Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

International (Panasonic satellite) WiFi: availability, experiences

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 4, 2014, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
International satellite-based Wi-Fi is available on the Boeing 777-200ER, 777-300ER and 787 Dreamliners

International WiFi is Panasonic Ku band satellite based (and is blocked in Chinese air space). Note, the latest batch of 787-8s have Viasat high speed satellite wifi

Link to WiFi page on AA.com.

Originally Posted by arollins
From AA.com upper right corner there is a search box, enter WIFI, scroll through the info, and you get the following.

For international and select domestic flights, contact the service provider
Panasonic
Call 1-866-924-3715 (toll-free)
Email [email protected]

For Panasonic equipped aircraft:
The Wi-Fi access page will display “service provided by Panasonic”
Your credit card statement charges will appear as ”PAC WIFI”
International Wi-Fi is currently only available for purchase once onboard the aircraft at the following prices:

. . . . . . . . 2 Hour Pass – $12
. . . . . . .. .4 Hour Pass – $17
. . . . . . . . Duration of Flight Pass – $19

Which aircraft are equipped with international Panasonic WiFi?

Boeing 737 MAX 8 (all, "out of the box”; 737-800s will be covered as they are retrofitted to 172 seat capacity)
Boeing 777-300ER (all, "out of the box")
Boeing 777-200ER (added during refurbishment, all flying have it)
Boeing 787-8 (first batch only)
Boeing 787-9 all, ("out of the box")

Adding
134 Airbus A320 family (319, -20 and -21) according to member tdedj1
Print Wikipost

International (Panasonic satellite) WiFi: availability, experiences

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2018, 10:58 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, Marriott
Flew HKG - LAX and DFW - HKG. Both sucked.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 1:24 am

Programs: UA & AA 1 million miler
This year I used Panasonic satellite WiFi 5 times, and all failed and I got a refund 5 times already....
I was hoping it would work each time, but it just didn't work...
I signed up for a flight duration pass. I was able to use it under 30 minutes, then the system signed me out.
After that happened I was not able to sign in back anymore even aainflight.com showed "connected".
I heard many people complained on those flights, so I know it wasn't just me.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 2:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
The Panasonic product really has been noticeably worse the past year or so. On a recent LHR-DFW, I was barely able to send / receive email, let alone load any normal web pages.

I wonder if this is due to more pax being online, or what?
Old Mar 14, 2018, 8:58 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
Originally Posted by miloworld
Flew HKG - LAX and DFW - HKG. Both sucked.

I just returned from HKG-LAX and on both legs I couldn't access the screen to buy/join a session. Is there something special that needs to be done for the iPhone? I was expecting a launch page to pop up when I opened the browser after enabling the WiFi connection. But I grew skeptical when even aa.com didn't work. Gave up after several tries and noting few others trying as well.

Tomorrow I'm back on A332 (SFO-PHL) and am expecting the same issues I have when on this bird in January... WiFi sucked!!
Old May 5, 2018, 6:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Zacnlinc
Is there something special that needs to be done for the iPhone? I was expecting a launch page to pop up when I opened the browser after enabling the WiFi connection.
No, nothing special you should have to do. But in reality, the developers really screwed up driving redirects to the splash page. So it's better to go directly to aainflight.com, the sever where the splash page is hosted.

But be warned even when you get to the splash page, you're still not out of the woods. To buy or login, you are redirected to panasonic's authentication server (inflight.pacwisp.net). For about 90% of the flight, your browser will either timeout trying to reach it, or the server will flat out return a "connection refused" response. The only time it will work reliably is for the first hour of the flight, giving you enough time to pay and tell think "Hey! This time will be different!" At least that's been my experience on the last three trans-pac flights.

Utter garbage. They once had the nerve to refuse refunds because their data said that a connection was available for most of the flight. Yea, like if that matters when your authentication server can't handle jack-%$*&. The only time I've ever done a charge back. And yet I've paid three times. Fool me once and all that.... -_-

Last edited by andresmdn; May 5, 2018 at 6:10 pm Reason: edited out vulgarity..
Old May 5, 2018, 6:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Should mention, I'm on a flight now and it's working. You need to ask the FA to "reset the wifi". Not sure what all they do, but the wireless access point will stop broadcasting for a bit. When it comes back, you are able to login again. Not all FA's know this is possible to do, because I've been told before that they have no access to that system. Go figure.
Old May 5, 2018, 11:17 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
I used it on a flight from PHL to LAX last month. Maybe I had that reversed, I was the one who felt used.

