Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Miles on Qantas / QF codeshare operated by other airlines, EK etc. (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 26, 2013, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Miles on Qantas / QF codeshare operated by other airlines, EK etc. (consolidated)

aa.com:

Earn miles (on Qantas Airways) Link

Earn elite-qualifying AAdvantage miles when you fly on Qantas marketed and operated flights as well as Qantas Airways codeshare flights. Simply:
  • Buy an eligible published fare ticket booked in an eligible code
  • Fly an eligible route
  • Specific flights, routes or cities that are excluded from earning miles or award travel are listed as exceptions if applicable.
Exceptions

Qantas codeshare flights operated by Jetstar are ineligible for any AAdvantage mile accrual or elite credit.
26 Feb 2013, AAdvantage Customer Service replied to our inquiry with:

"I am happy to say that any flights marketed by Qantas Airlines but operated by another airline, including Etihad Airways, is (sic) eligible to receive miles based on the booking class. The earning requirements would apply as if you were flying on a Qantas Airlines flight. Please visit www.aa.com/qantas to view the accrual chart."

From JonNYC at travelingbetter as of September 2013:

In addition, it's now my belief (and -some- of this was in this thread, but never as confirmed as I now feel we are approaching) here is where I think we are at:

QF
ALL QF #'d flights earn EQP/EQM/EQS, *except* operated by Jetstar (JQ) & Jetstar Asia (3K)
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2013, 9:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by JDiver
The two examples, flying QF codeshare on FJ and TN, have been discussed previously - and it isn't possible to earn AAdvantage miles on either, unless flying as AA codeshare. (I know because I have flown FJ and TN a number of times and checked, as well as other oneworld marketed flights operated by non-oneworld airlines; my FJ and TN flights flown as AA, OTOH, have resulted in AA EQM / EQP.)
When was the last time someone reported flying a QF flight number operated by FJ?

Based on the terms as written, I cannot see any reason whatsoever not to expect to be credited for the QF codeshare

As far as EK goes, it is moot since there is no QF codeshare on EK yet and AA may change the wording before april
Old Feb 19, 2013, 9:53 pm

Programs: AA - EXP, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, UK - Gold
just to add my two cents and a fact..
1) I've sent this specific question (QF flight number, EK operated) over to a contact in customer service. I've asked him to send me an official AA response through the mail channels. Should have it in a day or two.. will post it here.

2) I took a flight in december last year.. BOM-SIN-SYD where BOM-SIN was QF codeshare on 9W (Jet Airways) and I was credited with EQM's..

Now going by logic of microwave, this is supposed to happen as flight was QF flight number and 9W is AA affiliate..
..and going by logic of dave noble, this is supposed to happen as flight was a QF flight number..

hence i've asked the formal question to customer service.. should know in a day or two.. will report back... personally important for me as I'm about to book BOM-DFW and would love to be on EK metal even if that means I lose the mileage credit for BOM-DXB portion..
Old Feb 19, 2013, 9:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: vx diamond
Should be draw attention to this potential gem?
Old Feb 19, 2013, 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by jfk747
Should be draw attention to this potential gem?
they will know sooner or later... better to get things clarified is my thought...
Old Feb 19, 2013, 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by galaticos
just to add my two cents and a fact..
1) I've sent this specific question (QF flight number, EK operated) over to a contact in customer service. I've asked him to send me an official AA response through the mail channels. Should have it in a day or two.. will post it here.

2) I took a flight in december last year.. BOM-SIN-SYD where BOM-SIN was QF codeshare on 9W (Jet Airways) and I was credited with EQM's..

Now going by logic of microwave, this is supposed to happen as flight was QF flight number and 9W is AA affiliate..
..and going by logic of dave noble, this is supposed to happen as flight was a QF flight number..
Based on microwave's logic which seems to me to be that only QF marketed and operated flights are eligable for EQMs and that codeshares are only eligable for miles, then the 9W flight marketed by QF would only be eligable for spending miles especially since a 9W marketed and operated flight would not accrue EQMs
Old Feb 19, 2013, 11:15 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Based on microwave's logic which seems to me to be that only QF marketed and operated flights are eligable for EQMs and that codeshares are only eligable for miles, then the 9W flight marketed by QF would only be eligable for spending miles especially since a 9W marketed and operated flight would not accrue EQMs
Microwave's argument as I understood is that EQM earn is possible if the QF marketed flight is operated by Advantage affiliate.. since 9W is in the affliate list.. hence I get the EQMs.. since EK isnt, I dont get EQMs..
Old Feb 19, 2013, 11:18 pm

