Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

International (Panasonic satellite) WiFi: availability, experiences

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 4, 2014, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
International satellite-based Wi-Fi is available on the Boeing 777-200ER, 777-300ER and 787 Dreamliners

International WiFi is Panasonic Ku band satellite based (and is blocked in Chinese air space). Note, the latest batch of 787-8s have Viasat high speed satellite wifi

Link to WiFi page on AA.com.

Originally Posted by arollins
From AA.com upper right corner there is a search box, enter WIFI, scroll through the info, and you get the following.

For international and select domestic flights, contact the service provider
Panasonic
Call 1-866-924-3715 (toll-free)
Email [email protected]

For Panasonic equipped aircraft:
The Wi-Fi access page will display “service provided by Panasonic”
Your credit card statement charges will appear as ”PAC WIFI”
International Wi-Fi is currently only available for purchase once onboard the aircraft at the following prices:

. . . . . . . . 2 Hour Pass – $12
. . . . . . .. .4 Hour Pass – $17
. . . . . . . . Duration of Flight Pass – $19

Which aircraft are equipped with international Panasonic WiFi?

Boeing 737 MAX 8 (all, "out of the box”; 737-800s will be covered as they are retrofitted to 172 seat capacity)
Boeing 777-300ER (all, "out of the box")
Boeing 777-200ER (added during refurbishment, all flying have it)
Boeing 787-8 (first batch only)
Boeing 787-9 all, ("out of the box")

Adding
134 Airbus A320 family (319, -20 and -21) according to member tdedj1
Print Wikipost

International (Panasonic satellite) WiFi: availability, experiences

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2014, 3:18 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
You might have skipped the drama and used FT search to find this well-established thread.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html
And what makes you think I didn't? Searching for T-mobile doesn't bring it up, even now that it is top of the forum.
Old Apr 5, 2014, 6:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag
Searching for T-mobile doesn't bring it up, even now that it is top of the forum.
Using that term, the correct thread was 9th in the list of search results for me. I always search for a variety of terms that might be used to describe the thread I am seeking, as I know that different people describe things in different ways ^
Old Apr 10, 2014, 5:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
I'm on AA107 today and it is pretty reasonable. Not very fast but none of the problems with not being able to access sites that I had last time. Got some work done.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 9:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
When is 77W satellite internet active?

[I searched for an answer, but could not find one. Forgive me if it's out there and I missed it]

When is the satellite-based internet active on the 77W? Is it something you can activate while on the ground during boarding, and have the purchased access be valid for the entire flight? Or, does it only become active when above 10,000 feet or at some other point during the flight? I know that laptops and other larger devices can't be used while taxiing and when below 10,000 feet, but that's not my question. Smaller internet-enabled devices can now be used during all phases of flight, and laptops can be used during boarding.

The obvious related question is when does it stop working? Upon landing? Earlier? Or is it active until after you actually get off the airplane?
Old Aug 25, 2014, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Steve M
[I searched for an answer, but could not find one. Forgive me if it's out there and I missed it]

When is the satellite-based internet active on the 77W? Is it something you can activate while on the ground during boarding, and have the purchased access be valid for the entire flight? Or, does it only become active when above 10,000 feet or at some other point during the flight? I know that laptops and other larger devices can't be used while taxiing and when below 10,000 feet, but that's not my question. Smaller internet-enabled devices can now be used during all phases of flight, and laptops can be used during boarding.

The obvious related question is when does it stop working? Upon landing? Earlier? Or is it active until after you actually get off the airplane?
Old Aug 25, 2014, 10:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Originally Posted by Steve M
Smaller internet-enabled devices can now be used during all phases of flight, and laptops can be used during boarding.
You may USE small hand held devices 'during all phases of flight', but you must have cellular and wifi turned off during takeoff and landing. (ie in "airplane mode").

10k feet.

One comment: DO NOT rely on the satellite internet actually working. Last two trips is was so bad that they agreed with me and refunded the charge.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 4:27 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by Exec_Plat
One comment: DO NOT rely on the satellite internet actually working. Last two trips is was so bad that they agreed with me and refunded the charge.
THANK YOU for mentioning that. I had horrid internet service on my DFW-HKG flight back on August 15 and had completely forgot about complaining. Just sent an e-mail with receipt info and was promised a full refund within 13 minutes of my complaint.

Tom in Singapore
Old Aug 26, 2014, 8:06 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Merged with existing thread re: 77W wifi. Thanks. /Moderator
Old Aug 26, 2014, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
You may USE small hand held devices 'during all phases of flight', but you must have cellular and wifi turned off during takeoff and landing. (ie in "airplane mode").

