawn02139
American Airlines AirPass PrePaid Travel

NOTE: The program is Airpass; no longer named "AAirpass"
Link to AirPass front page

Link to aa.com AirPass contact and links page.

Prepaid, Unrestricted Air Travel at a Fixed Rate

As an AirPass member, you won’t have to search for fares or pay extra for last-minute trips. Your airfare is pre-paid at a fixed rate and your account is ready when you need to travel to any of the more than 350 destinations in the combined American Airlines and US Airways network.
AirPass offers significant savings on fares (as well as guaranteed last seat availability) for flyers who know they will fly a lot but find themselves buying expensive last minute walk-up level fares.

AirPass, depending on level of purchase, includes status and may include up to Executive Platinum status and Admirals Club membership, or even Concierge Key, which includes both.

AirPass members get a courtesy drink and a snack if they're traveling in Coach, much as Executive Platinums do; unlike Executive Platinums, their traveling companion does also.

14 Jan 2016 jmappleby said: "...they take credit via wire transfer at $10k (Gold), $20k (Platinum), $30k (EP). Concierge Key is available for $50k individual spend or $75k team spend."
AirPass can be for different classes of service, and except for "PlanAAhead Economy", book into Y, J or F classes (and in 2016 will earn AA Elite Qualifying Miles at Y, J or F levels) and for Economy AirPass flyers offers "instant upgrade" fares that book into A for First or D for Business. These may not be available on all routes, however, and the legal routes may change during your contract.

Contact AirPass

AirPass Customer Service
800-433-6355
817-931-9029 - Fax

Monday - Friday
8 a.m. - 5 p.m. (CT)

Send us a letter
FedEX / UPS / Overnight mail
American Airlines
AirPass Customer Service
4255 Amon Carter Blvd.
MD 4106
Fort Worth, TX 76155

U.S mail
American Airlines, Inc.
AirPass Customer Service
P.O. Box 619616
MD 4106
DFW Airport, TX 75261-9616
You can get indicative pricing here: https://airpass.aa.com/vt-customer/c...ervations.html
The best deal seems to be the -UP fares, where you pay the standard economy, but book a confirmed seat into business
Print Wikipost

AirPass Prepaid Travel (née AAirpass, not Lifetime Airpass) Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2019, 12:03 am

Programs: MP, AA
Originally Posted by timc01
I often take advantage of the Instant Upgrade availability when traveling TATL. However, I only ever see these when searching ex-US on a round trip basis. Anyone know whether they're ever available for itineraries ex-EUR?
There are instant upgrades to International Business without a SWU?
Old Jan 9, 2019, 7:44 am

Originally Posted by Milikan
There are instant upgrades to International Business without a SWU?
Yes. Availability varies with route and date.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by BlatheringPenguin
Yes. Availability varies with route and date.
Basically the route has to have a published "Y-UP" fare. Which for international destinations is mostly to and from Europe and a few South American destinations (few if any Asia / AsiaPac Y-UP fares exist). In addition to AA having a published Y-UP fare there must be "D" inventory available at time of reservation. Lastly, many AA int'l Y-UP fares must be booked as round trip. So if using Airpass you many times will have to book a bogus "return" flight which technically is in violation of the contract of carriage but AA, at least right now, doesn't seem to care (if you wanna be a good neighbor remember always to cancel the return after you've flown the outbound). Remember, with Airpass you only get billed if you fly (expect for discount "H" inventory advanced bookings). For domestic routes, most are eligible for Y-UP to domestic First (J) but again D inventory has to be available. The only caveat is that now that AA is heavily enforcing various married segment rules, in many cases D must be available on both connecting flights as a published AA fare (ie no more picking and choosing unique routing). That's why as I said above Airpass is no longer an effective way to rack up outrageous EQMs like it used to be, especially due to AA's new restrictive married segment fares and rules (which ironically most people in reservations as well as the entire company don't quite understand) not to mentioned new EQD requirements. Welcome to the new American. In my opinion Airpass use to be a program that filled a unique place in the tool chest but due to new restrictions with in the company it's appeal is slowly dying and I expect it to either go away completely or be targeted to the large company travel program customers.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 2:33 am

Programs: UA peon (+decades 1K), AA Exec Plt
Originally Posted by FleyeSkyHigh
Basically the route has to have a published "Y-UP" fare. Which for international destinations is mostly to and from Europe and a few South American destinations (few if any Asia / AsiaPac Y-UP fares exist). In addition to AA having a published Y-UP fare there must be "D" inventory available at time of reservation. Lastly, many AA int'l Y-UP fares must be booked as round trip. So if using Airpass you many times will have to book a bogus "return" flight which technically is in violation of the contract of carriage but AA, at least right now, doesn't seem to care (if you wanna be a good neighbor remember always to cancel the return after you've flown the outbound). Remember, with Airpass you only get billed if you fly (expect for discount "H" inventory advanced bookings). For domestic routes, most are eligible for Y-UP to domestic First (J) but again D inventory has to be available. The only caveat is that now that AA is heavily enforcing various married segment rules, in many cases D must be available on both connecting flights as a published AA fare (ie no more picking and choosing unique routing). That's why as I said above Airpass is no longer an effective way to rack up outrageous EQMs like it used to be, especially due to AA's new restrictive married segment fares and rules (which ironically most people in reservations as well as the entire company don't quite understand) not to mentioned new EQD requirements. Welcome to the new American. In my opinion Airpass use to be a program that filled a unique place in the tool chest but due to new restrictions with in the company it's appeal is slowly dying and I expect it to either go away completely or be targeted to the large company travel program customers.
The Y-UP gets triple EQM?
Old Jan 13, 2019, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by Michael D

