Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

FJ / Fiji Airways (ex-Air Pacific) and AA, miles, awards, etc. (consolidated)

FJ / Fiji Airways (ex-Air Pacific) and AA, miles, awards, etc. (consolidated)

Hide Wikipost
Old Aug 5, 19, 9:54 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link

(ex-Air Pacific)

NOTE: AA seems not to be able to see FJ award inventory. Try calling AA Australia (+61 2-9101-1948 ) then press 4 - or the New Zealand number (+64 09-308-4014) as an alternative - although the call center is actually in Suva, Fiji (I believe it's our old South African agency friend Mindpearl) - as they can see the inventory reliably, and you can book. Or, put the FJ segments on hold so you can flesh out the award afterward and/or pay the fees in USD through the US call center.

Air Pacific (46% Qantas owned, 51% Fiji government owned) rebranded as Fiji Airways (as of June 2013 - follow the topic and changes here: Air Pacific becoming Fiji Airways (again) & securing three A330-200s (2013) in the Other Asian, Australian and South Pacific Frequent Flyer Programs. In 2016, an A330-300 initiated service NAN-LAX, and in 2017 NAN-SFO.

New aircraft, configuration, new baggage limits etc. for 2016 are in this FT thread.

Fiji Airways is still an AA partner (as well as a codeshare partner of AS, CX, EY, IE, NZ and QF). The partnership has not changed - one earns redeemable (Award) AA miles flying as FJ, AA EQ miles can be earned if flown as AA or QF codeshares (often more expensive); no EQ miles if flown as AS or CX codeshares (as FJ is not a oneworld member).

Business (née Tambua) Class in both (three) A330-200 and (one) -300: 24 Zodiac / Weber 7811 8 degree from horizontal angled lie-flats with A/C and USB, 15.4" screen with Panasonic eX2 AVOD in 2 x 2 x 2 configuration. (The SQ leased 747 offered 28 Tabua seats - not much of a loss here.)

Economy (née Pacific Voyager) Class: 249 (289 in-300) Weber 5751 slim-line with IFE, A/C and USB power in a 2 x 4 x 2 configuration with 31-32" pitch and 7.5" total recline (6" seat back movement, 1.5" seat base movement) and 9" Panasonic touchscreen AVOD with controls in the seatback (not armrest). (747 offered 430 with 32" in Pacific Voyager, a major seat capacity reduction.)

Starting your trip in Nadi in. Business Class you will be able to access the new Fiji Airways Premier Lounge (but as FJ is not a oneworld airline, status alone won’t get you in).

"Bula", pronounced mboo-lah, short for "ni sa bula", merely is the typical Fijian "hello" and "welcome"; it's not a class of service. Fiji Airways Premier Lounge is the name for their NAN lounge and VIP club; it is costly and bureaucratically challenging to join - but if you're flying FJ a lot, it offers an additional checked in bag, lounge access and other perqs.[/quote]

Resource links:

Link to aa.com page on earning / spending miles on Fiji Airways (may still be referred to as "Air Pacific" on some parts of aa.com)

Link to Fiji Airways new website

Link to Fiji Airways route map

Link to Fiji Airways fleet information

Link to Fiji Airways baggage allowance tables

Link to rebranding article showcasing new appearance, symbology, etc.

Link to A330-200 seat diagram (PDF document)

The USA will see Fiji Airways A330-300 flight to Los Angeles on January 2016. See Link[/B][/U] to article with photos; link to page with information, photos and video (Australian Business Traveller). And FJ serves SFO on select days.

Link to Airline Reporter illustrated article on the new Fiji Airways A330-200 product.
Code:
OUR FLEET
 Fiji Airways flights are available on modern Boeing and Airbus 
 aircraft, ranging from the 122 seat 737-700 to the brand new 
 A330-200 seating 273. Passengers will enjoy the comfort of our 
 modern fleet of Boeing 737 aircraft, or one of the new Airbus 
 A330-200 aircraft (and new A330-300).

Boeing 737-700 (one)
 Total capacity: 122
 Saleable configuration: 8 Business Class | 114 Economy Class
 Business Class seating: 48" pitch, 18" recline, in-seat video with 
 6 video channels and 10 audio channels
 Economy Class seating: 29-32" pitch, 6" recline. Drop down screens 
 every 3 rows, with main screen video and 10 audio channels.

Boeing 737-800 (five, adding three more)
 Total capacity: 164
 Saleable configuration: 8 Business Class | 156 Economy Class
 Business Class seating: 48" pitch, 18" recline, in-seat video with 
 6 video channels and 10 audio channels
 Economy Class seating: 32" pitch, 6" recline. Drop down screens 
 every 3 rows, with main screen video and 10 audio channels.