Actually, I believe that cellular must remain disabled through the entire flight (from gate departure until the aircraft has left the active runway after landing). However, WiFi and Bluetooth may be used while above 10,000 feet, once you have been informed that it is safe to do so.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 11:38 am

Programs: BAEC Gold for Life
I was looking forward to using the WiFi service on AA 104 from JFK to LHR on Thursday 28th August (thread comments about reliability notwithstanding) and was informed on the PA that because the aircraft was so new, the WiFi had yet to be installed! Really???
Old Sep 1, 2014, 8:41 pm
c_d

Programs: Feels like FO (AA EXP)
Question 77W and WiFi - what to do with constant failure?

Hi, I am trying to make up my mind about the international Wifi in the 77W.

I usually book r/t on AA50/51 for the plane being fully connected. Especially the outbound is to short and early for me to get some good night sleep. I am also handicapped by my work contract, travel time only counts as work time when actual work is done. So the availability and function of Wifi is quite important for me.

My last three flights on the 77W have been less than impressive though. Wifi was out three times in August, one time with the IFE alongside with it. I did complain once (for the one where Wifi and IFE were out) and despite not asking for any comp I got 5k miles for which I cannot care less about. My quarrel is that I am bleeding work hours.

What's your take on this? Complain? Ignore?
Old Sep 1, 2014, 9:59 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
I think I'd just send some inquiries at this point and try to sort out what's going on. Try both the T Mobile address ([email protected] ) and AA. If you're dependent on it for work, let them know it will impact your choice of carrier if the outages continue.

When I e-mailed T-Mobile last week they referred to "an error in the hotspot connection" which really didn't tell me too much. I didn't even attempt to use the service on the flight home from HKG three days ago.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 11:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
^^ Not sure what else you can do.

T-mobile has a very 'German' customer service mentality - basically non-existent. AA seems to have happily given them the contract with their total 100% lack of inflight support, and couldnt care less about what happens after you buy a ticket. IMO

c-d: Maybe insist that they put you on the DFW-LHR flight that has working service on the day you leave? Ask about incoming aircraft and reported wifi issues on the plane that will be yours. Find out if your plane had reported issues and move to another if it does?

One thing I see with wifi, IFE and seats, issues are long running and take multiple trips to be fixed- planes run multiple 'legs' with the same issues. Heck, I recall an F seat that was broken for MONTHS.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 5:12 am
c_d

Programs: Feels like FO (AA EXP)
Originally Posted by tom911
I think I'd just send some inquiries at this point and try to sort out what's going on. Try both the T Mobile address ([email protected] ) and AA. If you're dependent on it for work, let them know it will impact your choice of carrier if the outages continue.

When I e-mailed T-Mobile last week they referred to "an error in the hotspot connection" which really didn't tell me too much. I didn't even attempt to use the service on the flight home from HKG three days ago.
I spoke to T-Mobile as I have service with them in both, the US and Germany. They basically point the finger at AA saying that there are several "user errors" such as the flight crew not properly turning it on and that they do not have the same access to the physical plane for maintenance (same reported for the IFE). This might be just a diversion as the person I spoke to is only responsible for land-side hotspots in central Europe.

^^ Not sure what else you can do.

T-mobile has a very 'German' customer service mentality - basically non-existent. AA seems to have happily given them the contract with their total 100% lack of inflight support, and couldnt care less about what happens after you buy a ticket. IMO

c-d: Maybe insist that they put you on the DFW-LHR flight that has working service on the day you leave? Ask about incoming aircraft and reported wifi issues on the plane that will be yours. Find out if your plane had reported issues and move to another if it does?
AFAIK there is only AA50 as a 77W from DFW.

One thing I see with wifi, IFE and seats, issues are long running and take multiple trips to be fixed- planes run multiple 'legs' with the same issues. Heck, I recall an F seat that was broken for MONTHS.
Well, that should not be a problem, since I, for being a German, have a very robust German approach to that issue. And I indeed voiced my dissatisfaction with T-Mobile because I have included (and pay for) the option of unlimited worldwide WiFi.
Old Sep 8, 2014, 9:33 pm
SST

Horrendously slow intl wifi service today on DFW-HKG. Absolutely worthless slow connect, and timeouts sending simple 100 word text emails, no graphics or pix. $19 per flight over and above my $49/month GoGo subscription (newly raised because i needed to update my credit card, thanks). This is ridiculous.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.