Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

FJ / Fiji Airways (ex-Air Pacific) and AA, miles, awards, etc. (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 12, 2015, 11:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
NOTE: AA seems not to be able to see FJ award inventory. Try calling AA Australia (+61 2-9101-1948 ) then press 4 - or the New Zealand number (+64 09-308-4014) as an alternative - although the call center is actually in Suva, Fiji (I believe it's our old South African agency friend Mindpearl) - as they can see the inventory reliably, and you can book. Or, put the FJ segments on hold so you can flesh out the award afterward and/or pay the fees in USD through the US call center.

Fiji Airways is still an AA partner (as well as a codeshare partner of AS, CX, EY, IE, NZ and QF). The partnership has not changed - one earns redeemable (Award) AA miles flying as FJ, AA EQ miles can be earned if flown as AA or QF codeshares (often more expensive); no EQ miles if flown as AS or CX codeshares (as FJ is not a oneworld member).

Resource links:

Link to aa.com page on earning / spending miles on Fiji Airways (may still be referred to as "Air Pacific" on some parts of aa.com)

Link to Fiji Airways new website

Link to Fiji Airways route map

Link to Fiji Airways fleet information
Print Wikipost

FJ / Fiji Airways (ex-Air Pacific) and AA, miles, awards, etc. (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2018, 3:17 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
Using AA miles on Fiji Airways

Hi all, I don't fly much on AA but have some credit card miles I'd like to use on a trip to Fiji (several islands), Vanuatu, and Samoa (next Aug-Sep). There is plenty of availability LAX-NAD-LAX on Fiji Airways. But, I'd like to score a ticket for LAX-VLI (Vanuatu), and/or APW (Samoa)-LAX, with the actual Fiji visit in the middle This would save not only the cost of the extra segment but also the hefty ($94) Fiji departure tax. (I'll have 3 of those if I just get a FF ticket to Fiji, as they are priced into the ticket.) Unfortunately there are no award tix to or from VLI, or from APW (except for occasional crazy connections via OZ). I called AA who said Yup, can't do that, but I don't know how hard they tried.

1) Might there be any award availability that you have to use some advanced tricks to see?
2) Might there be a way to avoid departure tax when you are using separate tickets but don't leave the airport? (All flights are on Fiji airways - maybe a question for them)

Thanks for any hints.
Old Nov 9, 2018, 3:52 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
You stop in Nadi 24 hours or longer, separate awards.

Youndepart Nadi, you paybdeparture tax.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 9:05 pm

Any know about SUV-FUN (Tuvalu) award space on Expert Flyer? A few dates show availability but the AA rep cannot find award space. I have tried both the US & AU call centers.
kingstontoon likes this.

Last edited by IAD_flyer; Feb 23, 2019 at 8:21 pm Reason: Updated
Old Mar 6, 2019, 5:36 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club (Silver), Le Club Accor (Silver)
Originally Posted by IAD_flyer
Any know about SUV-FUN (Tuvalu) award space on Expert Flyer? A few dates show availability but the AA rep cannot find award space. I have tried both the US & AU call centers.
I'm looking for exactly the same thing right now so please let me know if you had any success. I've booked my flights into NAN but frustratingly in the last day or two ALL award availability NAN-SUV has disappeared for May onwards, which is annoying as the Tuvalu flights go from SUV. Now of course in theory it's simple and cheap just to pay cash for NAN-SUV (£22) but I booked my inbound into NAN the night before the FUN flight, thus I really want NAN-SUV-FUN on one ticket incase of IRROPS. Does anyone have any experience of FJ domestic award space simply disappearing for months? Does it come back?!

Cheers!