The Y-UP gets triple EQM?
2x, not 3x. (At least the international legs I do this way that then appear as D fare class)
Old Jan 15, 2019, 7:22 pm

Hello, I am considering AirPass and was wondering if y’all found that you were able to do the "instant upgrade" fare to book Economy but be instantly moved to Business? If so, do you find that the full-fair Economy is comparable (or cheaper/more expensive) to the going rate for Business? Is the primary reason you acquired AirPass was that you frequently book last minute tickets?

for example, AA1871 LAX-CLT on 1/19. Can you let me know what this prices out to in Y using AirPass and whether the instant upgrade to J is available?
Old Jan 22, 2019, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by FleyeSkyHigh
Great explanation - but to my original question do you know if the Y-UP is ever seen on for travel originating ex-Europe?
Old Jan 22, 2019, 11:20 am

Programs: AA EXP sad former CK, Bonvoy LT Plat, BAEC Gold, VS, former UA, UA no longer, never, ever, QF
Airpass is great given no change or cancellation fees. I book exactly whatever route I want, by breaking my travel into separate records. If I want to fly DCA to JFK to LAX and use the 321T, I book the DCA/JFK leg separately. On the Y-Up fare I bump from Y to J. Then use miles or SWU and fly in 3 class First. It is great on US - Europe for Y Up (takes away the stress/hope of waiting for the upgrade). That said, I looked at booking from Europe to the US, and did not see Y-Up fares. Just Plan Ahead, Y, and Business.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by rowingman
Airpass is great given no change or cancellation fees. I book exactly whatever route I want, by breaking my travel into separate records. If I want to fly DCA to JFK to LAX and use the 321T, I book the DCA/JFK leg separately. On the Y-Up fare I bump from Y to J. Then use miles or SWU and fly in 3 class First. It is great on US - Europe for Y Up (takes away the stress/hope of waiting for the upgrade). That said, I looked at booking from Europe to the US, and did not see Y-Up fares. Just Plan Ahead, Y, and Business.
Hi. How do prices compare to the published economy / business fare?
Old Jan 23, 2019, 3:38 pm

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Originally Posted by Joseliz

Hi. How do prices compare to the published economy / business fare?
JFK-LAX is close to $1,200 one way for Airpass travel (unrestricted coach with instant upgrade to business), which books into capacity controlled I-class seat inventory. Price comparison really depends on what advance purchase requirements and penalties you're willing to live with on a published fare. There are <$1,000 business class published fares that are non-refundable (and fares even lower than that with an advance purchase).

Companies with high spend can negotiate better pricing with AA. There's a fare calculator for the standard pricing at the bottom of this link: https://airpass.aa.com/vt-customer/c...ervations.html
ralphs likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 10:26 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Plat, VS Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Can I use an airpass to travel to partner destinations using AA as the overwater carrier? That is, can I book msy-clt-lhr on AA airpass and add a paid BA lhr-arn segment on the same ticket?

Old Apr 21, 2019, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by oopsz
Can I use an airpass to travel to partner destinations using AA as the overwater carrier? That is, can I book msy-clt-lhr on AA airpass and add a paid BA lhr-arn segment on the same ticket?

Not that I'm aware of. All of my travel ends up on multiple tickets. One to get me to where I can catch the AA flight and then the AirPass ticket on AA. (and then in some cases a 3rd ticket to get me to my final destination.). Is a minor pain, but not all that much as I'd often have to be reclaiming my luggage at those transfers anyway. If we could put all those (non-Airpass + Airpass legs) on a single ticket, I would.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 11:47 am

Programs: AA
Can some one share an example of how the receipt shows up?

My company allows me to book Corporate travel via personal means... I just have to be able to properly expense the cost and show i paid for it. I want to run it by the expense team to verify.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 1:38 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat (2MM), Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by waterskifly
Can some one share an example of how the receipt shows up?

My company allows me to book Corporate travel via personal means... I just have to be able to properly expense the cost and show i paid for it. I want to run it by the expense team to verify.
I've never had any issues expensing to both clients and as an employee in similar situation to you.

Last edited by cphurley; Jun 24, 2019 at 1:52 pm
Old Jun 24, 2019, 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by cphurley

I've never had any issues expensing to both clients and as an employee in similar situation to you.

Note that receipts are not available immediately, I typically see them available a couple of business days after the flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.