Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Miles on Qantas / QF codeshare operated by other airlines, EK etc. (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 26, 2013, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Miles on Qantas / QF codeshare operated by other airlines, EK etc. (consolidated)

aa.com:

Earn miles (on Qantas Airways) Link

Earn elite-qualifying AAdvantage miles when you fly on Qantas marketed and operated flights as well as Qantas Airways codeshare flights. Simply:
  • Buy an eligible published fare ticket booked in an eligible code
  • Fly an eligible route
  • Specific flights, routes or cities that are excluded from earning miles or award travel are listed as exceptions if applicable.
Exceptions

Qantas codeshare flights operated by Jetstar are ineligible for any AAdvantage mile accrual or elite credit.
26 Feb 2013, AAdvantage Customer Service replied to our inquiry with:

"I am happy to say that any flights marketed by Qantas Airlines but operated by another airline, including Etihad Airways, is (sic) eligible to receive miles based on the booking class. The earning requirements would apply as if you were flying on a Qantas Airlines flight. Please visit www.aa.com/qantas to view the accrual chart."

From JonNYC at travelingbetter as of September 2013:

In addition, it's now my belief (and -some- of this was in this thread, but never as confirmed as I now feel we are approaching) here is where I think we are at:

QF
ALL QF #'d flights earn EQP/EQM/EQS, *except* operated by Jetstar (JQ) & Jetstar Asia (3K)
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2014, 8:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
As with all OW flights, its the flight number that matters. So in this case, a PG ticket , no.

Why don't you just purchase a QF ticket?
Because knowing QF it'll be 3x the price for the exact same flight.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 4:07 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, AAdvantage Platinum Executive, LH Frequent Flyer
Qantas codeshares operated by Emirates: do you earn AAdvantage miles?

I apologize if I am posting my question on the wrong forum.

I was wondering whether a flight marketed by Qantas Airlines (with Qantas flight number) but operated by Emirates (on the Europe-Dubai-Australia legs) are eligible to receive AAdvantage miles, EQP and EQM based on the Qantas booking class. I need to know since I have to book a flight on the Europe-Australia route and Emirates offers the best connection from Brussels.

I know this issue has been raised before in the Flyertalk forum: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html And AAdvantage itself seems to confirm that indeed one will earn miles as if you were flying on a Qantas Airlines flight.

However since that info dated from November 2013, I also addressed my question to the AAdvantage Executive Platinum customer service, and this is their answer (by email): "Thanks for contacting us here at AAdvantage® Customer Service. According to my information, a codeshare flight marketed by Quantas and operated by Emirates Airline is not eligible for AAdvantage credit. I am sorry to disappoint you."

Did Aadvantage change its policy towards Qantas codeshares operated by Emirates, or did the Aadvantage customer agent not have access to the correct information ?

Any help and advice would be highly appreciated.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 4:37 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by theLuxuryTravelExpert
I apologize if I am posting my question on the wrong forum.

I was wondering whether a flight marketed by Qantas Airlines (with Qantas flight number) but operated by Emirates (on the Europe-Dubai-Australia legs) are eligible to receive AAdvantage miles, EQP and EQM based on the Qantas booking class. I need to know since I have to book a flight on the Europe-Australia route and Emirates offers the best connection from Brussels.

I know this issue has been raised before in the Flyertalk forum: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html And AAdvantage itself seems to confirm that indeed one will earn miles as if you were flying on a Qantas Airlines flight.

However since that info dated from November 2013, I also addressed my question to the AAdvantage Executive Platinum customer service, and this is their answer (by email): "Thanks for contacting us here at AAdvantage® Customer Service. According to my information, a codeshare flight marketed by Quantas and operated by Emirates Airline is not eligible for AAdvantage credit. I am sorry to disappoint you."

Did Aadvantage change its policy towards Qantas codeshares operated by Emirates, or did the Aadvantage customer agent not have access to the correct information ?

Any help and advice would be highly appreciated.
The answer is yes. Odd that after all this time they are still giving that wrong answer by email. And that AA.com hasn't ben updated.

Now, if you were to take the flight, not get the credit, can you tell them "jonnyc on the internet said so!"-- well, that might be a tough sell.

But AAdv at highest levels had/has confirmed that all QF #'d flights operated by EK -do- give full AAdv credit.

BTW, the thread you linked to has more recent info than the date you point to: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22335935-post101.html
Old Aug 14, 2014, 6:50 pm

Programs: QP Life, AA Nothing, QF Bronze
Originally Posted by theLuxuryTravelExpert
"Thanks for contacting us here at AAdvantage® Customer Service. According to my information, a codeshare flight marketed by Quantas and operated by Emirates Airline is not eligible for AAdvantage credit. I am sorry to disappoint you."
Did you cut and paste that piece of text? Because if so I'm not sure I would trust the advice, given that they got the spelling of both airlines' names (slightly) wrong.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 7:21 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Alan in CBR
Did you cut and paste that piece of text? Because if so I'm not sure I would trust the advice, given that they got the spelling of both airlines' names (slightly) wrong.
!
Old Apr 23, 2015, 3:16 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
With AAdvantage now being the combined programme for AA and US flyers, this thread will be relocated to the Combined forum.

~Moderator
Old Aug 29, 2015, 8:51 pm

Any recent experiences?

Any recent experiences earning miles AA on QF flight numbers operated by EK?
Still working out for everyone?
Old Aug 29, 2015, 9:05 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by chuck1
Any recent experiences earning miles AA on QF flight numbers operated by EK?
Still working out for everyone?
There's no reason to believe QF marketed flights operated by other airlines, other than Jetstar, don't still earn as if flying QF; there are no announcements or shared experiences indicating such a change.

The language used by AA on aa.com is reflected by the quite box in the wiki, today:

Earn miles (on Qantas Airways) Link

Earn elite-qualifying AAdvantage miles when you fly on Qantas marketed and operated flights as well as Qantas Airways codeshare flights. Simply:
  • Buy an eligible published fare ticket booked in an eligible code
  • Fly an eligible route
  • Specific flights, routes or cities that are excluded from earning miles or award travel are listed as exceptions if applicable.
Exceptions

Qantas codeshare flights operated by Jetstar are ineligible for any AAdvantage mile accrual or elite credit.

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 29, 2015 at 9:18 pm Reason: Add quote
Old Aug 30, 2015, 8:30 am

Thanks for the update.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 8:53 am

Thanks for the update.
No worries. Certainly frustrating for me on my CNS-SYD JQ flight last year (JQ has a.m. flights on that route, QF doesn't) knowing all other airlines' QF codeshares do earn AA miles as if flying QF, except for their own LCC subsidiary. (Admittedly better news for those flying EY, TN, FJ etc.)
Old Aug 30, 2015, 1:57 pm

And in my case..
QF8076 CDG-DXB
QF8412 DXB-SYD
QF8764 SYD-AKL
operated by EK
Old Aug 30, 2015, 8:50 pm

And in my case..
QF8076 CDG-DXB
QF8412 DXB-SYD
QF8764 SYD-AKL
operated by EK
Lovely! Thanks for sharing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.