Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Redeeming Miles for Awards on Malaysia Airlines / MH (Master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 1, 2013, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Awards book into P (First Class), U (Business Class) and X (Economy Class). Awards do not incur "YQ" fees; MH now seems to be releasing F award seats to AA (post #173).

Link to Malaysia Airlines website

Link to archived announcement of MH to join oneworld FT thread.
Print Wikipost

Redeeming Miles for Awards on Malaysia Airlines / MH (Master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2013, 12:05 am

Programs: AA ExPlat HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Rpcfly
Hmmmmn......No elite bonus showing for flights taken on MH. I wonder if it's a website anomaly !!!
I did call AA about this, and talked to the Exec Plat desk. They weren't sure as well. He said to call back on Monday morning and ask for AAdvantage customer service.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 12:50 am

Programs: AA - EXP, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, UK - Gold
having MH is awesome... just cut my BOM-MNL commute by 7 hrs... wait in HKG was getting gruesome... used to be a 5hr layover on the way to MNL and 6hr lay over on the way back.. now 3hrs on the way to and 1 hr on the way back KUL
Old Feb 4, 2013, 8:46 am

Programs: AA ExPlat HH Diamond
Learned a couple of things tonight:
1. Called the AAdvantage customer service desk. Agent and Supervisor both assured me (after 30 minutes), that ExPlat will get 100% elite bonus for MH flights.
2. Called MH and asked about baggage allowances. For a flight to the States, in J, two pieces are allowed per their J class fare. Each can way up to 70 lbs. As an Emerald, the allowance increases one bag, but it can only weigh 50 lbs.
3. MH also told me that if I book a Y ticket and wanted an advance (before 48 hours) seat assignment, that I would have to pay the fee to pre reserve. No allowances are currently in place for oneworld emerald members.

Hope this info helps so travelers.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Penguinmoon
Learned a couple of things tonight:
1. Called the AAdvantage customer service desk. Agent and Supervisor both assured me (after 30 minutes), that ExPlat will get 100% elite bonus for MH flights.
2. Called MH and asked about baggage allowances. For a flight to the States, in J, two pieces are allowed per their J class fare. Each can way up to 70 lbs. As an Emerald, the allowance increases one bag, but it can only weigh 50 lbs.
3. MH also told me that if I book a Y ticket and wanted an advance (before 48 hours) seat assignment, that I would have to pay the fee to pre reserve. No allowances are currently in place for oneworld emerald members.

Hope this info helps so travelers.
Thanks.

Just called AAdvantage CS as well - the agent I spoke to wasn't sure about the EXP bonus though. She wasn't able to find anything definitive and thus didn't commit to it either way.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 9:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT, FPC PLT, Hyatt Gold Passport Diamond
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
You can't see MH award inventory on Sabre..

For what its worth, F is booked as P class cos I just booked an award last wk. I'.
Did you actually book P class, I.e. First Class on MH with AA award? I thought MH First Class is unavailable to AA award right now. Can you clarify?
Old Feb 5, 2013, 7:59 am

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by 1stClassFamily
Did you actually book P class, I.e. First Class on MH with AA award? I thought MH First Class is unavailable to AA award right now. Can you clarify?
I believe GB used Virgin points to book the MH F award
Old Feb 5, 2013, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by ma91pmh
I believe GB used Virgin points to book the MH F award
Yes, I booked P class using VS miles. Ticket was issued on 1 Feb.
Flying tomorrow !
Old Feb 5, 2013, 5:36 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Originally Posted by Gamecock
^

I had an award flight on hold for later this year, wanted to got to HKT but could only book NYC-HGK-BKK. (J Cabin) Needed to pay by tonight. When I called I was able to change it to HKG-KUL on CX and hop over to HKT on MH. Agent was very competent and personable.
DATAPOINT:

BLUF: MH inventory appears to be very fluid.

To provide more details, the above reservation is for a family of 5 in late December. When I booked it a couple nights ago I was able to get 4J, 1Y on the KUL-HKT seg. Tonight I checked availability for that seg and it was showing J1 on the BA module of KVS. QA showed J0. I called AA and they saw the one seat and all 5 of us are now in J. (5 of 8 seats on a 737-800)

Last edited by Gamecock; Feb 5, 2013 at 7:07 pm
Old Feb 5, 2013, 11:11 pm

Programs: AA PRO
Originally Posted by utpharmdoc
Originally Posted by hillrider
For those of you who hold MH award reservations, could you please post what inventory they're using in Sabre for them (first/business/economy)?

Thx.
I booked biz on MH, it was U inventory.
I booked economy on MH today via AAdvantage - the fare code on my ticket is X.
The EXP agent said that U is for business. I didn't ask about First.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 5:34 am

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
interesting fact for those with children (or those trying to be as far away as possible from them on a flight): MH has a "kids free" zone in Y on the upper deck of their A380s. No children under 12 allowed up there. This is in addition to their long-standing 'no kids in first class' policy.
Advance seat reservations in Y on MH generally have fees attached to them, no status-based exceptions at all. Even Enrich Platinum members have to pay.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 6:47 am

Programs: UA-GS, AA-EXP
AA is now showing MH as gaining Elite status bonus....^^

I will report the mileage that's put in to my account as I did KUL-NRT and back again 2/1 and 2/4..Hopefully it won't take more than4 weeks as it usually does when I put the miles in my MH account...
Old Feb 6, 2013, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by bhomburg
No children under 12 allowed up there. .
Huh? Jet Airways booked me a First class award on MH. Its for a child under 12. Are you telling me that they will deny him boarding?
Old Feb 6, 2013, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by bhomburg
This is in addition to their long-standing 'no kids in first class' policy.
MH.com currently sells kids tickets in First class. I just priced one.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 4:46 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA EXP - 1MM, BAEC BRZ, BVY GLD, Hilton DIA, Hyatt GLB
No Infants

Its infants not kids that are not allowed in F
Old Feb 6, 2013, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by KL808
Its infants not kids that are not allowed in F
And under 12 are not allowed on the upper deck of the A380

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/ar...#axzz2KAZHPRNK

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.