My particular recollection is a game I play, not a very complicated one as far as data transmission, I occasionally lose connection and it can take a few minutes to complete a move. This one took me 45 minutes.

They did give me a refund. I plan on flying this bird every other month, so doubtless I'll try each time and hope they've fixed it.

What stinks is that I have free Gogo passes, but I can't really use them. I can't use them on this plane westbound, and my eastbounds are almost all red-eyes when I don't want internet.
Old May 6, 2018, 3:38 am

Originally Posted by andresmdn
No, nothing special you should have to do. But in reality, the developers really screwed up driving redirects to the splash page. So it's better to go directly to aainflight.com, the sever where the splash page is hosted.

But be warned even when you get to the splash page, you're still not out of the woods. To buy or login, you are redirected to panasonic's authentication server (inflight.pacwisp.net). For about 90% of the flight, your browser will either timeout trying to reach it, or the server will flat out return a "connection refused" response. The only time it will work reliably is for the first hour of the flight, giving you enough time to pay and tell think "Hey! This time will be different!" At least that's been my experience on the last three trans-pac flights.

Utter garbage. They once had the nerve to refuse refunds because their data said that a connection was available for most of the flight. Yea, like if that matters when your authentication server can't handle jack-%$*&. The only time I've ever done a charge back. And yet I've paid three times. Fool me once and all that.... -_-

Thanks for the update. I just complete my monthly LAX-HKG-LAX runs and again I was discouraged with buying WiFi. Ultimately I'll meet someone before boarding the flight in the lounge and they'll grip about the WiFi service after my questioning them about their experience. With that being said, I've yet tried it and really am resolved with using the flight time as time well spent not being connected to the Internet.
Old May 6, 2018, 3:44 am

Originally Posted by redtop43
I used it on a flight from PHL to LAX last month. Maybe I had that reversed, I was the one who felt used.

My particular recollection is a game I play, not a very complicated one as far as data transmission, I occasionally lose connection and it can take a few minutes to complete a move. This one took me 45 minutes.

They did give me a refund. I plan on flying this bird every other month, so doubtless I'll try each time and hope they've fixed it.

What stinks is that I have free Gogo passes, but I can't really use them. I can't use them on this plane westbound, and my eastbounds are almost all red-eyes when I don't want internet.
i ended up canceling my monthly subscription of GoGo as I'm of them opting to take the SFO-PHL-SFO route as the timing suits me very well. It just wasn't acceptable in my opinion to alter my route just to use the Internet on the flight. I'm schedule to be on this same route next week so maybe this time I will pull the trigger and actually try the service since I finally registered. It appears that the system works best over land more often than over water.

Stay tuned!!
Old May 6, 2018, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by andresmdn
This is why I will take periodic screen shots of the Speed Test throughout the flight. If I am paying the $19 for worthless internet, I want my $ back and want them to know it was truly bad.
Old May 6, 2018, 7:31 pm

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Just flew LHR-DFW and the Panasonic internet worked great. It would never win any speed awards, but it does work. The biggest disadvantage is that you can only have one device logged on at a time. To use a different device, you have to log off and then back on.

I woulda swore that GoGo let you send and receive SMS texts. Panasonic does NOT handle texts. Perhaps I was mistaken about being able to send texts while aloft.
Old May 6, 2018, 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by CloudCoder
Just flew LHR-DFW and the Panasonic internet worked great. It would never win any speed awards, but it does work. The biggest disadvantage is that you can only have one device logged on at a time. To use a different device, you have to log off and then back on.
BA’s new long haul WiFi only allows you to use one device - for the entire flight.

After using their’s, I was happy to go back to AA’s where I could at least switch from iPhone to MacBook.
Old May 7, 2018, 10:20 am

Tethering, maybe?
Old May 7, 2018, 6:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares
Just got refunded by Panasonic for 2 out of my last 3 TPAC flights. Was expecting a song and dance about how it was my fault but they admitted there were long bouts of outages on my flights.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 1:54 pm

Programs: AA
How is the WIFI on transatlantic? Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.