FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   FJ / Fiji Airways (ex-Air Pacific) and AA, miles, awards, etc. (consolidated) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1436326-fj-fiji-airways-ex-air-pacific-aa-miles-awards-etc-consolidated.html)

SDandi Jan 22, 2015 3:55 pm

I was afraid of that. Thanks for the verification!

thecurtisw Feb 1, 2015 1:22 pm

AA Elite Qualifying Miles on Fiji Airways?

I'm in need of some quick help; I have an hour left in my cancellation window! I booked travel on Fiji Airways; the fare class is V. I thought that would allow me to accrue elite qualifying miles with AA, but I'm now worried that it will only earn me redeemable miles. Does anyone know whether I'll earn AA elite qualifying miles?
Outbound: LAX - NAN - SYD
Return: SYD - NAN - LAX

Thanks!!

bhomburg Feb 1, 2015 1:34 pm

No EQM. You'll earn only RDM on Fiji.
http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/ea...ijiAirways.jsp

thecurtisw Feb 1, 2015 1:42 pm

Well shoot. That's a bummer. Time to get on the phone and cancel this reservation. Thanks for the quick help!

Follow up: I also have travel scheduled to Australia on Qantas. I booked through Qantas in the appropriate fare codes for AA EQM. Is there anything I've missed to make sure these flights are elite qualifying?

JY1024 Feb 1, 2015 2:01 pm

Same as what was mentioned above...use the charts that AA has published and you'll be fine. :)

Here's the chart for Qantas: http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/ea...nes/qantas.jsp

Remember, if you book an AA flight number, you'll earn mile just like an AA flight. If you book a Qantas flight number, you'll need to refer to the partner chart.

Happy trails! :)

thecurtisw Feb 1, 2015 2:17 pm

Thanks for the response. Yeah, I've been referring to those charts and am booked in fare classes that accrue at 100% on Qantas (B, Y, T), but just want to be positive those are elite qualifying even though I booked on the Qantas website and my ticket has QF flight numbers. I had thought that booking through Fiji in the correct fare classes would earn EQM; since that doesn't appear to be the case, I just want to double check on the Qantas itinerary. Thanks, everyone!

JDiver Feb 1, 2015 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by thecurtisw (Post 24273571)
Well shoot. That's a bummer. Time to get on the phone and cancel this reservation. Thanks for the quick help!

Follow up: I also have travel scheduled to Australia on Qantas. I booked through Qantas in the appropriate fare codes for AA EQM. Is there anything I've missed to make sure these flights are elite qualifying?

We've merged your query into the existing thread. /Moderator

On Fiji Airways you can book Qantas or AA codeshare; those would earn AA miles. The Air Fiji chart doesn't say the miles you earn are EQ, and FJ isn't a oneworld partner. RDM only flying them as FJ. The legend on the FJ AA miles accrual page says:

Earn miles when flying on Fiji Airways marketed and operated flights for travel on an eligible published fare ticket. Miles are also earned on Fiji Airways codeshare flights operated by American Airlines.
What it doesn't say is they are Elite Qualifying.

As to Qantas be sure your fares appear on the chart here. As QF is a oneworld partner, those will be EQM (other than the bonus miles). But be sure you're looking at the chart entitled "Effective for flights flown on/after February 1, 2015". The QF miles page shows:

Travel on Qantas and affiliate airlines counts toward qualifying for AAdvantage elite status membership.

thecurtisw Feb 1, 2015 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver (Post 24274592)
We've merged your query into the existing thread. /Moderator

What it doesn't say is they are Elite Qualifying.

:

Thanks for that thorough response; very helpful! When you say, "What it doesn't say is they are Elite Qualifying," does that mean they ARE elite qualifying? Or since it doesn't say it, they ARE NOT elite qualifying?

JDiver Feb 1, 2015 10:39 pm

Originally Posted by thecurtisw (Post 24275682)
Thanks for that thorough response; very helpful! When you say, "What it doesn't say is they are Elite Qualifying," does that mean they ARE elite qualifying? Or since it doesn't say it, they ARE NOT elite qualifying?

When it says "counts toward qualifying for AAdvantage elite status membership" you get EQM. If it doesn't mention that, as on the FJ page, it's redeemable miles but not EQ.

chavala Feb 3, 2015 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by thecurtisw (Post 24273489)
I'm in need of some quick help; I have an hour left in my cancellation window! I booked travel on Fiji Airways; the fare class is V. I thought that would allow me to accrue elite qualifying miles with AA, but I'm now worried that it will only earn me redeemable miles. Does anyone know whether I'll earn AA elite qualifying miles?
Outbound: LAX - NAN - SYD
Return: SYD - NAN - LAX

Thanks!!

You will NOT earn EQMs.
I hope you found this out before cxl.

thecurtisw Feb 8, 2015 11:34 pm

Yeah, thanks to this forum, I got it figured out and cancelled my flights before the 24hr window closed. I would have been extremely upset at myself if I hadn't caught the lack of any mention of EQM and hadn't looked into it. I'm now flying CX. I'm pretty happy about the extra EQM routing through HKG instead of directly to SYD!

AwardBee Feb 23, 2015 3:36 pm

Has anyone been able to book award flights operated by Fiji Link? FJ makes domestic Fiji award space available on Fiji Link under a codeshare, but AA agents tell me they can't book it as part of an AA award.

The space is searchable on QF like all other FJ space.

chavala Feb 23, 2015 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by AwardBee (Post 24402688)
Has anyone been able to book award flights operated by Fiji Link? FJ makes domestic Fiji award space available on Fiji Link under a codeshare, but AA agents tell me they can't book it as part of an AA award.

The space is searchable on QF like all other FJ space.

Tried with no luck either

inpd May 23, 2015 7:37 pm

Earning AA miles flying Air Fiji

Hi,

I found this web page http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/ea...ijiAirways.jsp

but can't really make head or tail of it.

Is it saying if you fly Air Fiji you can earn AA miles or is it saying its the other way around?

Thanks!

PaulRO May 23, 2015 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by inpd (Post 24860606)
Is it saying if you fly Air Fiji you can earn AA miles or is it saying its the other way around?

Bula!

Yes.
(if you are of a civilised and educated culture)
(silly question!!)

Heads, tails, tails, heads, both, all.
(If you suffered induction in this world in USAmerican culture).

Good people, Air Fiji.
Good air, Fiji people.