Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Redeeming Miles for Awards on Malaysia Airlines / MH (Master thread)

Old Feb 1, 2013, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Awards book into P (First Class), U (Business Class) and X (Economy Class). Awards do not incur "YQ" fees; MH now seems to be releasing F award seats to AA (post #173).

Link to Malaysia Airlines website

Link to archived announcement of MH to join oneworld FT thread.
Print Wikipost

Redeeming Miles for Awards on Malaysia Airlines / MH (Master thread)

Old Feb 2, 2013, 7:50 pm

Programs: UA, AA, BMI, MR, HH, PC
Originally Posted by ma91pmh
Very dissapointing if F redemptions will not be available. Have to say I am surprised too, I don't see how MH gets away with no F awards when the likes of CX make it open.

Still it's early days and things may change.

Good to see AA not charging YQ. BA are charging it no surprise and it can be pretty high.
Lack of YQ balanced out by availability though. BA have many dates and routes open for redemptions including Christma and New Year that AA call centre do not seem to have available.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 8:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by charismony
I want to purchase a ticket originating from India from the airline website. Is there any way to charge my credit card USD rather than INR?
Originally Posted by no1cub17
Have you looked for the same itinerary on US-based booking sites like expedia/orbitz/cheapoair/etc? They'll charge in USD, but often have different availability.
To do this one way is to go to kayak.com and search for routing. They will probably give an option to buy from orbitz.com. If you go directly to orbitz I don't think it will allow you to search for routings without a US destination.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by Gamecock
^

I had an award flight on hold for later this year, wanted to got to HKT but could only book NYC-HGK-BKK. (J Cabin) Needed to pay by tonight. When I called I was able to change it to HKG-KUL on CX and hop over to HKT on MH. Agent was very competent and personable.
A very similar routing to mine. That HKG-KUL route is going to be very popular as a gateway to MH's network.

Also now worth noting that OneWorld can get to the Maldives via HKG-KUL-MLE instead of the 1x weekly (or is it 2x?) BA flight. 4hr flight from KUL on a 737-800 after a very long trip to KUL from the US, but at least it's daily.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 9:23 pm

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by ScottieFlyer
Lack of YQ balanced out by availability though. BA have many dates and routes open for redemptions including Christma and New Year that AA call centre do not seem to have available.
My bet is it's just bad call center reps not knowing how to look over AA and BA having different availability
Old Feb 2, 2013, 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by ma91pmh
My bet is it's just bad call center reps not knowing how to look over AA and BA having different availability
Yes, i am hoping so. Two agents yesterday claimed nothing available HKT to GLA at all while another offered me a routing via HKG with too long connection so this might confirm your point. Also wondered if weekend agents are part time and might be a little less competent than those on weekdays so I will try again tomorrow. On Froday agent redeemed me J KUL GLA no problem at all amd was even up to speed on BA domestc conne tion issues out of LHR. I though also AA might have been refusing milesaver because of holiday season but I was not offered anytime award either..
Old Feb 2, 2013, 10:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SK
Just out of curiosity, I checked the ticket price for those fare bases that would earn miles on Malaysia Airlines (MH), using ita.
Based on aa.com's mileage earning table for MH, the LAX-NRT fares for travel 3/13-20 are:

[...]

So, for $108 more than the non-earning fare basis, you can get 50% base miles, which is not that bad a deal.
Assuming that the above fares are round-trip, the 5451 miles you get (50% of roundtrip) for $108 will cost you 1.98c each.

This is far from a good deal, actually you pay more for them than what they're worth if you value them in the typical 1.5-1.8c/mile range!
Old Feb 3, 2013, 1:31 am
tt7

Originally Posted by ScottieFlyer
I though also AA might have been refusing milesaver because of holiday season but I was not offered anytime award either..
I'm not sure what flights you're referring to but anytime awards only apply to AA-metal flights.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 1:58 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by UA Fan
To do this one way is to go to kayak.com and search for routing. They will probably give an option to buy from orbitz.com. If you go directly to orbitz I don't think it will allow you to search for routings without a US destination.
Not true - orbitz/expedia and the like definitely allow one to search their sites directly for int'l itineraries. Fares usually aren't competitive though.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 2:00 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by hillrider
Assuming that the above fares are round-trip, the 5451 miles you get (50% of roundtrip) for $108 will cost you 1.98c each.

This is far from a good deal, actually you pay more for them than what they're worth if you value them in the typical 1.5-1.8c/mile range!
Well I can see the point though - those miles may come in awful handy - say if at the end of the year you were just a few thousand short of requalifying, you'd be kicking yourself saying jeez if only I'd spent the extra $100 back then I wouldn't have this issue...instead of wondering about doing a MR, etc...
Old Feb 3, 2013, 6:08 am

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
Originally Posted by no1cub17
Well I can see the point though - those miles may come in awful handy - say if at the end of the year you were just a few thousand short of requalifying, you'd be kicking yourself saying jeez if only I'd spent the extra $100 back then I wouldn't have this issue...instead of wondering about doing a MR, etc...
yep. Especially since the difference between cheapest offered and earning miles fare class isn't that high. I booked a CDG-KUL-HKT trip on them in March and upfared to a mile-earning fare class (M) for a mere 54 Euros more. Seeing that with the DRDM promotion this trip will net me almost 14,000 RDM and 7,000 EQM, that's a no-brainer. Where else do you get this many EQM for so little money?
That said, their fares undercut everyone else by a third in business as well as economy, and I cannot really fault them not handing out miles for these heavily discounted fares. Looking forward to their A380 service!
Pleasantly surprised about their KUL reservations agents as well. Knowledgeable agent had no problem quoting me different fare classes and getting me the cheapest available that'll earn me miles on AA. He even mentioned that I'll enjoy my ten-hour layover in KUL in their renowned first-class lounge - they obviously have been trained on OW stuff.

Things I do not like:
I just looked at their seating policy (being 6'4", having legroom is the single most important thing to me when it comes to airlines), and according to their "favorite spot" policy, their seating and baggage policies are more European LCC than five-star airline. They charge extra for advance seat assignments (anything before check-in at T-48) even on full-fare tickets and/or for their top-tier elites. Will pony up the ~$50 fee for an exit row seat at least for the return. They're still several hundred cheaper than everything else on that route...
Same with baggage - 20kgs in economy regardless of fare class or status is ridiculous, and I see no mention of the OW-standardized emerald status extra allowance on their website anywhere (but the agent knew and told me).
Old Feb 3, 2013, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat
Would anyone know if there are any valid routings on MH from Europe to India? Long shot I know but really wanna try out the A380.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by onlysuites
Would anyone know if there are any valid routings on MH from Europe to India? Long shot I know but really wanna try out the A380.
Uh? The routing makes no sense as it's almost exactly twice as long!!

You can try out the A380 (well worth it) between those areas on oneworld metal by taking the QF one to DXB as of 31MAR.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 9:01 am
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
I have been on Malaysia's website and AA.com and cannot find a way to see Malaysia's J fares Lax-Nrt for my like. Looking at various dates in June and July. All I can find is coach fares. Anyone help me on what I am doing wrong.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by tt7
I'm not sure what flights you're referring to but anytime awards only apply to AA-metal flights.
Ah ok, I am very infrequent user of AA. You were correct about agents. I called back today and a great agent wasted no time securing me business on MH for HKT-KUL-LHRR-GLA for $88 plus €15 tax and fees for those interested in cost.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 9:42 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz PC, AMEX PLT
And the mystery is over: http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/ea...iaairlines.jsp

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.