Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Redeeming Miles for Awards on Malaysia Airlines / MH (Master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 1, 2013, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Awards book into P (First Class), U (Business Class) and X (Economy Class). Awards do not incur "YQ" fees; MH now seems to be releasing F award seats to AA (post #173).

Link to Malaysia Airlines website

Link to archived announcement of MH to join oneworld FT thread.
Print Wikipost

Redeeming Miles for Awards on Malaysia Airlines / MH (Master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2017, 9:18 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
Originally Posted by gnomey
So just to confirm, when you say "once it's reserved, it is gone". So does my action of putting the biz award seats on hold now with AA (but didnt yet ticket the flight) also considered 'reserved'? or does 'reserved' mean officially ticketed?
Reserved as in once you reserved the seat, whether ticketed or not (MH or AA will auto-cancel if it's not ticketed within a certain timeframe). Previously "it's gone" as in, if someone booked the U space, another U space won't be released even though the J cabin is half-empty (exhaustive).

I don't know what the YQ is, but international tax ex-AU is pretty high ~$70 USD. If you are using KF miles, just fly up to BNE and take the 350 which will have the new J.
Old Nov 8, 2017, 12:53 pm

Programs: AA PLT / 2MM
Anyone know why there is always either 0 or 1 seats from SIN-KUL on MH on all the many flights between XMas and NY's? Do they purposely release 1 seat only on these flights? Thanks.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 10:07 am

I booked SYD-KUL-BKK on MH using AA miles, the booking shows as confirmed and ticketed in my AA account although no e-ticket number present.. but trying to look the booking up anywhere else provides no luck.

Is this down to simply a Sabre/Amadeus issue? The booking reference given by AA is 6 letters.

Is it best just to call MH and try and get their own booming reference so I can complete things like seat selection etc?

flights not for a few months so time isn't really an issue, More after peace of mind.

I've got to say, it was much easier dealing with AA phone staff than LM staff any time ive called them... Then again I've usually been calling them to cancel/change a flight 🐷
Old Nov 30, 2017, 12:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If you phone AA or MH, you will be able to get the MH record locator

You will then be able to us ethat on the Malaysia Airlines site to manage the booking
DunhillGrey likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 10:46 am

Can we use AA miles to book nrt-kul in first class? Does MH allow this?
Old Apr 20, 2018, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by IamHungry
Can we use AA miles to book nrt-kul in first class? Does MH allow this?
You sure can. Books into P class. KIX-KUL will be operated by 350 beginning August too, but F class is not open for reservations yet (and certain NRT-KUL flights are operated by 380. Sold as 3-cabin as well).
Old Apr 20, 2018, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by nov11
You sure can. Books into P class. KIX-KUL will be operated by 350 beginning August too, but F class is not open for reservations yet (and certain NRT-KUL flights are operated by 380. Sold as 3-cabin as well).
Thanks! I only see business class on BA website but no availability on first. I might just book business for now and will change if I see F space later on.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 5:52 pm

Just booked a KUL-LHR in F - very easy process with very competent agent . I also have a regional MH J class award and indeed it seems like U space for J award has only one seat allocated - not sure if they open space closer to departure - anyone have any recent experiences with MH opening up U award space after the initial one is gone ?
Old Sep 25, 2018, 10:39 pm

Programs: Amex MR, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, AS MVP
Anybody have recent success booking MH First with AAdvantage miles? The BA website shows loads of availability on the KUL-NRT flight for the date I want, but the AAgent I talked to said it wasn't available. I'm not sure if they just can't see it for some reason, if it's BA showing phantom availability, or what. I did see that the AA website is able to book MH awards now, but they only show economy and business.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 12:05 am

Programs: Amex MR, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, AS MVP
Originally Posted by taliesin
Anybody have recent success booking MH First with AAdvantage miles? The BA website shows loads of availability on the KUL-NRT flight for the date I want, but the AAgent I talked to said it wasn't available. I'm not sure if they just can't see it for some reason, if it's BA showing phantom availability, or what. I did see that the AA website is able to book MH awards now, but they only show economy and business.
Well it turned out to be a HUCA situation. I back today and was able to book it. I don't know if specifically mentioning to the agent that she should look for the P booking code did the trick or what, but in any case she found it.
JDiver likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 1:53 am

Programs: AA PPro, TP Gold, UA Silver, Bonvoy/Hilton Gold, Global Entry
How are MH regional flights for AA awards handled?

I'm looking at NRT-KUL-SGN for instance, and NRT-KUL has P U X available, but those fare classes are not available for KUL-SGN according to EF.
When booking a U class award, the AA website seems to be able to push through an economy award for the KUL-SGN leg despite lack of X inventory visible in EF.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by JMBResona
How are MH regional flights for AA awards handled?

I'm looking at NRT-KUL-SGN for instance, and NRT-KUL has P U X available, but those fare classes are not available for KUL-SGN according to EF.
When booking a U class award, the AA website seems to be able to push through an economy award for the KUL-SGN leg despite lack of X inventory visible in EF.
There are some problems with MH's PUX (P is a revenue fare now, not an award travel class) on EF. EF isn't showing it as available even though it is. The availability that you see at aa.com almost always reflect the true award availability on MH (minimal phantom IME). I've even seen it where it's unavailable on ba.com but bookable on aa.com

MH might also be doing married segment award availability (AFAIK, they don't on award, only revenue).

Last edited by nov11; Jul 10, 2019 at 9:45 am
Old Jul 10, 2019, 11:04 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
Through American's app I'm seeing award availability in Business for 30k miles one-way KUL-KIX or "First" for 40k miles one-way same route. Does "First" mean what MH calls "Business Suite", the mini-cabin of just four seats 1-2-1 at the front of the A350 used on that route?
Old Jul 10, 2019, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by MegatopLover
Through American's app I'm seeing award availability in Business for 30k miles one-way KUL-KIX or "First" for 40k miles one-way same route. Does "First" mean what MH calls "Business Suite", the mini-cabin of just four seats 1-2-1 at the front of the A350 used on that route?
Yes, for all intent and purposes, "Business Suite" is the old "First". I am surprised you can book Business Suite using miles though. I thought you can't, but good news nonetheless.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 11:43 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
Originally Posted by nov11
Yes, for all intent and purposes, "Business Suite" is the old "First". I am surprised you can book Business Suite using miles though. I thought you can't, but good news nonetheless.
Thanks. We'll see if I can actually book it. Getting some sort of error on the app. I'll try calling AA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.