Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

FJ / Fiji Airways (ex-Air Pacific) and AA, miles, awards, etc. (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 12, 2015, 11:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
NOTE: AA seems not to be able to see FJ award inventory. Try calling AA Australia (+61 2-9101-1948 ) then press 4 - or the New Zealand number (+64 09-308-4014) as an alternative - although the call center is actually in Suva, Fiji (I believe it's our old South African agency friend Mindpearl) - as they can see the inventory reliably, and you can book. Or, put the FJ segments on hold so you can flesh out the award afterward and/or pay the fees in USD through the US call center.

Fiji Airways is still an AA partner (as well as a codeshare partner of AS, CX, EY, IE, NZ and QF). The partnership has not changed - one earns redeemable (Award) AA miles flying as FJ, AA EQ miles can be earned if flown as AA or QF codeshares (often more expensive); no EQ miles if flown as AS or CX codeshares (as FJ is not a oneworld member).

Resource links:

Link to aa.com page on earning / spending miles on Fiji Airways (may still be referred to as "Air Pacific" on some parts of aa.com)

Link to Fiji Airways new website

Link to Fiji Airways route map

Link to Fiji Airways fleet information
Print Wikipost

FJ / Fiji Airways (ex-Air Pacific) and AA, miles, awards, etc. (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2017, 6:11 pm

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
Originally Posted by texasrob
Considering the deal posted on FT yesterday, but have no experience with Fiji Airways or Air Pacific. Anyone done this flight and have any feedback? Will fare class R still qualify for at least EQMs for AA? Apologize in advance if these are obvious questions, just trying to avoid a large and expensive mistake before buying 4 tickets. Thanks!
According to the relevant page on aa.com (https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...ji-airways.jsp)
You only earn AAward miles, not EQM

And since R class is not listed, looks like you not even earn AAwards miles
Old Feb 7, 2017, 6:43 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by texasrob
Considering the deal posted on FT yesterday, but have no experience with Fiji Airways or Air Pacific. Anyone done this flight and have any feedback? Will fare class R still qualify for at least EQMs for AA? Apologize in advance if these are obvious questions, just trying to avoid a large and expensive mistake before buying 4 tickets. Thanks!
Please read the Wikipost at the top of the thread in those threads with them; they're generally instructive. The only way you can earn EQM flying FJ is if you buy an AA or QF code share.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 5:42 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Bonvoy Silver, BA, AA, FlyingBlue, IberiaPlus,Wyndham Rewards
Award availability trends US to Fiji?

Anyone have any info on general award availability trends from US to NAN? I'm looking for something along the lines of "they generally release X awards in J/Y 331 days out" or "They tend to release more seats as they get closer to departure," and/or "typically once the initially allotted award seats are taken, they don't release more," etc. I can't find any recent discussion on this matter. Looking to burn AS or AA miles, ideally in J, but will settle for Y. Looking at September 2018.

Thanks.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 5:09 am

Programs: delta gold, marriott platinum, leaders club.
Last month I booked two rt business class LAX-NAN on FIji Air for Memorial Day weekend. Using the Quantas award search engine worked like a charm...there were seats basically every day, both in economy and up front. Just make a Quantas account, use their engine to find your dates, and call in to book.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 5:50 am

Originally Posted by MoMilesMoProblems
Quantas award Quantas account
Oh dear.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 8:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MoMilesMoProblems
Last month I booked two rt business class LAX-NAN on FIji Air for Memorial Day weekend. Using the Quantas award search engine worked like a charm...there were seats basically every day, both in economy and up front. Just make a Quantas account, use their engine to find your dates, and call in to book.
Only "u" put a "u" in Qantas.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by JDiver
Only "u" put a "u" in Qantas.
Quantas - Spirit of Auustralia

Old Apr 20, 2017, 11:05 pm

Programs: MVP Gold 75k - Alaska Airlines
Originally Posted by wlp07
Anyone have any info on general award availability trends from US to NAN? I'm looking for something along the lines of "they generally release X awards in J/Y 331 days out" or "They tend to release more seats as they get closer to departure," and/or "typically once the initially allotted award seats are taken, they don't release more," etc. I can't find any recent discussion on this matter. Looking to burn AS or AA miles, ideally in J, but will settle for Y. Looking at September 2018.

Thanks.
They seem to be released 330 days out (looking at AS site).

I haven't had luck with any J for the LAX-NAN route...just F to LAX (I am looking from SEA), and Y out to NAN. Gah!

Anyone else had luck securing J? I am calling AS tomorrow before booking Y tickets.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 4:27 am
Original Poster

Iirc there's a SFO-NAN routing either newly up or soon, not daily but several times a week. Given the novelty of this route, perhaps availability would be easier?

Links to FJ route map and flight search are in the Wikipost at the top of the page. And if you book the award in Coach but Business becomes available in the future, it's easy to change the award to the higher class of service.