Airbus A330-200 (three)
 Total capacity: 273
 Saleable configuration: 24 Business Class | 249 Economy Class
 Business Class seating: 60" pitch, 8 degree angled lie flat bed, in-seat 
 video with 15.4” monitors, in-seat power and entertainment on demand
 Economy Class seating: 31-32" pitch, 7.5" recline, in-seat video with 
 10.6” monitors, in-seat USB power and entertainment on demand

Airbus A330-300 (one)
 Total capacity: 313
 Saleable configuration: 24 Business Class | 289 Economy Class
 Business Class seating: 60" pitch, 8 degree angled lie flat bed, in-seat 
 video with 15.4” monitors, in-seat power and entertainment on demand
 Economy Class seating: 31-32" pitch, 7.5" recline, in-seat video with 
 10.6” monitors, in-seat USB power and entertainment on demand

De Havilland DHC-6 Twin Otters Fleet (Operated by Pacific Sun)
 Total capacity: 12

ATR 42-500 Fleet (Operated by Pacific Sun)
 Total capacity: 42
”On May 2, 2019. Fiji Airways announced its intention to lease 2 Airbus A350-900 as a part of their fleet expansion, these will operate routes to Australia, New Zealand and The United States of America . They will be delivered between November and December 2019. They have been leased from Dubai Aerospace Enterprise.[14] These A350 frames were supposedly going to be delivered to Hong Kong Airlines however following the cancellation of their order,they were purchased by Dubai Aerospace Enterprise.” — Wikipedia
Print Wikipost

Old Mar 1, 14, 5:16 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Possibly -see the wiki, and you might have to look at other airlines' websites (e.g. Qantas) or ask in the Other Asian, Australian, and South Pacific Airlines Forum. Look for Fiji Airways, not Air Fiji.

Originally Posted by Eddy421 View Post
Hi,
is there any other way to get Air Fiji award other than with AA and AS miles ?
Thanks

Last edited by JDiver; Jan 13, 15 at 12:27 am
Old Jul 26, 14, 7:07 pm

Programs: NZ Silver
Am flying AKL-NAN-HNL on FJ - can someone please point me to the paid airport upgrade prices please?? I can't find them on their website.
Old Jul 26, 14, 7:21 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box
Original Poster

Originally Posted by brenrox View Post
Am flying AKL-NAN-HNL on FJ - can someone please point me to the paid airport upgrade prices please?? I can't find them on their website.
The counter upgrade prices for an upgrade to Business Class (previously called Tabua Class, not Bula Class,) are, according to their website:

Code:
"Airport Business class upgrades

The following optional upgrade options are subject 
to availability at the time of check-in." (Adults)

Los Angeles - Nadi	USD 1,340	
Nadi - Los Angeles	FJD 2,580
Honolulu - Nadi.        USD 370
Nadi - Honolulu.        FJD 520
At today's rate FJD 2580 = USD 1,400.

See here (assuming availability). No AKL upgrade prices are listed; inquire at check-in (and hopefully, share here).

Last edited by JDiver; Jul 26, 14 at 7:33 pm
Old Aug 3, 14, 8:34 am

Programs: aa
I am trying to look at ward seats on FJ for June/July 2015 of QFF website and am having some trouble. I am looking for 3 seats in Y. Does anyone know if the seats are released 330 days out? it looks like May has a lot of award availability, but nothing in June so far. There is one date open in June for 3 seats in business, but nothing in Y. I am looking to go NAN-LAX.

Thanks!
Old Aug 3, 14, 7:57 pm

Programs: Qantas, American Airlines, Hyatt, Accor
Originally Posted by travelinterpreters View Post
I am trying to look at ward seats on FJ for June/July 2015 of QFF website and am having some trouble. I am looking for 3 seats in Y. Does anyone know if the seats are released 330 days out? it looks like May has a lot of award availability, but nothing in June so far. There is one date open in June for 3 seats in business, but nothing in Y. I am looking to go NAN-LAX.

Thanks!
Since most availability seems to end on May 31 it looks like June/July haven't been loaded. Maybe a call to QFF would be wortwhile.
Old Aug 3, 14, 8:38 pm

Programs: AS MVP 75K, AA Platinum, IHG Platinum, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by grussellt View Post
Since most availability seems to end on May 31 it looks like June/July haven't been loaded. Maybe a call to QFF would be wortwhile.
I would call AA in this case, assuming he's trying to book w/ AA miles. QFF is just to search.
Old Aug 5, 14, 3:57 pm

FYI, i found that award seats taken out of inventory are NOT returned if the hold is cancelled or (if already booked) dates are changed, at least if you're traveling soon. Unfortunately, I had to change my plans twice, and the LAX-NAN award seat did not come back.
Old Jan 12, 15, 9:42 pm

Programs: Trans Global Airlines Frequent Stowaway
Fiji Airways Award Availability on AA

Hey there all. I apologize if this has been covered elsewhere but I couldn't find it after at least 15 minutes of exhaustive searching. Maybe even 20 minutes.

