Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Redeeming Miles for Awards on Malaysia Airlines / MH (Master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 1, 2013, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Awards book into P (First Class), U (Business Class) and X (Economy Class). Awards do not incur "YQ" fees; MH now seems to be releasing F award seats to AA (post #173).

Link to Malaysia Airlines website

Link to archived announcement of MH to join oneworld FT thread.
Print Wikipost

Redeeming Miles for Awards on Malaysia Airlines / MH (Master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2016, 7:57 am

Programs: AA EP
Originally Posted by DCtrAAveler
Curious about this myself. Have BKK-KUL-DPS flights from 26 and 29 Nov that I'm waiting to see posted. Segments in D and Z, so all should earn on AA. Those factor into my requal for the year, which is coming down to the wire, so I'm anxious for the mileage to show up.
My last MH posted in 48 hours (on a Thursday I believe). Was very surprised it was that quick. Am guessing MH does a batch to AA maybe once a week and I just hit it perfectly?
Old Dec 8, 2016, 3:55 am
kkg

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1MM/1k
My MH flights were on Nov 29 and Dec 3. All of them showed up in my AA account on Dec 6.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 10:04 pm

I'm looking for award flights on MH for LGK-KUL (as part of a longer itin). For July many of the dates have a max of 3 seats in economy. Does MH only release 3 at a time? I need 4.
Old Mar 14, 2017, 4:51 pm

Programs: QFF, AAdvantage, All
Originally Posted by whistler814
I'm looking for award flights on MH for LGK-KUL (as part of a longer itin). For July many of the dates have a max of 3 seats in economy. Does MH only release 3 at a time? I need 4.
The number of seats due to the size of the aircraft would be a limiting factor...can you have 2 pax traveling 3-4 hours apart?....or perhaps 1 traveling in business?
Old Apr 20, 2017, 1:14 am

Programs: Show me the points!
FYI I worked with EF today to add P U X to Award search - it should now be visible to all.

Note: EF works by individual segment, so while you may see availability on both legs, when the airline prices it as one journey it may no longer exist due to married segment logic.

Last edited by nichojo; Apr 20, 2017 at 2:26 am
Old Apr 24, 2017, 3:59 am

Question folks. Trying to find availability on BA. MNL-KUL shows availability, so too KUL-LHR. But when I do a search MNL-LHR nothing appears even though the stopover would more than fulfill the MCT at KL airport. What gives? Would AA agents be able to ticket it? Would the taxes and fees also be calculated as a one-way from MNL-LHR?
Cheers.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 4:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by waver99
Question folks. Trying to find availability on BA. MNL-KUL shows availability, so too KUL-LHR. But when I do a search MNL-LHR nothing appears even though the stopover would more than fulfill the MCT at KL airport. What gives? Would AA agents be able to ticket it? Would the taxes and fees also be calculated as a one-way from MNL-LHR?
Cheers.
As long as there are no other issues, such as married sector logic, then should have no problem when you call to book
Old Apr 24, 2017, 6:48 am

Originally Posted by waver99
Cheers.
I saw this too for the flight I am eyeballing.

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
As long as there are no other issues, such as married sector logic, then should have no problem when you call to book
Qantas was unable to piece the two together for the one I want. Who knows.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 11:45 am

Programs: Platinum Pro. .Hilton Honors Gold,
Just wanted to share my experience booking Malaysia Airlines today using AAdvantage miles. It was easy ! I saw on EF that there was 1 business partner award available booking code U. I called the Aadvantage Gold service desk. The automated voice came on and they called me back in half an hour. I told the agent the date , flight number, etc and the award was booked without hesitation. From KUL PVG on the a330 in new business class. It was 22,500 miles and $18 tax and fee. 5 1/2 hour flight. Within Asia 2 region. Then I refreshed the screen on EF and the partner award availability updated from 1 available to 0 .

Last edited by D3Kingg; Jun 19, 2017 at 11:53 am
Old Jun 20, 2017, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by D3KingAmerican
Just wanted to share my experience booking Malaysia Airlines today using AAdvantage miles. It was easy ! I saw on EF that there was 1 business partner award available booking code U. I called the Aadvantage Gold service desk. The automated voice came on and they called me back in half an hour. I told the agent the date , flight number, etc and the award was booked without hesitation. From KUL PVG on the a330 in new business class. It was 22,500 miles and $18 tax and fee. 5 1/2 hour flight. Within Asia 2 region. Then I refreshed the screen on EF and the partner award availability updated from 1 available to 0 .
Thanks for that data point!
D3Kingg likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 12:03 pm

Hello all
I flew TYO-USA on JL.
However, the ticket was sold by and coded as an MH flight.
(MH xxxx flight number Operated by JL xx; Fare class "C").

This flight has not yet posted to my AAdvantage account. I did submit the "missing miles" request...

However, when reading the following on AA.com:
https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...a-airlines.jsp

That page does not list USA as a destination for MH flights....(of course MH does not fly to the USA.....but, codeshare OneWorld partners do!).

Has anyone had experience with this type of situation? This is a big chunk of EQM's / EQD's....hoping I can get them!
Old Jun 27, 2017, 12:41 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
Originally Posted by ft4lyf
Hello all
I flew TYO-USA on JL.
However, the ticket was sold by and coded as an MH flight.
(MH xxxx flight number Operated by JL xx; Fare class "C").

This flight has not yet posted to my AAdvantage account. I did submit the "missing miles" request...

However, when reading the following on AA.com:
https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...a-airlines.jsp

That page does not list USA as a destination for MH flights....(of course MH does not fly to the USA.....but, codeshare OneWorld partners do!).

Has anyone had experience with this type of situation? This is a big chunk of EQM's / EQD's....hoping I can get them!
Just found this. This isn't great news

I am guessing no updates on this yet?

Were there other segments on MH with the same booking, and if yes did those post?
Old Jun 28, 2017, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by knit-in
Just found this. This isn't great news

I am guessing no updates on this yet?

Were there other segments on MH with the same booking, and if yes did those post?
I suggest you read this post:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28433130-post34.html

I could not select seats on JL via any avenue ...until I reached NRT...just before my JL flight.
JL is known to do this when their flights are booked as codeshares by other airlines.
If you can deal with not having a seat assignment till you get to NRT...then, go for it.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 8:34 am

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
Originally Posted by ft4lyf
I suggest you read this post:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28433130-post34.html

I could not select seats on JL via any avenue ...until I reached NRT...just before my JL flight.
JL is known to do this when their flights are booked as codeshares by other airlines.
If you can deal with not having a seat assignment till you get to NRT...then, go for it.
Thanks for this, I will keep it in mind.

As of now, the flight I am looking at is operated on a 787-8 so at least there isn't the fear of being stuck in the middle.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by knit-in
Thanks for this, I will keep it in mind.

As of now, the flight I am looking at is operated on a 787-8 so at least there isn't the fear of being stuck in the middle.
^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.