Last edited by JDiver; Apr 21, 2017 at 4:36 am
Old May 12, 2017, 8:26 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Bonvoy Silver, BA, AA, FlyingBlue, IberiaPlus,Wyndham Rewards
Thanks, JDiver. I've been searching the AS site and that SFO-NAN flight never seems to pop up in the saver options (unsure if it's returning in the higher-priced tiers).

Thanks, kimc0486, I've had the exact same issue with searching for J. The AS site will return J availability, but it will only be for a flight or flights connecting to the international gateway, LAX. I haven't been able to run across a single J award on the LAX-NAN flight. Looks like it'll likely end up being Y for me. Please advise how your phone call with AS went.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 9:55 pm

AA to Fiji Airways luggage question (to merge)

Apologies in advance: I am sure this question has been asked 1MM times in most forums on FT; however, I cannot find a relevant thread.

I am flying 1st class from SEA to LAX on AA. I am connecting to Fiji Airways business class to NAN (Nadi Fiji) and will have surf gear with me. What is my free baggage allowance in regard to weight? I don't have any boards so nothing is oversized, I just am wondering about the actually #'s permitted since AA domestic allowance is different than Fiji Airways Lax-Nan allowance. FWIW, this is an AA coded ticket and I have zero status with them.

Thanks and apologies for the oft repeated question. I usually fly just one airline, or at least fly the first leg in the least restrictive airline.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 10:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rowsign
Apologies in advance: I am sure this question has been asked 1MM times in most forums on FT; however, I cannot find a relevant thread.

I am flying 1st class from SEA to LAX on AA. I am connecting to Fiji Airways business class to NAN (Nadi Fiji) and will have surf gear with me. What is my free baggage allowance in regard to weight? I don't have any boards so nothing is oversized, I just am wondering about the actually #'s permitted since AA domestic allowance is different than Fiji Airways Lax-Nan allowance. FWIW, this is an AA coded ticket and I have zero status with them.

Thanks and apologies for the oft repeated question. I usually fly just one airline, or at least fly the first leg in the least restrictive airline.
Bula! Do you have separate PNRs, or did you buy through AA and have a single PNR? If separate (you'll have to recover your bags in LAX and check them in with FJ),

FJ Business Class USA to Nadi (pronounce NAN-dee) is 3 pieces at 30 kg / 66 lb each. See https://www.fijiairways.com/flight-i...ge-allowances/.

But, "On through-checked baggage, USDOT regulations require the marketing carrier of the initial segment baggage rules apply to USA originating (or ending, iirc) flights. E.g. flying QF as an AA codeshare, or QF connecting from AA marketed by AA, AA rules would apply. These take precedent of IATA rules if travel begins (or ends) in the USA." (See Wikipost of thread linked to below.)

Confirmed AA Business Class customers are allowed two checked bags of 32 kg / 70 lb each.

See FAQ: Baggage / Luggage Rules, Allowance on AA & Other Airlines (consolidated) for AA and other airlines (where we will ultimately merge this).

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 10, 2017 at 8:34 am Reason: Correct AA international business limits
Old Aug 9, 2017, 10:18 pm

Single PNR which is why I am a bit confused which applies.

I looked up Fiji Airways luggage and thought, "I am set"....until I realized my first flight was on AA with AA coded ticket. I think I was burning Chase UR's and got a good deal or something because I never use AA. Then again I never fly Fiji Airways!

PS: Thanks for the heads up on the WIKI. I will see if it clears up my questions.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by rowsign

Since you have a USA-originating ticket, the allowance for the entire trip is determined by the First Marketing Carrier (AA), and it is the AA international J allowance because you have an international J ticket. FJ policy does not come into play for you (regardless of whether the FJ flight is marketed by AA). In addition, your baggage allowance is supposed to be stated on your e-ticket receipt.

See wiki (Which carrier's rules apply?): http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html

See also: https://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g...ine.Trips.html
Old Aug 9, 2017, 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingEgghead
In addition, your baggage allowance is supposed to be stated on your e-ticket receipt.
Thank you both very much. Re: "e-ticket receipt" - it was an UR rewards ticket without much info to be clear. I fly internationally in J or F 5-10 times a year; however, not usually on AA and never on Fiji. It was my lack of status, lack of CC luggage waiver, basically lack of anything that had me confused. As usual, I will just pack up my stuff and if I have to fork over some $'s, so be it:-)

American (The "first marketing carrier") seems a bit stingy on the luggage in highest class offered. I rarely carry more than a carry-on unless I have a kite/surf adventure planned, but if I wasn't going to Fiji I would avoid these guys.

Edit: I reviewed their baggage policy and it looks like trans-pacific is two #70 bags in business or first? I really do appreciate your patience on this and hopefully someone else can read this and avoid the drama:-)!

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 10, 2017 at 8:34 am Reason: add weight policy / (Mod: close quote)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.