I want to use AA miles for travel on Fiji Airways. Preferably to Los Angeles, but I know that might be difficult so I would accept Hong Kong. The question I have for you is how I can check availability. I tried Alaska's website but it doesn't seem like they have NAN-HKG coded in as a permissible route.

I then tried Qantas's, which seems alright, but I don't know if it matches up with AA -- if I see Qantas Classic Award space (72,000 miles for this particular route in business) will AA "see" the space too and allow me to book it? Or is there something I'm missing here?
Old Jan 12, 15, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Your question involves using AA miles on FJ. Have a look at these threads in the AA forum for a start:
<removed circular link post merge>
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...es-2014-a.html

Last edited by Microwave; Jan 13, 15 at 5:41 am Reason: removed circular link post merge
Old Jan 12, 15, 11:18 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
The AA forum is where this is headed.

Gardyloo
Oneworld moderator

Last edited by Microwave; Jan 13, 15 at 5:41 am Reason: Removed quote of edited post
Old Jan 13, 15, 5:42 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton, Marriott/SPG Platinum, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by RuthlesslyAbsurd View Post
Hey there all. I apologize if this has been covered elsewhere but I couldn't find it after at least 15 minutes of exhaustive searching. Maybe even 20 minutes.

I want to use AA miles for travel on Fiji Airways. Preferably to Los Angeles, but I know that might be difficult so I would accept Hong Kong. The question I have for you is how I can check availability. I tried Alaska's website but it doesn't seem like they have NAN-HKG coded in as a permissible route.

I then tried Qantas's, which seems alright, but I don't know if it matches up with AA -- if I see Qantas Classic Award space (72,000 miles for this particular route in business) will AA "see" the space too and allow me to book it? Or is there something I'm missing here?
Originally Posted by Gardyloo View Post
The AA forum is where this is headed.

Gardyloo
Oneworld moderator
And I in turn will merge it into the extant thread on this topic.

~Moderator
Old Jan 13, 15, 10:40 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by RuthlesslyAbsurd View Post
Yes, the amount of miles you need from AA are different (lower), but it matches exactly and we've found it to be totally reliable.
The only problem is QF sees it a month before AA does, so the Aussies will beat you to the seats.
Good luck getting the non-stop LAX-NAN flight. We have to go thru Samoa (but still hoping for something to open up)
Old Jan 13, 15, 9:37 pm

Programs: Trans Global Airlines Frequent Stowaway
Originally Posted by chavala View Post
Yes, the amount of miles you need from AA are different (lower), but it matches exactly and we've found it to be totally reliable.
The only problem is QF sees it a month before AA does, so the Aussies will beat you to the seats.
Good luck getting the non-stop LAX-NAN flight. We have to go thru Samoa (but still hoping for something to open up)
Yeahhhhhhh I don't have much hope for the non-stop but I see that HKG shows up with a fair bit of regularity. So I can hopefully plan on that. And only, what, 30k AA one-way in business? Even if I have to get a separate award from HKG I can deal with that.

Thanks for your help, man!
Old Jan 22, 15, 3:48 pm

Hi all.
Those who have successfully upgraded to business on Fiji airways, using AA miles- was your original economy ticket paid for in cash or was it purchased using AA miles?

My initial plan was to purchase a ticket from LAX-NAN with cash and then upgrade with AA miles. When I called AA, they said in order to upgrade using AA miles, the economy ticket had to be booked using AA miles. Has that been other's experience?

Thank you!
Old Jan 22, 15, 4:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SDandi View Post
Hi all.
Those who have successfully upgraded to business on Fiji airways, using AA miles- was your original economy ticket paid for in cash or was it purchased using AA miles?

My initial plan was to purchase a ticket from LAX-NAN with cash and then upgrade with AA miles. When I called AA, they said in order to upgrade using AA miles, the economy ticket had to be booked using AA miles. Has that been other's experience?

Thank you!
You can't upgrade FJ paid tickets with AA miles. Unfortunately, the AA agent was correct, as you can "upgrade" an Economy award to a Business award if there's Business award availability.

Fiji Airways does sell counter upgrades to Business class if seats are available. And some airlines (TN is one) that will not sell counter upgrades if you are on a codeshare.

AAdvantage members may use AAdvantage miles to upgrade on American Airlines, British Airways and Iberia flights*.
link

Search this Thread
Search Engine: