Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Redeeming Miles for Awards on Malaysia Airlines / MH (Master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 1, 2013, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Awards book into P (First Class), U (Business Class) and X (Economy Class). Awards do not incur "YQ" fees; MH now seems to be releasing F award seats to AA (post #173).

Link to Malaysia Airlines website

Link to archived announcement of MH to join oneworld FT thread.
Print Wikipost

Redeeming Miles for Awards on Malaysia Airlines / MH (Master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2016, 11:09 pm

I suppose that would be the right dept, just not sure how to get in touch with them. I'll try to play around and see.
Old Mar 23, 2016, 11:44 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
I can see lots of MH award availability on ba.com when I search for just 1 seat but almost nothing at all for 2 or more.

I would book online with Avios as I have done in the past but it seems BA have just recently started applying YQ to MH awards and that, especially with Y redemptions, makes then very poor value against a revenue booking.
Old Mar 28, 2016, 5:45 am

Running into same problem. I'm trying to add a flight from SIN->KUL but agents can't see availability or even flight. BA website shows a ton of options in both economy and business. Tried calling the Australia line as well with no luck. Trying to decide whether to add on the flight earlier in the day they could find and try switching later or just to book from KUL and book the SIN->KUL leg separately. Decisions decisions.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 10:05 pm

Update.

So was able to get the flights. HUCA worked. The US-based agent was able to find all the same flights as on the BA website. She said something about only being able to see 2 flights at a time and having to adjust the time she was looking at to see any others. Don't know if that makes sense but might be worth mentioning if you're having problems.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 10:40 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
Trying to figure out what the deal is with availability shown Expert Flyer vs BA.com. BA.com shows very spotty and low #s of award seats (these are for intra SE Asia flights) while EF shows copious availability across the three award buckets it displays (supposedly L, K and Y for economy). Anyone with any insight? I need 5x seats and only 1 way, so the $$ prices are quite high and I'd love to get most if not all of us award tickets if possible. Wanted to have myself armed before I call AA to try to book and wondering if the low BA.com numbers are indeed accurate.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 11:50 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
Originally Posted by stephem
Trying to figure out what the deal is with availability shown Expert Flyer vs BA.com. BA.com shows very spotty and low #s of award seats (these are for intra SE Asia flights) while EF shows copious availability across the three award buckets it displays (supposedly L, K and Y for economy). Anyone with any insight? I need 5x seats and only 1 way, so the $$ prices are quite high and I'd love to get most if not all of us award tickets if possible. Wanted to have myself armed before I call AA to try to book and wondering if the low BA.com numbers are indeed accurate.
BA.com is pretty accurate. L, K, and Y are revenue booking classes on MH. P, U, X are the award booking classes for MH (in F, J, Y respectively).
Old Apr 4, 2016, 2:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Expert Flyer is showing award availability as it relates to Enrich members. Enrich has 3 levels of awards in economy , all of which use revenue classes. Level 1 uses L,V or S class, level 2 uses Y or M class and level 3 uses Y,B or H class

For redemptions using other airline miles, then X class is required - BA is pretty good at showing X availability. It would seem that Expert Flyer may not have access to show X class
Old Apr 25, 2016, 5:55 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
MH (Malaysia) I class doesn't earn any miles/EQM?

According to aa.com, MH I (discounted business) class don't credit to AAdv at all. Anyone had experience that they actually do (ie, the website just doesn't show I class as an earning inventory)?
Old Apr 25, 2016, 6:01 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold (GGL/CCR), HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by SFO_FT
According to aa.com, MH I (discounted business) class don't credit to AAdv at all. Anyone had experience that they actually do (ie, the website just doesn't show I class as an earning inventory)?
MH doesn't earn for BA either on I class.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 11:13 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
Ah the good I class on MH.

Technically, it's an upgrade and revenue business class. See MHUpgrade thread for more details. When you book an Economy ticket on MH, you can bid for an upgrade via MHUpgrade. If your bid is successful, your ticket will be re-issued in I class.

However, having that said, many OW partners also books into revenue I class when it's on BA/AA I fares (i.e. paid business). I don't know if MH is aware of this, but yes, MH I doesn't earn any miles because according to MH's system, it's an economy ticket upgraded to business (and MH doesn't publish any I fares - their cheapest business tickets are booked in Z).

Very similar to AA's A class - it can be an upgrade from SWU or revenue first. Difference is AA's A also has an underlying fare paid class so other carriers/AA will know how to credit it appropriately.
Old Apr 26, 2016, 12:47 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by SFO_FT
I'll shift this into the MH earn/burn master thread.

~Moderator
Old Jun 24, 2016, 11:38 am

Question Denied Mileage credit by AA on paid discounted RTW MH business class

Assistance from the gurus please
Recently completed RTW 3 Continent Oneworld Explorer in discounted business (I CLASS). Ticketing was by AA Oneworld desk on AA 001 ticket stock. The entire journey was in I class enabling a slightly lower fare than D. One leg from CGK to BKK via KUL was with MH. MH accepted the res, sold business seats and the leg was uneventful. But no credit appeared on my AA statement.

When I enquired of Aadvantage rec'd the following puzzling response

[I]Dear XXXXXX,

Thank you for sending us the information we needed.

Regrettably, your travel was ineligible for mileage credit based on the
fare purchased, indicated by the booking class 'I' on your ticket
receipt. I'm sorry to disappoint you.

To review information regarding AAdvantage mileage earning and
redemption guidelines, please visit aa.com/airlines at your convenience.

Finally, let me say how much we appreciate your business as an
AAdvantage Executive PlatinumŽ member. Thanks!

Regards,

Sally A.
AAdvantage Customer Service
American Airlines

It looks like a bureaucratic interpretation of the different codes attached to different fare buckets. MH offers J C D Z buckets for paid business and the offer mileage credit in each. Their Z appears to be the equivalent of I on other members of the Oneworld Alliance including AA. MH offers mileage credit on virtually all paid classes including deeply discounted coach but AA is denying credit because fare is I and MH has no I

Catch 22. How best to resolve? Any advice would be appreciated. If either AA or Oneworld monitor this forum I would appreciate some guidance.

Thanks to all.

I will let you know how it turns out

Frustrated Emerald Oneworld and AA Execplat
Old Jun 24, 2016, 12:22 pm
Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
Moving this to the AA board as it involves AAdvantage issues.

Gardyloo
Oneworld moderator
Old Jun 24, 2016, 12:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by yegexpat
It looks like a bureaucratic interpretation of the different codes attached to different fare buckets. MH offers J C D Z buckets for paid business and the offer mileage credit in each. Their Z appears to be the equivalent of I on other members of the Oneworld Alliance including AA. MH offers mileage credit on virtually all paid classes including deeply discounted coach but AA is denying credit because fare is I and MH has no I
It's not so much a "bureaucratic interpretation" as a factual one -- only fares booked in the listed codes earn miles, period. If you actually booked an MH-marketed and operated flight in I, then by definition MH does have I (but likely sells it only in special circumstances, like your RTW ticket). Although it may seem unfair or inconsistent for these fares to be excluded from AA's mileage earning table, the rules are what they are and you probably have no recourse.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
See this thread for similar reports:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...thread-31.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.