Last edited by kingstontoon; Mar 6, 2019 at 5:37 pm Reason: .
Old Apr 4, 2019, 3:20 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club (Silver), Le Club Accor (Silver)
Originally Posted by kingstontoon
I'm looking for exactly the same thing right now so please let me know if you had any success. I've booked my flights into NAN but frustratingly in the last day or two ALL award availability NAN-SUV has disappeared for May onwards, which is annoying as the Tuvalu flights go from SUV. Now of course in theory it's simple and cheap just to pay cash for NAN-SUV (£22) but I booked my inbound into NAN the night before the FUN flight, thus I really want NAN-SUV-FUN on one ticket incase of IRROPS. Does anyone have any experience of FJ domestic award space simply disappearing for months? Does it come back?!

Cheers!
Just incase anyone else is watching this thread, I emailed Fiji Airways FAO revenue management asking nicely whether they'd accidentally removed all the NAN-SUV-NAN award availability until the end of time. I never received a response but a day or two later availability reappeared for all dates between now and at least August. I was therefore able to put FUN-SUV-NAN on hold and then called to add an extra segment to Australia. So anyone country ticking, Tuvalu is game on again!
Old Aug 5, 2019, 5:10 pm

Has anyone else noticed that FJ hasn't made any US to NAN award space available at the end of the calendar to American (or Alaska) for almost a month now? Anyone have insight as to why this might be?
Old Aug 5, 2019, 5:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CedarSwampThing
Has anyone else noticed that FJ hasn't made any US to NAN award space available at the end of the calendar to American (or Alaska) for almost a month now? Anyone have insight as to why this might be?
This is likely because of pending fleet changes.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
This is likely because of pending fleet changes.
Thanks for your insight. But I did notice that AA is already showing the A350 in flights between LAX and NAN from around the beginning of 2020
Old Aug 5, 2019, 8:30 pm

Programs: AA - PLT Marriott: Silver
Any update for AA EQM/EQD earn to be implemented on FJ flights? As a sponsor of the Oneworld Connect member FJ, I would've thought AA would have implemented reciprocity by now.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 12:19 pm

Anyone seen a problem with NAN-LAX in business? Generally none available, although a decent amount available to NAN. Cost of paying for the business flight is only $1100, so not the end of the world, just weird that none is available.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 11:18 am

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
Hey DAArksiders,

Booked, CLT-NAN on 8-4 -20 for 3 in BC and SYD-SFO via NAN on 8-11-20 for 3 in BC. Worry about SFO to CLT a little later. Will do a cheap revenue NAN-SYD ticket in between.

Safe Travels.
JDiver likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 12:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TexasAussie
Any update for AA EQM/EQD earn to be implemented on FJ flights? As a sponsor of the Oneworld Connect member FJ, I would've thought AA would have implemented reciprocity by now.
AA has been slow to enhance the AA-FJ Connection, including across the board reciprocal lounge access. They seem satisfied to merely codeshare, etc.

Originally Posted by GTITAN
Hey DAArksiders,

Booked, CLT-NAN on 8-4 -20 for 3 in BC and SYD-SFO via NAN on 8-11-20 for 3 in BC. Worry about SFO to CLT a little later. Will do a cheap revenue NAN-SYD ticket in between.

Safe Travels.
Goodonya!
GTITAN likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2020, 11:37 pm

Programs: AS 100K
noticing that FJ is not releasing any awards from June 13th to July 2nd...anyone know why? Peak season blackout dates?
Old Mar 19, 2021, 8:57 am

Programs: AA Platinum; Hilton Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Noticing that AA doesn't have much (if any) FJ award space in Business from LAX-NAN-AKL remaining in 2021 through 2022. Alaska shows tons of award space. Is it still possible to call AA to reserve availability that is viewable on Alaska, or does AAs website truly show availability?
Old Mar 19, 2021, 10:23 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hertz Gold Plus, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by davidmsilver
Noticing that AA doesn't have much (if any) FJ award space in Business from LAX-NAN-AKL remaining in 2021 through 2022. Alaska shows tons of award space. Is it still possible to call AA to reserve availability that is viewable on Alaska, or does AAs website truly show availability?
Also check for Air Tahiti Nui LAX-PPT-AKL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.