Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Redeeming Miles for Awards on Malaysia Airlines / MH (Master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 1, 2013, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Awards book into P (First Class), U (Business Class) and X (Economy Class). Awards do not incur "YQ" fees; MH now seems to be releasing F award seats to AA (post #173).

Link to Malaysia Airlines website

Link to archived announcement of MH to join oneworld FT thread.
Print Wikipost

Redeeming Miles for Awards on Malaysia Airlines / MH (Master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2019, 2:36 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
Originally Posted by nov11
Yes, for all intent and purposes, "Business Suite" is the old "First". I am surprised you can book Business Suite using miles though. I thought you can't, but good news nonetheless.
When I attempted to book it on the app, even after it showed availability for "First", I got an error where it snapped back. I was trying to book two award seats, and the app was showing availability for First in P class when I searched for two seats, but only one seat in Business in U class. I called the EXP line, and the agent couldn't find any award availability in "First" or P class. Agent could find only the one seat in Business in U class. I'll try again later. Bottom line: doesn't look like Business Suite is going to be bookable on AA miles.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 2:50 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
Originally Posted by MegatopLover
I'll try again later. Bottom line: doesn't look like Business Suite is going to be bookable on AA miles.
It shouldn't be. P is a revenue class now and MH didn't make Business Suite awards available after the re-branding.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 7:31 pm

Programs: AA PPro, TP Gold, UA Silver, Bonvoy/Hilton Gold, Global Entry
Well that's confusing!

I've seen travel bloggers post trip reports on the Business Suites with an AAdvantage award though...?
If there really are no Business Suites awards, it seems like a massive oversight on AA's part to show widespread availability for them on their website.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 7:58 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
Originally Posted by JMBResona
Well that's confusing!

I've seen travel bloggers post trip reports on the Business Suites with an AAdvantage award though...?
If there really are no Business Suites awards, it seems like a massive oversight on AA's part to show widespread availability for them on their website.
The probably booked it before the switchover or when it was marketed as First as I did. NRT/KIX-KUL was available almost everyday.

Someone either didn't get the memo, someone forgot to send the memo, or someone forgot to update their earning tables, but P is a revenue booking class and now earns SC/TP/EQM on most OW carriers.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 6:40 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
Originally Posted by nov11
It shouldn't be. P is a revenue class now and MH didn't make Business Suite awards available after the re-branding.
Got it, thank you.

How often does MH release a second award seat to AA on the Japan routes? Looking at KIX, wondering if I book one seat will a second seat open up later? Willing to pay for the second seat on a revenue basis, though fares are pretty steep.
Old Apr 13, 2020, 10:10 am

I'm trying to book a MH business class award seat for intra-asia travel later this year.
However whenever I click on the flight I want on AA's search results page, it says an error has occurred and tells me to select a different flight.
When I select a different flight, I am able to book it, so this makes me think I might be running into phantom award space for MH here.
Is this a common issue for MH awards, and does anyone know whether phantom award space would turn into real award space eventually for MH?
Old Dec 27, 2020, 4:19 pm

Hi everyone. I am trying to book some intra Asia trips on MH 737 operated flights for Fall 2021. I notice that almost all 737 operated flights only have 1 economy and 1 business class seat award seat at this time (searched using BA Avios). Does MH release more award seats closer to departure?
Old Dec 27, 2020, 4:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

not something to be relied upon; have seen it not open up more often than I have seen it open up when hoping for an extra seat - ( for business class )
Old Apr 20, 2021, 2:35 am

Programs: Nothing shiny :-(
If I look at AA's MH availability from LHR - KUL - SYD for 2 in business in late December and January on aa.com, there is availability on both legs pretty much every day. If I look on BA, there's availability on the KUL - SYD leg for many days (though of course whether the flights will run is another matter) but nothing for the dates I am looking at for LHR - KUL. If I try and put flights on hold on aa.com, I simply get redirected back to the previous page, though I get as far as being able to put passenger names in for the same flights in economy (not tried to get any further). Phantom availability for the LHR - KUL business class flights?
Old Apr 20, 2021, 5:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by louie-m
Phantom availability for the LHR - KUL business class flights?
Most likely yes, especially as space is not showing at ba.com for the LHR-KUL segment.
Old Jan 27, 2022, 11:10 am

Need some assistance...booked MH using AA miles MNL-CMB for fiance through KUL. Two weeks before our flight, MH cancels the MNL-KUL. There was already only one flight a day and now, the next flight to take is a full two days later due to limits on flight from KUL-CMB. This causes all kinds of issues with our trip as you can imagine (I'm flying from the US to meet, so I can't exactly redo my flights very easily using miles). Does MH have any responsibility to rebook her sooner, even on another airline? Using miles or cash shouldn't matter, but to say the next available flight is two days later is kind of crazy. What if there were non-refundable hotels involved (I already know the answer, the airline isn't going to cover that)? I spoke to AA and they pretty much said take the flight two days later or cancel and get miles back. Wouldn't be so bad, but this is 2 weeks before the trip, so it pretty much kills any rebooking options due to availability. And while the easy option is to just have her take the flight two days later, due to immigration craziness in MNL, I need her to leave before me in case she gets offloaded.
Old Jan 27, 2022, 4:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The only other options would seem to be to purchase a ticket from MNL-KUL and then take the orginal flight from KUL-CMB or just purchase a ticket from MNL-CMB and take the refund ; does SQ operate flights that day?
Old Jan 27, 2022, 8:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by Mrgolfer21
Need some assistance...booked MH using AA miles MNL-CMB for fiance through KUL. Two weeks before our flight, MH cancels the MNL-KUL. There was already only one flight a day and now, the next flight to take is a full two days later due to limits on flight from KUL-CMB. This causes all kinds of issues with our trip as you can imagine (I'm flying from the US to meet, so I can't exactly redo my flights very easily using miles)...
Any option to rebook to transit (airside only) via NRT/HND to KUL? JL's schedules are fairly reliable close-in and award availability remains good. TYO is relatively easy to transit right now, even on separate tickets. Perhaps your fiance could fly MNL-TYO and meet you there for onwards travel to KUL/CMB. You'd be unable to leave the transit side of the airport, and checked luggage coule be a challange depaning on the airlines you use, but it could work. Granted not ideal, but might do possible to rebook fairly easily/inexpensively and still keep your existing KUL-CMB segment.

-FlyerBeek
Old Feb 28, 2022, 10:51 am

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
Malaysia Airlines Awards on aa.com

System shows MH Awards, number of AAdvantage miles required and taxes.

However when you request to book the selected available flights I get the same Identical message on every date I've tried

Choose a different flight or fare

We're sorry but at least one of the flights or fares you chose is no longer available.

Anybody have a cure to this Glitch?
Old Feb 28, 2022, 4:14 pm

I have a booking using AA miles, SFO-NRT (JL) NRT-KUL (MH). AA won't ticket me an infant (lap) ticket because apparently they can't with MH. Anyone got any work arounds? Currently on phone with MH to try convince them to ticket it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.