Microwave's argument as I understood is that EQM earn is possible if the QF marketed flight is operated by Advantage affiliate.. since 9W is in the affliate list.. hence I get the EQMs.. since EK isnt, I dont get EQMs..
9W is not an airline on which EQMs would normally be earned though if crediting directly a 9W flight to AA
Old Feb 19, 2013, 11:33 pm

9W is not an airline on which EQMs would normally be earned though if crediting directly a 9W flight to AA
True that.. i'd be on 9th heaven if that happened!! would have been EXP this year after Feb 28...
Old Feb 20, 2013, 6:28 am

personally important for me as I'm about to book BOM-DFW and would love to be on EK metal even if that means I lose the mileage credit for BOM-DXB portion..
well upon further research, seems to be a fault in my hopes .. apparently EK QF codeshare agreement doesnt extend to USA.. it appears to cover Asia, Europe and northern africa and Australian continent ...
Old Feb 20, 2013, 6:59 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Potential gem? AA occasionally messes up in how it credits (or may fail to credit) miles. In this instance, I still feel no EQM are to be had. Possibly redeemable miles. Until we hear the definitive statement from AA, that assumption would govern my behavior.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
Potential gem? AA occasionally messes up in how it credits (or may fail to credit) miles. In this instance, I still feel no EQM are to be had. Possibly redeemable miles. Until we hear the definitive statement from AA, that assumption would govern my behavior.
I cannot see why. Given the earning table shows booking class and the EQM to be earned, I cannot see why people are wanting to believe that the webpage is incorrect in what it shows

The wording

Travel on Qantas and affiliate airlines counts toward qualifying for AAdvantage elite status membership.

does not say Qantas marketed and operated

and is the same wording as for AA which states

Travel on American Airlines and affiliate airlines counts toward qualifying for AAdvantage elite status membership.

An AA codeshare on any airline is treated as an AA flight, why would not the same policy apply to Qantas?
Old Feb 20, 2013, 11:11 pm

Programs: hh diamond,Qantas club life,AA EX-explat.SPG plat.
However you still dont get EQM or indeed even miles if you are on the QF codeshare on TN as I have experienced not so long ago.So it would still be possible that AA could make QF codeshares on EK metal non earning as there is,allbeit 1 out of many, a precedent.
Though I would certainly hope that as AA also is eeking a closer arrangement with EK that the decision will be allowing the QF codeshares to earn both miles and EQM.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 11:13 pm

Originally Posted by drron
However you still dont get EQM or indeed even miles if you are on the QF codeshare on TN as I have experienced not so long ago.
Under the AA terms, as long as an eligable booking class, should be eligable to get miles
Old Feb 21, 2013, 3:41 am

Programs: QF Gold LTG (ow Saph), HHon Silver, Marriot Gold
Again my view of the wording on this link - http://www.aa.com/i18n/aboutUs/codes...asAirlines.jsp

Earn miles when flying on Qantas Airways marketed and operated flights for travel on an eligible published fare ticket.
MARKETED and OPERATED --- pretty clear.

Miles are also earned on Qantas Airways codeshare flights*.
Click the codeshare link, then Qantas and it goes to this page:
http://www.aa.com/i18n/aboutUs/codes...asAirlines.jsp
Which makes it clear that this is AA codeshares on QF metal.

Travel on Qantas and affiliate airlines counts toward qualifying for AAdvantage elite status membership.
Defining what QF metal is - look to the RHS side and it lists QantasLink and Jetconnect

*Travel on codeshare flights marketed by Qantas Airways (booked under a QF flight number) and operated by Jetstar Airways only earn miles when the customer is traveling on oneworld Explorer Fare.
This is the confusing bit as it talks about a QF codeshare on JQ metal - I actually think this should be an exception to the third point, effectively counting JQ as an affiliate but only in these circumstances.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 2:19 pm

Programs: hh diamond,Qantas club life,AA EX-explat.SPG plat.
Under the AA terms, as long as an eligable booking class, should be eligable to get miles
Paid J.Nothing posted.Sent in BPs-knocked back.Complained-knocked back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.