Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AirPass Prepaid Travel (née AAirpass, not Lifetime Airpass) Master Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 1, 2015, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Shawn02139
American Airlines AirPass PrePaid Travel

NOTE: The program is Airpass; no longer named "AAirpass"
Link to AirPass front page

Link to aa.com AirPass contact and links page.

Prepaid, Unrestricted Air Travel at a Fixed Rate

As an AirPass member, you won’t have to search for fares or pay extra for last-minute trips. Your airfare is pre-paid at a fixed rate and your account is ready when you need to travel to any of the more than 350 destinations in the combined American Airlines and US Airways network.
AirPass offers significant savings on fares (as well as guaranteed last seat availability) for flyers who know they will fly a lot but find themselves buying expensive last minute walk-up level fares.

AirPass, depending on level of purchase, includes status and may include up to Executive Platinum status and Admirals Club membership, or even Concierge Key, which includes both.

AirPass members get a courtesy drink and a snack if they're traveling in Coach, much as Executive Platinums do; unlike Executive Platinums, their traveling companion does also.

14 Jan 2016 jmappleby said: "...they take credit via wire transfer at $10k (Gold), $20k (Platinum), $30k (EP). Concierge Key is available for $50k individual spend or $75k team spend."
AirPass can be for different classes of service, and except for "PlanAAhead Economy", book into Y, J or F classes (and in 2016 will earn AA Elite Qualifying Miles at Y, J or F levels) and for Economy AirPass flyers offers "instant upgrade" fares that book into A for First or D for Business. These may not be available on all routes, however, and the legal routes may change during your contract.

Contact AirPass

AirPass Customer Service
800-433-6355
817-931-9029 - Fax

Monday - Friday
8 a.m. - 5 p.m. (CT)

Send us a letter
FedEX / UPS / Overnight mail
American Airlines
AirPass Customer Service
4255 Amon Carter Blvd.
MD 4106
Fort Worth, TX 76155

U.S mail
American Airlines, Inc.
AirPass Customer Service
P.O. Box 619616
MD 4106
DFW Airport, TX 75261-9616
You can get indicative pricing here: https://airpass.aa.com/vt-customer/c...ervations.html
The best deal seems to be the -UP fares, where you pay the standard economy, but book a confirmed seat into business
Print Wikipost

AirPass Prepaid Travel (née AAirpass, not Lifetime Airpass) Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2017, 3:08 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat (2MM), Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by 869
Honestly, I wouldn't trust anything an AAirpass salesperson says about availability of Y-UP on any route and would record their representation that it would be available in the cases that they've indicated to you. I imagine the contract affords them flexibility to do / change whatever, whenever but I'd like to have that representation available for playback.
I certainly don't trust it, hence asking here. Sounds like there is NO WAY of telling if/when YUPs will be available. If there is someone currently on an AAirpass, would you mind logging in and browsing some random dates for LAX-ORD and ORD-LAX one-ways to see if the YUP is generally available? Probably not within a week, but maybe middle/end of October? Thanks in advance for any help here!
Old Oct 9, 2017, 8:46 am

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
I see that, I don't know why it is different. My link to the FAQs came from aa.com and no credit cards has been the long standing policy; it is possible that it has changed.
Paid for my airpass on Friday using Chase Sapphire Reserve and it is showing the 3x. I didn't want to chance it with AMEX Platinum 5x as that is always more restrictive to get the bonus.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 9:30 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by cphurley
Paid for my airpass on Friday using Chase Sapphire Reserve and it is showing the 3x. I didn't want to chance it with AMEX Platinum 5x as that is always more restrictive to get the bonus.
^ Awesome!
Old Oct 9, 2017, 10:01 am

Programs: BA GGL, AA EXP and former CK, DL Plat, UA Gold MM
Bravo. How did you pay by credit card? I thought AAirpass only takes checks and wires.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 10:51 am

Programs: AA EXP
See above - policy changed.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have been offered the opportunity to purchase personal travel through my employer's Airpass account.

I have been asked to sign up to AAdvantage for this. Does anyone know if that means I would need to credit these AirPass flights to AAdvantage? I would prefer to credit to BAEC as far as possible.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Congratulations!
Old Nov 16, 2017, 7:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2mm; UA 1k;
So expert flyer shows what looks like a YUP fare to me on the BOS-DCA shuttle, fare basis, Y0AUPRDF, and indicates it books into "R" class. But if I search inventory a week out from no, no "R" class is reported.

Is there a Y-UP fare one-way on the shuttle?

