Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

FJ / Fiji Airways (ex-Air Pacific) and AA, miles, awards, etc. (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 12, 2015, 11:14 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
NOTE: AA seems not to be able to see FJ award inventory. Try calling AA Australia (+61 2-9101-1948 ) then press 4 - or the New Zealand number (+64 09-308-4014) as an alternative - although the call center is actually in Suva, Fiji (I believe it's our old South African agency friend Mindpearl) - as they can see the inventory reliably, and you can book. Or, put the FJ segments on hold so you can flesh out the award afterward and/or pay the fees in USD through the US call center.

Fiji Airways is still an AA partner (as well as a codeshare partner of AS, CX, EY, IE, NZ and QF). The partnership has not changed - one earns redeemable (Award) AA miles flying as FJ, AA EQ miles can be earned if flown as AA or QF codeshares (often more expensive); no EQ miles if flown as AS or CX codeshares (as FJ is not a oneworld member).

Resource links:

Link to aa.com page on earning / spending miles on Fiji Airways (may still be referred to as "Air Pacific" on some parts of aa.com)

Link to Fiji Airways new website

Link to Fiji Airways route map

Link to Fiji Airways fleet information
Print Wikipost

FJ / Fiji Airways (ex-Air Pacific) and AA, miles, awards, etc. (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2015, 3:55 pm

I was afraid of that. Thanks for the verification!
Old Feb 1, 2015, 1:22 pm

Programs: AA CK, SPG Plat, IHG Plat
AA Elite Qualifying Miles on Fiji Airways?

I'm in need of some quick help; I have an hour left in my cancellation window! I booked travel on Fiji Airways; the fare class is V. I thought that would allow me to accrue elite qualifying miles with AA, but I'm now worried that it will only earn me redeemable miles. Does anyone know whether I'll earn AA elite qualifying miles?
Outbound: LAX - NAN - SYD
Return: SYD - NAN - LAX

Thanks!!
Old Feb 1, 2015, 1:34 pm

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
No EQM. You'll earn only RDM on Fiji.
http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/ea...ijiAirways.jsp
Old Feb 1, 2015, 1:42 pm

Well shoot. That's a bummer. Time to get on the phone and cancel this reservation. Thanks for the quick help!

Follow up: I also have travel scheduled to Australia on Qantas. I booked through Qantas in the appropriate fare codes for AA EQM. Is there anything I've missed to make sure these flights are elite qualifying?
Old Feb 1, 2015, 2:01 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Same as what was mentioned above...use the charts that AA has published and you'll be fine.

Here's the chart for Qantas: http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/ea...nes/qantas.jsp

Remember, if you book an AA flight number, you'll earn mile just like an AA flight. If you book a Qantas flight number, you'll need to refer to the partner chart.

Happy trails!
Old Feb 1, 2015, 2:17 pm

Thanks for the response. Yeah, I've been referring to those charts and am booked in fare classes that accrue at 100% on Qantas (B, Y, T), but just want to be positive those are elite qualifying even though I booked on the Qantas website and my ticket has QF flight numbers. I had thought that booking through Fiji in the correct fare classes would earn EQM; since that doesn't appear to be the case, I just want to double check on the Qantas itinerary. Thanks, everyone!
Old Feb 1, 2015, 5:29 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by thecurtisw
Well shoot. That's a bummer. Time to get on the phone and cancel this reservation. Thanks for the quick help!

Follow up: I also have travel scheduled to Australia on Qantas. I booked through Qantas in the appropriate fare codes for AA EQM. Is there anything I've missed to make sure these flights are elite qualifying?
We've merged your query into the existing thread. /Moderator

On Fiji Airways you can book Qantas or AA codeshare; those would earn AA miles. The Air Fiji chart doesn't say the miles you earn are EQ, and FJ isn't a oneworld partner. RDM only flying them as FJ. The legend on the FJ AA miles accrual page says:

Earn miles when flying on Fiji Airways marketed and operated flights for travel on an eligible published fare ticket. Miles are also earned on Fiji Airways codeshare flights operated by American Airlines.
What it doesn't say is they are Elite Qualifying.

As to Qantas be sure your fares appear on the chart here. As QF is a oneworld partner, those will be EQM (other than the bonus miles). But be sure you're looking at the chart entitled "Effective for flights flown on/after February 1, 2015". The QF miles page shows:

Travel on Qantas and affiliate airlines counts toward qualifying for AAdvantage elite status membership.

Last edited by JDiver; Feb 1, 2015 at 6:46 pm
Old Feb 1, 2015, 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
We've merged your query into the existing thread. /Moderator

What it doesn't say is they are Elite Qualifying.

:
Thanks for that thorough response; very helpful! When you say, "What it doesn't say is they are Elite Qualifying," does that mean they ARE elite qualifying? Or since it doesn't say it, they ARE NOT elite qualifying?
Old Feb 1, 2015, 10:39 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Thanks for that thorough response; very helpful! When you say, "What it doesn't say is they are Elite Qualifying," does that mean they ARE elite qualifying? Or since it doesn't say it, they ARE NOT elite qualifying?
When it says "counts toward qualifying for AAdvantage elite status membership" you get EQM. If it doesn't mention that, as on the FJ page, it's redeemable miles but not EQ.
Old Feb 3, 2015, 4:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I'm in need of some quick help; I have an hour left in my cancellation window! I booked travel on Fiji Airways; the fare class is V. I thought that would allow me to accrue elite qualifying miles with AA, but I'm now worried that it will only earn me redeemable miles. Does anyone know whether I'll earn AA elite qualifying miles?
Outbound: LAX - NAN - SYD
Return: SYD - NAN - LAX

Thanks!!
You will NOT earn EQMs.
I hope you found this out before cxl.

Last edited by chavala; Feb 3, 2015 at 4:22 pm Reason: ad
Old Feb 8, 2015, 11:34 pm

Yeah, thanks to this forum, I got it figured out and cancelled my flights before the 24hr window closed. I would have been extremely upset at myself if I hadn't caught the lack of any mention of EQM and hadn't looked into it. I'm now flying CX. I'm pretty happy about the extra EQM routing through HKG instead of directly to SYD!
Old Feb 23, 2015, 3:36 pm

Programs: AS MVP 75K, AA Platinum, IHG Platinum, Club Carlson Gold
Has anyone been able to book award flights operated by Fiji Link? FJ makes domestic Fiji award space available on Fiji Link under a codeshare, but AA agents tell me they can't book it as part of an AA award.

The space is searchable on QF like all other FJ space.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 4:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by AwardBee
Has anyone been able to book award flights operated by Fiji Link? FJ makes domestic Fiji award space available on Fiji Link under a codeshare, but AA agents tell me they can't book it as part of an AA award.

The space is searchable on QF like all other FJ space.
Tried with no luck either
Old May 23, 2015, 7:37 pm
Suspended

Earning AA miles flying Air Fiji

Hi,

I found this web page http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/ea...ijiAirways.jsp

but can't really make head or tail of it.

Is it saying if you fly Air Fiji you can earn AA miles or is it saying its the other way around?

Thanks!
Old May 23, 2015, 7:51 pm

Programs: Discretely with AA-G AFFB-C2 UA-EP LHLX-S HH-D
Originally Posted by inpd
Is it saying if you fly Air Fiji you can earn AA miles or is it saying its the other way around?
Bula!

Yes.
(if you are of a civilised and educated culture)
(silly question!!)

Heads, tails, tails, heads, both, all.
(If you suffered induction in this world in USAmerican culture).

Good people, Air Fiji.
Good air, Fiji people.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.