Also, they now have on the home page a feature where you can input city pairs and it gives you the cost. Pretty helpful.
Old Nov 16, 2017, 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by Shawn02139
So expert flyer shows what looks like a YUP fare to me on the BOS-DCA shuttle, fare basis, Y0AUPRDF, and indicates it books into "R" class. But if I search inventory a week out from no, no "R" class is reported.

Is there a Y-UP fare one-way on the shuttle?

Also, they now have on the home page a feature where you can input city pairs and it gives you the cost. Pretty helpful.
I think you need I or A or something
Old Dec 5, 2017, 6:51 pm

I’m having a surprisingly difficult time getting a straight answer out of AirPass: How are fares between two non-North American regions determined? e.g. what usage rate is applied to a single ticket that goes from South America to Asia?

Any other AirPass holders out there have experience with this?

thanks,
BP
Old Jan 8, 2018, 11:05 am

Thumbs up Airpass 5x on Amex Plat Personal

I deposited another $10K into my Airpass account and I asked them to split payment among 2 cards ($9500 CSR and $500 Amex Plat Personal) - so I could test AMEX Plat Personal 5x.

Happy to report that the $500 portion I billed to AMEX Plat personal received the 5x; 2500 Membership Rewards points for the $500 I charged. Next increment, they'll get the whole $10K charge.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 1:33 am

jf booking more than 7 days in advance is plan ahead fix required or do I get to cho

What are my booking options?
AAnytime®: Members who make their travel arrangements at the last minute may enjoy last seat availability by booking in unrestricted First (F), Business (J), or Coach (Y); one-way or round-trip without change fees.

PlanAhead: Members who can make their travel arrangements at least 7 days in advance may enjoy 25% off AAnytime Coach by booking in restricted Coach (H) inventory. A $200 fee is deducted automatically for changes, cancellations, or no-shows after ticketing.
jf booking more than 7 days in advance is plan ahead fix required or do I get to choose which option, I want?
Old Mar 12, 2018, 4:49 am

Originally Posted by writetorich
What are my booking options?
AAnytime®: Members who make their travel arrangements at the last minute may enjoy last seat availability by booking in unrestricted First (F), Business (J), or Coach (Y); one-way or round-trip without change fees.

PlanAhead: Members who can make their travel arrangements at least 7 days in advance may enjoy 25% off AAnytime Coach by booking in restricted Coach (H) inventory. A $200 fee is deducted automatically for changes, cancellations, or no-shows after ticketing.
jf booking more than 7 days in advance is plan ahead fix required or do I get to choose which option, I want?
You choose at booking. Never required to do PlanAAhead.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by workandski
When Transcon business fares were high, this was a great deal for me because I could get an instant upgrade to business class and use a systemwide upgrade to upgrade to first. I am not so sure that it is a good deal for me anymore. But the big advantage of these fares is that there are no change fees and you can book them at the last minute. They were perfect for me when I was going from LAX to New York for depositions and never knew ahead of time when the deposition was going to end. I doubt they will ever make sense for someone who can plan ahead.
Resurrecting an old quote from this thread, but I'm about to be in this same boat; I generally book ORD-LAX and LAX-ORD so I use "instant upgrade" when available and "Business" instant is not available. I have an LAX-NYC trip upcoming so I'll likely book the instant upgrade. Does anyone know if I can call and apply the SWU to first as soon as I make the Airpass reservation; generally speaking, I usually wait until a reservation is ticketing to apply SWU but these tickets won't get issued until 1-day before the flight and I'm looking at something about 6 weeks out. Appreciate any thoughts or experiences; either way, I'll report back with my experience when I get around to booking in the next week or so.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 3:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP sad former CK, Bonvoy LT Plat, BAEC Gold, VS, former UA, UA no longer, never, ever, QF
Resurrecting an old quote from this thread, but I'm about to be in this same boat; I generally book ORD-LAX and LAX-ORD so I use "instant upgrade" when available and "Business" instant is not available. I have an LAX-NYC trip upcoming so I'll likely book the instant upgrade. Does anyone know if I can call and apply the SWU to first as soon as I make the Airpass reservation; generally speaking, I usually wait until a reservation is ticketing to apply SWU but these tickets won't get issued until 1-day before the flight and I'm looking at something about 6 weeks out. Appreciate any thoughts or experiences; either way, I'll report back with my experience when I get around to booking in the next week or so.
Quick answer: I call as soon as I book LAX - JFK instant upgrade and ask to apply SWU (as my helpful Airpass rep told me to do), and confirm the upgrade at time of booking. It may not "ticket" until late in the game, but they will confirm you in First.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.